Music

This Charming Man: An Interview With Morrissey

“My life as a teenager was so relentlessly foul.”

Illustration by Minna

Illustration by Minna

I don’t think I really need to introduce you guys to Morrissey, but just in case: He’s been an icon for, oh, more than three decades now. He began his career in the early ’80s as the frontman (and heart) of the Smiths before going solo in 1987, and he is notorious not only for his music, but also for his political activism, especially when it comes to animal rights (he cancelled a performance on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight because the cast of A&E’s Duck Dynasty was also scheduled to appear).

Moz has been hugely important to so many of us over the years because his songs are relentlessly passionate, and he celebrates his individuality rather than being marginalized by it. No matter how dark his lyrics get, he never loses sight of the beauty and humanity in other people and himself. His music has saved my life many times, so it’s hard to express just how much I love him, and how absolutely blown away with joy and gratitude I was when he graciously agreed to answer some questions via email for Rookie.

AMY ROSE: You started writing music when you were in your teens, and you published books about James Dean and the New York Dolls in your early 20s. What was your creative process like as a young person, and how has it changed?

MORRISSEY: Those weren’t books, just juvenile essays, and thoughtless rubbish at that. I had no creative process, just pain, which I mistakenly assumed might be creative process. Well, it wasn’t…

I think the way you address alienation in your music really resonates with your fans. Do you think a certain degree of loneliness enriches our lives? Is it OK, or even good, to feel alone?

Everyone is, in fact, alone. Being contractually tied to another person—in marriage, for example—accentuates the loneliness, because you have effectively allowed the state to determine your obligations to someone, as if you can’t trust and manage your own feelings by yourself. Anyway, I see humans as essentially solitary creatures, and this is not changed by surrounding ourselves with others, because they too are solitary. Life is a very serious business for the simple reason that nobody dies laughing.

What were your greatest aspirations as a young person, and would you say you’ve achieved them?

My greatest aspiration was to make it through the coming week. As a teenager I found life to be inevitably disgusting, and I could see no humanity in the human race. When my time in music began, I found all my goals were reachable. For the first time ever in my life, I spoke and people listened. I had never known such a thing previously. My life as a teenager was so relentlessly foul that I still can’t believe I actually survived it. Perhaps I didn’t…

What political causes mattered most to you back then, and are they still important to you now?

But the most political gesture you can make is to refuse to eat animals. It was so when I was a teenager, and is still the case now.

What music or movies or artists do you recommend to your teenage fans today that they might not know about?

The arts have diminished, because we are now living through a time when we are encouraged not to think. No one making music wants to waste time struggling with art. A group like the Sex Pistols would never again be allowed to slip through, and there is no such thing in 2013 as a popular artist who sets their own terms for success. Whether it be Beyoncé or Justin Bieber, we see singers who have absolutely nothing to offer anyone as they walk offstage clutching three Grammys in each hand.

Many of your lyrics deal with self-preservation in a world that can sometimes be less than gentle. You strike a balance between acknowledging personal hardship and pain and fiercely appreciating beauty. What helps you to see the loving and good parts of life during tough times?

If I feel it, then others surely must. That’s the only thought that sustains me.

At the end of each of your shows, people rush the stage and try to hug you or hold your hand. You’re always very gracious about it in a way that many artists aren’t, but how do you feel about it?

In recent years I saw McDonna live, and no audience member reached up toward her to try to touch her. I see this so often with artists who we’re told are global stars. It is a big lie. Or else, you might possibly be a big star, but you are not loved. My audience has an urgent need to touch, to shake hands, to move out of their seats, to defy so-called security, to make physical contact. They don’t simply sit and observe, but feel the urge to act. It’s a great compliment for me, and one that most Grammy winners could probably never imagine.

One of our readers said that she realized you two were soul mates when she noticed she was wearing the same color nail polish as you at one of your shows. I’m sure our readers want to know: Where do you find good cruelty-free products?

It isn’t difficult these days, because lots of companies have abandoned animal testing, mainly because they know people no longer want animal-tested products—for moral reasons, but also because of the logical realization that a test on an animal doesn’t have any bearing on how human skin will react to the same ingredient. [Some of the major companies] have started to turn their backs on animal torture, and that’s very encouraging. And some companies—Clarins, for example—say they do not test on animals, but they won’t print this information on their products. But if there were any real concerns for public safety, then cigarettes, which kill most of their customers, would never be sold.

How would you describe the experience of writing your forthcoming memoir, and what do you hope readers will take from it?

I think autobiography is mostly self-worship, or personal mythology. In my case, self-disgust is the spur, which doesn’t mean it isn’t poetic or elevated or even funny.

What would you like to achieve, as a person and an artist, in the years to come?

I have no vision of the future. I never have. There is nothing to consider other than today. I’m saving tranquility for when I’m dead.

If you could tell your teenage self one thing, what would it be?

I am still my teenage self. If you think that we all step through a door marked Adult, or that we sign a Grown-Up Document, you’re quite wrong. We remain as we always were, and that, alas, is one of life’s many nasty tricks. ♦

• JoanaNielsen February 26th, 2013 3:06 PM

This is so moving. I want to cry.

• Emma S. February 26th, 2013 3:09 PM

AMY ROSE I AM DYING FOR YOU.

• unicornconnect February 26th, 2013 3:10 PM

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. I love you Morrissey!!!!!! The smiths rock my socks off every minute of the day!!!!

• Caitlin H. February 26th, 2013 3:12 PM

<3 <3 <3

• deuxiemesexe February 26th, 2013 3:12 PM

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT OH MY GOD I CAN’T BREATHE I’M CRYING

• Mary the freak February 26th, 2013 3:14 PM

OMG A INTERVIEW WITH MORISSEY MY LIFE IS ROOOOOCKED!!! this is so perfect!

• moose February 26th, 2013 3:17 PM

This is the greatest!

• Pelin February 26th, 2013 3:18 PM

OH MY GOD WHAT, I CAN’T EVEN. What just happened…?!
    This is so amazing! And so unexpected!

• pinmq February 26th, 2013 3:18 PM

WHAT

• Pau Árbol February 26th, 2013 3:22 PM

THIS IS COMPLETELY AMAZING <3 <3 <3

• Sharon February 26th, 2013 3:23 PM

cries softly

• MickeyMickeranno February 26th, 2013 3:24 PM

OMG AMY ROSE!!! How did you manage to do this? I would be to scared to ask him anything haha and they were such great questions!! Congratulations!

• limegreensunset February 26th, 2013 3:24 PM

this interview.
    i can’t even.
    morrissey > my life.

• decemberbaby February 26th, 2013 3:25 PM

WHAHAAAATQFDSFLASKJD;FJSHS HLDKSZDFS
    OHHHH MY GOSHHHHH

YOU GOT MORRISSEY.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

AHHHHHHHASHDFALJSDKGHSAJFDKHWA

MOZ HI I LOVE YOU

• Laia February 26th, 2013 3:25 PM

EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS IS SO PERFECT.

• Kaetlebugg February 26th, 2013 3:30 PM

Huh. I kind of buy “War, I thought, was the most negative aspect of male heterosexuality.” But he lost me at “If more men were homosexual, there would be no wars, because homosexual men would never kill other men, whereas heterosexual men love killing other men.” I don’t like statements that broad or impossible to prove. Seems to me a well-intentioned but completely misguided statement. Also he dissed Beyonce :(

• Abby February 26th, 2013 4:27 PM

Yeah… Guys please don’t hate me for saying this, but that kind of offended me. That’s honestly a pretty misguided (and a bit ridiculous) statement to make.

That said, I did enjoy the rest of it! It’s so amazing that Rookie is so cool that Morrisey agreed to an interview!!

• Badlands February 26th, 2013 5:32 PM

Totally agree. He sounds like a total D-Bag. Ugh.

That being said I am super happy for Amy Rose, dream come true interview!

• marineo February 26th, 2013 7:13 PM

“It’s a great compliment for me, and one that most Grammy winners could probably never imagine.”

I kind of barfed a little at that line….
      just because music is popular doesn’t make it inherently bad….

• raggedyanarchy February 27th, 2013 10:39 AM

When I was reading, I thought he kind of sounded like an angsty kid rather than a musical genius. And he dissed Beyonce and implied there was no meaning or art in her music. And it was wrong to say these popular artists don’t make connections with their fans because they do.

And I know some straight guys who hate war and killing others just as much as I do. And some gays who want to enlist in the army. It was kind of too broad a statement to make, you know?

• Jamia February 26th, 2013 3:31 PM

Amazing interview Amy Rose! x

• MikaylaT February 26th, 2013 3:31 PM

SCREECHING AH

• lubs February 26th, 2013 3:32 PM

“I am still my teenage self. If you think that we all step through a door marked Adult, or that we sign a Grown-Up Document, you’re quite wrong. We remain as we always were, and that, alas, is one of life’s many nasty tricks. ”
    Oh my Morrissey yes! I am starting to realize that, and it’s the most awkward feeling in the world. AMY ROSE U SO LUCKY

• Ana February 26th, 2013 3:37 PM

oh my gosh!! My jaw dropped when i saw the article!!!! Amy you lucky girl!

• iamrachii February 26th, 2013 3:46 PM

I love how perfect this interview is even though he didn’t answer half of the questions, I especially love how he answered that last one. I swear he was sent down from another world to try and talk sense into us; once I interviewed Morrissey fans (not as cool) and a girl said she loved him because he was “the only other person like me” and I never really got it at the time but now I really really do. I’m so happy that this interview happened.

• Mylene Lacrampe February 26th, 2013 3:47 PM

MORRISEY > EVERYTHING

• sophiethewitch February 26th, 2013 3:47 PM

When I first saw this , I was sure it couldn’t be real.
    I mean, MORISSEY… This is the best thing that ever happened on the Internet!!!

Amy Rose, I know he’s one of your heroes, and I’m so happy for you.

Though I don’t agree with the thing about war and straight men. I don’t think being attracted to people of a specific gender means you’ll have a problem committing mass genocide of people of that gender… Think about wars (fought mainly be straight men) where an army pillages a village and kills civilians. These men are mostly attracted to women, but that doesn’t mean they have any scruples about killing the women (and children) living in that village.

• lxmldrt February 26th, 2013 4:06 PM

I think he means that the normal values that are meant to be “heterosexual” and “manly” are often linked to killing and brutality (such as hunting and eating a big steak and stuff). And as a homosexual male doesn’t ever feel the need to prove his straight manliness, maybe he will not kill anyone just for pleasure. He’s just generalizing a great deal.

• sophiethewitch February 27th, 2013 12:09 AM

Either way, it’s bullshit. The idea that gay men aren’t manly comes from a culture of misogyny and homophobia.

I think a lot of what he said was pretty irritating, and that rookies are creating excuses for him because they idolize him.

He basically cited two mainstream pop musicians as evidence that there is no good music being made today. Guess what? Regardless of your opinion on Beyoncé and Bieber (personally, I’m not a big fan), EVERY generation has shitty music. But the good music is what we remember, and then we compare our good music to the next generation’s shitty music, the music that hasn’t stood the test of time, and claim that they don’t make good music anymore. When really the past generation had equally bad music, and it just got filtered out over time.

If you want a sense of a past generation’s taste in music, don’t look up the greats. Listen to their “top hits of the week” on the radio at that time. I promise you, some of it will be terrible.

• sophiethewitch February 27th, 2013 1:57 AM

Just to be clear, I’m 100% including myself as someone who was trying to make excuses for him because I love his music so much. But in this interview he just sounds so conceited and annoying and close-minded… I’m gonna go reread Hero Takes a Fall (the rookie article about just this).

Also, I don’t know if she’s reading this or okay with responding, but I’d really like to know what Amy Rose thought of the interview.

• sophiethewitch February 27th, 2013 1:58 AM

• Tyknos93 February 27th, 2013 6:33 AM

Oops posted this as a comment not reply:

^ THIS. Just ALL of this. I’m holding my tongue, because I’m noticing some extreme double standards in this comment section/ article. Amy Rose, I applaud you for remaining objective, because I would’ve probably given him a piece of my mind at some of these responses.

Incredibly talented dude, but I’m starting to wish more and more that I hadn’t ‘heard’ him talk and my illusion shattered.

Again, not saying every entertainer or public figure should be put on a Godlike pedestal and every word set in gold, but there are just too many things said here that I find a problem with.

• Samara February 27th, 2013 7:09 AM

Agreed completely! I’m glad someone said this

• lxmldrt February 27th, 2013 7:48 AM

Yeah, I know! Besides the fact that there’s always shitty music, I mean, I actually disagree more with his opinion on beyoncé than on wars. He’s just always being so negativly provocative, I’m not with him on that. But I did stand up for him a little on that because I thought maybe he had a point.

Even though, I really think is great that people question their idols more than just putting them in some pedestal.

And of course I don’t think that homosexual guys are less manly, or that it’s ok that anyone thinks so,
          that’s what the quotes were for, sorry I though that was taken for granted.

• erica84 February 27th, 2013 12:55 PM

yeah i’m kinda dissapointed. it’s a shame that i read this because i won’t be able to listen to his (awesome) music the same way now. i’m kinda dissapointed in most of the rookies too, because if it was some ‘mainstream’ star who said this, everyone would be criticizing but now they’re just loving it because of his music.

• sophiethewitch February 27th, 2013 9:42 PM

@lxmldrt Don’t worry, I didn’t think you thought that gay men aren’t manly. Sorry if I came off sounding angry, that was directed at Morissey, not you.

• lxmldrt March 1st, 2013 8:20 AM

@sophiethewitch Yeah that’s OK don’t worry let’s virtual-hug!

• MotherOfInvention February 26th, 2013 3:47 PM

Whoa, Rookie! BIG congrats, especially to Amy Rose! Perfect questions, thanks for going out on a limb to thrill us all!

• lxmldrt February 26th, 2013 3:48 PM

quitting mc’donalds 4 u baby

• María Fernanda February 26th, 2013 3:49 PM

♥ ♡♡ ♥ ♡♡ ♥ ♡♡

• Jennifer Carrick February 26th, 2013 3:55 PM

This is quite possibly my most favourite thing that has ever been posted here on Rookie. <3

• maijamagpie February 26th, 2013 3:56 PM

Oh my absolute goodness Amy Rose. MORRISSEY.
    I am hyperventilating.
    thesequinedworld.blogspot.ie

• imogan February 26th, 2013 3:58 PM

oh my god this is wonderful, i really feel sometimes like morrissey is my soul sister or something

• Maria Ll. February 26th, 2013 4:00 PM

I almost burnt the seitan I was cooking because I had to read this immediately.
    Good job, Amy Rose!

• Surreal Realm February 26th, 2013 4:04 PM

I think I had I slight heart attack when I saw this article, you know, Morrissey.
    I don’t think I’m quite over it yet…
    Morrissey and Rookie…Match made in heaven for me (and every commenter here, clearly).

Also, congrats to Amy Rose for both having the chance to interview him and coming up with such brilliant questions.

• jenaimarley February 26th, 2013 4:09 PM

“War, I thought, was the most negative aspect of male heterosexuality.”

“The most political gesture you can make is to refuse to eat animals.”

Interesting ideas. But wow, this is so powerful.

• Manda February 26th, 2013 4:11 PM

THIS COMPLETES ME. This makes me wonder if he’s read any of the articles on Rookie written about him.

• MotherOfInvention February 26th, 2013 4:13 PM

Mr Dear Amy-Rose,
    When I bought my home I was so proud of how beautiful it was. The paint was still glistening on the freshly painted walls when your mother and you and your sisters moved in. I walked upstairs,and the noticed the first thing you had done is tacked a Morrissey poster right up on that pristine wall! I did not get angry, for I love Morrissey as well. I am soooo proud of you!!!! You F-ing Nailed It!!! This might come up under your mothers moniker,but you know it’s Duth!

• WitchesRave February 26th, 2013 4:15 PM

OH MY EFFING GOD DID I MISREAD THE TITLE OR WAS THIS AN INTERVIEW WITH FREAKING MORRISSEY! AMY ROSE GIVE ME YOUR JOB!

witches-rave.tumblr.com

• MabelEnchanted February 26th, 2013 4:19 PM

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! I ACTUALLY THOUGHT THIS WAS GOING TO BE A LIE!
    I LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE MORRISSEY! I CAN’T BELIEVE HE AGREED TO BE INTERVIEWED! I LOVE HIM!

Okay, enough of the capitals but this is so exciting and he’s great and you’re great and just everything is great right now! <3333

• LeavesThatAreGreen February 26th, 2013 4:20 PM

Ahhh, this is awesome.

• MabelEnchanted February 26th, 2013 4:22 PM

ps he’s a sex god.
    I must admit he can be a bit of a dick but that’s just what makes him better. HE UNDERSTANDS LIFE. I LOVE HIM

• dearedie February 26th, 2013 4:29 PM

OMG, AMY ROSE YOU’RE SO LUCKY! THIS IS SO PERFECT, I’M DONE ASDFGHJKL;

• CeciliaCecilia February 26th, 2013 4:36 PM

He seems so pessimistic and a bit unappreciative. That’s just my impression, though.

• Charlotte Crober February 26th, 2013 4:37 PM

I find it ridiculously rad that as soon as I put on my brand new Smiths LP, this article showed up on my newsfeed.

• ♡ reba ♡ February 26th, 2013 4:41 PM

i don’t particularly like morrissey or the smiths that much, BUT THIS INTERVIEW IS FANTASTIC!! amazing, going to go listen to every album all night now :-) exciting!!!!!!

• Kristen February 26th, 2013 4:43 PM

This made me tear up. Woah.

• Ladymia69 February 26th, 2013 4:49 PM

This man isn’t gloomy at all, he simply sees the truth and speaks it when no one else will. I never listened to him growing up, but I truly have never read another interview where I so intensely identified with almost every answer. I am just going to have to read as many of his interviews as I can now. I love him for his honesty.

• bird February 26th, 2013 4:51 PM

I know some of the comments are offended but I kind of like him more for being provocative … like isn’t that the point of being Morrissey? Fucking with people a bit.
    Great questions by the way.

• fromanotherearth February 26th, 2013 5:35 PM

I agree 4000% like he will always be radical and outrageous and people often take what he says in complete literalness.

• Marian February 26th, 2013 4:53 PM

WHAT!!!!!!! AMY I”M SO JEALOUS!!

• venus-in-furs February 26th, 2013 4:56 PM

MORRISSEY IS MY FAVORITE PERSON

I’m so happy you got to interview him!!!! oh my gooooodnesssss

I saw him in concert last October and I touched his arm as he was outside about to go into his tourbus and he looked at me for a second and I wanted to cry I love him so much

• yumi February 26th, 2013 4:59 PM

Wow! Oh Morrissey, oh Amy Rose!
    It took me some seconds to really believe it…
    I still want to cry every time I remember I wasn’t at his concert because it was 18+, but this interview made my day <3

• saramarit February 26th, 2013 5:04 PM

“War, I thought, was the most negative aspect of male heterosexuality. If more men were homosexual, there would be no wars, because homosexual men would never kill other men, whereas heterosexual men love killing other men. They even get medals for it. Women don’t go to war to kill other women. Wars and armies and nuclear weapons are essentially heterosexual hobbies.”

This statement is yet another reason why I find this man FOUL. Sexist bullshit on rookie, dissapointing.

• Abby February 27th, 2013 12:25 PM

Yeah… I’m sad that that was here too. Honestly I feel like if a writer for Rookie had said that then it wouldn’t have gone on the site, but because it was this idol it didn’t matter. Makes me sad. He seems like a pretty pessimistic, misguided person, even if he does have good music.

• Elle February 27th, 2013 8:43 PM

I definitely don’t agree with the words he used, but I think that what he meant wasn’t as bad as it sounded. I don’t know, but I think what he should have said was that a lot of wars have been started because of some sort of ‘manly’ attitude. I don’t at all like how he pretty much blamed a specific group of people for wars and mass destruction though.

I love his music and some of what he says, but I think that he is the sort of smart, clever person who feels as though they are some how better than others or able to judge other HUMANS because he is more “well-rounded/interesting” then them (ha). I think that this is the sort of attitude that has lead to all the types of oppression that humans put each other through.

Also, I feel like a lot of what he says is just remixed Oscar Wilde quotes.

• boringbrick February 26th, 2013 5:11 PM

His negativity makes him so beautiful ;;

• fromanotherearth February 26th, 2013 5:33 PM

wHAT when i saw the article title i thought you were kidding nOPE nearly shitting myself for ya amy rose this is SO rad i can’t believe you interviewed morrissey like the ACTUAL morrissey! jeez louise this article made my day/week/month/life i cannot get over this MORRISSEY KNOWS ROOKIE EXISTS!
    /deep breaths/

woOOoW this is a great interview i will regret this comment later but i’m so happy!!!

• Tulip February 26th, 2013 5:36 PM

Amazing interview! This is so fitting too because I’m seeing him perform this weekend!

tulip-agate.blogspot.com

• catpower44 February 26th, 2013 5:49 PM

THIS IS JUST TOO MUCH!!! Gah I love Morrisey and the Smiths. I literally had a little freak out in response to this! I love this article so much!
    <3 <3 <3

• catpower44 February 26th, 2013 6:29 PM

crap sorry guys my s key is sticky. I mean Morrissey. (And most importantly, sorry Morrissey!)

• missblack February 26th, 2013 5:52 PM

I love Morissey (meaning, I suppose, that I love the Smiths) but I did get very strong oppositional feelings when he dissed Beyoncé.

Little&Trivial

• Alexx February 26th, 2013 6:15 PM

To Whoever Made This Interview Possible:
    Just the fact that you were able to get this interview has rendered me speechless. Thank you for making my day by getting such a wonderfully relatable genius on this site!

To the wonderful genius mentioned above:
    If I could articulate what your songs have done for me I would, but since I can’t seem to do that properly, I just want you to know that your lyrics have touched me and helped out through much too many hard times. Of course I probably haven’t gone through anything similar to what you have, but there have been so many times where I feel as if can relate to your lyrics on an emotional level. Especially “Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me”. Gosh, that song is beautiful.

• woahmeredith February 26th, 2013 6:19 PM

holy crap i can’t believe you guys got MORRISSEY.

• Moxx February 26th, 2013 6:20 PM

Oh my god I can’t even
    I am so proud to read this magazine
    This is the greeaaaatesstststsss

• lydiamerida February 26th, 2013 6:28 PM

He sounds like kind of a D Bag, but I like him for that. He is able to be himself and obviously is confident with his opinions, wich many of us can only hope to be.

• CorduroyMagic February 26th, 2013 6:48 PM

“Life is a very serious business for the simple reason that nobody dies laughing.” I died.

I really love the Smiths, so it was uber exciting to see this.

Most of this was beautiful and so well said, it’s the kind of stuff you always thought but never put words to. He sounds very intelligent and his celebration (if you can call it that) of solidarity has done him wonders.

However, he’s on a bit of high horse and awfully absurdist in a way that I find somewhat alienatingly pseudo-introspective rather than relatable or “deep”.

These remarks render all the great material, annoying and fakey. Like, maybe he just got lucky with that one.

When he says he’s still his teenage self, I believe it because he’s so angsty and bad-poetry deep. He is in every teenagers angsty dark misfit stage. It’s time to stop sitting in your room alone and be an adult.

At least he’s self aware.

There are ways to be passionate and opinionated and strong without it being at the expense of others. In other words, chill your tits Morrissey.

• sophiethewitch February 27th, 2013 2:00 AM

THIS.

• Abby February 27th, 2013 12:26 PM

Totally agree. Also, I’m going to use that phrase “chill your tits” hahaha.

• soretudaaa February 26th, 2013 6:49 PM

YES HE DISLIKES BEYONCE TOO I AM NOT ALONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

• deuxiemesexe February 26th, 2013 7:39 PM

NO YOU’RE NOT ALONE! Nowadays it seems like an obligation to like Beyoncé but I don’t really care about her or her music at all. If you don’t worship her you are like, condemned.

• puffling February 27th, 2013 11:18 AM

i totally condemn you both lol.

• soretudaaa February 28th, 2013 11:12 AM

well THAT is exactly why I dislike her. Because I find it extremely annoying when people tell me what I have to like, or idolize a person to the point of it being mandatory to like them.
          Also people act like she’s some kind of poster girl for WOC and like, no, I’m a WOC and she does NOT represent me or empower me in any way.
          besides her music is mediocre at best.

• soretudaaa February 28th, 2013 1:07 PM

Besides I think the point he was trying to make (and one I agree with) is in the following quote: “The arts have diminished, because we are now living through a time when we are encouraged not to think.”

Simple things like disliking Beyonce are becoming socially unacceptable, because it’s becoming unacceptable to question these Big Dogmas disguised as truth that we’re constantly told to believe and agree with. We’re encouraged to become less and less argumentative, and more apologetic for actually disagreeing with these statements. We’re constantly told that our opinion has no value if it’s different from what we’re supossed to think. Art, therefore, has become just another way to voice this “Universal Truth”, instead of a way to question it.

And THAT is why I think he’s got a good point.

• Erykaneisha February 26th, 2013 6:52 PM

WOW. This is beyond amazing! Lucky you, Amy Rose!
    <3 <3 <3 ~ENDLESS LOVE~

• Arabelle February 26th, 2013 6:57 PM

amy rose i am so happy ou got to interview him i know how much you love him! you asked rad questions.

i totally disagree with him on a lot of point though. i know he’s an idol or whatever but i came out wanting to gag lol

• Elle February 26th, 2013 9:27 PM

ya, he’s a brat and stuff. BUT, he is right about some things and I am in LOVE with him even though he says dumb stuff a lot.

• pinnedtothepage February 27th, 2013 3:39 PM

meee tooo! blech.

• Meagan February 26th, 2013 7:02 PM

AMY I AM SENDING YOU AN E-HIGH FIVE AS CONGRATULATIONS. LIFE ACHIEVEMENT: UNLOCKED.

• Greta February 26th, 2013 7:14 PM

So, I came home from school today and started my homework-procrastination process on Rookie as I do every day. Then I saw this article. I LITERALLY SCREAMED. That’s how excited I was to see Morrissey on here. He, The Smiths, and the culture surrounding them are basically my life (I am forever burdened with having the soul of an alternative teen from the 1980′s in the body of a 21st century teen). His words of TOTAL WISDOM about today’s arts, particularly music, diminishing are complete truth. Morrissey is my hero for so many reasons, and him saying things like this is one of them.

• Lauren Hartnett February 26th, 2013 7:18 PM

Oh wow. Amy Rose, if this interview didn’t make your life I don’t know what will.
    I’m convinced Moz and me have the same mind, only his is a little more polished off and much more listened to.
    My love for him and everything he stands for is seemingly infinite.

• rockwrenroll February 26th, 2013 7:20 PM

STILL SCREAMING.
    NEVER STOPPED SCREAMING.

• dumbpling February 26th, 2013 7:31 PM

This kind of made my life. Although, I completely disagree with the Justin Bieber/Beyonce criticism. I love Justin, and you can see the exact same urgency and love in beliebers. The level of idolization is basically the same. I don’t think you can just dismiss him as a bad musician, because 1. It’s pretty subjective and 2. Even if you don’t like his style of music, he has a beautiful voice. Different music has gotten me through different parts of my life; sometimes I need The Smiths or Joy Division or whatever, and sometimes I just need my JB and 1D.

Besides this, some of the self-deprecation and generalizations are a little off-putting. Like I get that it’s Morrissey, but still…

• Dick February 26th, 2013 7:31 PM

I don’t even know how to start. Once I read the title I literally started to scream out of joy, excitement, just every emotion inside! My sister had to tell me to shut up.
    The Smiths, Morrissey have saved my life more than once, recently too. His words have meant a great deal to me. He (and The Smiths) always have been there for me when I’ve struggled to be understood, loneliness, when I couldn’t relate to someone, etc. But he’s also been there when I needed a great dance (Charming Man, such a good song to dance too).
    2 years ago my parents bought me concert tickets for my birthday to see him live and when I saw him live NEVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE have I felt so connected to someone. The connection is indescribable. All I could say is that he warmed this old broken heart of mine.
    Many people claim that The Smiths, Morrissey are too depressing but I completely disagree (well a few songs are) but really he gives you a kind of hope that no one has ever given to me.
    What I also love about Moz is that he’s completely real. He writes, speaks, etc from the heart. He’s not synthetic like others. He even lets you jump on stage which I intend to someday.
    I’ve build shrines, covered my entire wall, drawn pictures of Moz. Bought t-shirts, records, CD’s, patches, stickers, buttons too! Even dissected his music based on my feelings.
    Moz will always be my favorite person in this whole entire planet. He has stolen a great piece of my heart like no one else.

VIVA LOS SMITHS!

PS: Just in advancement if this interview isn’t on Rookie Yearbook 2 I’m going to be pissed as fu*k. :)

• Sophii March 6th, 2013 2:36 PM

YES. This HAS to be in the next Rookie Yearbook. I’m so jealous that you saw him live. There are few things I wouldn’t do to get tickets when he next tours England. I can relate to you with the shrines/posters/picture drawing thing. Aha ;) it’s so cool that lots of people on this site seem to have the same level of devotion to Moz as I do because at school most people haven’t even heard of him which I find obscene especially as I live in England because in my opinion he is the best British musician ever and has definitely made history. I’d heard of Morrissey before I really got into his music which was not until early this year to be honest. I bought The Queen is Dead on vinyl a couple of weeks ago and haven’t stopped listening to it since. This is the 3rd comment I’ve left on this article. Oops…

• Dick March 13th, 2013 11:15 PM

My mom just bought my tickets today to see him in a month. I’m super stoked. The venue he’s playing at is much more intimate which means I may be able to jump on stage or get a handshake.

Also just a cool little fun fact. Part of his music video “My Love Life” was actually filmed down the street I live by.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah. I love MOZ!

Yay for both of us loving Morrissey.

• Dick February 26th, 2013 7:38 PM

PSS: How am I suppose to complete my homework after reading this?!!

• wanderluster66 February 26th, 2013 7:42 PM

<33333 ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou. ;*****

• autumnsweater February 26th, 2013 7:56 PM

so i love the smiths as an artistic entity but morrissey is kind of insufferable and all this unqualified adulation weirds me out

• sunshine February 26th, 2013 7:57 PM

i almost died when i saw this…so perfect!

• llamalina February 26th, 2013 8:06 PM

is this happening? did this actually happen? am i dead right now? am i dreaming? is this the real life? is this just fantasy? i just want to fall on the floor because omfg moz you are the perfect combination of wise and offensive and not giving a fuck and i can’t handle it omg

• clarekawaii February 26th, 2013 8:11 PM

I just stopped breathing for approximately 10.738 seconds when I read that title. The lack of air to my lungs is the only thing that stopped me from audibly screaming in the middle of my maths lesson.

• Melisa February 26th, 2013 8:43 PM

Doesn’t listen to his music but he seems UBER COOL.

Would be interesting to have a dialogue with him regarding his values and beliefs.

• minniemoreno February 26th, 2013 8:52 PM

morrissey is still the sassiest person ever and i absolutely love him. congratulations on the beautiful interview amy rose!
    xx

• Roux February 26th, 2013 8:52 PM

His words make everything make sense!
    I feel like we should all carry a bit of morrisey in our minds, but maybe then we’d all be a bit insane? (but if everyone’s insane, then the word insane will cease to have a meaning)

Oh this has become an angsty teen blogger comment, oops~

• Suzy X. February 26th, 2013 9:08 PM

Hahahaha Moz, what an adorable curmudgeon. Don’t take it out on Beyonce bb.

• Arabelle February 26th, 2013 9:20 PM

right? what a grump. luv his hair tho

• Kathryn February 27th, 2013 1:55 PM

1000% agree with you two heheh

• themisfitprincess February 26th, 2013 9:10 PM

ARGRARGAWD. MAWZZ

• Tambourelle February 26th, 2013 9:35 PM

AAAAAAHHHHHHH
    oh my- wow! wOW!!
    Morrissey, MORRISSEY!
    I-I-I I’m speachless.
    All I can say is thank you, thank you! For EVERYTHING!!
    aaaaaaaaaaahhhh
    I can’t even
    dnisapabvuoabvfh
    aaaaah
    I’m dying
    I’m dead.

• Morgan February 26th, 2013 9:48 PM

I almost didn’t believe the title, I thought it was figurative…
    AMY ROSE, as jealous as I may be at the moment, I am so excited for you. What a remarkable opportunity! You’re amazing. Rookie is amazing. Morrissey, Morrissey is amazing.

• cammy-poo February 26th, 2013 9:51 PM

SO brilliant! I had tickets to see him in Salt Lake but it’s been canceled twice and now I lost the ticket and the box office won’t respond to my e-mails AGH!

It’s true that most popular musicians today don’t really have anything to say other than “I wanna be really popular and make a lot of money!” which is too bad. :/

• Bianca February 26th, 2013 10:30 PM

Awesome questions Amy Rose! Nice work!

• Ozma February 26th, 2013 10:42 PM

Amy Rose, how on earth did you ever get this interview?!?!?!?!?! How?!?! I have dream’t of this day for ages!

I enjoyed his sly little Oscar Wilde reference. This wouldn’t be complete if Morrissey didn’t slip in some Oscar Wilde!

• koolkat February 26th, 2013 10:50 PM

i haven’t been on here in months, and then today I was all alone and super depressed and LISTENING TO THE SMITHS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MONTHS, and i check rookie on a spur and WHAT THE HELL GUYS ARE YOU FRIGGIN’ MIND READERS?!?!

• resonance February 26th, 2013 11:31 PM

And ah, yes, of course Beyonce offered nothing to the world in her Super Bowl performance by deliberately having an all-WOC band, giving jobs and visibility to those of us who aren’t white. Uh huh.

• Sue Denim February 26th, 2013 11:57 PM

No words.

• Acid-moon February 27th, 2013 12:30 AM

resonance, I disagree with you. I wasn’t even aware Beyonce HAD a band, much less what race they are, so their visibility obviously isn’t that great. Granted, I am neither a fan nor a hater of Beyonce, but honestly, hiring people to accompany her singing is part of her job as an entertainer, something most musicians do, for their own benefit more than their employees.

• clocksheep February 27th, 2013 12:40 AM

I love Morrissey’s music so much and really appreciate his existence, but please, never let me become him. Especially not at 50 years old.

• resonance February 27th, 2013 12:52 AM

All right, since I guess the original version of my comment about Morrissey was too rude to be approved: Morrissey does not believe in the humanity of all people, mostly just about people who he thinks treat animals well. What he said about the Chinese being a subspecies for their animal cruelty was racist and wrong, and I shouldn’t have to censor what I originally wrote. I am Chinese, my family is from China, and I have relatives who still live there. When he said that, he was talking about me and my family, too. He called a billion-plus people a SUBSPECIES. I’m sorry if you took my comment as a slight against him but seriously? If just about everyone else in the comments has the right to fangirl him, I have the right to call attention to the nasty things he’s said/done, too.

• Anaheed February 27th, 2013 1:11 AM

The reason I didn’t approve your original comment wasn’t that it was “rude” or a “slight against him” — there are plenty of anti-Morrissey comments on this page. The reason was that you accused Morrissey of saying something he did not say, and we can’t have false accusations and slander in our comments.

• rosiee February 27th, 2013 8:26 AM

Is this in reference to his subspecies comment? Is there a reputable source showing he did not say this? I am trying to find something and I can only find confirmation that he did.

• Anaheed February 27th, 2013 4:11 PM

Yes, it was in reference to that, but it was taken out of context in a way that was misleading. Obviously we are approving comments that reference that quote left and right, including yours, right now.

• Jasmine February 27th, 2013 2:41 AM

UGHSDHUHSUDHFSHFBHKSK I CAN’T BELIEVE ROOKIE GOT MOZ. I’M SO HAPPY FOR YOU, AMY ROSE OMFFFFFGGG

I DIED A MILLION TIMES.

…Okay, that had to be said. Although Morrissey might’ve offended some people, I agree with someone earlier that said, “Isn’t that the point of being Morrissey? Fucking with people a bit.” You might not agree with his opinions but you have to give him props for owning his beliefs 100% no matter how different they might be.

“The arts have diminished, because we are now living through a time when we are encouraged not to think. No one making music wants to waste time struggling with art.”
    (Damn it, this is so accurate and I just wish I could marry him, please?)

Morrissey, you are an incredible artist. Thank you for your music, which has saved so many lives, including my own.

• Miarele February 27th, 2013 5:52 AM

When I read this, I wanted to cry. I quite like The Smiths, I have only listened to a few of their songs so clearly I don’t worship him or something (or maybe not yet). Still, something about this interview touched me in a way that is different from others. I feel that he articulates these thoughts, these very controversial thoughts, so beautifully. He is not afraid to put it out there and it just feels like everything you’ve always wanted to say but never find the words or the courage to.

I love what bird, the commenter above, say: “Isn’t that the point of being Morrissey? Fucking with people a bit.” I understand that many people would feel offended, and I think he’s actually AWARE that people would feel offended, yet he doesn’t shy away or tone down anything just so he could meet what people expect a public figure — a celebrity, if you must — say. And I deeply admire him for it.

Great questions, even greater answers. Props for Rookie, keep up the honest, high quality interviews!

• Miarele February 27th, 2013 6:25 AM

Also: “War, I thought, was the most negative aspect of male heterosexuality.”
    As a student of international relations, I have to say this statement holds water. In the feminist perspective of national security, for instance, there are concepts about the political man, the male citizenship, the warrior hero, etc. which basically revolves around the central idea that states are masculine entities and war between those states are, consequentially, war of men. These men are encouraged to the idea of being the perfect patriotic citizen means accepting heterosexual, patriarchy values and reject feminine ones. Some political thinkers even thought of war as proving those values since war means dominating others’ masculinity.

Someone above also mentioned genocide. Sometimes, gender DOES have a role in these genocides. In some wars (ex: war in the former Yugoslavia), rape and genocide against women is seen as a weapon of war. Women are defined as “what should be protected” by men & the state so they have no control of their own security. Therefore, these violence against women are seen as symbol triumph, since it means that the enemy cannot protect what it should protect. Once again, it proves domination, proves that the enemy is less masculine than you are.

Sorry for being too long, that one statement is just very interesting and relatable to what I’m studying. I feel that patriarchy values, especially what it means to be a heterosexual masculine man, DOES have an influence on how war & violence are conducted. I’d love to have a discussion on this though, further thoughts anyone?

• lxmldrt February 27th, 2013 8:06 AM

This concepts are so interesting. And it’s cruel that they can be still plausible in this world!

• saramarit February 27th, 2013 6:28 AM

To be clear Morrisey did say “you can’t help but feel the Chinese are a sub-species” as a reaction to their treatment of animals.

His cruel and willfully ignorant statements completely undermine his arguement for peace and cruelty free living.

• Tyknos93 February 27th, 2013 6:29 AM

• cloudinthesky February 27th, 2013 7:28 AM

OH MY GOD when I read interview with morrissey I couldn’t believe it!!!!!
    Amy Rose I’m so happy for you, such a great thing!
    Thank you thank you thank you for this wonderful interview <3

• Acid-moon February 27th, 2013 7:37 AM

I completely disagree with his theory about war. The Theban army had an entire separate unit for homosexual men. In fact, there are people who believe Alexander the great was gay, or at least bisexual. I don’t believe gay men are any less prone to war than straight ones. And as for women, what about the Russian battalion of death during world war two? That is only one example, and not a very good one, but there have always been exceptions throughout history. There was Joan of arc, Boudicca, Cut Nyak Dhien, and so forth. I do believe wars would be far less numerous if only women inhabited the earth, but not nonexistent.

• Lea February 27th, 2013 8:21 AM

Yep totally true about the men part. In Ancient Greece, male homosexuality was a trait of society and that didn’t stop the Greeks from having an exceptionally effective army to expand their country. In fact you could say that homosexuality was a sign of manliness for them!
      About Alexander the Great, it’s highly probable but we shouldn’t even be thinking about it in gay/straight terms because in the Antiquity, sexual orientation wasn’t as defined as it is today. People kind of went with the flow, which is very visible in Greek/Roman literature.

So yeah the least you could say about Morissey’s theory is that it is quite unusual.

• Teez February 27th, 2013 10:28 AM

oh, nice to have a douchebag check-in from morrissey, sometimes when i haven’t heard from him in a while i begin to think he may have become an actual likeable person.

• victorianera February 27th, 2013 10:48 AM

This is so crazy! I read the interview this morning and right now I just saw Rookie was mentioned in a major newspaper in Brazil because of this interview! I still can’t believe it got this far.
    The headline reads “‘There wouldn’t be wars if more men were homosexual’”, says Morrissey”.

• ilovethedoors February 27th, 2013 10:53 AM

Aw I think it’s amazing that he agreed to the interview, but i don’t think he makes much sense and his answers are quite annoying. The questions on the other hand are really interesting!

• wallflower152 February 27th, 2013 11:07 AM

First of all, awesome that Rookie was able to score an interview with MORRISSEY! I have always been a fan of his most famous songs but am just now beginning to listening to his albums and I love them and I look forward to slowly consuming his entire discography.

Second of all, yeah I found some of the things he said pretty offensive. The reason women do not kill each other in wars isn’t because they aren’t “masculine” enough but because women aren’t allowed to fight in wars. That is the case for most countries of the world in 2013 and for most part of history women weren’t allowed in the military at all. Just LAST MONTH in AMERICA the ban was lifted on women fighting in frontline combat. I mean, have you never watched “Snapped” Moz? Haha. And that statement was offensive to homosexual men as well, it was based on the stereotype of gay men being “feminine.” And frankly it’s offensive to heterosexual men as well, not all men are macho dude bros who need to prove their manliness and thank God for that.

Third of all, I think we need to take what Moz says with a grain of salt. He is a writer and by nature everything he says is going to be exaggerated and dramatic. And idk about you but if I was idolized for 30 I might be on a bit of a high horse too, so I think Morrissey is a good guy at heart, he must be for all he has given us.

• AnaRuiz February 27th, 2013 11:19 AM

Why is everyone focusing on the war bit when there is so much more in the article that is bullshit? I mean, I love The Smiths, but, seriously, I think Morrisey has gotten fame to his head and doesn’t realize that actual people with true feelings read and take his thoughts as from a role model. That’s self centered.

And I know that Rookie had to publish this, because, gosh, it’s an INTERVIEW WITH MORRISEY, but still, I wish you just hadn’t.

• LuneSirene February 28th, 2013 1:47 PM

I too wish it hadn’t been published in a way, because there’s so much negativity. However, it’d be like lying to the readers if they didn’t. It’s actually interesting to read the responses from these people.

• saramarit February 27th, 2013 11:42 AM

To be honest I’m more annoyed with Rookie for publishing these statement without comment than at Morrisey for saying them. It seems hypocritical for the people who run and read this site to say that racism and sexism are sometimes ok.

Saying that heterosexual men love killing other men is disgusting to me.

• Anaheed February 27th, 2013 4:03 PM

Interviewees often say things that the site’s editors and/or staff don’t agree with (and we as a staff don’t agree on everything with one another, either). I don’t think that we need to comment on those things or distance ourselves from them: I don’t think either Morrissey, to take this example, or our readers need to be protected from his opinions. I trust that our readers are capable of critical thought, of making up their own minds and holding their own opinions—as you all have proven in this comments section.

• kati February 27th, 2013 2:04 PM

AASFBHWKSAFSEKUAVABGSGBNSLRTG
    I’M DYING

I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS
    MORRISSEY AND ROOKIE TOGETHER!!!

PLEEEEEASE COME BACK TO CHILEEEE

• Esme February 27th, 2013 2:06 PM

ahhhhh omgggggg

• Alice In Wonderland February 27th, 2013 3:58 PM

no words. just know that i am incredibly undescribably outrageously perfectly amazingly blown away
    thankyou so much for this

• Annabelle123 February 27th, 2013 4:44 PM

First of all, I want to say great job to Amy Rose; you did an awesome job with the interview and it’s really exciting you got to interview someone who you and other rookie readers obviously like so much!
    That said, I have to say almost everything he said was infuriating, and basically the opposite of what i believe. Not only was he sexist and hated on Beyonce (my girl), but this bothered me because he is SO incredibly self centered, pessimistic, and conceited. How can people think he’s wise? If life sucks so much, then what is the point of living? I don’t think I’m “alone” or that life is all pain. I don’t care if it’s not cool to be satisfied or motivated in life, or if my ideas suggest that I’m just ignorant, not happy. I understand that he has created amazing art and music, and I think it’s great that this has came out of any negativity which people can relate to sometimes. However, I think he’s presenting the idea that life is pain and he’s misunderstood as an excuse for self- absorbed ideas and behavior.

• pippilotta February 27th, 2013 6:10 PM

I hate it when people I admire turn out to be assholes.
    Amy Rose did a great job with the interview though!

• teenager February 27th, 2013 6:32 PM

OOOOOOH MMMMYYYY GOD.

• Caden February 27th, 2013 7:25 PM

love love love love love love!!!!!

• soretudaaa February 28th, 2013 11:17 AM

GUYS THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT LOOK WHAT ONLINE MAGAZINE IS USED AS A SOURCE IN THIS LOCAL NEWSPAPER OF CORDOBA, ARGENTINA:

SEE? SEE? SEE?? I TOTALLY LOST IT WHEN I READ IT THIS MORNING WHILE EATING MY TOAST.

• LuneSirene February 28th, 2013 1:44 PM

He’s definitely not a particularly pleasant or nice guy. His attitude reminds me of Clementine from Eternal Sunshine. Seems as though he both likes, and hates being loved and worshiped. He’s pretty conceited and his spiel about companies not really caring about the health of others is funny. He doesn’t seem to have high regard for other people unless they don’t eat meat and are just like him. I figured I wouldn’t like this interview. I rarely read interviews where an icon or someone famous I like turns out to be worth all the fuss.

• brendamado March 1st, 2013 6:58 AM

HATING ON QUEEN BEE IS SO NOT OKAY. and as a girl and a feminist, i can say that she will always have so much to offer to me and no one can take that away from me.

• Annie Dill March 1st, 2013 3:28 PM

I <3 Rookie! As a friend of mine pointed out, Morrissey interviews are notoriously difficult for most people to do (whereas, so they say, Robert Smith from the Cure is one of the "easiest" in terms of struggling on the part of the interviewer).

Rookie, and Amy, you did a BANG UP JOB! Love this.

• Meilia Picquet March 2nd, 2013 11:12 AM

For some reason this made me really sad… I love Morrissey and the Smiths but he’s so dark. I think it’s beautiful and depressing mostly because of the truth.

• Sea goddess March 3rd, 2013 10:40 AM

ahhhhhhh I just simply love him so much

• Masha H March 4th, 2013 8:27 AM

This. is. amazing.

• Sophii March 6th, 2013 12:19 PM

Oh my goodness. This is too perfect. I can’t even. I came here from the latest ‘just wondering’ post when I saw the link to Morrissey and I was like ‘yes.’ It’s weird because I actually had a dream last night that I went to a Morrissey concert and I reached out to him and he held my hand. I’ve seen some of these quotes floating round the internet over the past few days and I had no idea that it had come from Rookie. It’s like my 2 favourite things coming together. I love Moz so, so much. It’s amazing that he agreed to do an interview with Rookie because I think he stands for a lot of the same things as this website does. Everything he says is so profound and poetic and so grittily true. I don’t want to stop writing this comment because there’s so much I want to say and I’m a super fan but I think I should stop the rambling now. OK? Bye x

• Sophii March 6th, 2013 2:51 PM

Um, OK. This is my fourth comment so I feel like a bit of a weirdo but I just have something else that I would like to add. Some people are commenting saying that Morrissey is sexist for sort of gender stereotyping by saying that heterosexual men are more likely to start wars but I do not think that Morrissey is sexist. He’s always been interested in the roles of different genders in society and was pretty big on feminism in his teens and twenties. I don’t know, it’s just something about him that I think might make the Rookies that dislike him like him a bit more. I hate to sound like a know it all super fan but I’m reading a book about him at the moment and it has quite a lot about that part of his life in it.

Lastly, I love how I can come on this site and find so many people that feel the same as I do about how they feel connected to Moz and like they really understand him. I’d like to talk to some of you guys some time maybe.

• reckless-serenade March 7th, 2013 5:32 PM

beautiful

• rowantree March 12th, 2013 4:08 PM

Is it just me, or did he seem like kind of a jerk? For one thing, he didn’t actually answer some of the questions, he just sort of went off on a tangent. And then in the last one, his answer was almost…rude? Same with the Beyonce and Justin Bieber comment. And he mentioned the Grammies more than once… Hmmm. Maybe he’s just tortured, and tortured people don’t have to be nice.

• meels March 20th, 2013 4:37 AM

Holy shit!!! Who arranged this!!?? They are amazing!!

• Emilyis May 2nd, 2013 12:03 AM

Maybe he just has an opinion some people do not like. Doesn’t make it more right or wrong. Well done I adore Morrissey.