Everything else

Saturday Links: BFF Quiz Show Edition

Everyone’s a winner.

Julianne

Kathleen Hanna and Kathi Wilcox playing The Friendship Game.

Kathleen Hanna and Kathi Wilcox playing The Friendship Game.

After a few years, BFFs can almost seem like they’re married. That’s the idea behind The Friendship Game, a video series for The Huffington Post. It’s loosely based on the classic game show The Newlywed Game, and the latest episode features Kathleen Hanna and Kathi Wilcox, punk icons who were in Bikini Kill and, two decades later, are still playing together in The Julie Ruin. If you’ve ever wanted to hang out with Hanna and Wilcox on a super-personal level, this video gets pretty close to it. You get to giggle with them and relive some of the funniest parts of their long touring partnership. It also just shows that even if you’ll never 100% know someone, your rapport with your bestie can still get better and better with time. (If you want to watch more of The Friendship Game, you can find episode one, featuring Mary Timony and Rebecca Cole from Wild Flag, here.)

Bianca

Have you ever felt unfairly ostracized at school? I know I did—a teacher even once told me I was “socially retarded.” So I could relate to what the subjects of this 1996 documentary short, Dirty Girls, went through. The director, Michael Lucid, who posted the 18-minute movie to YouTube this week, followed this group of teenage Riot Grrrls around their California campus, where other kids made fun of them for wearing “clothes you might find in a garbage can,” “rebelling against society,” and making a feminist zine. I don’t see anything wrong with any of that—and neither did they. “It’s just not competition between girls,” said Harper, an alleged “dirty girl.” “A lot of people are against us for that.”

Annie Hardy (aka Giant Drag)

Annie Hardy

One of my favorite musicians, Annie Hardy (aka Giant Drag), released her first record in years this week on Bandcamp. It’s called Waking Up Is Hard to Do, and it is grungy, indie rock perfection. The catchy track “We Like the Weather” will definitely be the anthem of my spring/summer. (Hardy also dabbles in arts and crafts and has an Etsy shop full of glittery, homemade awesomeness.)

I, along with many other people this week, was in total awe of B-girl Terra, a six-year-old English girl who recently competed in the “Baby Battle” division of a Paris break-dance competition. Hello, headspins!

It’s so rad that the musician Amanda Palmer loves connecting with her fans and that she isn’t afraid to ask them for help in recording her songs. Her recent TEDTalk on “the art of asking,” filmed in February but posted this week, gave me a lot to think about in terms of being an artist and cultivating community.

Tavi
Jennifer Lawrence and Anne Hathaway.

Some moderately cerebral celebrity news for those of us who are interested in this stuff but too ashamed to admit it: Vulture on why women like some famous women (Jennifer Lawrence) but not others (Anne Hathaway), and the New York Times on the trials and tribulations of the Disney-kid-to-grown-up transition.

Hazel

The Knife’s latest song and video, “A Tooth for an Eye,” is out, and of course it’s strange and beautiful. In it, a teen girl dressed like a referee leads a group of adult men in a dance. A description on the Knife’s website says she is “powerful, tough and sweet all at once…. There is no shame in her girliness, rather she possesses knowledge that the men lost a long time ago.” WOW. I can’t wait for their new album to drop in April!

literally
We Rookies literally use the word literally all the time—though when we say something is literally the best thing ever (as in, among the world’s best things), we don’t mean it’s LITERALLY the best thing ever (as in, the only best thing in the world). This kind of wrong-on-purpose usage sometimes annoys language purists (LOL, get outta here you freaks) but David Haglund at Slate is here to inform them that the word’s definition has literally expanded. And apparently before that, famous writers such as Jane Austen and Mark Twain weren’t using literally “correctly,” either. So take that, sticklers!

To me, witches are never not having a fashion moment. But the New York Times points out that witches of late are especially well-dressed, and they’re inspiring runway shows. Yay!

Gabby
nutella
Columbia University made national headlines this week, and it wasn’t because its students are making scientific breakthroughs or writing the next great American novels. It’s because THEY’RE HOARDING NUTELLA. Early reports that this was costing the school’s dining services thousands of extra dollars per week were later debunked. But my school is part of Columbia, which means I eat in their dining halls, and I can tell you firsthand that there’s at least some truth to Nutella-gate. When you give a bunch of irritable, hungry students access to spreadable candy in a jar, they WILL fill an entire bowl with it and call it lunch. (Not that I’ve done that or anything.)

I’m not saying it’s a good idea to judge people based on their Facebook profiles, but Inconnu zine’s article on what your cover photo says about you is so funny and spot-on. I mean, they couldn’t be more right that a person with a photo that is a hilarious screenshot from their favorite TV show is “flawless” and that you should “trust this person with your life.” (Full disclosure: my current cover photo is a hilarious screenshot from my favorite TV show.)

Anaheed
This new video by Supercute! is like a scene from Rookie’s dream slumber party: a bunch of the raddest girls we know (Supercuties Rachel, Julia, and Olivia, of course, plus Anna Li, who directed it, and Emily Theobald, who styled the band) talking about cute boys in rock bands and experimenting with trippy lighting schemes. It’s from Supercute!’s debut album, Don’t Pop My Bubble, which comes out in June. Their East Coast tour with Kate Nash (!!) starts this Tuesday; dates and cities here.

Dylan

This week, The Stranger makes a case that dogs are better than cats. GOD, I just want to BE A DOG. I bet it does feel really good. ♦

• spudzine March 9th, 2013 12:14 PM

Anne Hathaway is such a role model and an icon-I really don’t see how people CAN’T like her!

• lydiamerida March 9th, 2013 4:52 PM

Yeah I totally agree! Some people said her Oscar acceptance speech sounded snooty, but I did not get that feeling at all from her!

• Taylor March 9th, 2013 12:19 PM

Hey!! Thanks for linking to the cover photo article. Y’all spelled “inconnu” Iconnu, tho. Just fyi~

• heartshapedbox March 9th, 2013 12:27 PM

omg i totally need to watch the friendship game video right now

• fromanotherearth March 9th, 2013 12:52 PM

Amanda Palmer’s TED talk is awesome!

• I.ila March 9th, 2013 2:40 PM

Dogs are not better than cats. nope nope nope.

• filmfatale March 9th, 2013 2:44 PM

The Amanda Palmer link kind of bums me out. She might seem cool, but she’s done a lot of really upsetting things, like make racist tweets (http://www.shakesville.com/2010/03/over-edge.html), went public with a request for free labor after making $1.2 million dollars on her Kickstarter campaign, and treat a suicidal boyfriend in an abusive, manipulative manner (http://missvoltairine.tumblr.com/post/29911133730/why-amanda-palmer-sucks-tw-ableism-suicide-abuse-of). When she created a project with disabled characters who’d been sexually abused, she dismissed even the fans who had contacted her in good faith as “haters”.

• Athena Smith March 9th, 2013 4:07 PM

I’d LOOOOOVE to get my hands on a copy of that zine!

• jenaimarley March 9th, 2013 5:55 PM

I literally (haha) just watched the Amanda Palmer TED talk yesterday! She is such a good speaker.
    Thanks for all the great links!

ALSO GABBBYYY, tell me about Barnard pretty pretty please!!! :)

• Melissa @ WildFlowerChild March 9th, 2013 8:37 PM

Dirty Girls was incredible! I really enjoyed that. Thank you!

<3 Melissa

• themisfitprincess March 9th, 2013 8:47 PM

THIS IS UNRELATED BUT THIS IS THE MOST RECENT POST SO:
    ROOKIE, *please* stay for at least 50 more years, PLEASE. If I ever have children, if my friends ever have children, if I fall in love with someone and they have siblings I WANT THEM TO BE READING ROOKIE. Rookie is literally the best thing ever, so please, PLEASE, never close down. :)

• Coco Jane March 10th, 2013 12:04 AM

glad you guys liked the dirty girls link!

• Cosmo Beatrix March 10th, 2013 11:04 AM

like so much! It’s shot so goooooood.

I really hope Amber and Harper are doing some really cool shit now.. still.
      Does anyone know them?!

• Coco Jane March 10th, 2013 10:17 PM

God it reminded me SO much of my middle school/early high school years … I hope they are now in their late 20s and still just as cool

• Jessica W March 10th, 2013 12:54 AM

I don’t really get Anne Hathaway. I want to obsess over her… But I can’t.
    But then again I don’t care for Ryan Gosling, the Olsens, Beyonce etc.

P.S THE KNIFE 4EVR THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING THEM

The Lovelorn

• whodatgal March 10th, 2013 5:09 AM

omg the dirty girls thing is amazing gah meh meh meh meh meh meh meh i want that zine xoxoxoox

• Jeanne March 10th, 2013 5:45 AM

The Dirty Girls video really makes me want to change things. But like really.

Oh and I saw John Waters’ ‘This Filthy World’ yesterday night and during the signing session, I said like ‘You’re my hero’ and then he said like’ do you know Rookie Magazine?’ and I was all ‘YES! I read your interview!’ and he was like ‘Tavi Gevinson is THE BEST’ and I was like ‘oh yeah.’ and then we talked a little about fashion blogs. He even told me I should start one and design my own clothes ‘because you’re never too young’.
    I was so freaking happy.

• Tavi March 10th, 2013 11:14 PM

That’s a terrific story.

• Pearl March 10th, 2013 9:08 AM

I have no idea why people hate Anne Hathaway. I mean Devil Wears Prada, helloo! She’s so talented & totally deserved that Oscar for Les Miz. I think the whole hating on her stemmed from jealousy, maybe?

• CorduroyMagic March 10th, 2013 11:23 AM

I hate hate hate (like Sheldon Cooper hate0 when people use literally wrong. However, I do get exaggeration/joke uses like the ones on here and that’s cool too. I’m still a purist when it comes to its meaning though.

My current cover photo” not a tv show screenshot per se but a picture of one of my favorite tv characters/actors (Abed from Community aka Danny Pudi)

Also, who hates Anne Hathaway? I’ve seen a lot of stuff recently about people hating Anne Hathaway and it must stop! She is fabulous. I wish I was Anne Hathaway. Total girl crush on Jennifer Lawrence though. She is also fabulous.

• Dino March 10th, 2013 3:19 PM

I agree! This hate thing needs to stop! I happen to LOVE both these actresses!! Ah they are amazing!!!! There is nothing wrong with Anne Hathaway!!!! She was so good in Les Miserable!
      It looks like I am screaming this with all these exclamation marks- but heck I am!!!!

• AnaRuiz March 10th, 2013 3:53 PM

I’m never gonna leave you Rookie, but thank you, thank you, thank you, for that link to innocu magazine.

• MabelEnchanted March 10th, 2013 5:26 PM

I hate people not liking celebrities when they don’t even know them! I don’t even know why anyone would not like Anna Hathaway. What has she gone that’s so annoying?
    I love both Jennifer Lawrence and Anne Hatherway.

• Elle March 10th, 2013 11:38 PM

Hi, um Dylan, you live in San francisco right? I don’t know if I’m allowed to ask this, (and if I’m not, if this is rude, whoever is validating comments please don’t validate this) but I’m going to San francisco with my Aunt from the 25th through the 29th and I was wondering if you had any suggestions of what I should do?

• Dylan April 10th, 2013 2:50 AM

NOooooo why did I just see this now? Oh, I have many suggestions! Next time tweet at me @dylanrupert and I will notice more quickly, instead of a month later when I’m procrastinating from my homework by reading Rookie back issues ;)