Style

Learning the Face-ics, Special Edition: Prom!

Part One: Classic Hollywood glamour.

This month’s Face-ics is a three-parter for prom. But even if you’re skipping the dance (“AND ALL SCHOOL DANCES WHY WOULD I WANT TO SPEND ANY MORE TIME WITH THESE PEOPLE THAN NECESSARY” —maybe you), there will come a time in your life when you’ll want to look super mega glam: maybe for a party, or a fancy coven, or a mugshot. And on that day you will be thankful for these videos by Amy Rose. Each one is gonna teach you a different look appropriate for dressing up and partying down. This one is Classic Hollywood Glamour: red lips, winged eyeliner, and, if you’re feeling extra bombshell-y, a DIY mole.

Part One: Simple Eye Shadow & Liquid Liner

* If your eyelid doesn’t have a crease, use your brow bone as a reference: anything that’s supposed to go “in the crease” goes right below that bone.

Part Two: Eyeliner Cont’d., Easy Red Lips

Part Three: Rosy Cheeks

The specific products and colors you choose are going to depend on your skin tone, your skin type, and just your preferences, but here are the ones Amy Rose used:

Eyes

Lips

• Wet n Wild Fergie Creme Lipstick in Old School Glam ($3.50, Drugstore.com)

• Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics’ Precision Lip Brush ($18, OCCmakeup.com)

Cheeks

• Sephora Collection Colorful Blush in Healthy Rose ($14, Sephora)
  • Sonia Kashuk Large Angled Contour Brush ($10, Target)

Tune in next week for Prom Look Number 2: low-key eyes, lips like WHOA. ♦

• FlowerandtheVine April 4th, 2013 3:08 PM

Any recommendations for a good eyeliner pencil, rather than liquid? Accidents occur when I try liquid liner!

• Julianne April 4th, 2013 3:19 PM

Try gel eyeliner – you can get the effect of liquid without the mess. I’ve heard Mac Fluidline is great, but Wet ‘n Wild Creme liner is also good, and very cheap!

• leavesofyggdrasil April 4th, 2013 4:00 PM

The Maybelline Eye Studio gel eyeliner is really fab too. I used that a bunch before I got the feel for liquid, and it’s only 9 bucks. And it comes with an actually not-crappy brush!

• FlowerandtheVine April 4th, 2013 11:04 PM

Thanks, I will check these out!

• Jessica W April 4th, 2013 6:58 PM

Have you tried pens? I hated liquid eyeliner before using the Maybelline Master Precise Ink Pen eyeliner.
      Also, like the commenter below, I’ve also used the Maybelline Eye Studio gel eyeliner. It’s easy to use and a little goes a long way BUT it doesn’t do thin/inky lines well.
      (I sound like I’m employed by Maybelline???)

The Lovelorn

• Sunshine April 5th, 2013 10:34 AM

L’Oreal Voluminous Eyeliner is THE BEST THING to ever happen to woman/mankind ever.
      It’s a marker! Haven’t you ever looked at your eyeliner like GAH WHY WON’T YOU BEHAVE LIKE A SHARPIE AND MAKE PERFECT, DARK, STRAIGHT LINES?
      Wellllll L’Oreal carries an ah-mazing marker liquid eyeliner thing and the tip is angled so you can make fat lines or skinny lines. It lasts for ages, I’ve had mine about a year and I still use it regularly, it’s uber cheap (four bucks!) and it’s amazing.
      The only problem is that even though it comes in three colors, brown, grey and black, they all look pretty black to me. Gel eyeliner is too messy-ish in my opinion, marker eyeliner is WAY easier to apply.

ALSO I love crayon eyeliners that are the equivalent of a pencil, but you don’t have to sharpen them, you just twist the bottom. Covergirl makes an amazing cheap one, but right now I’m obsessed with Buxom’s.
      :D eyeliner is so fun, let’s be honest.

• rosiesayrelax April 4th, 2013 3:27 PM

For the whole of my prom I walked around with smudged mascara on my cheek. No one told me, and I died when I saw it at the end of the night.

• raftingstarlit April 4th, 2013 3:34 PM

Amy Rose, these videos are great, but do you really have to put on eye makeup with super big fake eyelashes on, and bangs hanging in your face? Also, better lightning would have helped… :(

• Amy Rose April 4th, 2013 5:45 PM

Hi! Noted on the lighting/bangs scenario (and thank you for the helpful suggestions!), but the eyelashes are here to stay–I never take ‘em off. Hope you still find these useful! X ARS

• Morning Moon April 4th, 2013 6:16 PM

I think you look like Lea Michele!

• Mary the freak April 5th, 2013 4:33 AM

I really hope I will look as awesome as you do when I have prom!! <33

• Ella W April 5th, 2013 12:27 PM

So I really want to watch these videos, but for some reason the internet in Scotland doesn’t work. So…. I’ll have to wait until I get back to sunny England :(

• Ella W April 6th, 2013 6:07 PM

Yay, back in England and loving the videos Amy Rose :)

• plushy1222 April 5th, 2013 3:05 PM

I Love this! This has been one of the most heplful posts ever! even though I may not use all three for prom, I can definitley use them for other occasions, such as an everyday look for school (yes, I like to dress up and look pretty everyday). I think I loved the angel wings the most because they look great on me, and it’s been really hard to draw them in perfectly, so i’m glad I finally have a few tips on how to do that. THANKS A BUNCH!!

• sunglasses and roses April 9th, 2013 12:46 PM

I cannot thank you enough for also making sure girls with monolids aren’t left behind!!

• annie July 24th, 2013 4:04 PM