Dear Diary

February 13, 2013

People are strange.

Ruby

There was a terrible blizzard on Friday. The air was sharp like broken glass. Trees cracked and lights flickered. The streets were quiet, because it was deemed unsafe to go outdoors, and it was freezing.

Then the power went out in our house. After that, time moved incredibly slowly. Within a couple of hours all our phones and laptops were dead, and it was dark, and there was no heat.

My family slept by the fireplace with blankets and the dogs to keep warm, while I slept in my bed upstairs (privacy > warmth). Everyone woke up at dawn to the sound of a plow halfheartedly moving most of the snow off of the street, only to check later and see that it was still several feet high (two, maybe three? I don’t know).

Finally, when the streets were drivable, we took the trip to my grandfather Bumpa’s house. My siblings and I stayed there, while my dad went home to be with the dogs.

Bumpa decided to give my little brother pizza, Trix, Froot Loops, and mini doughnuts for dinner. He went WILD. He stayed up late bouncing off the walls, and was totally grumpy the next morning. Little kids crash harder than anyone after a long night of sugar-binging.

When we went home, I watched my siblings play Battleship, and then we all just kind of sat around. I never thought I would say this, but I miss civilization. Thank goodness our power finally came back on. ♦

1 2 3 4 5

• whatever February 13th, 2013 7:09 PM

These diaries are always so insightful and lovely.

Rabbitandthewomp.blogspot.com

• Ms.O February 13th, 2013 7:30 PM

I think it’s great that you are mourning/celebrating the existence of Sylvia Plath, especially in the way of writing letters <3

• sarahf February 13th, 2013 7:41 PM

everything katherine writes resonates with me

• clairedh February 13th, 2013 7:51 PM

Naomi, I completely know how you feel. You described it so well. Going back to nature when you are feeling down always helps me too.
    And Britney, writing letters to Sylvia Plath is such a good idea. I may even steal the idea and write letters to my idol/spirit guide Anais Nin.
    I always love reading the diaries. They are always so honest and reeeal (and secretly (not anymore) wish I got to submit my own entries..).

• Britney February 13th, 2013 9:29 PM

I love Anais Nin! Go for it!

• Eryn February 13th, 2013 8:34 PM

BRITNEY <3 I relate.

• Britney February 13th, 2013 10:44 PM

Hey there, fellow Sylvia admirer! <3

• jane alice February 13th, 2013 8:54 PM

So honest and poignant. I am constantly impressed and comforted by these diary entries.

• graciegracie February 13th, 2013 9:54 PM

Katherine, I feel like you are describing my life every week. I absolutely hate going to a busy dining hall, I’ve started eating lunch really early or late so that I can sit alone in peace! Sometimes I feel like I’m doing college all wrong, because I’m not connecting with people here. I’m really involved on campus, but I don’t feel like I’ve found my niche. It’s nice to know that someone else is going through the same things!

• hedgehogurll February 13th, 2013 10:18 PM

WHERE DID NANDI GO???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• taste test February 13th, 2013 10:40 PM

katherine, your entries continue to describe my life. a few days ago I was eating lunch alone and someone I know saw me and came and sat next to me. it was nice of them but I really did want to talk. so I said I had to go and fucking walked to another cafeteria and got more food and finished lunch alone there. Great Moments in Reclusiveness

britney, that is such a good idea. maybe I should start writing letters to… I don’t know who. probably someone in one of the punk bands I listen to feel more powerful. maybe it would help me stop caring so much about what other people think that I do shit like hide from people who might be my friend if I’d give them more of a chance.

• barbroxursox February 13th, 2013 10:56 PM

@Britney, I’m reading The Bell Jar right now and I’m loving it! I need to read some of her poems. I’m going on a (mini) road trip this weekend so maybe I will write to her then too.

• Caitlin H. February 14th, 2013 9:21 AM

“People were pressed together like slices of cheese separated by the thin wax paper of their clothing” OMG yes Katherine

• Lizmaster3000 February 17th, 2013 7:16 PM

Katherine… Dude I feel the same. I don’t really connect with anyone at college. It makes me lonely and upset and anxious and unsure of myself.