Style

Flowery and Frida-esque

She was an artist, an intellectual, a revolutionary…and a style icon of the highest order.

Frida Kahlo was an artist, an intellectual, and a revolutionary whose work in the first half of the 20th century made her arguably the most famous Mexican woman painter of all time. We’ll tell you more about her life and work tomorrow here on Rookie. Today, I want to focus on Frida’s amazing, one-of-a-kind style—specifically, her HAIR.

Frida wore her thick hair in braids that she intertwined with colorful ribbons and yarn, then piled onto her head and adorned with fresh flowers. Yup, she was doing flower crowns before any of us even existed.

While I possess neither Frida’s luxurious locks nor her top-notch braiding skills, I can do my best to reflect a little bit of her glory. Here’s a tutorial to help you pay homage to her, too.

What you’ll need:

• Hair that’s long enough to braid
  • A fine-tooth comb
  • A few feet of ribbon or yarn, in any color and thickness you like
  • A bunch of bobby pins
  • Two hair elastics
  • U-shaped hair pins, like these from Sally Beauty
  • Hairspray (optional)
  • Fake flowers with wire stems, available from the dollar store (or a flower crown like the ones in this tutorial).

Step One

Part your hair in the middle with the fine-tooth comb and, following the video in my Romeo + Juliet–inspired halo-braid tutorial, make two tiny French braids along your hairline, from the part to the tops of your ears. Secure the braids with bobby pins. Leave the bottom portion of that braided hair loose for now.

Step Two

Take two strands of ribbon or yarn, about three feet long each, and loop them both into the curved end of one of your bobby pins.

Step Three

Secure the bobby pin, with the ribbon or yarn hanging from it, right behind one of your French braids, an inch or do from your center part. Now unpin your braids and start French-braiding the loose portion on one side, from the top of your ear to the nape of your neck, adding in the ribbon/yarn, and more hair, as you go. This might take a few tries—be patient! The key is to add hair to your braid evenly and gradually as you move down and back along your hairline, and to add the ribbon/yarn strands in early, but not all at once—ideally you’ll have at least one strand in each of the three main sections of hair you’re braiding.

Step Four
When you get to the nape of your neck on one side, braid the rest of the hair into a regular braid and secure the end with an elastic.

Step Five
Repeat steps 2-4 on the other side.

Step Six

Pull your braids up onto the top of your head—depending on how long your hair is, you might have to let them cross at the nape of your neck and wrap around the opposite sides of your head. Grab your U-shaped hairpins and start pinning the braids flat against your head by sticking each pin halfway into a braid, pushing it in slightly toward your scalp, turning it 180 degrees, and then pushing it all the way in. Keep doing this with as many pins as it takes for the braids to feel like they’re not gonna fall. (This might take some practice, too, but you’ll get the hang of it.) Spray the whole situation with a little hairspray if you want extra anti-gravity powers.

Step Seven

Trim the wire stems on your fake flowers to about 1.5 inches in length. Insert the stems all along your hairline in the front, and bend the wires so they’re gripping your hair. (You can use fresh flowers like Frida did, but they don’t have those convenient wire stems.) Or, if you’ve already made a flower crown, just pop it on top of your braids!

And there you go! You’ve got yourself a festive and colorful hairdo fit for a surrealist queen. Now pile on your jewelry and lace, and get ready to paint your next masterpiece. ♦

• catpower44 December 11th, 2012 7:08 PM

I love Frida so much! Have you seen the movie? I loved it! Awesome tutorial, but my hair is waaay too short! That’s ok though. Whenever I wear one of my flower crowns to school, my art teacher calls me Frida! :)

• Eryn December 11th, 2012 7:09 PM

This is amazing. I’m doing a project largely on her right now. I read that the way she braided her hair at a given time reflected her current status with Diego Rivera.
    I love her so much!

• Juli December 11th, 2012 11:18 PM

Agh. I wish I could do a project on her. You’re so lucky! :)

• VeronicaLake December 11th, 2012 7:14 PM

“I don’t like the gringos at all. They are very boring and all have faces like unbaked rolls.” -Frida herself.

psst don’t be using her as a costume ok no discussion. Especially not white kids.

• sneakybacon December 11th, 2012 7:40 PM

charming.

• Maya Chimera December 11th, 2012 8:09 PM

There is not one transcendent way of looking at things, which is why I think there should ALWAYS be discussion.

Frida is not a ‘costume’ to me, but I don’t really understand how your conclusion follows from the quote you posted.

Chimera

• Ladymia69 December 11th, 2012 8:38 PM

I mean, I understand your concern of cultural appropriation of her image, which I am sure she would abhor as well, but you could have made an interesting argument or remark rather than that strange run-on sentence with dubious inferences. And by the way, before you go believing everything you read on tumblr or twitter or whatever, read this:

• Yasmin December 11th, 2012 10:18 PM

Thanks for the nice proof and context!! I hate when things get misconstrued over the course of their million rebloggings.

• sneakybacon December 11th, 2012 8:44 PM

and on top of that, yes she may have said that at one point but it’s clearly not true for her whole life. this is a woman who has lived in both new york and paris, who was a leading figure in helping trotsky and the russian revolutionaries on top of being close friends with many european surrealists. this is not a woman who despised people from other cultures

• ladyjenna December 11th, 2012 8:55 PM

What the heck?? Umm this was clearly appreciating her style as opposed to appropriating fridaness… Can we not dress up as beyonce unless we’re black?? What exactly is the issue here?

• Moxx December 11th, 2012 10:18 PM

The only “source” I get for this quote is tumble, which is not a source since it’s a blogging platform. As the person above me said, that sounds extremely unlikely given who she was, what she did, and what she stood for.

P.S. Emulating someone’s style is not the same as using their costume as a culture. You have a style and way of being which may very well be connected to your culture, but you are not your culture and only your culture and nothing else. You are also an individual.

E eu nem sou um gringo ofendido.

• Moxx December 11th, 2012 10:19 PM

*tumblr, not tumble

• jessica j December 11th, 2012 11:59 PM

This was something that Frida did say, and it was commonly known that she hated her time in America and France, and held a lot of contempt (rightly so!) for “gringos.” You can see it in the movie Frida, made about her life, as well as in biographies. A quick google search doesn’t dismiss fact.

• Anaheed December 12th, 2012 12:34 AM

I mean, cultural appropriation is a huge subject whose importance I appreciate, but I think interrogating quotes from individual people to discern their “personal feelings” about this or that group is kinda missing the forest for the trees.

• unefillecommetoi December 12th, 2012 6:23 AM

That movie is highly distorting the character of Frida and it was ADAPTED from her biography with many historical inaccuracies. Most mexicans (like me) I know who are familiar with Frida’s life can even stand (like me) her overreacted portrayal on that movie. Made by hollywood by the way. Frida was an important character so basing your opinions and image of her in a badly reconstructed movie and a tumblr quote to attack other people and start an agument on cultural appropriation is just a waste of energy. Come on!! And I agree with Anaheed too.

• madame_addie December 13th, 2012 2:55 PM

You can’t take that movie as a reference of her life facts, that’s an awful movie made by gringos by the way, with a huge historical inaccuracy, mate.

• marj0 December 12th, 2012 10:56 AM

She said that about those high society-capitalism people (and I don’t think those people are on Rookie…)and she was very homesick in America… Dr Eloesser (her docter for the longest time and also a really good friend of her) was an american. A lot of her friends were american or from Europe too.

So I think you don’t have enough knowledge to say that Frida hated ‘Gringos’. Read Frida by H. Herrera and gain REAL facts about her instead of spreading that hate!

• LB December 11th, 2012 7:19 PM

I love it!

• DreamBoat December 11th, 2012 7:31 PM

This is rad! I actually did the Frida braids for a play I was in, and they are fantastic! And the costume designer said I looked just like Frida, which made me really happy <3

Plus Frida is my goddess. Her artwork/life is tragic and beautiful and wonderful. Her artwork is really something you can relate to– feeling alone in pain. Anyways, this is awesome and I can't wait to read tomorrow's article! <3 <3

• marineo December 11th, 2012 8:17 PM

I find it kind of odd that the hair tutorial was released today, but the article on her isn’t until tomorrow?
    That seems kind of reductive.
    And how is this not cultural appropriation?
    I love you Rookie, but sometime you massively confuse me.

• estefa December 11th, 2012 8:40 PM

I think is fair to address that Frida was inspired by Mexican indigenous women, they have braided their hair like that long before you,me even she was born…..Moreover she was inspired/took from indigenous women the dresses, jewelry etc…so yeah Mexican indigenous women have great taste.

• Ladymia69 December 11th, 2012 8:44 PM

It isn’t cultural appropriation when you simply take inspiration from someone’s hairstyle, whether they are Chicano, Italian, or from Lesbos. :)

• Kasey December 11th, 2012 8:51 PM

I don’t necessarily think it’s cultural appropriation if you’re imitating a specific (not to mention famous) person’s style. But then again, I still have a lot to fully grasp about where the cultural-appropriation-line is drawn. Use with discretion?

• Anaheed December 11th, 2012 9:07 PM

This was supposed to run on Thurs but a Vimeo glitch messed up the thing that was supposed to run at 7 today so we had to slot this in as an emergency replacement. But thanks for the vote of confidence!

• katharine December 11th, 2012 8:41 PM

Copying one person’s style isn’t cultural appropriation, it’s… personal appropriation? Which I don’t think is as large of a problem. Also, about the gringo quote, it’s important to remember that she was half-German, though she identified more strongly with her Mexican ancestry.

• Kathryn December 11th, 2012 8:51 PM

AMAZING!!

marineo, I don’t think that this braid/flower combo can be considered cultural appropriation, since it’s not really specific to a culture, but specific to one person.

• whitecatfish December 11th, 2012 8:59 PM

These are very super rad

• FlowerPower December 11th, 2012 9:06 PM

I braided my hair in milkmaid braid today and loved how it looked. I wanted to look for more ways I could braid my hair into an updo, but I shall look no further! Thanks:)
    ~Caroline~

• Kathryn December 11th, 2012 11:06 PM

I wish my hair was long enough to do milkmaid braids, pigtail braids, and THIS. :(

• Adrienne December 11th, 2012 9:20 PM

Love this! Too bad I have layers and short-ish hair.. :(

• kati December 11th, 2012 9:42 PM

I’m a latina and it feels kinda weird seeing this in a white girl, isn’t this cultural appropiation?
    I mean, it’s not just frida’s hairstyle. Frida just really liked traditional mexican clothes and hair, and this is a traditional mexican hair.

• Anaheed December 11th, 2012 10:16 PM

Flowers, ribbons, and braids have been worn in hairstyles by people across cultures for millennia. Frida’s style was unique in so many ways; I don’t think it serves anybody to say that she was just wearing what all Mexican women were doing at the time. That’s really reducing what was a singular, beautiful, purposeful style of self-presentation—by a visual artist, no less—to unthinking assimilation.

• estefa December 11th, 2012 10:31 PM

I totally agree with you about self re/presentation and the uniqueness of Frida buuuuuuut she did took a lot from indigenous Mexican women, from the clothes to the hairstyle. I think it is important to acknowledge it.

• Anaheed December 11th, 2012 10:39 PM

Yes, this is a fair point.

• Moxx December 11th, 2012 10:22 PM

Why must everything be about assimilation when it’s not even?????
    I had literally never heard of this until I moved her I can’t even can’t even can’t even why why why
    This is why we can’t have nice things seriously though come on people

• Moxx December 11th, 2012 10:56 PM

My comment was published but now it is not published??

• Teez December 11th, 2012 11:09 PM

not for gringos pls

• Bianca December 11th, 2012 11:14 PM

Thanks for this easy to follow Frida-inspired hair tutorial Hannah! Looking forward to trying it this weekend when I get some ‘me’ time.

As for the comments on cultural appropriation…you guys may find this article interesting:

“Although Kahlo forged her own distinctive look, it was inspired significantly by the couple’s commitment to the indigenous people and folk traditions of Mexico. But while Rivera enjoyed pointing out Kahlo’s un-bourgeois, “primitive” personality, she had a relatively small claim to being indigenous. Her father, Guillermo Kahlo, was a German-born Hungarian Jewish photographer. Her mother, Matilde Calderon, who wore flapper dresses and other European styles, was half Spanish, half indigenous. As a teenager, Kahlo slicked her hair back and wore a man’s suit for a family portrait – an early example of her willingness to dress a part – but mostly she wore conventional 1920s styles.”

I think it’s a beautiful thing to be inspired by, and share, culture. Aren’t we all connected? Aren’t we all part of the same race, the human race?

• Kathryn December 11th, 2012 11:36 PM

I kinda agree with you there. I think there’s a little bit of a difference between, say, wearing a Native American headdress and putting pretty ribbons and flowers in your braids. Especially since this is the sort of thing that seems like it could easily become popular in another area, independently of itself? If that makes sense? Especially since, to my knowledge, there isn’t a sacred or religious meaning behind it– it’s just something that looks beautiful. I may be wrong on this… thoughts?

• NinaDeHorchata December 12th, 2012 1:44 AM

Well, it’s not sacred, but this hairstyle comes specifically from a group of people (Tarahumaras) where the women take a “stronger” position, this means that they lead this tribe(?). So, Frida took this hairstyle to make a statement: that she was also a strong woman.

ps: i know this because i’m mexican and i’m a big fan of Frida too

• Teez December 11th, 2012 11:54 PM

in answer to ‘aren’t we all part of the same race, the human race?’

no. just no.

• Loops December 11th, 2012 11:16 PM

Who cares if a white girl wants to wear her hair in a style that originated from Mexico? Is nobody supposed to wear their hair in a certain way unless the hairstyle and the person come from the same country? It’s not as if that hairstyle was of huge cultural significance.

• jenaimarley December 11th, 2012 11:20 PM

Aww my mom would always do my hair like this! Also FRIDA IS SO AWESOME. Love love love

• Teez December 11th, 2012 11:25 PM

i personally don’t agree with trying to copy frida’s style so overtly. obviously frida doesn’t hold the monopoly on flowers or ribbons, that would be ridiculous but to copy her hairstyle to the t in a costume-y kinda way if you are white is a big no-no in my opinion. it’s kind of on a ‘white-people-with-dreads’ level for me. it makes me balk and generally want to avoid the person.

• reina December 13th, 2012 3:48 AM

this ^
      can we be friends?

• firky December 11th, 2012 11:37 PM

you got me at the “hair that’s long enough to braid” part. :(

• jessica j December 12th, 2012 12:10 AM

I think a lot of people voicing discomfort with this post should be carefully considered, not dismissed or explained away as it kind of seems like is happening. Nobody from Rookie has to be all “Oh I’m sorry I’m the worst racist ever and this is terrible!” Is this the most racist, appropriative thing ever? Maybe not but I can’t say because I’m white and not an authority, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be critiqued.

Rookie has, and continued to make mistakes, and it doesn’t mean you’re the worst website ever, but I think there’s a trend of being consistently problematic about things like appropriation and centering HARD around whiteness and white beauty ideals. And on that front, this is just more of the same.

I see a lot of people of color on many corners of the internet writing about feeling alienated from Rookie and gravitating more to less white-centric things like the Untitled Mag instead, and I feel like Rookie is giving them good reason to.

• Anaheed December 12th, 2012 1:16 AM

Hey, Jessica. I am really not trying to dismiss or explain away anything. Rookie has its share of shortcomings, and we’ve owned up to them in the past and will continue to try to fix them. One of them is that it has taken us a really long time to diversify our staff to anywhere near our liking, and hence for our content to reflect that diversity.

In this case, though, I personally just disagree with you. I’m not speaking for every single Rookie staffer—and I guarantee you there are some who probably agree with you—but just because I don’t think it’s disrespectful to Mexican culture for a white girl to put ribbons and flowers in her braids, doesn’t mean I’m being defensive about being “the worst racist ever” nor that I’m claiming victim status. I believe that reasonable human beings can sincerely listen to one another and still respectfully disagree sometimes. We posted a seven-page article about cultural appropriation last month; do you really think we don’t think or care about that subject?

As the very first paragraph of this post states, we’re putting up a much more thorough article about Kahlo tomorrow. And, as I clarified in the comments, this one wasn’t slated to go before that one, but had to because of a last-minute scheduling hole.

The last thing we would want is for anyone to feel alienated from this website. I’m sure you’re tired of our reiterating how much we encourage submissions from readers, and I’m sure you understand that as an independent publication that just entered its second year of existence, we’re not always going to be perfect. Sometimes we’ll mess up, and sometimes we’ll do things that you disagree with. We’ll apologize for our missteps and respectfully hear you out when we disagree. If that’s not enough for you, fair enough—thanks for being honest.

• jessica j December 12th, 2012 1:49 AM

I think you could be reading into more than I said. I didn’t say nobody at Rookie cares, I’m saying you have some comments here that raise good points. And I hope they’ll be considered than just disagreeing with them.

It’s fine to mess up, accountability for mistakes is all that I hope for. I get that I’m a person who can be critical in the comments of the things that Rookie does, and I bet that’s annoying, but I like this site for the most part and I want to continue visiting.

One of the tough things about this post is that girls of color aren’t super often represented on this site, and then we have a take of Frida’s iconic style, but worn on a white girl. Is this totally terrible in itself? Nah, but stacked up with a lot of other things happening culturally like appropriation, whitewashing of celebrities for magazine covers, etc. it all adds up. A lot of the times things aren’t seen as “cool” until the white mainstream decides it (bindis, soymilk like Jenny said in the appropriation article, day of the dead imagery, etc.) and I wonder if that’s been happening with Frida lately.

I try to be thoughtful and not snarky in my comments, I just wanted to emphasize that there are people who think maybe this post is kind of icky. And I for one just wanted to back them up and say I think that’s totally valid.

• Anaheed December 12th, 2012 2:02 AM

I definitely consider your criticisms valid, as well as everyone else’s, and I’m glad you feel comfortable sharing them with us. We always read them and think and talk about them and respond to them when it feels right to. So, thank you.

• NinaDeHorchata December 12th, 2012 1:36 AM

IM MEXICAN & IM GLAD YOU DID THIS, ROOKIE. Many people think we still ride horses and everything’s dirty and we all wear big sombreros, so it’s kind of nice that non-mexican people get to see how cool we actually are ;)

If someday you guys come to Mexico, be sure to visit her house. Now it’s a museum and its a-w-e-s-o-m-e.

• Violet December 12th, 2012 5:13 PM

hum, Frida is Frida.
      She’s not the entire country. She’s awesome because she’s herself.

I’m sure Mexico today has tons of reason to be cool that are not footballteaming a lady who btw died sixty years ago. :)

• Mary the freak December 12th, 2012 1:37 AM

I cannot even tell how much I love this. This is the best tutorial I have ever seen. I think it will look cool with peachy hair, too (coming soon). THANK YOU <33

Ps: I am going to write the worst math test ever, I don't think I'll be better than an e. But this made my day.

• Hayley G. December 12th, 2012 1:53 AM

I feel like Frida would get a kick out of all of this. Honestly, she’d probably be thrilled to see so many young women debating on her behalf.

• Marie December 12th, 2012 1:57 AM

You’re purdy <3

• lize December 12th, 2012 5:22 AM

This is very cute, but also very hypocritical. I can’t believe Rookie posted this after the rant on cultural approbation. Frankly I don’t have any issues with this or cultural approbation, but stick to your believes Rookie!

• unefillecommetoi December 12th, 2012 6:14 AM

I LIVE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD WHERE SHE USED TO LIVE!! Viva México (:

• enchantedviolin December 12th, 2012 7:16 AM

I studied Frida for my art A-Level. I originally wasn’t that interested but the more I learnt the more I found her to be unique and inspiring.

I’ve worn braids in various ways since I’ve had hair long enough to a) because it is sensible for a working enviroment, b) it is relevant to my German traveller background (my father was big in reminding me about where I came from) and c) it is part of my identity now.

I don’t think it’s offensive for a girl to emulate a hero from another culture if that is what the person is to her – a hero and role model. I think you have a right to be offended if you feel she is doing it purely as a fashion statement. What offends me about some of these comments is the idea that wearing braids on your head is a purely Mexican thing. That offends me. There is a difference between stealing from a culture and being positively influenced by one…especially when more than one culture may share the same aspect.

• Elizabete December 12th, 2012 7:28 AM

The discussion about cultural appropriation is ridiculous. I wish i hadn’t read the comments because i would have never ever thought that something is wrong.

First of all it’s inspired by Frida Kahlo not Mexican culture as a whole, secondly, such hairstyles are traditional for many countries, Ukraine, for example, even Ukrainian politician Yulia Timoshenko wears such braid daily, without flowers though. Also, i don’t see anything weird about the gorgeous Hannah doing this tutorial, as far as i know rookie is open to any submissions and if you think there are too little POC in staff, then simply submit by yourself :)

Maybe i just don’t understand American culture as i’m from Eastern Europe and living in white privilege bubble, but when jessica j said that non-whites aren’t often represented on this website, i clicked on tag “photo album” and from the last 5 albums one didn’t show faces of models, so it’s hard to say, but 3 had ONLY non-white models and one had just one white model…

• Pen Elope December 12th, 2012 2:06 PM

Yes, I also thought of Yulia Tymoshenko and the hair styles worn with traditional costumes in Bavaria.
      Being from Europe myself I had never even heard about cultural appropriation before.

• Helenus December 12th, 2012 11:25 AM

I don’t really understand why braids, ribbons, or flowers in someone’s hair could be offensive. That hairstyle isn’t exclusive to the Mexican culture. Chill out, people!

• Violet December 12th, 2012 5:18 PM

I think people are uncomfortable not about dressing up like Frida, but because Rookie today is celebrating a lady who seems to have created her style through ‘cultural appropriation’, an act which was condemned very harshly a few days before on Rookie.

• Emelie December 12th, 2012 11:15 PM

Hey Violet!
        I think there are a lot of threads running through these comments, but you’ve definitely identified an important one. The thing I love about Frida Kahlo (among many things) is that she’s a really complex figure who forces me to rethink some of my existing frameworks about something like cultural appropriation.

Frida Kahlo was of Hungarian, German, Spanish, and indigenous Mexican descent; I believe she carried a Mexican passport. She was also a committed Communist who believed in solidarity with an oppressed peasant class. Orthodox Marxism believes that class divisions are more important than national or cultural divisions, and wearing peasant garb or the clothing usually worn by urban workers was a way for Marxists who didn’t come from those groups to express their solidarity and their belief that proletarian or peasant culture was valuable.* I think it’s more interesting to explore her clothing as an expression of her complex commitments–artistic, intellectual, cultural, familial, and ideological.

One thing I found frustrating in the cultural appropriation discussion a few weeks ago was that there wasn’t a lot of recognition of the complexity of our cultural allegiances, and that there seemed to be a lot of assuming that people identified as one “thing,” and that nationality = culture = ethnicity. While it might be pretty straightforward for some people, it’s not for others.

*Marxism is waaay more complicated than that, and also not particularly internally consistent. But I think the points are salient here.

• Violet December 13th, 2012 3:21 AM

Hi Emelie!
          Couldn’t agree with you more.

Basically by being a bit too categorical and white-knightish about cultural appropriation, I think Rookie put itself on a slippery slope where a lot of its future moves will be scrutinized under this light (especially articles about style).

In my view it is very hard of a position to hold, and the comments are showing the cracks – which is healthy. :)

• camille December 13th, 2012 1:57 PM

Hi Emelie,
          You explained my very thoughts in a much more concise and coherent manner than I could have. I do wish the discussion on cutural appropriation could get another post of its own, because I feel Rookie only brushed the surface and that many people are only starting to get to understand how complex a subject it is. Cultural appropriation is a fairly recent notion (in terms of terminology and public awareness), and the more we discuss its nuances and subtleties, the more we can get towards a better understanding of it, and perhaps eventually hope to reach a fair consensus.

• estefa December 12th, 2012 1:16 PM

Me as a Mexican I do NOT feel offended by this in anyway, but then again I am not indigenous so there you go. I just think it is important to give some context and background about Frida’s style, because she did took a lot from Mexican indigenous women, just by acknowledging it, gives a wider more complete understanding of Frida’s life and style AND more importantly it is a great opportunity to know different aspects of other cultures that otherwise people wouldn’t know about.

• Pauletta December 12th, 2012 1:18 PM

I’m also Mexican and when I see the admiration people of other countries have for Frida or for any other element of Mexican culture, I feel very happy. We Mexicans generally do not feel that awe and respect for it. For example, in metropolitan areas in Mexico you would not see a teeanage girl wearing an indigenous hair style like this. People think it’s tacky, or inelegant and thus will not use it. It’s a shame, because it’s part of who we are. Maybe if we see the appreciation that others have for our culture, then we will start to appreciate it ourselves.

• jack rabbit December 12th, 2012 2:05 PM

i wonder at what point one can be considered to be irresponsibly appropriating a culture that they themselves arguably hold a claim to? (this is definitely more appropriate for the article on cultural appropriation, but this conversation is happening here.) in light of the quote that bianca posted above:

i have four different friends who all have latina grandmothers. their other three grandparents are european-american. none of them identify as latin@, and don’t really feel it’s appropriate to do so, given their overwhelmingly white american upbringing and appearance. that said, their grandmothers did help raise them, spoke spanish to them, made traditional food, etc.

of course my friends don’t represent everyone in that situation. this is less a question and more an out-loud rumination on what pieces of our cultural history make it into our personal history, whatever our culture is.

• SweetSarahO December 12th, 2012 5:52 PM

Wow. There’s a lot of interesting comments up there. All I’d like to say, this being a hair tutorial after all, is that it’s a lovely hairstyle and you look beautiful Hannah! I wear my hair like this often because my hair is super thick and this keeps it out of my face. And hey, Frida is awesome too, so why not?

• glitterliver December 12th, 2012 6:09 PM

Seems like that gringo quote is more anti-boring than anti-white, anyway.

• simplebutchic December 12th, 2012 8:30 PM

This is so pretty!

• madame_addie December 13th, 2012 3:13 PM

I find funny how most of the people complaining in the comments about how it’s “racist” and all those things aren’t even Mexican, whilst us Mexican people just feel really proud Rookie acknowledges the influence of ancient Mexican cultures in Frida’s style, and not feel offended at all.
    I honestly don’t care if it’s a white girl or a black girl who’s doing this tutorial as long as the information they provide is rightful and make a good point.

• paarka December 15th, 2012 12:49 AM

Yeah. I’d be willing to wager that most of the people complaining are not POC. The complaints are really coming off as “white people trying really hard to prove they’re not racists,” and it’s kind of off-putting. Cultural appropriation exists, but you should be knowledgeable about your objections, and express those objections clearly, instead of just using ‘cultural appropriation!’ as a hot-button phrase to get yourself some brownie points as a concerned white person.

• Violet December 15th, 2012 5:36 PM

I loooove that comment. Was trying to formulate this so hard in my head without finding the right words, thank you paarka!!!

• Lynvine December 13th, 2012 4:31 PM

“‘white-people-with-dreads’ level for me. it makes me balk and generally want to avoid the person.”
    I’m kind of offended at this. My brother lives in his car, and is trying to save up money for an apartment. He doesn’t have the time or energy to take care of his hair, and it has naturally formed dreads. There is no approbation involved, that’s just the way his hair grows without conditioner or combing.

• Teez December 13th, 2012 6:15 PM

unkempt hair and dreads/locs are not the same thing.

• paarka December 15th, 2012 12:45 AM

Really? I don’t see this on the level of ‘white people with dreads’ at all, but the criticism of that hairstyle is that it’s a fetishization of black culture. You can be ok with white dreads, whatever, but you brother could also just cut his hair with a pair of $2 scissors in a handheld mirror every once and awhile.

• whodatgal December 14th, 2012 4:07 AM

It’s really interesting reading through all these comments. Everyone has such different views

• justsomeone December 15th, 2012 2:47 AM

Beautiful. Such a hairstyle is the life and soul of summer.

• crapbag December 16th, 2012 10:57 PM

Wouldn’t all the world’s hairstyles be wasted had they only been restricted to the continent of it’s origin??

• StrawberryTwist January 13th, 2013 2:57 PM

These flower crowns are so beautiful and can be designed according to your style, which is so unique. I love it!

• Cutesycreator aka Monica May 4th, 2013 6:47 AM