Fun

Sunday Video: Tarot 101

Not just a party trick.

So you wanna be a tarot reader? To help you become more acquainted with the cards, I’ve laid out some of the basics for you in this video (along with my lovely helper, Lola). Tarot is a fun and excellent tool for heightening your intuition. Not to mention you get to bask in the drama of everyone you read for (I mean, if that’s what you’re into). In case you’d like to further investigate the tarot, I suggest browsing through Aeclectic for card interpretations, spreads and more. They also host a tarot forum populated by a helpful community of people who taught me a lot about the cards. To get totally New Age-y on you, I hope your journey through the tarot bring you love and light!

• bugaleeto December 2nd, 2012 12:15 PM

I saw a set of tarot cards drawn by Edward Gorey at Barnes & Noble(s?) once but my mom wouldn’t let me get them because they’re “creepy”.

• Tavi December 2nd, 2012 1:13 PM

Thank you everyone who caught that the video was set to private at first! (We didn’t publish the comments b/c there were a ton of them, but thanks.)

• MissKnowItAll December 2nd, 2012 1:21 PM

The greatest way to kick off my birthday :)

• Tavi December 2nd, 2012 1:30 PM

Happy birthday, MissKnowItAll! I hope it’s the bestest.

• thirsty-pretzels December 2nd, 2012 3:32 PM

Happy birthday!!!!! <3 hope you have a kickass day with lots of candy and flower crowns

• Amy Rose December 2nd, 2012 11:57 PM

Happy birthday! We love you!

• Anaheed December 3rd, 2012 12:11 AM

Happy birthday bb!!

• Pixie December 3rd, 2012 1:33 PM

Yay! Happy Birthday! xo

• katrinaexplainsitall December 2nd, 2012 1:59 PM

Oh yayyy! I’ve always been interested in this stuff. I’m definitely going to try this out now.

• izi December 2nd, 2012 2:25 PM

This is sooo rad! Suzy you are awesome! But I’m still kind of confused about what tarot is, is it a future predictor, or a guide, or what? I’ve heard a ton of different things and would love some clarification.

• Erin. December 3rd, 2012 2:18 PM

I’ve never done a proper tarot reading before (I’ve looked into it a bit, though), but I think it is sort of like a guide. It’s not always straightforward, like, it won’t give you definite answers, so it’s not a future predictor. Like Suzy said, the person who shuffles the deck (the “askee” I’ll call them) focuses on a question or a problem, and the cards can display different aspects of the person/the person’s life that might play into their question/problem. I think of it as reading a visual story that the tarot reader has to decipher. Really, it takes the question/problem outside of the askee and puts it into the hands of someone else who can look at it with a different perspective. Because the reader is separate from the problem, s/he can approach it with a new clarity and might be able to tell the askee something that the askee had never considered before.

Hmm, I don’t know if this really clarifies anything for anyone (especially since I’m not a tarot reader myself; though I think I should try it out).

• rivahgirl December 2nd, 2012 2:45 PM

I’m still seeing it as set to private?

• jenaimarley December 2nd, 2012 3:06 PM

Ahhhhh I love tarot! My mom used to do it all the time for people when I was little and I would always make up stories with the cards when she wasn’t using them (who needs dolls??) but anyway I should get back into it for real!
    Thanks for the tips, Suzy!
    P.S. I have the same bracelet!

• jenaimarley December 2nd, 2012 3:38 PM

Also Daughters of the Moon Tarot cards by Ffiona Morgan are really excellent. They super female and homosexual positive!

• Adelaide December 2nd, 2012 4:03 PM

It’s still set to private for me.

• Anaheed December 2nd, 2012 4:20 PM

Try clearing your cache or doing a “hard refresh”?

• samman December 2nd, 2012 4:32 PM

Is it too late to submit for this month? And do you guys respond to all submissions?

• Thore December 2nd, 2012 4:45 PM

Thanks for the video, Rookie. I’ve always been fascinated by Tarot, I’m definitely going to look for a deck now.

• Ladymia69 December 2nd, 2012 6:23 PM

I still can’t watch it. I even logged into Vimeo. Help!

• Anaheed December 2nd, 2012 6:26 PM

I think it must be a glitch @ Vimeo’s end, because I triple-checked our privacy settings. Try again in a bit, I guess?

• Melisa December 2nd, 2012 8:00 PM

I’m from a Christian family and I do believe in Christianity. However, I do have a big interest in supernatural-y sound things and fortune-telling, which as you may (or may not) know, is forbidden. But I do believe that before I set my eyes on one faith, I should explore first, and that’s what I’m going to do. Great theme Rookie!

On a totally different note, are you guys going to do another Up All Night article? It’s awesome and if you are, I’ll be soooo looking forward to it!

• pinkcandyflossl December 7th, 2012 11:51 AM

I’m from a Christian family and I believe in the fortune-telling and supernatural things as well as Christianity. I’m still going to carry on with all the things I do as a Christian and a believer of supernatural, because we should have a choice in what we do and god should except that.

Woah I went a bit deep.

• meganjanie December 2nd, 2012 8:33 PM

Any suggestions for where to get a deck?

• Haka December 2nd, 2012 8:39 PM

the video is still private on my computer :(

• Anaheed December 2nd, 2012 9:17 PM

UGH I have no idea why that is happening. What about when you try to view it on Vimeo?

• sn0wwhite December 2nd, 2012 9:13 PM

I absolutely love this.
    I definitely will be trying this out!

• Anaheed December 2nd, 2012 9:18 PM

I know this is kind of besides the point but I cannot take all the hotness in this video.

• georgie fruit December 2nd, 2012 11:13 PM

oh my god Anaheed I agree 100%. IT IS JUST TOO MUCH.

• Amy Rose December 2nd, 2012 11:58 PM

I was JUST going to comment to say this. You two are kind of breaking my old heart.

• Lola December 4th, 2012 10:14 AM

you guys! you g-uh-uuh-uuuuuys

• Eryn December 2nd, 2012 9:26 PM

This is awesome! My mom has a bunch of tarot cards. It’s very interesting.

• litchick December 2nd, 2012 9:36 PM

Tarot looks like a lot of fun!

P.S. Luv today’s background.

• rhymeswithcat December 2nd, 2012 11:13 PM

Totally trying this once finals are over!

Also, side note: If we submitted an article for “faith” and haven’t received a response, is it safe to assume it won’t be used?

I understand you get a high volume of submissions, but I was just curious!

• Anaheed December 3rd, 2012 12:12 AM

Hey there — I’m going through submissions right now; we do get a lot of them, so it takes a long time. Short answer: no, that doesn’t mean we don’t want it.

• rhymeswithcat December 3rd, 2012 12:17 AM

Awesome, thank you! :)

• Anaheed December 3rd, 2012 12:56 AM

Suzy X. I want a reading from you!

• teenfurby December 3rd, 2012 3:44 AM

Thanks Suzy and Lola, I’m going to look for them now :~)

• ivoire December 3rd, 2012 4:52 AM

(u guys are so so cute omg)

• zhajean December 3rd, 2012 5:43 AM

wow!! this is soooo cool!! i always have this secret interest to this thing! Suzy is so good at this tutorial. Actually, I thought she was going to read the cards she had laid on the table. However, she did a good job :)

czarina♥

• catpower44 December 3rd, 2012 9:14 AM

Ever since I saw this on My so Called Life, I’ve always wanted to try it! Lola and Suzy, you guys are the coolest.
    On another note, I looked at the calendar for this month and saw that the 27th had a drawing from Persepolis on it! I love those graphic novels so much. They are my second favourite after Ghost World! I literally ~CANNOT~ WAIT.

• katethe___great December 3rd, 2012 9:20 AM

I actually just bought a deck that was featured on the Dieline (a packaging/design blog) that’s zombie themed: http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2012/11/7/zombie-tarot-cards.html

• larvaa_ December 3rd, 2012 4:54 PM

I was watching my so-called life the weekend (like literally from Friday night to Sunday i couldn’t stop) and one of the episodes was when Angela meets Rayanne’s mom and she becomes so into reading tarot cards, this video reminds me of that episode…tarot cards are cool!! im not supposed to believe in psychic stuff but tarots are still cool anyways

• chloegrey December 3rd, 2012 6:08 PM

It’s actually really funny that this was one of the first things up for ‘faith,’ because I was thinking about writing something and submitting it about the Tarot and me and a sort of guide to reading them! I’m Wiccan and I’ve been reading Tarot cards for about two years, and while I don’t do it very much, I find it so relaxing and clearing and it makes me feel like such a helpful person! I’m actually writing my big college application essay scary thing on Tarot right now :) I’d recommend doing it to anyone, not to mention I love looking at different decks and all the illustrations…
    COINCEDENCE NUMBER TWO, by the way, is that I have the Edward Gorey deck! I bought them on a whim but I ended up using them way more than the traditional deck and I’m even thinking about getting one of the cards tattooed on me!

• insteadofanelephant December 4th, 2012 4:28 PM

this is so cool i’ve always wanted to know how to do this

blog: instead of an elephant
    Creative Director: Thread Magazine

• Anaheed December 4th, 2012 6:46 PM

If this video is still set to private for any of you, can you please take a screenshot of that screen and email it to me at anaheed@rookiemag.com? Thank you!

• StellaBerlin December 23rd, 2012 1:15 PM

I am officially determined to learn how to read Tarot over this break! Thank youuuuu, Suzy X for this tutorial!

• Dick December 24th, 2012 9:33 PM

I’ve actually had so many readings done on me and now it’s my turn to give it a go. Thanks for the rad video! :)

• Mary the freak January 23rd, 2013 8:10 AM

I have always wanted to try this, so this is like SO PERFECT! AAAMZING.

• Jean January 25th, 2013 5:26 PM

I have always wondered about tarot, and the guide is really fantastic! I can’t wait to persuade my friend to do it with me :)

• celestial object January 26th, 2013 6:25 PM

this is awesome, tarot is so much fun! plus love the environment with the candles and stuff for the full experience :) I agree with Suzy. I think it’s a way to access our subconscious. the cards hold this kind of universal symbolism and it’s up to us to see what we pick up from it.