Dear Diary

February 13, 2013

People are strange.

Britney

Lately I have been writing letters to Sylvia Plath. She’s my favorite poet and one of my favorite authors, and I’ve felt close to her in the past couple of weeks. Everything seems to be going well for me, yet simultaneously working against me. All happiness feels temporary, easily removed like a Band-Aid being ripped off. To be human is one of the best and worst things in the universe. Sylvia Plath understood that.

This week while everyone else celebrates Valentine’s Day, my least favorite holiday, when romance is forced upon the world with generic cards and roses that immediately die, I’ll be paying my respects to Sylvia. On February 11, the anniversary of the day she committed suicide, I plan only to read her poems and write letters to her. It’s the least I could do after all that she’s done for me. ♦

1 2 3 4 5

• whatever February 13th, 2013 7:09 PM

These diaries are always so insightful and lovely.

Rabbitandthewomp.blogspot.com

• Ms.O February 13th, 2013 7:30 PM

I think it’s great that you are mourning/celebrating the existence of Sylvia Plath, especially in the way of writing letters <3

• sarahf February 13th, 2013 7:41 PM

everything katherine writes resonates with me

• clairedh February 13th, 2013 7:51 PM

Naomi, I completely know how you feel. You described it so well. Going back to nature when you are feeling down always helps me too.
    And Britney, writing letters to Sylvia Plath is such a good idea. I may even steal the idea and write letters to my idol/spirit guide Anais Nin.
    I always love reading the diaries. They are always so honest and reeeal (and secretly (not anymore) wish I got to submit my own entries..).

• Britney February 13th, 2013 9:29 PM

I love Anais Nin! Go for it!

• Eryn February 13th, 2013 8:34 PM

BRITNEY <3 I relate.

• Britney February 13th, 2013 10:44 PM

Hey there, fellow Sylvia admirer! <3

• jane alice February 13th, 2013 8:54 PM

So honest and poignant. I am constantly impressed and comforted by these diary entries.

• graciegracie February 13th, 2013 9:54 PM

Katherine, I feel like you are describing my life every week. I absolutely hate going to a busy dining hall, I’ve started eating lunch really early or late so that I can sit alone in peace! Sometimes I feel like I’m doing college all wrong, because I’m not connecting with people here. I’m really involved on campus, but I don’t feel like I’ve found my niche. It’s nice to know that someone else is going through the same things!

• hedgehogurll February 13th, 2013 10:18 PM

WHERE DID NANDI GO???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• taste test February 13th, 2013 10:40 PM

katherine, your entries continue to describe my life. a few days ago I was eating lunch alone and someone I know saw me and came and sat next to me. it was nice of them but I really did want to talk. so I said I had to go and fucking walked to another cafeteria and got more food and finished lunch alone there. Great Moments in Reclusiveness

britney, that is such a good idea. maybe I should start writing letters to… I don’t know who. probably someone in one of the punk bands I listen to feel more powerful. maybe it would help me stop caring so much about what other people think that I do shit like hide from people who might be my friend if I’d give them more of a chance.

• barbroxursox February 13th, 2013 10:56 PM

@Britney, I’m reading The Bell Jar right now and I’m loving it! I need to read some of her poems. I’m going on a (mini) road trip this weekend so maybe I will write to her then too.

• Caitlin H. February 14th, 2013 9:21 AM

“People were pressed together like slices of cheese separated by the thin wax paper of their clothing” OMG yes Katherine

• Lizmaster3000 February 17th, 2013 7:16 PM

Katherine… Dude I feel the same. I don’t really connect with anyone at college. It makes me lonely and upset and anxious and unsure of myself.