Sex + Love

The Complete Guide to Kissing

Smooch unto others as you would have them smooch unto you.

OK. On to the nitty-gritty.

I think the hardest part about first kisses is not the kissing itself, but knowing how to initiate it.

How do you know when you are about to kiss or be kissed?

Sometimes it’s obvious and the kiss happens in a really predictable setting. Your first kiss might be a dare, or part of a game. You might be going out with someone—let’s say it’s a girl—and she tells people at school that she’s going to kiss you. (This is a rare gift, because now y0u have time to properly freak out about it with your friends.) When you’re young, first kisses often happen at or after school dances, or at the end of the night when you’re going home from a place you went to together, either just the two of you or with a group.

Thankfully, if you’re both into each other, it’s usually pretty easy to tell when a kiss is about to happen.

One of you might be looking intently at the other’s face for longer than is normal. You might feel shy or nervous or like you want to laugh. But a pretty good rule of thumb is: if someone’s face is really close to your face, and they’re looking at you intensely, or you guys are laughing about something but your faces are WAY CLOSER THAN IS NORMAL FOR FRIENDS and you feel a kind of charge in the air—then it might be kissin’ time. If you feel like it, lean in a little closer, and do…

The Intro Kiss

This is the first kiss you ever have with a new person. It’s simultaneously a greeting and announcement (“Hi! I like you!”), and a way for you to get a sense of how the other person kisses, to see if it’s compatible with the way you like to kiss.

Here’s how you do it:

1. Lean in.
  2. Check to make sure that your crush is also leaning in toward you. (You don’t want to be moving your face, eyes closed and lips puckered, toward someone who is playing Bejeweled on their phone, totally unaware of the plane that’s coming in for a landing…on their face.)
  3. Optional: close your eyes. (When in doubt, I say close ’em: it’s traditional, and it solves the problem of how weird it would be to see another person that close up.)
  4. Tilt your head to the right or left—if your partner is starting to tilt in one direction, you go the opposite way. This is so your noses don’t collide before your lips do. If you can’t tell which way the other person’s gonna tilt, your best bet is to go right (meaning your right ear moves ever so slightly—like an inch or two—toward your right shoulder). I’d say most people go right like 95% of the time. (And if you make a miscalculation, just laugh it off and keep going.)
  5. Gently touch your lips to your date’s lips. No big SMACKS (you’re not kissing your grandmother or your dog); no wide-open mouth (you’re not trying to devour your partner). Just your lips, about as open as they are when you’re just breathing through your mouth.
  6. At this point, you can apply a little pressure. Your lips are doing that kissing thing you do when you kiss your pets and relatives, but like 80% softer, and your lips are lingering on theirs about 500% percent longer. Hopefully by now your date will have started kissing you back, just as gently. And hoooraaaaay, you’re kissing!

If the idea of kissing someone’s mouth is still a bit scary, and/or you’re really shy, you can always do the adorable Cheek Kiss/Smile Combo, which goes like this:

1. You’re sitting next to your crush.
  2. You really want to kiss him/her but really don’t know how to start.
  3. Quickly, like a sparrow, you dart in, kiss the side of their cheek, and then, when they look at you, you grin adorably at them while biting your lip.

(This works really well for same-sex first kisses when you’re not sure if the other person is interested in girls, because if they react like “Um, what are you doing??” you can act like ha ha ha NOTHING, you’re just really friendly and love hanging out with them!)

Folks, an Intro Kiss is not about making out. It’s a gateway kiss–the kiss that lets you know whether someone (a) likes you the way you like them and (b) feels right to kiss.

Kissing is actually pretty hard to describe, you guys. Is this nice, soft intro kiss good? Do you like it? Is everyone happy? Great! If you want, you can stop here. Orrrrr you can advance to…

French Kissing

I know this feels like a major jump, but french kissing just means using your tongue, and you can definitely use your tongue without SERIOUSLY MAKING OUT. If your tongues touch, you’re frenching. The end.

So you’re Intro Kissing, lips only, and it’s nice, and you’re liking it, and you want to go further. Try opening your mouth juuuuust a little bit more. (Your date will probably open her or his mouth more too, either because they’ve done this before and know what’s up or because they’re following your lead and are enjoying this as much as you are.)

With your mouth open, gently (gently is the key word here, folks) touch your date’s tongue with your tongue, then tongue-retreat back to your own mouth. Don’t like STICK YOUR TONGUE IN HIS/HER MOUTH without any warning, or stick your tongue really far back in their mouth. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with that per se, but for the first-time french kiss with someone? Give them a minute before you go licking their molars. Your partner will probably understand quickly what’s happening, and will hopefully touch your tongue with their tongue. Soft. Gentle.

Your tongue is pretty relaxed during all this, but never totally idle—keep it moving in a calm, languid way, like licking an ice cream cone. Don’t give your partner a totally flaccid, listless tongue, but don’t stiffen up either, for either of these two extremes is equally gross to receive.

Once you’ve started frenching, you can always go back to kissing sans tongue. Retract your tongue and do some more Intro-style kissing. Vary open-mouthed tongue kissing with closed-mouth kissing. (If you keep your mouths open the entire time, things can get pretty sloppy fast.) Keep kissing with your lips, and add just a touch of tongue here and there. It’s much better that way, and you can move into MAKING OUT later.

Making Out

Making out is when you’ve been kissing for a while and there are open mouths and frenching and the tongues are…not being quite so polite. Making out is when your arms are around each other and the tongues are really going at it and you’re kissing for longer than say, 30 seconds. A makeout session is basically you and your partner trying to get as close as possible without actually consuming one another. Hands roam all over the place; you will probably get turned on. This is the most intense form of kissing, and it can last for a very, very long time.

But no discussion of kissing would be complete without mentioning the basic anti-kiss: a kiss that’s the opposite of all the ones we’ve talked about so far. And that is:

The Non-Sexual Peck

The peck is what your mom gives you on the top of your head, or the way you kiss your dad, grandpa, grandma, or other relation on the cheek. The peck is affectionate but completely nonsexual, and that is why in movies, when the hero wants to kiss a girl goodnight and she very obviously turns her face so he can kiss her cheek, we all know NOTHING is going to happen between them. If someone is aiming for your mouth and you turn your cheek dramatically and on purpose, that is, in our society, a clear-cut “You’re nice but no thanks, I’m not romantically interested” signal. A peck can hurt someone’s feelings, but sometimes you don’t feel romantic about someone, and it can’t be helped.

1 2 3

• alylee April 3rd, 2013 3:13 PM

With my current boyfriend we definitely could use all of this advice… but then we got so comfortable together that now we make it a competition to be a worse horrible kisser than the other.

• lizzyheinie April 3rd, 2013 9:49 PM

Wait, that is the cutest/funniest thing ever and I love that. I’m totally pulling that on the next guy I get serious with. Rookie is the best.

• Blythe April 4th, 2013 3:45 AM

That is seriously one of the most adorable things I have ever heard.

• Kailley Anders April 6th, 2013 10:04 PM

My boyfriend and I do the same thing! We’re not the only ones! Huzzah!

• rosiesayrelax April 3rd, 2013 3:15 PM

Omygosh, it feels like I have waited a lifetime for a how to kiss. I mean, literally every magazine I read as a teen (I am still a teen, so I don’t know why I sound so nostalgic) was filled with “how do I kiss a boy” and blah blah blah, and the only answer they got was, “when you know you know” or “it’s instinctive”. Finally, a frank answer. Now just to find someone to practise on…

• Arabelle April 3rd, 2013 3:27 PM

i wanna kiss your face for writing such a perfect adorable article about kissing i love you krista

• michelle vassar April 7th, 2013 10:15 AM

i get this!!!!! haha!!

• faithdarwin April 3rd, 2013 3:32 PM

True story: I just had my first kiss this weekend. (It’s worth noting that I’m 21, so if you’re a teenager and feeling like you’re weird for never having been kissed, don’t worry about it). It was so unexpected and abrupt! I may or may not have gone to my computer immediately afterwards and googled “how to make out.”

• Abby April 3rd, 2013 3:56 PM

18-year-old kiss virgin over here. GUYS I WANT A FIRST KISS GODDAMN IT SOMEONE MAKE OUT WITH ME.

• littlebirdmo April 3rd, 2013 6:33 PM

I FEEL YOU

• Kaetlebugg April 3rd, 2013 9:47 PM

THIS ARTICLE. <3 that is all I have to say. (well that and I absolutely love the specificity and detail that, as other commentors have pointed out, is usually missing in the far inferior articles on the topic).

• Roz G. April 4th, 2013 12:10 AM

don’t worry I got my first kiss at 18 ;)
      it was… awkward hahahaha I had NO idea what to do with my mouth but I liked the guy so much I felt so comfortble blushing and apologizing about it being told that there was nothing to apologize for and well I’ve been with the give 5 months now and it’s been amazing growing to learn what he likes and what I like and more importantly what we like together.
      Don’t dispair :)

• Miarele April 4th, 2013 5:06 AM

GURRRL. I’m turning 20 this month and a total kiss virgin too and I’ve actually been thinking about it A LOT lately so when this article comes out I’m a little bit shocked by the irony.

I feel you. Let’s all hold a prayer circle together.

• Morning Moon April 4th, 2013 8:44 PM

SAMEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

• thefilmrookie April 3rd, 2013 4:03 PM

PRAISE YOU KRISTA!!!!

• hellorose April 3rd, 2013 4:06 PM

my first kiss was with my first ever boyfriend when i was 15/16. the very first kiss was very much of the gentle super nervous type. about half an hour later we were sitting on a park bench tamely making out. it was then i realised that he was REALLY into tongue. it was like being kissed by a hyperactive puppy. afterwards i called my friend and told her that maybe i didn’t really like kissing at all.

later on in the relationship, when i was a bit more comfortable with him and with kissing, i tried the ‘i like it when we kiss gently, like this’ thing, even the ‘don’t do anything with your mouth and i will just kiss you, don’t move’ thing (which is quite mean), but to no avail. a friend of mine hooked up with him recently and confirmed the puppy likeness – nearly 7 years later and nothing’s changed! happily, although i rate him as one of the worst kissers i’ve encountered, his girlfriend after me said he was an amazing kisser so it just goes to show that everyone likes different things. our relationship didn’t last long for other reasons, though we are still good friends, but maybe there was a clue in the kiss.

• rottedteeth April 3rd, 2013 4:16 PM

Where was this article when I was having my first kiss? Would’ve saved me from nose bumps and a slimy chin.
    Thought you’d cover love bites though

• MoniMonster April 3rd, 2013 4:27 PM

Mmmmmh Kissing…

Like this: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=343742859070402&set=pb.267668720011150.-2207520000.1365020669&type=3&theater ;)

• Miarele April 4th, 2013 5:09 AM

wow did you draw that? it’s amazing, I love the subtle details and the colors! :)

• Taryn Aline April 3rd, 2013 4:50 PM

Finally something that doesn’t say that kissing is something that you naturally know how to do.
    Hur, hur, hur.
    This was great and cute and I almost choked on my cake icing at least 3 times from giggling and squealing.

• maxrey April 3rd, 2013 5:03 PM

Oh gosh, this is a great article and advice I wish I had known when I first started kissing. Just don’t get drunk first, you guys. You’ll always look back on it and feel a little ridiculous that you can barely remember your first kiss.

Also, if at first you don’t succeed, laugh it off, and try try again!

• vatfp April 5th, 2013 6:59 PM

The ‘dont get drunk first’ is great advice indeed. You’re not alone there my friend, hahaha

• talaria April 3rd, 2013 5:03 PM

Guys, I just wanna let y’all know that my first kiss was when I was 23, and I panicked so much that I have blacked the majority of it out. Then my kissee allowed me to halt proceedings, pull back, and start over. So basically. Don’t even worry about it!

• Moxx April 3rd, 2013 5:10 PM

“the feeling of a slack wet tongue resting in your mouth like a dead squid”

I am actually eating fried squid right now pls stop ahahaahaa

• Lydia Jane April 3rd, 2013 5:21 PM

Krista: thank you thank you thank you for this article!! You’re officially my hero (and this article could not have come at a better time). I’m a 17-year-old ~kiss virgin~, probably mostly because I’ve always been terrified of doing it wrong. Reading this (and the comments) made me feel 50000% more relieved and much less embarrassed, haha. Stay fabulous x

• soviet_kitsch April 3rd, 2013 6:17 PM

don’t worry about it. my first kiss happened a few months ago, two weeks before i turned 17. i had a little crush on the dude and i asked if i could kiss him, and i was so exhilarated that when we were talking afterwards my heart was POUNDING and i was shaking lmao. it turned out to be from a totally unexpected guy, so don’t lose hope. it’ll happen for you and as long as you go slow and gentle you pretty much can’t do it wrong <3

• kathryn-s April 3rd, 2013 8:58 PM

I am also a 17-year-old kiss virgin but my reason is that I can hardly stand most of the boys at my little school. SOMEONE JUST MAKE OUT WITH ME ALREADY UGHHGHH

• Jean. April 3rd, 2013 5:46 PM

What about glasses? What if you’re kissing someone who also wears glasses? What if you take your glasses off and they’re like “ew i don’t want to kiss you anymore”?

• maxrey April 3rd, 2013 6:17 PM

Glasses don’t usually get in the way.

And if he says “ew” then he doesn’t deserve to be kissing you anyway!

• Becky S April 3rd, 2013 9:31 PM

1) Glasses don’t get in the way, MOST of the time. But if you’re moving around a lot while kissing (e.g. changing head tilt directions), a few smudges are par for the course.

2) If you both wear glasses, you’ll probably clink them together at some point – and people tend to either love the clink, or hate it.

I can’t afford to replace my glasses if they get bumped out of alignment or otherwise damaged, so if I know >1 kiss is coming, I typically take them off first.

3) If they like you with glasses on but not with them off, they’re not worth kissing! Your glasses are a medical device (unless they’re hipster glasses but that’s another story) and you have the right to deploy them as YOU deem necessary.

• Alltomorrowsparties April 3rd, 2013 11:42 PM

My boyfriend and I both have big ol’ Buddy Holly glasses. It was hilarious when we first kissed, they definitely got in the way, so I (CAREFULLY) took his off. Turned out it was a huge turn-on. Add a sly smile & don’t crunch them between your bodies while youre gettin into it and you’re good to go!

• Blythe April 4th, 2013 3:47 AM

Mine never got in the way, but my ex and I were never really the makey-outey type.
      Plus my glasses are fairly small, rectangular things that don’t really get in the way of anything.
      (Plus he thought they were hot which I found more amusing than anything else.)

• billie April 3rd, 2013 5:47 PM

This article is soooo helpful! I had my first kiss when I was ninteen, but I don’t think I count it because it wasn’t consensual. I was at a bar with my friend and a random guy came up and shoved his mouth on mine and it was awful!

My real first kiss came a few months later when I was twenty and it was so much better! Pretty much exactly like a mix of the kisses described in the article.

• Tyknos93 April 3rd, 2013 6:03 PM

I just want this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z8C0y0XenM

• Morning Moon April 4th, 2013 8:47 PM

We all want!!!!!!! I’ve always imagined my first kiss like this :)

• Hannah April 3rd, 2013 6:57 PM

Does anyone have tips on how to implement lip biting into said kissing session?

• wudder April 3rd, 2013 10:30 PM

i have only ever done this successfully with a boy who i have probably spent more than a month kissing cumulatively, so we really knew our ways around each others mouths. i tried it once with someone else and there was a lost of teeth clicking involved :s i think you have to be going really slow, and one time i was like HEY WAIT STOP I WANNA BITE YOUR LIP NOW!! and it wasn’t awkward and it was fun and lip biting occurred after that

• lxmldrt April 3rd, 2013 7:30 PM

PEOPLE WHO SLOBBER WHILE KISSING ARE TOTALLY MY JAM

• mrsfigg April 3rd, 2013 8:31 PM

if you were drunk at a party with your same-sex best friend (I’m hetero) who pecked you on the lips, does that count as a first kiss?

• Abby April 4th, 2013 8:46 PM

Only if you want it to :)… One girl I know had a few drunken make outs, but she still counts her first kiss as when she kissed her now-boyfriend (while sober) lol.

• Galadriel April 3rd, 2013 8:38 PM

My first kiss when I was 13 was awful, but I did everything I THOUGHT I was supposed to and I was so scared! I was like “…That’s it? That’s what kissing is going to be like forever?” I never wanted to kiss again! Luckily, I’m a good kisser and got over that.

• plushy1222 April 3rd, 2013 9:36 PM

Even though i’m 18 and have had my fair share of kisses in the past, this was still really helpful to me. It’s never too late to improve your kissing skills!

• finnfloats April 3rd, 2013 9:51 PM

My best friend had her first kiss at her birthday last weekend; the girl I like just suddenly leaned it and kissed her (turned out, it was a dare). Later, my other friend dared ME to play Seven Minutes in Heaven with my crush, but I got into the closet (been there once before, didn’t like it very much xD)with her and started laughing. *facepalm* Well, I guess my first kiss can wait.

• Amanda Gomez April 3rd, 2013 10:02 PM

My first kiss was a few months ago. (Guy was a jerk and now I know that, but…) It was really awkward and only lasted a few seconds. I peeked through my eyelashes and found his eyes open. Freaked me out so I pulled away…. yeah……..

• tangratoe April 3rd, 2013 10:08 PM

This came at the perfect time, thank you so much :P

• laurajane April 3rd, 2013 11:46 PM

HOLY GOOD TIMING I’M SWOONING REALLY HARD RIGHT NOW I SHOULD SLEEP

• kellie April 4th, 2013 12:14 AM

This is insanely good. Thank you, thank you, Krista.
    I was ‘dating’ a boy last year and sadly, had to lie and tell him “I don’t like PDA” to get him to stop kissing me hello/goodbye because it was just THAT BAD.
    I wish I could have linked him this article!

• Blythe April 4th, 2013 3:49 AM

I wish this had been around when I was dating my first (and only) boyfriend. I could have been like, “Hey! Let’s try using our tongues! This could be an Interesting New Experience and I read an article on it and everything!”

• Grenade April 4th, 2013 4:54 AM

I intentionally made my first kiss horrible. The guy who kisses me was much older and I got kind of scared so I figured that if I shove my tounge into his mouth really agressivly, he’d understand I was too young and he’d stop. It tasted bad, his moustache scratched my face and he didn’t stop despite my horrible kissing. I pretended his tounge was an alien creature that my tounge had to kill in order to save the world. Really yucky, I should have just said No in the first place

• Miarele April 4th, 2013 5:03 AM

haha Krista I’ve always loved your honest straightforward writing style. And I sing my praises to Rookie because only you guys would delve into a topic like this in detail. …Now all I need is someone to kiss. Yep. :|

PS: don’t want to be the grammar snob to point it out or anything, but is “hearr” i paragraph 5 supposed to be “heart”?

• Anaheed April 4th, 2013 5:15 AM

Ha! You’re not a grammar snob — that was me doing a great job correcting what was a totally different typo w/ that word. Thanks — I’ll try to get it right this time.

• Mary the freak April 4th, 2013 8:47 AM

you deserve about all the kisses in the world like ever (totally platonic ones!) for this article!! really awesome!

• Julia April 4th, 2013 9:03 AM

hay dere rookie, just a quick question if anyone sees this – on the little theme sidebar on the side the submissions address is listed as submission@rookiemag.com but if you go to the actual submissions page (linked from the sidebar) the address is submissions@rookiemag.com :(

• Anaheed April 4th, 2013 9:09 AM

They both go to the same place :)

• Moili April 4th, 2013 9:08 AM

Under step 2 of Oddly Agressive Kissing I thought it said “If this breast still isn’t getting your massage.” I think you all can imagine my surprise at that moment.

• MabelEnchanted April 4th, 2013 9:11 AM

Kissing virgin also over here!
    This was so weirdly detailed but very helpful..haha
    Time to get practising…

• wallflower152 April 4th, 2013 10:28 AM

I like all the stories in the comments. Kiss virgin until 17 and I thought I was a freak. And even then my first kiss was a dare with a guy friend. My second kiss came a month or so later with this dude I liked. I was so nervous I was shaking and he noticed and I was embarrassed haha so awkward to think about. But he was a good kisser so I just followed his lead and I think it went well haha. Crazy kiss story: I was kinda with this guy who was crazy handsome and had great hair…he was a horrible kisser and one time he sucked on my upper lip so hard it got SUPER swollen like literally doubled in size. I didn’t even know that was possible. Cute kiss story: my current bf well we were good friends for like five years before we got together and we liked each other for like four months without anything happening except hanging out everyday until 4am. I guess he was testing the waters cuz we started holding hands then he kissed my hand then a few days later my cheek then a few days later he kissed my cheek and then pecked my cheek then all over my cheeks and forehead slowly making his way to my mouth. <3

PS This article is really awkward to read at work. :P

• Dino April 4th, 2013 12:16 PM

Ahhh thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!!!! I’m 17 and just got my first REAL boyfriend and we are both SUPER SHY and we awkawardly kissed really quickly about 2 weeks ago. Krista you are a lifesaver! Finally someone has enlightened me thoroughly!! :) So into the kissing-mission-field I go!

• ___ellarose April 4th, 2013 5:39 PM

Loved this article!!!!!! THANKYOU:) oh gosh.. my first french was TERRIBLE this dude stuck his tongue so fast and deep into my mouth i almost choked! FOR REAL.

• poetess April 4th, 2013 8:15 PM

Krista, seriously, thank you so much for this. I am on the verge of crying, I am SO grateful for this.
    (Melodramatic? Yes. Going on a second date tomorrow night? Also yes :D )

• kati April 4th, 2013 8:51 PM

Oddly aggressive kissing is totally my jam :D

• sequoia April 4th, 2013 10:03 PM

i wanna kiss now (▰˘◡˘▰) ahh

• AriaZia April 5th, 2013 1:23 AM

Ugh I didn’t have my first kiss until I was 17 and from the time I was 12-17 all I could think about was the fact that I was the ONLY one who was a kiss virgin. Rationally, I knew that wasn’t true but when you feel like that, no matter what people keep telling you, you just feel so singled out. That’s the way it was for me anyway.

• A Fox In The Snow April 5th, 2013 10:32 AM

Aww, thank you for this article! Even my friends haven’t given me such a detailed guide (“it just happens” — yup)
    I’m also so glad that there’s no-one besides me in this room, since I’ve been doing all the lip and tongue things while reading the article oops.

• Sunshine April 5th, 2013 10:42 AM

Blehhhh I wish my first kiss would have been with someone I actually cared about. I had my first kiss in 8th grade with a boy I was dating just to say I had a boyfriend because I was tired of being that girl who had never dated before. I sincerely wish somebody would have grabbed my arm and said “hey, guess what, chica? you don’t need to have a boyfriend to have fun in middle school.’”

• Yani April 6th, 2013 1:54 AM

Straight after kissing a guy for the first time, he pulled away after the second kiss and said ‘you kiss just like my mother’ and walked away. Then months later when I kissed someone for real I knew that really he was the unconfident kisser.
    Great article.
    Saddest is the kiss at the very end of a relationship on the cheek.

• kendallkh April 6th, 2013 3:48 PM

sometimes it’s genuinely frightening how perfectly timed rookie posts are

• Kriemhild Gretchen April 7th, 2013 1:40 AM

I think it would make more sense to use “them” as a gender neutral pronoun instead of “him/her”

• Anosha April 8th, 2013 6:49 AM

I dont like kissing- I like everything else but when someone kisses my lips I tend to make it last as short as possible. I find it kinda disgusting. I really want to enjoy kissing how can I? x

• Wisteria April 9th, 2013 12:57 AM

I used to obsessively worry about my level of experience until the day I realized that if a guy I really like had never kissed anyone before I wouldn’t give a shit, in fact, I wouldn’t even think about it. Now I don’t care anymore.

• Nikilodeon April 14th, 2013 9:06 PM

this is perfect! i’ve been curious about how to do this for so long!! thank you!

• Viki GG April 18th, 2013 9:37 AM

:) really cute kissing tutorial. I wish I had read it 10 years ago! It makes sense still anyway… and the Want / Should chapter is a must!!! Good job

• Kelsey April 21st, 2013 1:09 PM

I literally just had my first kiss two days ago (I’m 14) and while it was totally awesome and I really like the guy I was kissing, my lips were SO CHAPPED YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW. But otherwise, it was basically like a movie: we were at the creek by my house, and I asked if he wanted to kiss me. He said yeah, and BAM. Milestone reached, level up.

• Paige Griggs May 4th, 2013 12:41 PM

this is super helpful, thank you. I was so eager to have my first kiss that I did it with someone I didn’t know, and it was…bad. I thought kissing meant to have a make out session and I just kinda flopped my tongue around in this guys mouth, and then I pulled away because it was not enjoyable. He said, “try using a little less tongue next time. Wanna try again?” I said no thanks. So, he was sweet, but whenever I see him at school I get nervous because we don’t even talk and I kissed the guy, but Im too self conscious to talk to him. From now on I plan on kissing someone that I have an interest in and where I can actually really see what they look like, and someone that likes me too. I rushed into my first kiss, but I learned from it. I often think about my next one though, and who it will be with, and if we will have more than one, and if he will be the guy I hope he is. It’s hard being patient though. But then again when Im actually in the moment, I realize that I am willing to be patient. its nice to know so many people relate though :)

• ERICKAX May 23rd, 2013 10:05 AM

My boyfriend has a small mouth and he doesnt open it enough or even use his tongue. I have to physically force my tongue down his neck while restraining him. He moves his mouth like a fish.

also, I dont know if I really like him. I only slept with him once and I was really drunk at the time. I only remember handing him the condom at the start.

Am I normal? I often think about other men and I dont want to put all of this effort in teaching him how to kiss when I may leave him anyway.

• swegan June 18th, 2013 12:55 AM

OH MY GOD THIS ARTICLE I <3 IT SO MUCH I was giggling throughout the whole thing.

And also partly being jealous because I dated a guy for a year and we never got past the intro kiss. That was partly my parents being all "you can't be alone with him EVAR" and partly our lack of communication- I only found out just recently he thought I never wanted to make out, and here I was the whole time thinking HE never wanted to make out. It's a very sad story.

My first kiss, though (yes it was with this boyfriend) was like omg so perfect and under a tree at night in the summer and a total surprise and just AAAHHHH so at least there's that.

Off to university next year… this article will hopefully get to come in handy. I JUST WANT TO MAKE OUT WITH CUTE SMART BOYS AHHH.

• lemonadelagoon June 21st, 2013 4:42 PM

I absolutely loved this article! I’m 18 and I haven’t had my first kiss yet, but I really love this boy and I have a feeling it’ll happen soon.

• allie.x July 28th, 2013 1:04 PM

Think you nailed it with this advice. Well at least it seems it’s worked for me as the guy I made out with last night said “That’s the best kiss I’ve had in ages.”. I’m telling myself he was being honest, either way I felt pretty good about it!

• lucylu July 31st, 2013 1:30 AM

I wish I had this a week ago! although my first kiss wasn’t too bad, I just didn’t know what to do so I kinda freaked out when he stuck his tongue in my mouth. ‘sall good now