Style

Learning the Face-ics, Lesson Four: The Brows-ics

Fine-tuning the windowpanes to your soul.

She’s shown you how to perfect your skin/pallette. She taught you how to make your lips into works of art. She’s given her eye-makeup secrets away for total free. But she’s not finished; not even close! Today, in the fourth installment of her basic-makeup tutorial series, Amy Rose demystifies one of the most mysterious beauty tricks of all: shaping your own brows. May you never have to pony up your hard-earned cash to have some stranger wax, thread, tweeze, or sugar your brows into submission again.

Part One: Ditching the Randos

Part Two: Basic Shaping*

* IMPORTANT NOTE! In her excitement over eyebrow maintenance, our girl neglected to specify the angle to hold your tweezers at to find your “natural arch.” Basically, the line of the tweezers should hit the middle of your pupil when you’re looking straight ahead. Got that? Outer nostril edge to mid-pupil, and where the tweezers hit your eyebrow, that’s where your arch wants to be.

Part Three: Finishing Touches

Part Four: Filling ’Em In

Stuff she used:
• a pair of slant-tip tweezers (hers are some totally random cheap-o brand from Lot-Less)
• e.l.f. Studio Eyebrow Kit in Medium
• “the internet”

• jenaimarley March 21st, 2013 3:21 PM

Thanks for all your super handy tips, Amy Rose!

I have super dark/full brows and I do actually get them waxed (my mom does massage at a spa and so we basically get it for free)… I’ll get it waxed every once in a while and then just pluck in line (on top and bottom) with the shape they gave me. My aesthetician is super good about keeping them full, which I like.
    But anyway, I have heard different things about brow-waxing. It doesn’t hurt me at all, but is it bad for your delicate eye-skin?

• rosiesayrelax March 21st, 2013 4:17 PM

If only I had this when I was 13. Yeah, I shaved half my eyebrow off.

• mmorsmordree March 21st, 2013 9:17 PM

The same thing happened to me. I completely over plucked after my sister taught me how important eyebrows are. I still have her shape my eyebrows for the most part.

• unefillecommetoi March 21st, 2013 11:46 PM

(Nobody asked me this but here it goes) I literally have Frida Kahlo eyebrows (which is annoying because I live in the same neighborhood where she used to live and random tourists come up to me on the street to tell me so) and I just pluck in between them (like, up to where my eyes start) and I like keeping their shape and thickness… I don’t know if that makes me less attractive but I like how it looks… anyway I was thinking, is plucking really “necessary”? Are there any big browed gals besides Frida? (which I’m particularly annoyed of being compared to)

• whatnaomiloves March 22nd, 2013 1:14 AM

I have “holes” in my eyebrows (when I’m anxious I pull our my brow hairs) – what do you suggest I use to fill those in? Do I still use the powder?

• Amy Rose March 22nd, 2013 11:04 AM

Do you have trichotillomania? It’s worth talking to someone about to help you leave your brows alone in the long-term. In the meantime, yes, powder is totally fine! X O

• whatnaomiloves March 22nd, 2013 6:33 PM

I don’t have symptoms quite as severe as the ones listed on the website, but I’ve definitely wondered if I have it or not.
        Thanks so much, Amy Rose!

• saraandcompany March 22nd, 2013 1:28 AM

@unefillecommetoi

Big eyebrows are the bomb! I mean they’re seriously having a moment right now in fashion and beside that, I think they’re totally fresh and beautiful. Audrey Hepburn had giganto brows now that I think about it. Also Cara Delevinge, who’s having a big moment right now.

I don’t think plucking is nessisary, per se, it’s what you’re comfortable with. I think you can pluck and still have really thick brows, a little goes a long way with plucking. Some people look amazing with big eyebrows. You should detirmine what’s most attractive for you anyways, you know what I’m sayin’?

• moonshine28 March 22nd, 2013 9:55 AM

Hi, I absolutely love these videos! They’re so relaxed and chilled which makes them more fun to watch.

I have quite big eyebrows and I’ve always gone to a salon to have them sorted out, now maybe I’ll try at home! Thank you so much, what’s next?

• Velvetmary March 22nd, 2013 11:13 AM

I have two problems with my eyebrows… first one, they curl a little. like, the hair isn’t straight, but bends. you know how hard it is to put them in a good shape?
    And second, I have naturally darker strawberry blonde hair, but my eyebrows are (like my lashes) dark, almost black. So no matter what I do, it always looks wrong.
    Do you have any tips how to make them looks natural but pretty at the same time?
    Because now I have them way to thin for my taste, and they still look unshaped.

• Ella W March 22nd, 2013 12:06 PM

This is super helpful, when I was 12 I went completely wacko on my brows and ended up with like 1 line of hairs.
    I then let them grow back, but have never been taught how to do it properly, UNTIL NOW!!
    Thanks Amy Rose :)

• heyashes March 22nd, 2013 1:21 PM

I always have professionals do my eyebrows, because my eyebrows are very thick and are dead straight, so I always get confused when I try to tweeze and find my natural arch (if I even have one!)

• Paulatte March 22nd, 2013 4:08 PM

I probably said that too many times, but “learning the face-ics” is such a good title, I’m still not over it.

• Tangerine March 24th, 2013 2:45 PM

Most blondes go with light brown or whatever for filling in their brows, but I stumbled into my ideal shade by accident. Attention strawberry blondes and borderline redheads: powdered bronzer, like for your face, looks great in your eyebrows.

• Ben March 28th, 2013 11:37 PM

ever since this video i have been obsessed with eyebrows too and observing everyone’s eyebrows and stuff!