Music

Friday Playlist: So Misunderstood

Words I got oh so wrong.

A mondegreen is a phrase or line from a song that has been misheard, often hilariously (and occasionally profoundly). The word was coined in 1954, when the writer Sylvia Wright described, in an essay for Harper’s, how she’d bungled this 17th century Scottish ballad called “The Bonny Earl O’Moray.” The last line is “And laid him on the green”; as a child Wright had thought it was “And Lady Mondegreen.”

The first time I heard Destiny’s Child’s single “Jumpin’ Jumpin’” on the radio in high school, I swore the chorus was “The club is full of ballers and their COCK is full grown,” and I thought DA-YUM, that is SEXUAL. (It was actually “their pockets” that were grown.) Maybe misheard lyrics are a little portal into our psyches, revealing that reveal the limits of what we know and what we are capable of imagining. When I was little, not knowing what a casbah was, I thought Joe Strummer was singing, “Rock the Casper” (as in the Friendly Ghost). As an adult, after being spurned by a lover, I heard John Lennon singing, “Oh, you’re cold!” but a week later, after my boyfriend and I made up, it suddenly dawned on me that he was saying “Oh! Yoko!” In some cases, there are no “correct” lyrics, and it’s all just glossolalia and mumbling and our brains have to make tremendous leaps of imagination. Here are a few of my favorite songs to mishear. The internet makes it easy to correct oneself, but I’m quite happy singing my versions (which you can enjoy and poke fun at; just scroll down to the bottom of this post). Post your favorite misheard song lyrics in the comments?

Illustration by <a href=

Minna” width=”580″ height=”775″ class=”size-medium wp-image-44964″ /> Illustration by Minna

MISHEARD LYRICS KEY:

1. “Heaven or Las Vegas”

Pooh ah yeah mehh
To yeah so ev meh
Gah vey for nu
For nu fair eh fair

Singing on my favorite street
Aaah to love-a-love-a love me
My guess is heaven or las vegas
Es my gee to ride around rest to me

The chin is the cheek to my soul

NO IDEA

2. “Wuthering Heights”

Out of the winding
Indie boys we roll and fall in green

Real lyrics:

Out on the wiley, windy moors
We’d roll and fall in green

3.”Jumpin’ Jumpin”

The club is full of ballers
And their cock is full grown

The club is full of ballers
And they pockets full grown

3. “Bohemian Rhapsody”

What I heard:

The hells of poop have a devil put aside for meee

Real lyrics:

Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me

5. “Upon this Tidal Wave of Young Blood”

They are CHASTA CHASTA CHASTA

Real lyrics:

They are child stars child stars child stars

6. “Rock the Casbah”

Cherry don’t like it
Rock the Casper
Rock the cashbox

Sharif don’t like it
Rock the casbah
Rock the casbah

7. “Paper Planes”

What I heard:

I fly like paper get high like POONS

Real lyrics:

I fly like paper get high like planes

8. “Gossip Folks”

Her zoo?
My gizzard!
My zigga is an A
It’s a gizzard
It’s always like
It’s a gizzard

(Gibberish)

9. “Tiny Dancer”

Hold me closer, Tony Danza

Real lyrics:

Hold me closer, tiny dancer

What Tavi heard:

Count the headlights on the highway
Lady Diamond she’s so plaaaaaaaan
How I feel the day to dayyyyyy

Real lyrics:

Lay me down in sheets of linen
You had a busy day today

10. “All Apologies”

I could seed from shame
or
Acquiesce from shame

Aqua seafoam shame

All I know is Rosario

Real lyrics:

All in all is all we are

11. “Beast of Burden”

What I heard:

I’ll never leave your pizza burning

Real lyrics:
I’ll never be your beast of burden

12. “Oh Yoko!”

Oh, you’re cold!

Oh, Yoko!

13. “Holy Dances”

What I heard:

In the night I call your name
Hard and white
Would let die
Holy foes
In our best searches
Aaaaaaaahhhh

Real lyrics:

In the night I called your name
Heart of mine
One letter at a time
I’ll be found in a
Land of savages
Ah-aaaah…

What I heard:

Maybe you don’t know what you’ve got
Spend your money on desert knobs
Holy dances are for fin
For aaaahhh

Maybe you
Don’t know what you’ve got,
Spent yer money on desert lots
Holy dances and acronyms
For her. ♦

• Fortune_Goddess March 22nd, 2013 11:11 PM

Ganja Babe by Michael Franti

Don’t you wanna be.. Hottttt

What the lyrics are:
    Don’t you wanna be.. High!

I guess it’s fitting for a song 100% about drugs?

• poetess March 22nd, 2013 11:29 PM

I had a friend who thought that “Please don’t stop the music” was “weasels got the music”. I’m not sure how he thought that we were all dancing to the song without laughing…

• bellalane March 23rd, 2013 12:15 AM

Oh my god – that will be all I will think of from now on every time I hear this song.

• noquierodecir March 22nd, 2013 11:50 PM

There’s a song that’s on the radio quite a lot now, but I can’t remember what it’s called. (I do listen to pop music, I’m just not fond of this song!)

The refrain is something like: “I’m wide awake…I’m wide awake…” and I was completely convinced that it went “Oh what a week….oh what a week.”

My version totally fit with the dejection in the singer’s voice, too, haha

• Anaheed March 23rd, 2013 2:04 AM

I believe you are referring to Katy Perry’s song “Wide Awake”: http://www.vevo.com/watch/katy-perry/wide-awake/USCA31200061

• noquierodecir March 23rd, 2013 9:34 PM

That’s the one :D

I dunno why I blanked on the name, and I was too lazy to google it, so thank you!

• cammy-poo March 24th, 2013 7:29 PM

I used to hear the song all the time in Taco Bell, and it got stuck in my head but I could never make out the lyrics after “wide awake” so it’d just be “duh-duh-duh-duh duh” to me over and over. haha.

Anyways, another great playlist, and sneaky good inclusion under the “mystery” theme. Also LOVE that you can play all the songs on here now. I’m really looking forward to this every Friday.

• decemberbaby March 22nd, 2013 11:53 PM

OUT ON THE WINDING INDIE BOYS

THIS IS A GREAT PIECE

• Narnia March 22nd, 2013 11:58 PM

in mgmt’s metanoia i thought “now he’ll never come to another show” was “i will never ever talk to another troll” for like ever

• 1000swedishfish March 23rd, 2013 12:08 AM

This is the best! I’m Australian and years back there was a song by Bernard Fanning called Wish You Well and the chorus is, aptly “I just want to wish you well” but I always thought it was “I just want a wishing well” – which i think is a much funner lyric ;)

• ivoire March 23rd, 2013 12:27 AM

all grimes’ songs: heeeeheeeanoi hoooo anopiyaaa a silly hooha nai pai neee

• thefondest March 23rd, 2013 12:41 AM

Anybody else just have songs they refuse to sing correctly? Ever since I heard someone say they heard “You can try to understand a New York Times’ effect on a man” as “You can try to understand a New York kinda dancin’ man,” I have absolutely refused to sing “Stayin’ Alive” correctly. I have another song like that, but I can’t remember which one.

• laurajane March 23rd, 2013 1:44 AM

JUST PATRICK STUMP OKAY

OH SO INTO CATS, OH SO INTO CATS

and that one Lady Gaga song where she’s all gotta doo doo, just dance!!

Also I purposely sing the wrong lyrics to Miley Cyrus’s The Climb:

I can almost see it,
    that dream I’m dreamin’ but
    there’s a voice inside my head sayin’
    OH NO YOU DI’NT

• Miarele March 23rd, 2013 3:36 AM

YESSS TO FOB. “also into cats” were the first thing that came into my mind! there were even parody T-shirts with Patrick and cats printed on it.

ALSO, I DYE GRASS.
      it’s not misheard lyrics, that whole song is a misheard song, I swear.

• InProgress March 23rd, 2013 3:01 AM

I was at a school dance with my friend.
    What he heard: We found love in a homeless place

Real lyrics: We found love in a hopeless place

• anyone March 23rd, 2013 11:11 AM

My little sister (who does not really speak english) always sings it like that. We found love in a homeless place. Awesome.

• emilyowls March 25th, 2013 9:39 PM

YES. THIS. I legitimately always thought it was “we fell in love in a hopeless blaze.” I personally like my version more than rhi rhi’s… and I always thought ‘i’ll be your crying shoulder” was “i’ll be your crying soldier” and now i can’t sing it the right way ever. D:

• hattilongsoks March 23rd, 2013 3:31 AM

Joy Division- Disorder

All this time I’ve been singing ‘I’ve been looking for a guy to come and take me by the hand’

and it’s actually

‘I’ve been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand’

I like my version better.

Awesome playlist! x

• taste test March 23rd, 2013 1:53 PM

amazing! I like your version too.

• jackybella March 23rd, 2013 4:01 AM

I can never work if in The Killers song ‘Human’ if it is ‘are we human or are we denser’ or ‘are we human or are we dancers’?

• raggedyanarchy March 23rd, 2013 1:44 PM

It’s dancers. But I think I like denser better now!

• cammy-poo March 24th, 2013 7:31 PM

Funny thing about that is ‘denser’ would actually make more sense as a song lyric. haha

• Manda March 23rd, 2013 4:09 PM

Interesting, I always thought it was “or are we done, sir?”

• golddustgirl March 23rd, 2013 5:46 AM

For like, a year, my friend thought that “Like a G6″ was “Like a Cheesecake”, and couldn’t understand why people were singing it all the time in nightclubs.

Also, let’s not forget the same friend’s “Shake it like a polaroid picture”/”Shake it like a pepperoni pizza” incident.

• rosiesayrelax March 23rd, 2013 6:08 AM

This is hilarious. It reminds me of Peter Kay’s tour

• AliceS March 23rd, 2013 6:15 AM

This is the best playlist ever!!

• Caitlin H. March 23rd, 2013 6:53 AM

rockin’ that cashbox

• Daria Belo March 23rd, 2013 6:57 AM

it’s perfect, I love tis music

• Flossie March 23rd, 2013 7:23 AM

Sweetness….
    I was only joking when I said
    I’d like to smash a beetroot in your hair

Misheard Smiths Lyrics

• Naomi March 23rd, 2013 10:59 AM

omg i am not the only one!!

• noquierodecir March 23rd, 2013 9:37 PM

Heard this as well!

• Ree March 23rd, 2013 7:38 AM

When I first got into The Strokes, I didn’t have a clue what Julian was saying. After hours of googling all the lyrics, I think I have an acquired skill of actually being able to understand what he is saying in the new songs :’)

• soviet_kitsch March 23rd, 2013 11:09 AM

lmao everything he sings is like “hrgkkgk lalfsd dg etet rg d et grryyr hhhhh”

• Runaway March 23rd, 2013 11:47 AM

Hahahaha! I thought it was just me, since English is actually my 2nd language.

• hellorose March 24th, 2013 8:04 AM

YES. This is especially true on Is This It cos it didn’t have the lyrics in the liner notes. I think there are still lines that people debate over.

• rosesinthepark March 23rd, 2013 7:58 AM

Would you ever use a reader-submitted playlist?

• bored March 23rd, 2013 8:50 AM

My dad always thought the lyrics to “Empire State of Mind” were “concrete jungle, wet dreams and mayo”. I still can’t unhear it to this day

• bird March 23rd, 2013 9:20 AM

haha! I particularly like wuthering heights and bohemian rhapsody!
    I thought snow patrol were singing ‘let’s chase cars around our HOUSE’… so that’s a bit literal.
    And when Springsteen was singing, ‘Rosalita jump a little lighter/ Senorita come sit by my fire’ I thought he was saying ‘Rosalita jump a little lighter/ sangria constant by my fire’ as in he and this girl were gonna sit by a fire drinking sangria forever… I really hope you’re wrong about misheard lyrics being freudian slips. :)

• quirkflower March 23rd, 2013 10:20 AM

When I was little I swore “Our Lips Are Sealed” was “I Love Cecile”. My mom thought it was the greatest thing because when my aunt was little she thought the same thing!!

• rhymeswithorange March 23rd, 2013 1:23 PM

I thought it was “How Does it Feel”, man that song is misheard a lot! I like yours better though :)

• neener March 26th, 2013 2:09 PM

WHAT. I have an aunt that thought that!!

• KatGirl March 23rd, 2013 10:43 AM

When I was a kid, I thought that “Puff the Magic Dragon” went like this:
    Puff the Magic Dragon
    Lived upon the sea
    he frolicked in the automist
    in a land called harnah-beeeeeeeee

• Abby March 23rd, 2013 4:11 PM

OMG… all mis-hears aside, that is seriously the saddest song ever….

• whenyougrowupyourheartdies March 23rd, 2013 11:30 AM

Weezer’s Pink Triangle:
    “When I start to feel that pull, turns out I just pulled myself”
    What I sing: “When I start to feel that pull, turns out I just pooped myself”

• soretudaaa March 29th, 2013 7:24 PM

Jumping the Weezer boat, as I am still not sure if the lyrics in “Hash Pipe” are “I’ve got my ass white” or “ass wipe” (or neither.. yeah… it’s probably neither…)

• rottedteeth March 23rd, 2013 11:33 AM

When I first started listening to black lips I always misunderstood their lyrics like in Everybody Loves a Cocksucker I always thought it was “and your mama told me not to love her” and everyone that I asked thought the same (I don’t like Googling lyrics because I never trust them) then I asked them on twitter and found out it was “Aunt Jemima told me not to love her”
    But now I think I have sort of mastered their drunken slurs except the first time I heard New Direction I swear I thought it was “I been lookin at a nude erection.” But its “I been lookin in a new direction “

• bored March 23rd, 2013 11:39 AM

OH also! I almost forgot this classic. One of my sister’s close friends has a mum called Lorraine, and her older brother thought that their mum had named her “The Rain” until he was 7 years old. Not lyrics but never fails to crack me up

• lubs March 23rd, 2013 11:55 AM

“I’ll never leave your pizza burning.”

• hattilongsoks March 23rd, 2013 12:10 PM

oh another one I had was Cold War Kids- Hospital Beds. I thought it was ‘vietnam, fish and chips, tiny ant opera’

it’s ‘vietnam, fish and chips, italian opera’

:/ x

• rockwrenroll March 23rd, 2013 1:20 PM

Oh my gosh, Hold me closer, Tony Danza.

Probably the Arctic Monkey’s song, I Bet That You Look Good on the Dance Floor
    I don’t know what I thought the song was about, but I was wrong about everything.

Misheard:
    Your name is Cleo and I stand for sounds and clights and refusin’ the salts with a bang b-b-bang-oh
    ……
    Pups like rover from 1984, from 1984
    Oh, it’s over, might as well use our capulets
    Just bangin’ Jews and DJ Cest-too
    (???????)

Actual:

Your name isn’t Rio, but I don’t care for sand
    Lighting the fuse might result in a bang, with a bang-go!
    …..
    Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984
    From 1984!
    Oh there ain’t no love no, Montagues or Capulets
    We just banging tunes ‘n’ DJ sets ‘n’

• Jacklyn March 25th, 2013 4:46 PM

Man! I always used to mess that one up! Except I heard:

“Your name isn’t real but I don’t care for Stan.”

As if it were about a guy whose name is Stan but since people don’t care for it he uses a fake name. Because that makes so much sense right?

• rhymeswithorange March 23rd, 2013 1:21 PM

The Michael Jackson song Beat It goes “tell ‘em how funky strong is your fight”, and I always thought it was “tell ‘em how fucking strong is your fight”.

• Genevieve March 23rd, 2013 1:24 PM

I’ll never leave your pizza burning.

• 12jenaveve12 March 23rd, 2013 1:41 PM

Sliver by Nirvana
    What I thought they said: Gravitating gnome.
    What they actually said: Grandma take me home.

• streaked lights March 23rd, 2013 1:44 PM

I always thought that the lyrics to Escape (By Enrique Iglesias) was:

You can run, you can DIE, but you can’t escape my love.

• taste test March 23rd, 2013 1:45 PM

“I wanna be adored,” by the stone roses. “I wanna be a door.” this was my friend’s fault, but still. I will never be able to take that song completely seriously again. I wanna- I wanna- I GOTTA BE A DOOR

• jadeharley March 23rd, 2013 2:27 PM

purple haze / jimi hendrix

what i heard:
    excuse me while i kiss this guy

real lyrics:
    not that

• MabelEnchanted March 23rd, 2013 2:49 PM

I think this may be one of the funniest Rookie articles ever! Things like this always make me laugh. Whenever I didn’t know the words for a bit of the song I always just sang gibberish and hoped no one would notice…they always did.

• Kaetlebugg March 23rd, 2013 3:09 PM

Oh man I love this brilliance.

embarassingurl.blogspot.com

• J K March 23rd, 2013 3:37 PM

enjoy Spotify users! :)

• thefondest March 23rd, 2013 4:03 PM

Oh god, how about the chorus of “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough”? Total gibberish. Still no idea what he’s saying. Keep on to the bus stop. Don’t stop ’til you get enough.

• ivoire March 23rd, 2013 7:38 PM

omg i thought it was dont stop til u get enough/at the post office

• Abby March 23rd, 2013 4:07 PM

In “When I Grow Up” by the Pussycat Dolls I always thought it said

“When I grow up
    I wanna see the world
    Drive nice cars,
    I wanna have BOOBIES”

and not “groupies.”

I like my version better haha.

• Abby March 23rd, 2013 4:09 PM

ALSO:

“Blinded by the light
      WRAPPED UP LIKE A DOUCHE
      another rumour in the night”

Yeah….

• Olivia March 24th, 2013 12:11 AM

is there even any other possibility AT ALL for that part in blinded by the light though???

• cammy-poo March 24th, 2013 7:35 PM

what is it for real tho? All I’ve ever heard is “douche” also.

…this stuff is too funny.

• Ari T March 23rd, 2013 10:50 PM

I did not realize it was groupies until I saw this comment.

• Kirsten Muat March 23rd, 2013 5:57 PM

So that is what the lyrics are in Wuthering Heights. I always thought it was ‘sweet roll and fall and green’

• carabear March 23rd, 2013 6:56 PM

Definitely thought that part of YMCA where they sing “young man, there’s a place you can go,” or whatever was “jumping, on the way to the show.”

• sarahcfoy March 23rd, 2013 7:30 PM

My director thought the lyrics to “Party Like a Rockstar” were “Horny like a washcloth.”

• Katrina T March 23rd, 2013 8:13 PM

For years growing up, I thought that Marvin Gaye’s ‘Sexual Healing’ was actually ‘Sex, you won’t feel it’! Thank goodness I never sang that out loud…

• Ari T March 23rd, 2013 10:48 PM

There was that terrible song “Like a G6″ out a couple of years ago, which my best friend’s mom (who listens to a TON of pop music in her laudable efforts to be hip with the youth) thought said “like a cheese stick.”
    Needless to say, she sang it all the time.

• Manda March 23rd, 2013 11:01 PM

Little Red Covette by Prince
    I hear: “baby, now I’ve got an orgasm, oh yeah!”
    Actual lyrics: “baby, have you got enough gas? Oh yeah!”

• Lori March 24th, 2013 8:14 AM

My little sister thought that “Stayin’ Alive” was “Stay in the light”. So funny :)

• sunshine March 24th, 2013 9:57 AM

oh my gosh my reactions to “Upon this Tidal Wave of Young Blood” were the exact same!

• carofine March 24th, 2013 10:50 AM

“We found love in a hopeless place”

A girl I know sang the lyrics as “We found Dove in a soapless place.”

• Samya Kelly March 24th, 2013 11:46 AM

I thought the line from the Tribes song Sappho was ‘Do my thermals make you happy?’ It was ‘Do my pheromones make you happy?’

• monkshood March 24th, 2013 11:49 AM

“Solidarity” from Billy Elliot – The Musical
    What I heard: “Shabba-dabba-ding, shabba-dabba-ding. Shabba-dabba-ding caremba.”
    Real lyrics: “Solidarity, solidarity. Solidarity forever.”
    I’m not the best at understanding Geordie accents…

• llamalina March 24th, 2013 1:34 PM

I always thought that the chorus of Come On Eileen said “my forehead’s a mess, you’re so dirty” but really it’s “my thoughts, I confess, verge on dirty.”

• yumi March 24th, 2013 7:25 PM

And I was sure it was “my thoughts I confess, oh they’re dirty”

• Deby Brunn March 24th, 2013 1:39 PM

In Pink Floyd´s The Wall I´ve mistaken “No dark sarcasm in the classroom” for “no dogs or cats are in the classroom”.

• NotReallyChristian March 26th, 2013 6:25 PM

One of my schools was the one that that song is written about :)

• Flo Entwistle April 1st, 2013 2:07 PM

hills road? I go there!

• witheringslytherin March 24th, 2013 1:58 PM

I always thought Basement Jaxx’s “Where’s Your Head At” was actually “LETTTTT YOUUUUR HAIR DOWNNNN” as did my dad.
    And Anne Boleyn was always Amber Lynn..
    But could you GET an easier to misunderstand song than Nirvana – “Smells Like Teen Spirit”?! Still I get confused over what Kurt is saying..

• 23reasonstosmile March 24th, 2013 4:02 PM

Fluorescent Adolescent, Arctic Monkeys,
    What I heard: ‘flicking through a little book of Shakespeare’
    Real lyrics: ‘flicking through a little book of sex tips’

• wanderluster66 March 25th, 2013 10:51 AM

This playlist needs Send Me On My Way by Rusted Root

• Lois March 25th, 2013 7:22 PM

I always thought Sweet Escape by Gwen Stefani went like this: “And I slapped a ginger with a refrigerator door maybe that’s the reason I’ve been acting so cold”

And I swear I read that Katy Perry sings “inject me with your love pen” in ET, and that is why I sung this and got mocked greatly by my K Pez loving friends.

• Jenny March 26th, 2013 1:12 AM

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST MISHEAR-ERS ON EARTH. These comments are making me cry sweet tears of milk!

• Tatiana Diamantopoulos March 26th, 2013 8:35 AM

mine is :”pop the dancefloor” instead of “rock the casbah” !!!

• neener March 26th, 2013 2:14 PM

My mom is notorious for misunderstanding song lyrics. She thought the All American Rejects song “Move Along” was “Mow the Lawn”. She also thought the Weezer song “Why Bother” was about child abuse…
    Real lyrics:
    “why bother, it’s gonna hurt me.”
    She thought:
    “MY FATHER is gonna hurt me”

• NotReallyChristian March 26th, 2013 6:24 PM

I feel you Tavi, sometimes I just feel like The Day Today too … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nvfQw8UCDE

• john-travolta-if-you-will March 26th, 2013 8:52 PM

i always thought that in the chorus to Chemical Warfare by the Dead Kennedy’s, Jello Biafra was singing “GIVE ME THE WALRUSss”…..

…. it makes more sense that he would be saying “CHEMICAL WARFARE” but i’ve always argued in favor of the walrus version

• claudia h March 27th, 2013 4:06 AM

In Flume’s ‘Holdin On’ I used to think it was ‘YOLO bitch, I knew’ until my brother corrected me… *sigh*

• trassel March 27th, 2013 4:52 PM

There’s this song in swedish that goes “Ett riktigt jävla as!” which translates loosely to “A real fucking asshole”. I thought they said “Ett riktigt kalas” -”A real party”. Well. :)

Also I thought misheard “DJ got us falling in love again” as “DJ’s gonna swallow your love again. XD

• Emma March 28th, 2013 1:53 AM

reading all this made my day. SO FUNNY! I had the same thing with Hospitle Beds; I thought it was “Vietnam, fishing trips, italian opera” but it is actually “fish and chips”

• neenah March 28th, 2013 4:35 PM

My stepson was so sure that “shake it like a polaroid picture” was “shake like a monobrow.” Even when he saw the lyrics he still wasn’t totally convinced.
    He still sings it like that, but mostly to drive me crazy. Ah, teenagers.

• Ella March 31st, 2013 10:38 PM

There’s this song by Florence Welch (from Florence and the machine) and Calvin harris, and I seriously thought Florence was singing “Im living on SEXY MUFFINS” Turns out she’s saying “I’m living on SUCH SWEET NOTHINGS”

Sexy muffins are so much cooler. :(

• October in the chair March 31st, 2013 11:38 PM

My little sister thought that Adele’s ‘Chasing Pavements’ was;

“Should I give up? Or should I just keep chasing cavemen…??”

…which admittedly almost makes more sense…

• Maya McEachern April 11th, 2013 11:04 AM

I always thought that the chorus of smells like teen spirit went “in a lighthouse, less is dangerous”… Yup

• Lola Witch May 18th, 2013 7:24 PM

I always heard the song on the radio Apologize as “It’s too late to call the jives” and I never knew what it meant.

• abigail emma June 9th, 2013 12:16 AM

there’s a song called Cowbell by Tapes ‘n Tapes, of which the chorus goes: “Do you want to live a lie? A lie to shake, a lie, shake, I’ve been so sure.” up until today, coulda sworn it was “Do you wanna live a life? A life, a shitty life, shit, I’ve been so sure.” um

• imogan June 11th, 2013 3:36 PM

I came back specifically to this post just to express how after the first line of ‘The Beat’ I have no idea what the heck Elvis Costello is even trying to say.

• RiverWanderer June 18th, 2013 6:26 PM

This is literally the most perfect playlist. I haven’t heard Jumpin’ Jumpin’ in ten years!