Everything else

Saturday Links: The Sims As Art Edition

Games go to the museum.

Joe
In this Sunday’s New York Times Magazine, there is an extremely inspiring article about autism that focuses on a man in Denmark who founded a company “on the theory that, given the right environment, an autistic adult could not just hold down a job but also be the best person for it.” It’s filled with awesome anecdotes about the special skills these underestimated people have, but also their awkward interactions with “neurotypicals,” like when one autistic employee calls the cake his coworker brought in terrible. The best stories, like this one, make you alternate between tearing up and giggling, all while giving you some new-found faith in the world.

This new video for the Babies, perfectly titled “Baby,” features lead singer Cassie Ramone doing a solo karaoke rendition of her own song with some super ’80s cinematography and effects. It’s simple and clever, but oddly moving.

Hazel
Bleached, who played the Rookie Strange Magic prom, talk about their latest album in this article for Spin. I’m really interested to hear an album that’s a little on the poppier side for Jennifer and Jessica Clavin, who typically churn out fast punk music that’s perfect to dance to. I’m excited!

Julian Fellowes, the guy who writes/produces/dreams Downton Abbey, is set to make a show about the Gilded Age in NYC. It BETTER have sassy old women, a lot of rich people, and tons of eavesdropping through olde-timey vents or else I’M NOT WATCHING. *snaps fingers in Z formation*. But seriously, it’ll probably rule.

I am experiencing an extreme case of Portlandia withdrawal (I need Toni and Candace in my life right now) and am literally counting down the days until their Christmas special (December 14th!) and the start of the third season (January 4th!) So naturally I was JUMPING OFF ALL THE WALLS when I heard about all the awesome people who were going to be on the third season. Besides Chloe Sevigny, stars like Bill Hader, Juliette Lewis, Roseanne Barr, and J Mascis, to name a few, will be joining Fred and Carrie (we’re on a first name basis, duh [I wish])!

MoMA is starting a video games collection! The Sims is art! All those hours spent making the perfect fake families who you could control with your computer, dictating their every action and desire, was an act of performance. Or something. Kind of annoyed that Dig-Dug isn’t in the collection yet. Get your shit together MoMA.

Danielle
A friend posted a link to the Larkin Street Youth Services holiday gift drive earlier this week, and I was reminded of how little it often takes to brighten someone’s day. The organization addresses many issues associated with homeless youth, but the holiday gift drive helps teens staying in their emergency shelters and transitional living programs. Yes, they are asking for large items, but small things like brushes, school supplies, and socks are also greatly appreciated.

Rose

Slate has a new photo blog, and I’m impressed. This week they posted the work of Yemeni photographer Boushra Almutawakel, whose playful project The Hijab Series catalogs the subtle differences in dress for women that wear the veil and comments on the gender dynamics represented by traditional garments for both sexes. The three images above are excerpted from Mother, Daughter, and Doll, a witty and moving taxonomical portrait that interrogates the relationships between women and what they wear.

Naomi

Sloopy the dancing chihuahua! My dream dance partner.

And on the other side of the spectrum, Benjamin Zephaniah (one of my favorite brummies) writing on animal abuse makes for an interesting read.

Tavi
My friend showed me this recently spawned Tumblr of the most bizarre self-published ebooks. You really just have to take a look for yourself, and please let me know if you buy one of them and if it lives up to its amazing title. I am especially intrigued by Emancipation Proclamation of My Pants and the one that, in its summary, describes a troll as “kind but ugly.”

CORY AND TOPANGA ARE IN! Topanga is on Tumblr! EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING!

Emma
This recipe makes me want to make salads in the winter, which otherwise my body rejects as a subspecies of foodstuffs.

But mostly I just want to make things like this:

• streaked lights December 1st, 2012 12:22 PM

The idea of ‘Gilded Joy’ is making me weep with joy. I can’t wait for it, especially seeing the differences in culture during the same time period. AND THE FASHION WOW!

Also, brb crying over Girl meets World. All my dreams are coming true!

• zombiesockmonkey December 1st, 2012 7:59 PM

This is random but I checked out your blog, and you have mad awesome art skills.

• Erin. December 1st, 2012 1:15 PM

Soooooo excited for Girl Meets World! They aren’t really saying much about it yet, but if it’s like Boy Meets World, except with a girl as the main character, dealing with more girl-related issues, yet still with the same awesome writing and endlessly hilarious comedy, then I am so in.

• thefilmrookie December 1st, 2012 1:21 PM

the self published ebooks one is soooo

cool!http://cinemacrazyy.blogspot.com

• HollinsCollins December 1st, 2012 1:23 PM

Ohh Emmmmmma.. I understand XD

• katrinaexplainsitall December 1st, 2012 1:33 PM

Girl Meets World and all this Boy Meets World talk makes so happy :’). I’m still a little scared for how the show might end up, but I have faith in Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel! And hopefully, Mr. Feeny makes some guest appearances too!

• Sorcha M December 1st, 2012 2:13 PM

I saw Benjamin Zephaniah in Cambridge a while ago. He’s pretty awesome irl.

• Maggie December 1st, 2012 2:41 PM

I think Amber should be appointed as the official Rookie Girl Meet World In-Depth Reporter

• helloimkate December 1st, 2012 2:54 PM

Benjamin Zephaniah!! My English teacher met him, she had a framed photo of him up in our classroom haha. Have you heard his Talking Turkeys? http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/poetry/outloud/zephaniah_turkeys.shtml
    Plus the word Brummie on Rookie <3 far too excited about this!

• shelley December 1st, 2012 3:09 PM

I played the chihuahua video muted because I was listening to music- he was perfectly in time with bel air by lana del rey hahah

• Jeanne December 1st, 2012 3:27 PM

Boushra Almutawakels work is amazing! It’s serious and humoristic at the same time. What’s happening in the arab world is horrible, especially for women. They’re often forced to hide their beauty to “protect” themselves from sexual harassement. Women can’t express themseves in lots of arabic countries. Things must change!

• Libby December 1st, 2012 4:12 PM

I’ll be spending my evening looking through a few weeks worth of these Saturday links (my life is so productive!)
    By the way, is it too late to submit anything for December?

• Hesty December 1st, 2012 4:47 PM

The heading this month is so pretty!

• Kathryn December 1st, 2012 5:06 PM

Seriously, like I can’t even believe that Girl Meets World is happening. IT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING OUT OF MY DREAMS

• Ree December 1st, 2012 5:07 PM

Benjamin Zephaniah is amazing and I’m almost a Brummie! I actually live a 20 minute drive away but I was there this weekend!

• Keight December 1st, 2012 5:34 PM

I’ve been re watching old episodes of Portlandia in preparation for the new one. Freaking out!

• NotReallyChristian December 1st, 2012 6:26 PM

You think self-published e-books are weird? Try self-published regular books! My parents (and me on Saturdays) work at a copyright library – which means a library that has a duty to preserve books for posterity as well as let people read them. SO the library isn’t allowed to throw anything away (unless they have two exactly the same) and that means if anyone sends them something they HAVE to keep it, even if it’s totally batshit crazy. There’s a guy who draws loads of pictures on MS paint, prints them off, binds them together then *wraps them up in used crisp packets* and sends them to the library. And they have to keep them FOREVER!!

• Maddy December 1st, 2012 9:44 PM

wow, that’s weird! I suppose they’re working with a liberal definition of “book”

• Pashupati December 1st, 2012 7:06 PM

I thought the dolls in the Hijab Series were real babies. They were so creepy and uncanny.

• thisisausername December 1st, 2012 9:27 PM

Loved the article about animals in circuses! More pieces on animal rights, please?

• Faith December 1st, 2012 10:43 PM

Helloooo Rookie!! majorly random, but i gotta ask if there’s an email I could just send in my work for this month’s theme. I hate microsoft outlook, please could i just get an email link instead (Like what the email address is)?? Also debating whether I should send in my story, but whatev’s!! I love how December’s all about FAITH!! Aww yeahh!! Gonna be epic!

• Tavi December 1st, 2012 10:58 PM

I don’t use Outlook either — if you just hover over the link, the address should appear in a bottom corner of your browser :) the email is submission@rookiemag.com.

• Faith December 1st, 2012 11:15 PM

Greatness, okay thank you!!! Now I have to be strategic in order for y’all to like it and then by a long shot y’all are gonna ask for More! MORE! More! I dunno, I’m just quoting that stuff from the “YOU” instructions on how to send stuff in, lol. Thanks anyways!!

• victoria December 2nd, 2012 1:59 AM

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOREVER BECAUSE OF COURSE THE SIMS IS FREAKING ART ARE YOU KIDDING ME

• ivoire December 2nd, 2012 3:03 AM

SIMS ART YES X99999999

omg this babies band is real cool thanks xoxo

• Chloe December 2nd, 2012 11:59 AM

Harry Potter and the gospel of christ… that looks like an interesting read…

• Abby in the Sky with Diamonds December 2nd, 2012 9:53 PM

My brother is autistic but he prefers playing his Hot Wheels CD-ROM game to the Sims. I wonder if he’d like those games if he tried. I wonder if I’d like those games if I tried. Does anybody play MySims? By the way my brother’s name is Jacob and he is so good with computers omg. (And also he is a super q-t.)

• unicornconnect December 3rd, 2012 4:14 AM

I know this is a bit random, but has there been an article featuring all the journal pages readers submitted last month?????? I was looking forward to reading it:):):):)