Everything else

Saturday Links: Emoji Poetics Edition

The serious dialogue on emoticons that we’ve all been waiting for.

Hazel

Emoji art at Woman Zine.

Emoji art at Woman Zine.

I am in L-U-V with the latest issue of Woman Zine, which is all about emoji. Every single piece—from emoji haiku to an essay about emoji-enhanced engagement announcements—rules. My favorite, though, has to be “Face Screaming in Fear” by Samantha Meier, which is about possible uses for this little guy. It’s just too good!

When I saw the ad for a high-heeled Skechers line called Daddy’$ Money, I didn’t believe it. I thought it had to be some weird spoof. But, no—this totally gross and stupid ad campaign is real! Well, the mommy bloggers also have spoken, and they’re totally offended. “We don’t want [girls] thinking that instead of working for things, they just go ask Daddy (or whatever other man they have in their life in the future),” one mom told the Los Angeles Times. BURN.

Gabby's room.

Gabby’s room.

Fellow Rookie Gabby showed off her amazing dorm room and style this week at Teen Vogue. Her knickknacks, clothes, and accessories are the cutest, and she has a great eye for vintage. Prepare to be really, really jealous.

Caitlin

It has been such a good week for new music videos, especially this beautiful “film” for David Bowie’s “The Stars (Are Out Tonight).” Among other (less important) things, it features Bowie getting kisses from TILDA SWINTON. The song is from Bowie’s forthcoming album, The Next Day, which, at least for now, is streaming for free. The artist Tracey Emin reviews it in this really cute article about her lifelong love for him.

I also really love Atoms For Peace’s latest video. It’s for their single “Ingenue” and stars lead singer Thom Yorke, who sings and dances in his amazing style once again. This time, though, a female partner joins him wearing a three-piece suit that matches his. It couldn’t be more perfect.

Stephanie
There’s been a lot of talk on the internet this week about the Academy Awards, specifically about the host, Seth MacFarlane, and his negative “humor.” I didn’t actually see the show live (The Walking Dead and Girls were on), but afterward I watched a lot of the YouTube clips and read many, many Oscars-related articles—most of which were rife with comments saying MacFarlane’s critics need to learn how to take a joke. A blog post by the author Libba Bray resonated with me—more than anything else I read on the subject—because it argues that really it’s MacFarlane who needs to learn how to make a joke. Bray writes that great humor “is great because it moves the conversation into new territory by exposing hypocrisy and vanity.” MacFarlane’s bit, she continues, was “simply a parade of the same old, tired, sexist, racist, homophobic, fat-chick jokes devoid of the clever or subversive being presented as if they were ‘hip’ and ‘edgy.’” I hope MacFarlane and the Academy bigwigs take note, because the smart kind of humor Bray is talking about is what might lead me to actually watch the Oscars next year.

Suzy
Quvenzhané Wallis, the nine-year-old Oscar nominee for best actress, sparked a total media meltdown this week, which led the whole internet to explode, occasionally thoughtfully. The whole mess is summarized really well in this article on Shakesville. It’s fascinating to me how incredibly destabilizing Wallis’s presence is in Hollywood. Her success seems to have entertainers and reporters completely stumped, grappling for the right (or wrong) words to describe her talent. And they still keep tripping over themselves as they try to figure out how to say her name. Back in January, Quvenzhané broke down its pronunciation in this video, with the help of the TV producer Mikey Glazer and some quality visuals aids:

Anaheed
Like Stephanie, I missed the Oscars and caught up the next day online (unlike her I have no good excuse), and my favorite video from the night is for sure this one of Jennifer Lawrence speaking to the press right after winning her best-actress award. She responds to their ridiculous questions (“The fall on the way to the stage: what happened?”) with cheerfully mocking disbelief, not even pretending she’s taking them seriously:

I love love LOVE that young badasses like Quvenzhané and Jennifer are taking over and calling bullshit on Hollywood pretention! It feels like if one of your best friends became famous and you got to stand in the corner with her and make fun of the whole experience.

Anna

A family photo of Trayvon Martin.

A family photo of Trayvon Martin.

Tuesday marked the one-year anniversary of the death of Trayvon Martin, a teenager who was shot while walking home from a 7-Eleven by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer. Zimmerman claims he was acting in self-defense—though Martin was armed with nothing more than a hoodie and a pack of Skittles. There are a lot of articles out there that detail where Zimmerman, who was charged with second-degree murder, and his case stand, but this week I think it’s especially important to remember Martin’s life. This essay, by Michael Skolnik at Global Grind, is particularly emotional. Skolnik considers the implications of buying a baby-size hoodie for his yet-to-be-born son, and the racist environments in which we live, where a person of color can be considered a “threat” just for wearing a particular article of clothing.

If you haven’t seen Thelma & Louise, you owe it to yourself to stop whatever you’re doing and track down a copy of that classic road movie. Then read this gushing account about what it meant for The Awl’s Maud Newton and Carrie Frye as burgeoning feminists in the early ’90s. They really just GET it:

Carrie: You know how in the beginning of the movie, Thelma’s not sure what to pack for their fishing trip, and so she brings along everything, including a lantern and the entire contents of her underwear drawer? This movie felt like it had to carry a similar load when it came out. Like it wasn’t enough that it be a sharp buddy road-trip movie in the western mold, but it also had to stand as a definitive statement on feminism and being a woman in the ’90s.

The sad thing is I think you could still say that for any piece of female-centered pop culture today.

Sandy

The comedian Chelsea Davison’s impression of Hannah Horvath, Lena Dunham’s character on Girls, is killer. Davison gets every inflection and body movement correct, and she dresses so remarkably like Hannah that when I first saw the thumbnail for the video I thought thought it was her. ♦

• sugarmilz March 2nd, 2013 12:18 PM

Jennifer Lawrence’s speech was funny :`)

• MabelEnchanted March 2nd, 2013 12:45 PM

Me and my friend always just send emojis now instead of texting…
    Jennifer Lawrence is god. I freakin’ love her. She’s so funny and down to earth!

• enface March 2nd, 2013 12:51 PM

I don’t get the Oscars. They care about being seen as SERIOUS and RESPECTABLE so much
    it’s very often not even about choosing film that’s actually the best (there’s a reason there’s a phrase ‘Oscar bait’), and yet, the hosts are like that. I mean, I understand why that happens, I just really don’t like it.

• flapperhatgirl March 2nd, 2013 12:59 PM

Did anyone else notice how awesome this particular selection of Saturday links was? Especally the emojis…
    (I have a feeling that’s not how you spell the plural of emoji, but WHATEVER, we’re talking about emoji(s) here)

• kathryn-s March 2nd, 2013 1:20 PM

I love Jennifer Lawrence so much.

• strawberryhair March 2nd, 2013 1:46 PM

eeeeeeeeeeee Jennifer Lawrence <3

• flocha March 2nd, 2013 3:48 PM

New Bowie video is AMAZING (Tilda Swinton is literally the most beautiful creature ever), and now I actually love Jennifer Lawrence

• stellariver March 2nd, 2013 4:11 PM

I do not think it is Seth MacFarlane fault. The past few host for the Oscars were so not funny, and that is the kind f jokes he was hired to say and write. Also, I personally think when he made that joke about the nine year old and George Clooney, that it had nothing to do with her being black. He was making fun of George Clooney not her. And he never said it would be sixteen years before she was too old to have sex or hook up with George Clooney. It is just is job to make these sort of jokes, and that is just how the Oscars are. He has to make fun of the people there and he wasn’t making fun of her. When I was watching it me and my family were surprised on how that was offensive to George! Just my opinion, but I understand yours too. I do agree that he was asking for it by making that joke, people were bound to attack him for that and it wasn’t THAT funny, so he did not need to have it..

• kathryn-s March 2nd, 2013 8:43 PM

I don’t think that he said that because she was black, either. Unless I’m missing something, that doesn’t make any sense to me. Sure, the joke was aimed at George Clooney, but it sexualized a nine year old girl and was probably uncomfortable for everyone involved. All for the sake of a lame joke. That’s my take on it, anyway.

On an unrelated note, I’m so excited for this month! I am reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd right now, so it totally FITS MY LIFE.

• Montgomery March 2nd, 2013 4:17 PM

UHHHHHH. These people are driving me insane. I am just disappointed in people for their reactions to Quvenzhane. Reporters are giving her new names (i.e. “Lil Q” and “Annie”), John Legend’s girlfriend called her a brat on twitter, the George Clooney “joke”, and the Onion fiasco…her successful acting career is being overshadowed by these jerk butts! My thing is even IF you think she is a brat, or another bad word (which makes YOU look like the jerk), why not just keep that opinion to yourself? You don’t need instant gratification! Especially with such negative opinions. I much prefer spreading the positive, she was P H E N O M E N A L in Beasts of the Southern Wild! I am so excited for her career ahead, especially in Annie! <3 You go Quvenzhane ! RIP to Trayvon, still one of the saddest stories, and people's reactions to it greatly disappointed me as well.

• whambamthankyoumaam March 2nd, 2013 4:34 PM

I love bowie so much…. great song David!

• herdinthehalls March 2nd, 2013 4:41 PM

This month’s theme is going to be SOOO COOOOOOOL.

• StrawberryTwist March 2nd, 2013 5:05 PM

Watching Jennifer Lawrence’s video made me love her so much more as a person! She’s so real and says it how it is.

• goma March 2nd, 2013 5:22 PM

YES YES YES YES!!!!! After reading this, I asked my mom if she liked David Bowie, and she said she had seen him live! During his Ziggy Stardust phase! I am so jealous of my mom now.

• Mary the freak March 2nd, 2013 6:30 PM

daaaavid bowie! *-* he’s just perfect!

• victoria March 2nd, 2013 10:32 PM

awesome links friends!!! also, does that Skechers video remind anyone else of why Charlie White’s work is so awesome?!?!?!? http://www.charliewhite.info/

• Miarele March 2nd, 2013 11:27 PM

the little fierce fireball that is Quvenzhané Wallis is now officially my new muse. haters to the left, tbh. how can they hate on such a cute kid who is confident and keeps it real?

Speaking of keeping it real — Jennifer Lawrence oh how I adore thee. I didn’t realize she’s this funny. I use to think she was flat and has no personality before, something on K-Stew level of indifference, perhaps!

• Promesa March 2nd, 2013 11:54 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jennifer Lawrence, she’s hilarious!!! Lol but it’s so weird saying that because my English teacher looks just like her…

• tellyawhat March 3rd, 2013 12:05 AM

Jennifer Lawrence is a giant baby angel. <3 <3 <3

• artobsessed March 3rd, 2013 12:52 AM

asdhawfjnljksa looking at all of Gabby’s stuff makes me so jealous. ugh. perfect college life at Barnard.

• disfordelightful March 3rd, 2013 4:55 AM

I WOULD LIKE TO APPLAUD CHELSEA DAVIDSON ON HER ENTIRE LIFE I JUST WELL DONE CHELSEA DAVIDSON

• eremiomania March 3rd, 2013 6:19 AM

Am I the only one who doesn’t like Jennifer Lawrence? The Oscars is THE most important recognition of films and I feel like she should’ve taken that more seriously. I think she IS a good actress and she did deserve that award but in that press conference people were asking her serious questions which she just answered with sarcasm. It’s fine to throw a few jokes in here and there but couldn’t she have answered a single question? When people don’t take something as major as the Academy Awards seriously, it just really irks me.

• anyone March 3rd, 2013 11:52 AM

I think it’s a PR thing. It’s kind of her image to be like that, so the press will accept it. Not only that: The press will take that and hype her. And, yeah, it seems like a hype to me.
      But it also seems to be not… natural. Something her PR-People made up for here.

• hellorose March 4th, 2013 3:34 PM

If you watch other videos of Jennifer Lawrence answering questions post-Oscars you’ll see that see responds seriously and intelligently to the serious and intelligent questions asked her, particularly the one about the stigma of mental illness. The video above is a compilation of Lawrence’s funny answers to the more ridiculous questions the press asked her on the night. Correct me if I’m wrong, but no one’s asking Daniel Day Lewis how he got dressed before the Oscars. Of course a big part of the red carpet thing is The Dress, but really it’s just the whole Scarlett Johansson rabbit food question all over again.

And she’s just won an amazing award, who asks someone right then if they think they’ve peaked too soon?

• Lauren Lankford March 7th, 2013 1:51 PM

She took it plenty seriously. She answered the questions with her own douse of humor, and said thank you with complete graciousness. Besides, the questions they asked her in the press conference were a joke in themselves.

And also, how seriously should we be taking the Oscar’s in the first place? I’m sick of giving film celebrities a “holier than thou” place in our society.

• anyone March 3rd, 2013 11:49 AM

Can someone please explain what’s the matter with Jennifer Lawrence?
    I watched this speech and, yeah, it’s funny. She seems to be a cool gal and she has a great and unique voice. But why are the people so obsessed with here (on tumblr, especially)? I saw the trailer for Silver Linings… and I thought: She seems to be a good actress, but best female part? I was shocked! I never heard of here before and BAM she wins this oscar? That’s so strange!
    Emanuelle Riva was nominated and I think she deserved it. She is 86, how many Oscar nominations will she have in her life? And she was AMAZING in Amour.

• eman ekaf March 3rd, 2013 12:13 PM

@eremiomania Yes, I think you are cause she is awesome. I like that she doesn’t take herself too seriously.

• Chelsea Davison March 3rd, 2013 2:10 PM

Hey, thanks for the kind words, though my name is Davison, not Davidson!

Appreciate it!
    @chelsea_davison

• maureen7 March 3rd, 2013 7:43 PM

I’m still not sure how I feel about the oscars… I felt like most things were hit or miss you know? Some things were really funny, others totally stupid and offensive and then a few up to your sense of humour. But I will admit that Seth MacFarlane sings pretty. And that that whole ted bit was like urghhhh why.

The shoe commercial though..There was a BUNNY in it! Obviously I’m totally gonna buy those shoes, like there was a BUNNY in the commercial!! In between the cha-chings and the swags and the daddy’s money bits!
    Genius advertising, not stupid at all!

• jenaimarley March 3rd, 2013 8:59 PM

Gabby’s dorm is so cute! It’s actually so weird too because I just came up to New York from my internship in Philadelphia (I am actually a high school senior in AZ but here for my final project..) to the city and went to Barnard to have dinner with a friend and her friend who are both seniors there. It’s one of my top choices but they seemed to be pretty jaded about it and so I kind of want to hear some more about it from someone with like positive feelingzz?

• Julianne March 4th, 2013 2:42 PM

Yes, yes, yes to Libba Bray’s article about the Oscar disaster. The whole point of humor is to get at revealing TRUTH. I’m so tired of wannabe clowns like Seth Macfarlane reinforcing tired ideology in the guise of being “rebellious”. And I’m so tired of people who intelligently critique this kind of behavior, getting shot-down as overly reactive or too “politically correct”. UGH.

• GlitterKitty March 5th, 2013 7:38 PM

I think whoever chose Seth MacFarlane to host was really more at fault for the offensive jokes than Seth himself. He has made is career off inappropriate, rude humour; to expect him to be polite and nice would just be unrealistic. Although I recognize it is his fault too, he did say those things after all, I think the situation reflects more on the Academy’s judgement than Seth’s.

I also think the jokes made at the Oscars about Quvenzhané Wallis were inappropriate but understandable. (The online hate is just plain mean and totally not okay) She is a child, but she has been thrown into an adult world where there aren’t always double standards for kids and adults. I don’t think that’s necessarily okay but it’s just the way the Oscars operate. I don’t think the jokes overtook the fact that she is amazingly talented and adorable.

And I think Jennifer Lawrence is very talented but I think she needs to be a little more serious. The Academy has just given her a career-defining award and she makes fun of it? Not cool. Her self deprecating humour can be funny too but to me, she comes off as ungrateful and cocky sometimes. I love that she is honest and bold but she should tone it down a bit sometimes.

Yeah… I’m a little obsessed with the Oscars.

• girlhero March 18th, 2013 5:09 PM

I just made a blog post defending the Quvenzhané joke… /flamed