Everything else

Saturday Links: Sugar and Spice Edition

Willow Smith, One Direction, giant squid, and way way more.

Hazel

When I saw this V magazine editorial featuring teenage girls and pipe-cleaner-and-trinket-adorned tiaras, I could only think one thing: Rookie, duh. I want to wear every single one on my head at the SAME TIME.

Bleached, who played suuuch an awesome show at Rookie’s Strange Magic Prom, has released a new song from their forthcoming LP Ride Your Heart Out, now set for an April release. I love this band, and if they ever swing by your town you HAVE to see them in action.

Naomi
Stephen Rodrick’s piece about the making of The Canyons, the new film written by novelist Bret Easton Ellis and starring Lindsay Lohan, is well worth the long read. The piece is kind of sad but ridiculously compelling at the same time, and way more satisfying than the endless TMZ newsflashes about Lindsay’s misdeeds.

From this mysterious video he posted this week, I’m going to guess that Justin Timberlake has made some new music! I’M SO READY, JUSTIN.

Stephanie
Since I’m a big Chicago Blackhawks hockey fan who spent the past three months bored and frustrated without any games to watch, my biggest thrill of the week was the announcement that the NHL Players’ Association had FINALLY reached an agreement on contract terms that would end this insanely long lockout. I’m SO looking forward to watching my beloved Hawks play once again.

Caitlin

This week my hero David Bowie turned 66, released a new song after a 10 year silence, AND announced that he’d release a new album in March! I’m really not sure what I think about this new song, “Where Are We Now?”–I don’t think I’ll ever love anything as much as the old stuff. But he will always be incredible in my eyes. I’m particularly impressed that in this era of constant internet leaking, he managed to keep his plans secret until the actual release date. It’s just more proof that he is in fact a beautiful alien from another world.

Bianca

I’ve been a dance nut for a while–I used to make up dance routines in my backyard, make tickets, and charge each family member a dollar to watch my performance. This week I stumbled upon an announcement that made my heart sing: The New York City Ballet has teamed up with contemporary artists for the NYCB Art Series, which will feature original visual artworks inspired by the company’s dancers. The first collaboration is with the Brooklyn-based art collective FAILE, and it looks divine! Audience members at the special exhibition performances on Friday, February 1, and Wednesday, May 29, will receive a limited-edition artwork made especially for the event. How cool that you can walk away with a piece of the show itself! I so wish I could go to this. Darn you, 9622.57 miles between Australia (where I live) and NYC!

Growing up, Riot Grrrl meant a whole lot to me. So of course I loved that The Guardian republished a classic feature from now-defunct magazine Melody Maker on the 1993 British tour of Riot Grrrl bands Bikini Kill and Huggy Bear.

Emma S.

I could write a book about boy bands. Sure, they are overly manufactured and cheesy, with cracking voices and inevitable breakups looming on the horizon. But that doesn’t take into account the magic– yes, magic–of a group of pretty boys singing about kissing. This new One Direction video is amazing for many reasons (their weedy frames and bare chests, their ski pants, their goofiness), but what I like most of all is that they are clearly having a blast. When Zayn kisses his fellow One Directioneer on the cheek at the end, it seems like he is showing genuine affection, not to mention making explicit the homoeroticism that has always been the bread and butter of bands like this. Two thumbs up from this dirty old lady.

Rose
I think we can all agree that mysterious deep-sea creatures are Literally the Best Thing Ever. This week there was some very important news from the world under the waves: marine biologists have finally recorded video of the heretofore undocumented giant squid. For now we only have some beautiful (and kinda terrifying) still pictures of its iridescent face; the actual footage will air as part of the Discovery Channel’s show Monster Squid: The Giant Is Real on January 27th. I can’t wait to finally lay eyes on the magnificent Kraken!

I LOL’d reading about how programmers tried to teach IBM’s Jeopardy-winning artificial intelligence system Watson how to use colloquial language by inputting the whole of the internet’s Urban Dictionary. It was a good idea in theory, but in practice, the damn computer couldn’t tell the difference between the profane and the polite. After Watson started answering “bullshit” to researchers’ questions, they had to delete all those swear words from its database. Someone needs to make a Sassy Watson Twitter account STAT.

Joe

“Whip My Hair” is a good song (don’t let anyone tell you otherwise), a great video, and the best sentiment, but Willow Smith is a little bit older now. This week she released a song called “Sugar and Spice,” which samples Radiohead’s “Codex” and includes melancholy lyrics such as “inject my soul with darkness” and “the past is like a tear-stain.” It’s beautiful and pairs perfectly with her constantly updated Tumblr saule pleurant (translation: weeping willow), a scroll of silly gifs, selfies, and some revealing dispatches about school, braces, and parents. Willow, who is 12, is a child of celebrities, but she’s still got regular kid problems (and really great taste).

Jamia
This month, Zooey Deschanel responded to her haters in Glamour: “I want to be an f***ing feminist and wear a f***ing Peter Pan collar. So f***ing what.” In response, The Cut ran a snarky piece acknowledging Zooey’s declaration of gender solidarity while expressing frustration with what they deemed her “self-infantilizing” femininity. The Cut’s words got under my skin, and I started thinking about how I sometimes feel like I am not a good enough feminist, like when I’m mindlessly grooving to the despicable Chris Brown at a party or when I find myself genuinely enjoying an America’s Next Top Model marathon on TV. When I read Amanda Hess’s defense of Zooey on XX Factor, I realized how cool it is that the actress embraces feminism on her own polka-dot-wearing indie ingénue terms. Thank you, Amanda Hess, for reminding me to check myself next time I get caught up policing other people–or myself.

Britney
Eva from the blog Style Wandering has created two amazing new websites: The Wandering Collective and Teenage Diary. The former collects art, photography, poetry, articles, diaries, collages, etc. by teenage feminists, while the latter is basically the diary version of Teenage Bedroom—it features great journal pages and letters, letting us in on little private pieces of other people’s lives.

Tavi
THIS TAYLOR SWIFT/JACKSON 5 MASHUP IS GLORIOUS. Amy Rose sent it to me and I’ve been playing it nonstop. Taylor’s live acoustic cover of “I Want You Back” is also great, FWIW.

Suzy
Behold, Arrested Misérables, aka Les Miserabluths: Arrested Development and Les Misérables join together in corn-hole-y matrimony. This genius blog combines screenshots of the 2012 hit film with some uncannily fitting quotes courtesy of the Family Bluth. Tobias Fünke himself couldn’t have made a better match.

Rachael

I can’t get over this video (posted this week on Godtube). Some guy singing alone on a stage, OK, whatever…wait, is that a baby? It is, it’s a baby, wandering out on onto the stage to hug his daddy! Aww. And now the baby is dancing! And now this is The Baby Show, and Baby knows it. He wanders off for a bit, but he keeps coming back for more. For as long as there is music, Baby is going to dance. And then suddenly there are these people wearing what appear to be cereal boxes…and it’s all too much.

Anaheed

Frida Kahlo’s closet was just opened for the first time since her death in 1954, and its glorious contents put on display at the Frida Kahlo Museum in Mexico City. You can look at some of Kahlo’s incredible Tehuana dresses and strangely beautiful orthopedic corsets in the video above, in which Circe Henestrosa, the exhibition’s curator, explains that because the museum is too small to show everything at once, they’ll replace the clothes and jewelry on display in five months–in other words Kahlo owned enough clothes to fill TWO museums! You can read more about Kahlo’s closet, and the exhibition, here.

On Tuesday the public-radio station WNYC aired this brilliant piece about slut-shaming by 16-year-old Temitayo Fagbenle as part of the Radio Rookies program (press the play button at the top of the page to listen to the story). Temitayo’s interviews are incredibly honest and nuanced: with a classmate whose boyfriend posted an explicit video of her on the internet, which then got HER in trouble at school; with a group of teenage girls who are mostly unsympathetic to the victims of such cyberbullying (one of them says, “Girls do it to themselves—half the time we can’t even blame guys”); and, most heartbreaking/nauseating of all, with a friend of hers, a boy who went to jail a few years back for emailing a topless picture of his girlfriend to his friends and who is totally unremorseful about it.

OMG IT’S A NEW “OH HELLO”!!! I have spent the past four years pining for more of the adventures of BFFs Gil Faizon and George St. Geegland, two 50-something Alan Alda–worshipping Upper West Side divorcés (played in the way-too-short-lived web series by Nick Kroll and John Mulaney). To promote Kroll Show, which premieres this Wednesday night, Comedy Central just released this video, a clip from Gil and George’s new prank show, “Too Much Tuna.” PLEASE let this be a regular segment—I have missed those dudes so much. ♦

• asylum January 12th, 2013 12:35 PM

I love those tiaras. And oh my God, I heard David Bowie’s new song! I don’t think I like it as much as I like his old stuff, but I love it just because its him. And yes, is it wrong One Direction simply because of their good looks?

• GlitterKitty January 12th, 2013 1:07 PM

I think this has been the best Saturday links ever. A+ to everyone especially the giant squid.

• AliceinWonderland January 12th, 2013 1:58 PM

The Kiss You music video is so amazing! I think the main reason I like it is because its brings me back to the young five goofball teenage boys that I first fell in love with. There are no random girl love interests, just the five boys letting loose having a blast.

Plus, they’re shirtless.

• Eryn January 12th, 2013 2:37 PM

Ah! Those tiaras are fantastic, and I love Bleached’s new song. And Frida’s closet!!! Ahhh!!!!
    (also, I’m really excited to be a contributor to The Wandering Collective, along with Britney, and everyong should go check it out, like, now.)

• disast3rology January 12th, 2013 2:56 PM

I got over my One Direction phase like, 8 months ago, and for a while, I thought I had to hate 1D and anything involving them, since I wasn’t a “”"directioner”"” anymore. Then, that beautiful video came out, and I realized that I can listen/watch ANYTHING I want to. So, excuse me while I go play Kiss You on repeat for the next few months.

• Mary the freak January 12th, 2013 3:02 PM

BEST LINK EDITION EVER IN MY LIFE OH GOOOD!
    David Bowie (lovelovelove him!), pipe cleaner crowns, and frida kahlo in one article?! THIS IS KILLING ME AND OH I JUST COLLAPSED TOO MUCH PERFECTION I LOVE IT ARRRRGH! ROOKIE I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

• jesus_chan January 12th, 2013 4:21 PM

KISS YOU MAKES ME SO HAPPY :3

I love One Direction, and am glad to see that I am not the only one that appreciates their music/sassiness/homoerotic subtext!

• Ms.O January 12th, 2013 4:33 PM

I want (you know I mean need) to make those crowns! That’s a great idea, plus it will make my collection of crowns much larger.

Also, since I went home from school sick on Tuesday, I got to hear a lot of the slut-shaming piece and it was stellar. The (Rookie, it’s called) reporter was so calm and well-spoken and I totally admired her. I thought that piece was just amazing.

• lyssagrltx January 12th, 2013 4:49 PM

I dress like Zooey Deshannel and I’m a Feminist. I wear skirts at least 60% of the time along with polka dots. The only thing I asked for, for Hanukkah was a pair of saddle shoes. I like to express myself by the way I dress. What’s wrong with that?

• RaineFall January 12th, 2013 5:18 PM

Thank you for the Zooey Deschanel piece, Jamia. I have been compared to her several times but I have always found it a compliment. That’s because she tries to truly be herself. What feminism means to me is that I believe men and women should be equal, and if we live in a society which oppresses women in any sort of way, that isn’t cool. That includes women who like peter pan collars, like kittens and wear skirts. Equality begins with women seeing each other equally and stop judging. If I want to wear polka dots and it’s not hurting anybody else, then that’s what I’m going to do.
    So I will wear polka dots. If I want to listen to Taylor Swift, I’ll listen to Taylor Swift. And like Taylor Swift. That doesn’t mean I don’t believe that women are less equal to men, nor do I believe that I’m sending out that message. I definitely don’t believe women should respect me less for it.
    Rock on Zooey Deschanel!

• LouderBlues January 12th, 2013 6:34 PM

I didn’t even knew those “exposing hoes” facebook pages existed! How can people do that like it’s some kind of hobby?

That’s the worst -.-

• HollinsCollins January 12th, 2013 6:46 PM

I KIND OF LOVE WILLOW SMITH.

• Dick January 12th, 2013 8:36 PM

Hazel – Wear these tiaras/crowns while listening to Bleached!

Caitlin – I was in my Bioethics class (wearing my Bowie button, shirt and, socks) and I read online about this all I could think of was tweeting this to you but my school blocked Twitter. :(

Bianca – I have a friend who is a ballerina and she’s an incredible dancer and inspiration. Not too long along during English + History class she was schooling me on ballet. Defiantly showing her this! I want to take a piece of artwork with me! What a collaboration this is. :)

Anaheed – Frida was (and still is) my muse in 7th grade. Freshman year I was telling my classmates about how much I love Frida and my physic + math teacher heard me and came over and told me how he went to her museum and bought loads of stuff the next day he GAVE ME bookmarks, pictures and, other stuff from when he went.

I love today’s Saturday Links.

• Dick January 12th, 2013 8:37 PM

Britney – Teenage Diary!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!

• ruby January 13th, 2013 1:06 AM

The Dancing Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• llamalina January 13th, 2013 1:07 AM

those tiaras are the actual greatest thing ever.

i read the piece about “the canyons” from front to back. it sounds like a nightmare to film, and from the trailer, it didn’t seem worth the trouble. but that was a great piece.

okay, i’m not a one direction fan, but that song and the video is cute. and i’m not sure how i feel about willow smith quite yet, but the song is gorgeous.

the articles about zooey deschanel made me angrier than i expected. isn’t feminism about being in control of your own body and your own life as a woman? the cut’s article just made me so mad. what does the fact that zooey likes to wear /saddle shoes/ have ANYTHING to do with the fact that she considers herself a feminist? even the second article made me a little peeved. i feel like the author didn’t hate zooey deschanel- she really hated summer finn- which is pretty much the point of the whole movie- and just got really confused along the way. zooey deschanel is a fucking feminist and the way she dresses should not have anything to do with that.

• I.ila January 13th, 2013 8:40 AM

Yay radio rookies! We actually discussed that in English class. We also listened to another one on stop and frisk that was good.

• littleredradio January 13th, 2013 10:12 AM

i love Willow Smith, she seems a really cool and talented kid.

Really enjoyed that article about Zooey and Feminism.

• babyybat January 13th, 2013 11:09 AM

Willow Smith. On Rookie. Would be frickin awesome.

• Kathryn January 13th, 2013 11:44 AM

Such a great line up of links this week. I love them all! Especially excited to watch the Discovery show about the giant squid!

And it’s weird that you mention that Watson robot, because I just watched “Neil de Grasse Tyson’s Nova Science Now: How Does The Brain Work?” on instant netflix the other night and they had a little segment about Watson.

I never really understood why people shun 500 Days of Summer, because isn’t the point that he kinda thinks she’s a MPDG, but then in the end she’s not there to make him happy? I mean, I’m not talking about the quality of the movie, and maybe I’m reading too much into it— I went through a Zooey Deschanel phase once and loved that movie but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it now. But if I remember correctly, she keeps telling him she’s not interested in a serious relationship, but he’s too distracted by the fact that they like a lot of the same things and how twirly her dresses are to really listen to her. And then in the end (um spoiler I guess) she marries another guy and is all “um tom i told you we weren’t serious.” And then he’s all “noooo you bitch!” and then he meets another girl-THE END! WILL HE LEARN??? we may never knowwwwwwwwww

• Kathryn January 13th, 2013 11:53 AM

Well, I mean, I think she seems like a manic pixie dream girl in the beginning, but the whole movie is through the eyes of Tom. And she’s always kind of detached but he doesn’t really seem to notice / know why. (IT’S ALL COMING BACK TO ME NOW.) So then when she breaks it off he totally doesn’t see it coming because he thinks they are so happy together and having such fun yelling “PENIS” in the park, but he wasn’t really paying attention to HER ~feelings~ and she actually wasn’t there just to make him happy, and she broke it off because she wasn’t really feelin’ it as much as he was. SO I don’t know if this warrants a huge discussion, but I just kinda think it’s interesting. I’m not a huge fan of the movie, but I just don’t really see how it’s Manic Pixie. THOUGHTS? I’m probably delving way too much into this and saying something small in too many words.

• mayaautumn January 13th, 2013 12:17 PM

WILLOOOOWWWWWWW.
    also does anyone know her instagram? did she delete it? aghhh..

• BritishFish January 13th, 2013 4:20 PM

I miss dancing so much now..

• barbroxursox January 14th, 2013 12:00 AM

OMG EMMA I LITERALLY JUST WATCHED “KISS YOU” BY ONE DIRECTION FOR THE FIRST TIME LIKE HOURS AGO AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH THEM LIKE OMG I USED TO THINK THEY WERE OVERRATED BUT THEY ARE SO FUCKING ADORABLE I CAN’T STAND IT

• Foxdaughter2 January 14th, 2013 1:00 AM

I loved the mention of, and the writing about the Zooey Deschanel article. I think there could be a whole article about it! As far as the original article, though, I wish it had been more specific, and longer.

It is one thing for Hess to state that she likes Deschanel’s femininity as cast through a woman’s eyes, and not a man’s with an axe to grind. But what right does she have to judge Deschanel’s femininity, (which does not necessarily have anything to do with her personality) in the first place?! What right does anyone?

As far as femininity and personality goes, lots of guys, straight and guy, like pink and My Little Pony, for example. That has nothing to do with being female.

Second of all, I have seen mentions of Deschanel’s “high pitched voice”, so I am going to take a quick detour and repeat that whatever her actual voice is (is she high pitched naturally or is she faking it, I don’t know) it is not fair to criticize her for it, she can’t exactly change her voice, and should she have to fake a deep voice to please other people? Because that sounds pretty darn un-feminist and controlling to me!

Which leads me to my third and final point! Feminism is an attitude, a belief system, not a personality or a set of fashion restrictions! Feminism means believing men and women are equal and deserve equal rights and equal treatment. Women and men should get paid the same, men and women should both get to serve in the armed forces, etc. And I declare, loud and proud, that I am a feminist!

• Foxdaughter2 January 14th, 2013 1:09 AM

And to finish, because I over ran the character limit (Sorry!):

Feminism doesn’t have anything to do with the way I dress or act. Except to make me grateful to it that I have so many more choices than dresses only or getting married or whatever! I can wear dresses or pants, I can get married or stay single. And all of these are legitimate choices, which is what feminism is all about! Choices.

I can wear baggy plaid flannel shirts if I want, with heavy boots and jeans, and no makeup, while I dance to the Ramones. I can wear thick eyeliner and all black. I can wear ballet slippers and pink and way too many rainbow colored things. I can and do all of these things! Because all of these things are me! I am not any less of a feminist wearing pink than I am wearing jeans. These people judging Zooey Deschanel for what she likes are making feminism as restricting as people in the 50′s who said women belonged in the kitchen and shouldn’t wear pants! I can’t believe people are even considering judging her for what she likes, especially people who call themselves feminists. Those people aren’t feminists at all.

• Jessica W January 14th, 2013 2:15 AM

FRIDA KAHLO’S CLOSET THO
    *shrinks into a ball of excitement and implodes*

The Lovelorn

• SpencerBowie January 15th, 2013 4:47 AM

YALL DONT EVEN KNOW BOUT ME AND DAVID BOWIE! Lol! If y’all had seen my twitter, you woulda seen I was shaking when I found out!

So excited. He’s my fave