Style

Learning the Face-ics, Lesson Two: Lips

Professor Amy Rose attacks your mouth.

In part two of our series on just, like, HOW DO YOU DO NORMAL MAKEUP STUFF?, Amy Rose takes on the products that you put on your lips. There are FIVE VIDEOS’ worth of tips here for us raw beginners, from basic gloss to advanced wizardry like lip brushes, dramatic colors, and using EYELINER on your LIPS.

Programming note: Amy Rose has a bad cold in these videos, so they are extra cute.

Part One: Prime, Protect, Line

Part Two: Basic Lipstick

Part Three: Lip Plumper & Berry Lipstick

Part Four: Gloss & Highlighter

Part Five: High Drama

Products she used:

• Electra Heart December 14th, 2012 3:09 PM

Amy Rose, you are my queen for creating these videos! I just starting experimenting more with make up and these videos are super helpful. THANK YOU SO MUCH. <3

• Mary the freak December 14th, 2012 3:14 PM

So. Even I can make my lips look beautiful now! Thank you so much! you are awesome.

• Ree December 14th, 2012 4:30 PM

This is so helpful – definitely one of my favourite features on Rookie. Thank you so much Amy Rose!

• Abby December 14th, 2012 4:58 PM

This is awesome.

Also, thoughts/prayers/love/everything to the 26 victims and their families in Connecticut. It’s a horrifying tragedy…

• Anaheed December 14th, 2012 5:23 PM

Yes. How are you all doing out there? We are all kinda wrecked.

• Abby December 14th, 2012 5:30 PM

Pretty messed up, honestly… I was watching CNN and suddenly it just washed over me that this could have been my little sister’s school, or the school that the little boy I babysit at home goes to… or the little boy I mentor, his school. It’s just horrifying. I’m at college until wednesday, but I just wish I could be home to hug my family and friends and thank god that I still have them.

• Anaheed December 14th, 2012 5:33 PM

My heart is also breaking for the kids who lived through it and now have to have those pictures and sounds and memories in their heads & hearts forever.

• Maddy December 14th, 2012 10:16 PM

Me too. Especially because it’s an elementary school and it’s so close to me on the East coast. My young cousins live 20 minutes away in CT in a similar sounding town. I keep reading news stories and seeing pictures and crying as I am now.

• Isil December 14th, 2012 5:08 PM

Yaaay make up with Amy Rose! I’ve been waiting for this and I got too excited when I see you at the index. The videos are very good, you are really sweet and helpful. I hope you get better soon.

I have a question, though. My hair and eye colour is dark brown and my skin is like some kind of olive and it is also a little pale, I think it’s more like beige or whatever. I want to buy a lipstick, I tried Mac Chili and I think it looks good on me but I bought a lot of lipstick that I’ve thought they looked good on me and I’ve never used them. Mac chili is like a orange-ish red color, do you think it will look good on people who has hair&skin color like me?

• RaineFall December 15th, 2012 6:50 AM

I am of Indian ethnicity, so have an olive skin tone too (though I sound a bit darker than you). I was told berry and red tones suit our skin tone well. I found pinks didn’t suit me.
      Orange lipstick works on olive and dark skin because we have the warmer undertones in out skin to work with it.
      Hope this helps.

• Isil December 15th, 2012 5:27 PM

Thank you so much for your help! I loved the orange toned color but I wasn’t sure because I was thinking it would look so ridiculous on me -I’m not good at deciding what’s looking good on me I always need a hand- and you helped me much about it. I googled the red lipstick tones for olive skin but everyone was saying “every tone is looking good”, so your answer was very helpful for me. Thanks again, I’m gonna buy mac chili :D

• spudzine December 14th, 2012 5:20 PM

Thanks so much Amy Rose. I have never really worn makeup before, and the times I have, I really didn’t know what I was doing, so thanks for showing me how to enhance my features the right way!

• katiestarrynight December 14th, 2012 5:25 PM

Props to her for filming a video despite her cold. And to her housemate for vacuuming!

• Sophii December 14th, 2012 5:47 PM

Love you too Amy Rose! These videos are awesome. Thanks so so much <3

• RaineFall December 14th, 2012 6:55 PM

Can someone explain lipstick blotting to me? It was mentioned in passing in a magazine I read, and I gather it makes your lipstick stay on for longer (mine seems to disappear after my first cup of coffee) but I don’t know how many times to do it, how exactly etc.

Amy Rose once again, you rock!

• sequoia December 14th, 2012 7:25 PM

arabelle on your tv
    cute cute

• Amy Rose December 14th, 2012 7:41 PM

Yes! Arabelle is in sticker form behind my head. You win a prize for noticing!

• Lulu December 14th, 2012 7:52 PM

Thanks so much Amy Rose – Face-ics has been such a good Rookie feature :) Do you think you could do a video about taking makeup off?

• LilySew December 14th, 2012 8:26 PM

Thankyou so much for this, i’ll be trying it our very soon – I just found a whole bunch of gorgeous bright reds and dark reds to try out. Maybe one day i’ll try out black! :D

• camille December 14th, 2012 9:46 PM

If you want to save money on lip liner, Make Up Forever makes a transparent one you can use with everything!

• Marijose December 14th, 2012 10:37 PM

Face-ics more like thank you for saving my life because i literally don’t know anything about make up (which is a bummer because i love make up)

• Jamia December 14th, 2012 10:38 PM

LOVE!!! I’m dying to try Vapour organics.

• clarekawaii December 14th, 2012 11:17 PM

you are so brilliant for making these videos! my makeup looks 4318247893471x times better now because i’ve seen these~

• ladyjenna December 15th, 2012 12:16 AM

Hey Amy rose! Great videos… Was wondering at the end of the whole video series if you could make a list of basic cosmetics for us who have NOTHING right now that would be good stuff to have. ( you should also defs do a video in a Walgreens or sephora where you show how to pick out shades/products.

Sooooo helpful thanks again

• Amy Rose December 15th, 2012 12:05 PM

Making an in-store video is such a good idea!

• spree December 15th, 2012 1:20 AM

this is so good! I’d like to have more lipstick-wearing confidence but I always feel like it makes it super-noticeable that I have peach fuzz on my upper lip. :/

• teacoat December 15th, 2012 1:35 AM

I see someone else has a subscription to ipsy!

(By the way, did you get the highlighting paper in this month’s bag? What’s the deal with that? Does it go on after foundation? Before? Because it seems like if you used it after it would just wipe the foundation off, but if you did it before foundation, the foundation would just cover it up and it would be kind of pointless, right? Unless you’re just supposed to use it on it’s own without foundation, which seems pretty silly too. If I don’t care enough to put makeup on, I definitely don’t care enough to highlight…)

• Jessica W December 15th, 2012 6:02 AM

You are the makeup queen. Loves it <3

The Lovelorn

• katie-saskia69 December 15th, 2012 7:47 AM

I found this video very helpful, as I realised I have been applying lip liner wrong this whole time. Thank you Amy Rose.
    You guys should check out our blog, Bohemian. It has really legit shit and you should find it very interesting.

• A Fox In The Snow December 15th, 2012 3:02 PM

Amy Rose, you have by far the coolest TV in the world.

• Moxx December 15th, 2012 4:35 PM

Yeysyeysysy thank you for this series!

• zhajean December 15th, 2012 9:40 PM

Amy Rose, you’re the best! the videos are absolutely helpful! i’m really learning from this face-ics segment!!

i ♥ Rookie!

• grrlfriend December 15th, 2012 9:44 PM

Hi hi! I have lovely big dark pink lips, but for some reason, I dream of them in PALE ORANGE. However, I find the pale stuff I have is never opaque enough and my natural colour seems to over-power it. so I never get the look I want. Is pale lip-liner a thing that will help or is there some primer I should use? Or do I just have the wrong brand (aka topshop)? Thanks!

• SarahLara December 15th, 2012 9:47 PM

Magnificent! My face looks significantly more rad with lipstick.

• Kristina December 15th, 2012 10:32 PM

I love this series!Amy Rose, I just love the way you go about explaining all the steps :) And yay for dark lips

• apb December 16th, 2012 6:55 AM

this series is gr8, your lips are incredible!

• sneakybacon December 16th, 2012 11:18 AM

my biggest problem with lipstick is the slightly wetter part at the back of your lips never gets the lipstick stuck to it, that or it wears off really quickly- is there anything to combat that?

• sarahlapetite December 16th, 2012 8:04 PM

Love this! I will explode with joy if you film one on how you do your eye make up. It is intense!

• rosie22 December 16th, 2012 11:00 PM

I made an account just to say AMY ROSE YOU ARE THE BEST. I was terrified of lipstick until like TODAY and now I have RED LIPS ON MY FACE. I feel very christmassy/festive, and the lip-liner situation was perilous for a few moments but it looks ok now (it will be better next time though, fingers crossed) and I LOVE IT THANKS YOU ARE SO HELPFUL.

• hanalady December 17th, 2012 1:47 AM

Ok, so are you not supposed to fill in the liner over the entire lip before you apply the lipstick? i’ve seen several tutorials (including others on rookie http://rookiemag.com/2012/05/flaming-lips/ ) that say you have to fill in the lip liner over the whole lip because otherwise the lipstick will slowly fade and the liner will stay and you will look like you have a crazy outline on your lips. is this a myth? an optional truth? i’m confused.

• simplebutchic December 17th, 2012 4:01 PM

Amy has lovely lips!

• yvetttteeee December 20th, 2012 3:23 AM

EYEBROW VIDEO PLEASE
    love these <3

• maddzwx December 21st, 2012 3:28 PM

Thanks for the (much needed) lipliner tips, Amy Rose! Also, not a big deal, but the second product you have listed, and what Amy Rose uses in video 2 is NYC New York Color Smooch Proof Long Wearing Lip COLOR, not liner.

• Erykaneisha December 30th, 2012 8:28 PM

I’ve been into this Face-ics series and actually been using your tips! Thank you so much. Every time I go on YouTube I feel slightly overwhelmed with how many makeup videos there are. They’re also a bit complex and stuff. Anyway, I love the simplicity of your videos and techniques to achieve really awesome looks.
    I also love how you randomly get distracted. Hahaha :)

• Jessica Mei January 12th, 2013 10:50 PM

Love these videos!! They’re super informative and I’m really glad for them. Just wondering, though – what’s the best method of clean-up? Other than makeup wipes, that is. (My mom refuses to buy them specially or let me buy them with my own money, so..)

• qcam January 13th, 2013 7:59 AM

I was literally JUST bitching with a friend about how ‘hard’ makeup is, but after this I’m confident a trip to the local supermarket for some products and a little dedication is all it’ll take for me to become proficient. Thanks, Amy Rose!

And this may be a fairly obvious suggestion, but as someone who can barely put on mascara half the time, I’m drooling over your eye makeup. Show us how, please? Eyeliner and fake lashes are particularly of interest…

I’d also love to see these looks (or new ones, even better) recreated on a person of color like myself. Maybe you have a friend who’d be willing to volunteer to go under your brush? :)

• qcam January 13th, 2013 8:10 AM

Totally saw your video on fake lashes in the related videos the second after I’d commented requesting it. Gee, now I feel dumb.

./////.

• AYAtheOUSH January 20th, 2013 4:11 PM

when will the next video be up???

• Anaheed January 20th, 2013 5:35 PM

Last week of this month!

• AYAtheOUSH January 21st, 2013 1:52 PM

would that be the last one? cuz i was kinda hoping the series would go on forever….

• Anaheed January 21st, 2013 4:08 PM

No, I think there are a few more coming.

• boofie February 19th, 2013 8:01 PM

These are gr8!~*

And I’ve been looking for a lovely vegan and cruelty-free black lip color for ages! Definitely buying the one you use in this video. Love this series.