Everything else

Editor’s Letter

March 2013: Mystery

Consider this month directed by David Lynch.

Consider this month directed by David Lynch.

Hi, Rookies!

Welcome to March’s theme, Mystery. On our minds this time around: David Lynch, Alfred Hitchcock, and all the eeriness of the regular ol’ suburbs. I think the appearance of normalcy almost always ensures a bit of darkness underneath, so this month we’ll be looking at the kinds of mysteries that have been right in front of you all along. In case you just get SO SWEPT UP in the theme that you start walking around in a trench coat and spying on your neighbors, here’s a playlist I made of some menacing music to act as your soundtrack.

In Every Dream Home a Heartache
10. “Bad Things” — Cults
11. “Bad Seeds” — Beat Happening
12. “Poison Ivy” — The Rolling Stones
13. “What’s the Ugliest Part of Your Body?” — The Mothers of Invention
14. “Runaway” — Del Shannon
15. “Blue Velvet” — Bobby Vinton

Also, we’re hosting a showcase with Urban Outfitters on Wednesday, March 13th, in Austin, Texas. Feast your eyes on this promising agenda!

RookiexUO Austin540

I’m sad to say I can’t make it, but a number of our other staffers will be there, plus PIZZA, so like, what more could one want?

And finally, it’s not too late to submit something for this month, but April’s theme is Age of Innocence in case you wanna start on that. In a nutshell, it’ll be about pre- and post-loss of innocence, whatever that may mean, and old British people.

Thank you, as always, for being here, and may you power through this end-of-winter slump with all the episodes of Scandal and midnight snacks in the world.

Love,
Tavi

• rats-for-candy March 1st, 2013 3:29 PM

Yes! <3 I also think that In Dreams by Roy Orbinson would've been good on this playlist, both because it's in Blue Velvet and because it has a really creepy feel to it.

• Mary the freak March 1st, 2013 3:30 PM

aww, yay! that sounds like such an awesome month! Also it’s my birthday in a few days, so…

Extremely excited for this month! (and for spring…)

• katie March 1st, 2013 3:32 PM

another editor letter another reminder of how much i wish tavi wrote more on here

• WitchesRave March 1st, 2013 5:01 PM

Agreed, I really love her writing
      And can I please just move to america now so I can go to all these cool Rookie events? :( i guess Ill just be there in spirit by eating pizza too on the night..

witches-rave.tumblr.com

• jenaimarley March 1st, 2013 3:33 PM

Eee excited for this month and also look forward to the Age of Innocence!
    I was just curious: how do you decide where to do events?

• Tavi March 2nd, 2013 3:02 AM

In this case, it’s because people and bands will be in Austin for SXSW. For the road trip, we took a survey on the site to see where most of our U.S. readers lived and which of those cities were close to each other. For the Yearbook events, we did the 4 North American cities with the most readership.

• Katzemuse March 1st, 2013 3:37 PM

awesome!

• Jacklyn March 1st, 2013 4:01 PM

OHHHHH! Why does Texas have to be so far away??? And why do those bands have to be so good?? Alas…

• MabelEnchanted March 1st, 2013 4:01 PM

Looking forward to this month as you’ve mentioned two of my favourite directors! And what’s even more weird is the fact that I just finished watching Mulholland Drive…(a must see!)
    Great playlist. I also love Lana Del Rey’s cover of Blue Velvet.
    And this showcase makes it more annoying that I live in the UK.

• Marian March 1st, 2013 4:09 PM

WHAT!!! ICONA POP?! GAHHHH I wish I lived in Texas!

• enface March 1st, 2013 4:16 PM

I already love this theme.

• Kpell March 1st, 2013 4:20 PM

This playlist is great, especially including The Orwells!!!

• tove March 1st, 2013 4:50 PM

Cliche alert: I can’t believe it’s March already!
    I’m so excited for this month’s theme though.

• HollinsCollins March 1st, 2013 5:11 PM

This month is directed by David Lynch…YAY. But also *shudduh* hehehehe

• ghoststakepolaroids March 1st, 2013 5:19 PM

when i saw this months theme i was like ‘THERE BETTER BE PLENTY OF TWIN PEAKS THIS MONTH’

• Alexx March 1st, 2013 5:35 PM

Ugh why do i have to live so far from all the rookie meetups :(
    And you’re having freaking ICONA POP there! I saw them live once (as an opening act for marina and the diamonds) and they were just AMAZING
    THis month’s theme sounds really cool though! im looking forward to seeing lots more great material like the rad playlist above :)

• kathryn-s March 1st, 2013 5:41 PM

old british people? DOES THIS MEAN THE DOWAGER COUNTESS??

• Feli-city March 1st, 2013 6:11 PM

YES I am so excited for this theme, I’m hoping for Twin Peaks, and murder mysteries, and foggy cemeteries. I love cemeteries and general eerie-ness. Basically if I was turned into a piece of jewelry I’d be one of those Victorian mourning pendants with the dead person’s braided hair inside of it.

• lydiamerida March 1st, 2013 6:35 PM

Ahhhh I wish I lived in Texas

• ladyjenna March 1st, 2013 7:04 PM

AWWWWW MAAAAAAAN

live in texas…..but will be travelling spring break!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAHAHHHHHH

such woe

• avonnlea March 1st, 2013 7:50 PM

OMG!! I LIVE IN AUSTIN!! totally skipping school for this! [choking on life]

• avonnlea March 1st, 2013 8:10 PM

oh wait, i wouldn’t even have to skip bc we’ll be on spring break, but my parents want to go to San Antonio then and i’m currently in the process of trying to persuade them to let me go!! what part of “this is a once in a lifetime thing” do they not understand? lolol. love the theme, btw :)

• rottedteeth March 1st, 2013 8:10 PM

Ugh nu sensae and white lung, why do I have to live so far away? Mish Way and Daniel Pitout are my never gonna happen loves

• camikki March 1st, 2013 8:43 PM

PLEASE come have a showcase in Atlanta!! It would be so awesome and I know a ton of people that would come!!

• caro nation March 3rd, 2013 9:21 AM

SECOND. Are you part of the Atlanta Rookies Facebook group, camikki?

• love_soup March 1st, 2013 9:49 PM

Austin??? come to new york!!!!!!

• yellowplaid March 7th, 2013 12:48 PM

love_soup I am from Manhattan, New York City. I could use some hobby friends because no one I know really shares my interests and they don’t read Rookie. Just going with Tavi’s idea of community! I am a 25 year old woman though….

• diana94 March 2nd, 2013 1:11 AM

COMING TO TEXAS DURING MY SPRING BREAK?????? LIFE MUST LOVE ME SO MUCH!!!!!!

• anyone March 2nd, 2013 7:34 AM

I am SO excited! I knew there would be David Lynch this month.
    I wanted to write something about how much I love his work and send it to Rookie but … then February was over and I did not have time for that :(
    Because, well I am crazy obsessed with him…

Now, sorry, I will go back to think about Twin Peaks… (that’s what I do the whole day)

• purrr March 2nd, 2013 7:49 AM

re: next months theme, don’t forget about Valerie and Her Week Of Wonders. put it on your moodboard. I would submit something myself, but I am busy battling my apathy.

• Cynthia March 2nd, 2013 9:10 AM

I know that next month is ages away, but… OMG, NEXT MONTHS THEME IS ABOUT INNOCENCE AND THE LOSS OF INNOCENCE? You totally have to include something about William Blake- we’re studying him in English and I have to write an essay about his poetry and, like, he explores the marriage of opposites in his poetry- such as: innocence and experience!! Everyone has to look up Infant Joy and Infant Sorrow. It’s so interesting people!!

I also love this months theme- I hope that there’ll be something about Murder Mysteries (and, like, omg you guys, you all need to search up Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries- it’s this awesome australian tv show set in 1920′s Melbourne which is all about the hounarable Miss Phryne Fisher who is a private detective who investigates all sorts of murders and often gets in the way of Detective Inspector Robinson’s plans. And Miss Fisher always solves the case and she’s a genius and there is totally awesome fashion in the show and superb acting… And it’s AMAZING, and you guys need to check out more Australian tv, it is original and with great actors and …yea. And they’re currently filming season 2, right now, as we speak)

Okay, I’m done…

• thecoolcustomer March 2nd, 2013 12:32 PM

Ugh I wish I was in Texas right now. And yay for mystery! That is such a interesting theme because of all the different interpretations and thoughts of it!

• yellowplaid March 2nd, 2013 7:29 PM

I was looking forward to this month because I just discovered my new interest in the mystery genre. I was watching all of these different cop shows and I didn’t realize why I liked them so much. It’s nice to have a name for what I like now. Can’t wait until they name movies and tv shows related to mystery. VERONICA MARS! PSYCH! lol. THE MOVIE “BRICK” with Joseph Gordon-Levitt! Can’t wait. :D

• yellowplaid March 2nd, 2013 8:23 PM

oh yeah. and happy women’s history month to us. beautiful mysterious creatures!

• Cecilia Hernandez March 3rd, 2013 2:08 AM

What a playlist! <3 sigh~ I wish I lived in Texas

• maijamagpie March 3rd, 2013 8:42 AM

omg The Smiths, CocoRosie and Elliott Smith all in one playlist.

• allier March 3rd, 2013 12:26 PM

a rookie meetup, pizza, and ICONA POP!??? suddenly sad that i live in pennsylvania and not texas.

• katiebell929929 March 3rd, 2013 1:13 PM

I MIGHT GET TO GO TO THE SHOWCASE MY LIFE WOULD BE COMPLETE AHHH

what fabulous rookie staff members will be there????

• yellowplaid March 3rd, 2013 4:19 PM

Also can’t wait to see the pictures from the March showcase! Can’t wait to see the street style! : D

• Nikilodeon March 3rd, 2013 9:33 PM

Okay Rookie are you spying on me? Your theme this month is perfect because the prom theme of our school is Espionage and Clandestine-ness. So awesome! Alas, the stars have aligned.

• Amy Simpson March 7th, 2013 6:09 PM

will somebody who lives in texas adopt me for a week please? :(((((((