Everything else

Saturday Links: Back to McKinley Edition

Sam Weir got so buff.

Emma S.

This week gave the world two of the best holiday-themed videos of all time. The first is Olivia Newton-John and John Travola’s completely terrifying new atrocity, and the second is Mariah Carey and the Roots and Jimmy Fallon, which is basically Love, Actually condensed into a two-minute clip. Warning: both will probably make you cry. The former because you will be laughing so hard and the latter because your Scrooge-y soul has just melted.

Gabby
Remember how I wrote about my frustration with the Easy-Bake Oven? Turns out I am not alone! Thirteen-year-old McKenna Pope has started a petition for Hasbro to change the way it markets the toy. After her little brother asked for a dinosaur and an Easy-Bake Oven for Christmas, she was shocked to find zero boys in the product’s packaging or advertisements. She’s asking the company to make the toy more gender neutral because, after all, baking is not just an activity for the ladies. I wish McKenna and her brother all of the dinosaur-shaped cookies in the world! Let’s just hope Hasbro listens and this doesn’t end up in another QueasyBake Cookerator disaster.

Tavi

A smart person made this fantastic animation to accompany Rookie hero Neil deGrasse Tyson‘s answer to the question of the point of the universe. I love him and all he does because although his work is a consistent reminder of how tiny we are, I am always left with a feeling of satisfaction and purpose when I listen to what he has to say. Oh also he is doing the remake of Cosmos soooooo make sure you make no social plans for the time of its release.

2012, PLEASE don’t be the end of the world, because Fleetwood Mac just announced that they are starting a tour in April and I am freaking out!! Lindsey Buckingham says it will be 75% Fleetwood classics and 25% unexplored stuff and hopefully a portion that’s just him and Stevie onstage. So BASICALLY the perfect combo for any fan. My heart is already aching.

I wish Modess was not the name of a sanitary pad because then I could use it to call Shirley Kurata the MOD GODDESS she is. In this House of Style clip, she muses about the delight of getting dressed and gives a tour of her absolutely joy-inducing closet.

Caitlin
Congratulations to Elizabeth Price, who just won the Turner Prize, a very prestigious annual award presented to a British visual artist under the age of 50. Price’s video art uses archival images, text, and music to explore the relationships between humans and the objects they consume. I’m very pleased she’s making points about how important art is in education, especially with the EBacc (England’s new testing system that is resulting in cuts in creative subjects). I’m sick of art, design, and drama being regarded as nonacademic. The more people stick up for them, the better!

Hazel
Like many other people, I am a little obsessed with Claire Boucher, also known as Grimes. Her music is BEYOND and I just want to know as much about her as possible. Rookie’s own Jessica Hopper recently did this interview for Spin, and it’s Boucher’s best interview ever. She opens up about her youth, feminism, her relationship to the internet, and more. Definitely required reading.

Wanna smell like ’za? Pizza Hut has a perfume. Apparently it smells like “freshly baked, hand-tossed dough.” Are you vomiting right now OR jumping for joy?

Naomi

This is my favorite Christmas song–or should I say DMXmas song, har har–so far this year. As my friend Ahmed, who played this for me (thank you, Ahmed!!), said, “DMX is the only dude that can make this song sound scary.”

Rose
According to surveys, 40% of homeless youth in the USA identify as LGBTQ. Rachel Aviv’s epic and heartbreaking piece in this week’s New Yorker is an intimate, must-read account of what it’s like for a few of those teens to live on the street. Read it and weep.

Phoebe

I realize it would’ve made no sense, but when Vanity Fair got the entire Freaks and Geeks cast together for the first time in 12 years, I wish they’d also had the foresight to shoot another episode. (How awesome would it have been to flash-forward to 1992?) But since that couldn’t happen for lots of logistical reasons, not the least of which are that John Francis Daley’s muscles make it almost impossible to remember him as little Sam Weir, I’ll settle for watching this video and obsessively poring over the photos from then and now (the actress who played Cindy looks so different, and where is Ben Foster?). It’s cool how many people from this show really made it–Jason Segel, Busy Phillips, Seth Rogen, Lizzy Caplan, James Franco, Martin Starr–but the best part is seeing everyone together. After graduation (and series cancellations), it’s pretty much a guarantee that the same group of people will never be in the same room again, and as Judd Apatow says, this is probably the last time for the F&G gang. Maybe that’s how it’s supposed to be. Maybe the ending we got was just perfect. Regardless, I like thinking of Lindsey and Nick and Haverchuck and Millie as real people who carried on after we stopped watching them, and for the moment, looking at these photos, I can pretend that’s true. ♦

• katrinaexplainsitall December 8th, 2012 12:11 PM

I know it sounds lame, but All I Want For Christmas is probably my favorite Christmas song. It just makes me so happy! n_n Ah, and the Freaks and Geeks reunion just made my soul hurt a little bit. Such a shame it never got another season.

• Lascelles December 8th, 2012 12:19 PM

Looking for the whole video of video part of Elizabeth Price’s work right now actually :D Looks interesting…

• HollinsCollins December 8th, 2012 12:24 PM

Freaks and Geeks is literally one of my favorite things.

• M.Rose December 8th, 2012 12:36 PM

I love the Turner Prize and I hate my government. The Ebacc is such a bad idea.

• all-art-is-quite-useless December 9th, 2012 8:05 AM

Me too… the government’s plans for education are based on putting ideology first, actual evidence of what works for children, including those who aren’t spectacularly privileged and/or gifted(as opposed to what worked for Micheal Gove and his friends) second. The government routinely demonises public sector workers – teachers, social workers, doctors… – and the poor. I hate their policies and their elitism so much.

• makeawish3653 December 8th, 2012 12:49 PM

I’m ashamed to say I’ve never seen Freaks and Geeks. Would some kind soul tell me what it’s about?

• georgie fruit December 8th, 2012 9:46 PM

it’s about people in high school in the 1980s. that scarcely does it justice because it is a GLORIOUS piece of television art: it’s funny, it’s relatable, the cast and crew are insanely good (just read the names Phoebe provided–that’s not even the entire list of wonderful people involved!).

you can watch it on Netflix instant I think, where, once you’ve gone through the torturously short season, you can also watch Undeclared, which is sort of like F&G: College Edition.

also unrelated but ANAHEED! I just heard last week’s This American Life and the story about your and Ira’s dog was so compelling and funny and heartwarming and I loved every minute of it.

• catpower44 December 8th, 2012 1:21 PM

Freaks and Geeks=love. It is so amazing and I wish I owned it!!! Those reunion pictures are SO COOL!
    On another note, FLEETWOOD MAC TOUR!!! I saw it in the newspaper last week and even though it’s on a Sunday night where I live, I’m getting tickets! I’m SO EXCITED!!! Sigh. Just the thought of being in the same room as them makes me have butterflies!

• Elizabete December 8th, 2012 1:25 PM

Just saved almost all of those “unseen” Freaks&Geeks pictures on my computer.
    Such a bittersweet feeling.

• tonalitylove December 8th, 2012 1:27 PM

Hah love the DMX video. So much Christmas cheer going around! Another gem: https://vimeo.com/54810648

• kirigamirose December 8th, 2012 1:51 PM

i live in the uk and ebacc= :( creative subjects being shunned by ignorant tory poshboys – i might not be able to do art gcse and that is realllllly disapointing

• alylee December 8th, 2012 1:55 PM

All of the Christmas songs on this page made me so happy for some many reasons. So bad yet so good!

• Annie92 December 8th, 2012 2:29 PM

Loved Elizabeth Price’s work, it was really exhilarating to watch. I’m so glad she won! You can watch an excerpt here:

xx

• Pearl December 8th, 2012 2:37 PM

Omfg freaks & geeks reunion! Fleetwood Mac! My time machine works Jk I really miss both bits of my soul.

• angusyoung4eva December 8th, 2012 2:44 PM

I absolutely love Phoebe’s bit on the “Freaks and Geeks” reunion – I love that show so much and it makes me so happy to see all of those successful people back together one more time! Thanks for sharing! :D

• Sorcha M December 8th, 2012 3:09 PM

I want to boycott the Tory government.

• all-art-is-quite-useless December 9th, 2012 8:08 AM

yes, let’s do it. Can we set a colony or alternative society or something until they get out of power?

• Mary the freak December 8th, 2012 3:27 PM

TAVI YOUR LINKS ARE SERIOUSLY PERFECT! <3

• Blythe December 8th, 2012 3:36 PM

Ooh I loved the clothing video and the article about homeless kids. That one was heartbreaking and now I just want to hug the entire world.

• thesexyzebra December 8th, 2012 3:54 PM

Hey, Gabby! I LURVED your EasyBake article, and used it as the topic of my Barnard App. Just wanted to let you know, I wouldn’t have applied if I hadn’t read your articles and bio. <3

• Taylor WM December 8th, 2012 4:03 PM

Grimes and the Turner Prize and Freaks and Geeks reunion and… These Saturday posts are literally the highlights of my weekends; literally the best thing ever:)

• Jeanne December 8th, 2012 5:16 PM

OH MY GOD. The Mariah Carey song did make me cry! I’m In love with it!

• Kathryn December 8th, 2012 5:44 PM

FREAKS AND GEEKS! SHIRLEY KURATA! NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON! JIMMY FALLON! GENDER ROLES IN THE MARKETING OF TOYS! great links, guys

• cosmic-vomit December 8th, 2012 6:28 PM

Holy shit. I love Lindsey and Stevie like they’re characters in a book or a film which is so unhealthy and not okay but they were perfect for each other and I just love them so much.

• LilySew December 8th, 2012 8:02 PM

Love the video about the universe – I’m usually horrible at science but the little drawings just made science and the universe fun AND interesting.
    :D :D

• cherrycola27 December 8th, 2012 9:09 PM

I saw those Freaks and Geeks pictures around tumblr a few days ago and thought there was going to be an actual reunion! Alas, no. Those pictures are wonderful though and kind of make me want to cry.

• Maisie November 10th, 2013 8:50 AM

An actual reunion would have been amazing but all I want is a My So Called Life reunion.

• FlowerPower December 8th, 2012 9:19 PM

Mariah Carey’s “All I want for Christmas is You” is one of my favorite songs around this time, it just makes you feel so happy! Then again all Christmas music does (except the serious church kind).
    Awh, Shirely Kurata is so neat! She reminds me of a character from some cartoon, but I can’t remember what it was called.. :/

• zhajean December 8th, 2012 10:14 PM

F&G reunion made me cry :( how i miss all of them ♥

• coolgirl December 8th, 2012 11:27 PM

FREAKS AND GEEKS = LIFE

• victoria December 9th, 2012 2:16 AM

another really good interesting website is

i don’t know- there’s just something incredibly poignant about these closeups and i could just go on about how these pictures deconstruct and humanize these personas demonstrating something beyond the pop culture/media veneer of perfection or whatever but i’m just going to stop and say that i think these are really cool (and also that i can’t believe i used the word poignant in association with a tumblr LOL life happenz)

• s.blume December 9th, 2012 2:46 AM

That Grimes interview made my weekend! She is so amazing and honest. I thought it was interesting that she sort of mentioned Descartes’ philosophical idea of “I think, therefore I am” when she was asked if she believed in any particular organizing principle.

• madeleine9 December 9th, 2012 4:31 AM

loved the grimes article, i met her last night and she is SO INCREDIBLY charming and lovely – this and her eloquent reponses to the interview makes me love her music even more than i already did :)

• SewHappy December 9th, 2012 3:02 PM

Loving the saturday links! Also, can I just say that, Tavi, your interview in the Observer magazine was a great read! When I turned the page I did a little squeal when I realised who the article was about! :D

• sunshine December 9th, 2012 7:22 PM

The reunion video was perfect!

• Microbyte1 December 9th, 2012 8:42 PM

the F&G reunion is the best thing ever !

• numoon_vintage December 11th, 2012 4:57 AM

millie turned into a beautiful swan

• simplebutchic December 12th, 2012 8:43 PM

I love freaks and geeks! Some of them have changed so much.