Everything else

Saturday Links: Giving Thanks Edition

And thinking about Thanksgiving.

Jenny
For those of us living in the U.S., Thursday was Thanksgiving, which, depending on how you see it, is either a day of glorious feasting with family and giving thanks for your blessings, or a celebration of the all-too-convenient myth of friendship that erases and distorts America’s history of the occupation and genocide of Native peoples and their land. In case you can’t tell, I fall on the wet-blanket side of things. And don’t even get me started on the idea of reserving one day out of the year to “give thanks” and spend time with our family while often ignoring and forgetting the very people who make our gluttony possible. But I know my extreme side-eye is tedious and a mega-downer for folks who enjoy the spirit of Thanksgiving, and so this year I’m trying to include some hope in my never ending disgust and it starts with this article from the Huffington Post. Rev. Dr. Randy S. Woodley does a pretty good job unpacking the myth of Thanksgiving and why, if we are set on perpetuating this myth, let’s at least do it right. Says Woodley, “The holiday can also be used as a grand myth or metaphor of hospitality to the poor, the disenfranchised, the new immigrant and those who we consider ‘the other.’ People throughout the whole world who have been the recipients of the devastation brought on by the dominant myth of colonialism and unfair capital theft should be invited to Thanksgiving tables everywhere in order to cultivate new friendships.” I’ll raise my glass to that!

Indian Country Today Media Network (ICTMT) has a cool round-up of their favorite Thanksgiving memes. The first one is especially touching, and the Carley Rae Jepsen spoof would be hilarz had it not actually gone down that way…

On Black Friday, Walmart workers across 1,000 stores went on strike. As teens, maybe discussions about jobs and employment seem too distant to be relevant to you, but in a couple of years, you will be entering the work force, and I hope, hope, hope by then, most of you won’t have staggering amounts of student loans to pay off. I hope, hope, hope all of you can find decent, dignified work that offers safe working conditions, freedom from sexual harassment and intimidation, a living wage, and gosh, let’s just throw in affordable healthcare into that extra-hopeful list! Well, Walmart employees are fighting for their rights to those exact things and more. This article explains why the strike is happening, and why it’s good to disrupt rampant, unchecked consumerism with a resounding cry for better working conditions.

And here’s a video of Walmart employees explaining why they are striking!

Also, remember when Frank Ocean came out on Tumblr with the most tenderly written letter about his first love, a 19-year-old boy, and the years of heartache, disappointment, confusion, and darkness that followed? Well, he gets into it again in this GQinterview, where he talks about crying the night he posted it. It’s an amazing interview. I especially loved what he said about struggling to reconcile his love for his musical heroes with the homophobia that came outta their mouths:

In black music, we’ve got so many leaps and bounds to make with acceptance and tolerance in regard to that issue. It reflects something just ingrained, you know? When I was growing up, there was nobody in my family—not even my mother—who I could look to and be like, “I know you’ve never said anything homophobic.” So, you know, you worry about people in the business who you’ve heard talk that way. Some of my heroes coming up talk recklessly like that. It’s tempting to give those views and words—that ignorance—more attention than they deserve.

Anna
If you fell in love with Vogue‘s creative director Grace Coddington while watching The September Issue, you’d be interested in knowing that she recently released a memoir. Sarah Nicole Prickett writes about Coddington and her romantic streak at Hazlitt Magazine.

Emma D.

I’ve never heard a single song by One Direction, and I only know about their existence because of Tavi’s editor’s letter and readers’ emotional response in the comments section, but this photo editorial KILLED ME. And the It’s Nice That description GETS THE POINT (as brillantly as always). These photos made me want to at least TRY to listen to their music, and that’s really something.

Caitlin
I’m a huge fan of photo booths and any kind of instant photo, but getting an (almost instant) plastic figurine of yourself is CRAZY. I don’t know whether to love it, or hate it because of (a) the price, (b) the fact I’ll probably never stumble upon a booth, and (c) the creepiness of the whole idea. But just imagine the cuteness possibilities of being able to carry around a little model of your loved one, or of yourself frozen at a certain time in a certain outfit…wooooah.

Anaheed
I have a chronically ill dog who happens to be going through some particularly tough stuff this week. So when I read this letter that Fiona Apple posted to her Facebook, explaining that she was canceling her South American tour to stay home with her dying dog, Janet, while my own sick dog was sleeping next to me…you can imagine my reaction. The part that really killed me: “I will not be the woman who puts her career ahead of love & friendship. I am the woman who stays home, baking tilapia for my dearest, oldest friend. And helps her be comfortable & comforted & safe & important.” I mean, to help a helpless creature feel important–is there anything more generous or humane? This week I am thankful for my dog, and for Fiona Apple’s gigantic heart.

I don’t know who you are, @yuripdes, but we share interests:

Tavi
ROBERT PATTINSON YOU AMAZING TROLL WITH A DEVILISH GRIN THAT COLLAPSES BEAUTIFULLY INTO SEEMINGLY GENUINE LAUGHTER AS IF YOU’RE SURPRISED AT YOUR OWN HATRED OF THE WORLD.

I have nothing against Twilight fans, I just love a “this world is bullshit!” moment. Pattinson makes self-deprecation an art form, and strips acting of any credibility it has as an art form. I also highly recommend looking through the entire archives of both of these Tumblrs.

In other Twilight news, one of my favorite bloggers, Meagan, wrote a wonderful love letter to Kristen Stewart’s style, bitchfacing, and general demeanor. Please mark today on my calendar as the day I fell in love with them both. ♦

• vintagewhimsy November 24th, 2012 12:20 PM

Oh my gosh, Robert. You can’t just laugh at the end of Twilight!

• Serena.K November 24th, 2012 12:59 PM

this is like the best bunch of links yet. the rpattz montage made my day, and i always love reading jenny’s commentary. also, ONE DIRECTION WITH PUPPIES??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

• spudzine November 24th, 2012 1:01 PM

I really appreciated this week’s Saturday Links, mainly because I feel like laughing and crying-all at the same time. I squealed when I saw the picture of One Direction, and the Ghost World nails. I felt like crying because of dying dogs, and the issues Walmart workers face. Good job Rookie!

• Martinapovolo November 24th, 2012 1:13 PM

I want to fuck Edward Cullen’s brains out

• Jes November 24th, 2012 1:41 PM

^This is my favorite comment I’ve seen on Rookie yet.

• Anaheed November 24th, 2012 8:49 PM

mine too

• Martinapovolo November 24th, 2012 9:35 PM

that’s funny, i was sure if y’all would publish it

• sloththefifth November 24th, 2012 1:20 PM

I don’t know why but every part of this post made my heart sing. There is something fantastically comforting to stumble into a place where people care about the same stuff as you. Thank god rookie mag exists!

• bookworm123 November 24th, 2012 1:21 PM

I just discovered the first RPatz tumblr you linked to a few days ago, oh my gosh he is just too much. I…I don’t even know he is just the best.
    *p.s. the link to rpatzhateshislife.tumblr.com is broken*

• roosa November 24th, 2012 1:45 PM

http://kstewarts.tumblr.com/tagged/ftaecm oh my too good I can’t take it. have to watch all the twilight movies on dvd with commentaries now. also, one direction and puppies!!! enough said.

• Maddy November 24th, 2012 1:47 PM

Yo, Rookie, what’s up with the submissions(at)rookiemag.com? I just tried to send something and got a “Mail Delivery Failed”. :(

Also, the link in the blue box for submissions links to “submission(at)rookiemag.com”.

• Anaheed November 24th, 2012 8:48 PM

submission@ and submissions@ are both correct — they go to the same inbox. But I don’t know why you got a failure message — the box isn’t full and we’ve been getting emails all day. What else did the failure message say? Did it give a reason?

• Maddy November 24th, 2012 10:01 PM

Weird. Um, it was a bunch of mumbo jumbo:

Technical details of permanent failure:
        Message rejected by Google Groups. Please visit http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188131 to review our Bulk Email Senders Guidelines.

—– Original message —–

Received: by 10.204.147.5 with SMTP id j5mr2117897bkv.49.1353782734991;
        Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45:34 -0800 (PST)
        Received: by 10.204.147.5 with SMTP id j5mr2117895bkv.49.1353782734882;
        Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45:34 -0800 (PST)
        Return-Path:
        Received: from mail-bk0-f43.google.com (mail-bk0-f43.google.com [209.85.214.43])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id jd12si12075509bkc.18.2012.11.24.10.45.34
        (version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=OTHER);
        Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45:34 -0800 (PST)

with a bunch of other stuff.

• Maddy November 24th, 2012 10:02 PM

PS I just sent it to anaheed@ with a little note explaining.

• Anaheed November 25th, 2012 5:45 PM

Looks like Google thought your email was spam, for some reason. Did you send the same submission to a bunch of places at once?

• Miss Erin November 24th, 2012 1:58 PM

Thank you for the Frank Ocean links; I hadn’t actually read his letter and it’s beautiful and I needed to read it. And the GQ interview is great, too.

• Chimdi November 24th, 2012 2:52 PM

ZAYN

• RockHatesMiriam November 24th, 2012 4:38 PM

TAVI you read my mind! I’ve been watching that RPatz video all week now haha :’)

• Kathryn November 24th, 2012 5:39 PM

when ever I see robert pattinson being hilarious and hating twilight on my tumblr feed i laugh for like 10 minutes straight

• Resh November 24th, 2012 5:54 PM

Gawwwd, my shoulder hurts: I entered Rookie and saw ZAYN THERE and fell off my desk chair…

You people are evil

but I LOVE that One Direction is appearing more each time around here (: (e.g. Deb & Mitch *.*)

THANK YOU TAVI, YOU’RE GETTING THE TEAM INTO THEIR BRITISH POCKETS AT LAST!!!

• Laura Lemon November 24th, 2012 6:17 PM

Robert’s response to the end of Twilight is particularly amusing after having watched some interviews of him after the release of Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire… CEEEDDRRRIIIIIICCCC!!!!!

• GlitterKitty November 24th, 2012 6:30 PM

One Direction with puppies is pretty much the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. Ever.

• victoria November 24th, 2012 7:29 PM

OMG omg OMG i luvvvvv <3 RPatz just because he is so good in the interviews. And KStew is awesome too.

• Guinevere November 24th, 2012 8:07 PM

The whole plastic figurine thing. SO COOL I WANT ONE. Now only if I lived in Hong Kong and the figurines were cheaper….

• TessaTheTeenageWitch November 24th, 2012 9:04 PM

Oh my god… I have new found appreciation for Robert Pattinson.

Also WHAT ARE YOU DOING ARE YOU TRYING TO LURE ME BACK INTO THE WORLD OF LAVA THAT IS THE ONE DIRECTION FANDOM. I used to be a hard-core directioner, but I fought hard and got through it. My friend and I (fellow ex directioner) call that period of our lives “The Dark Days”. AND NOW YOU ARE COAXING ME BACK.

• Malexandra November 24th, 2012 9:51 PM

I really appreciate Jenny’s thoughts about Thanksgiving. As uncomfortable and inconvenient as it may be for many Americans, I feel it is so important for us to reckon with our gross entitlement and myopic sense of history and national heritage. The links remind me of Stephen Colbert’s statement before congress concerning immigration and American farming. As per usual, Colbert is immensely satirical and sharp. It is definitely worth checking out: http://youtu.be/Di1LJbGEEtM

• AlisonR November 24th, 2012 10:28 PM

Thank you Jenny. You brought up a really taboo yet important subject in American culture and history. I applaud your bravery in bringing it to light, and hope that the Walmart workers will be successful in their plight for justice.

• LilySew November 24th, 2012 11:45 PM

I’ve been ignoring Twilight for so long but that Robert Pattinson video is hilarious and the Kristen blog post is hilarious too. Excuse me while i go and watch the Robert video over and over.

• boyfights November 25th, 2012 4:03 AM

GOD I love when links I’ve been emailing people all week turn up on Rookie’s round-up.

• emine November 25th, 2012 5:52 AM

“It’s a mixture of looking constipated and stoned. Which isn’t very hard to do.” OH MY GOD I FUCKING LOVE YOU

Robert Pattinson wins the Most Likely To Be A Douchebag but Turned Out To Be A Pretty Cool Guy Award

• Emmie November 25th, 2012 7:31 AM

Anaheed, I am so sorry about your dog. My friend just brought home his adorable new puppy, and it certainly put things in perspective for me. My dog is seven. Though she is thankfully healthy as far as we know, I also have started noticing how she’s aged. Of course it’s natural, but I still can’t help but wonder how my family will ever be able to cope without her. So thank you for writing about this. As a fellow dog-lover, I found it really touching.

• Anaheed November 25th, 2012 5:47 PM

It’s so weird, isn’t it, when something that you regarded as akin to a BABY for so long, because it is helpless and you have to do everything for it, starts to look old? And you realize that this “baby” is now old. It’s a real mind-bender.

<3 to you & your dog! Dogs are the best.

• Lascelles November 25th, 2012 8:13 AM

Rookie should write an article called “how to talk to a Directioner” because… there is a steep learning curve! I am still not sure I know what Nandos mean :D

• Lucy23 November 25th, 2012 8:49 AM

Robert Pattinson has redeemed himself lol

• a-anti-anticapitalista November 25th, 2012 9:26 AM

Jenny’s post <3 thank you.

Also, I have never watched any of the twilight movies and didn't know anything about robert pattinson but then i saw him on the daily show and was all "THIS GUY IS AWESOME", and then the other day i saw the page robertpattinsonhatestwilight or something like that and me and my boyfriend died, and now it makes me want to actually watch the movies to better appreciate how he hates on them. it's so funny. and i'd probably get into the movies because i'm the type of person who gets into anything cheesy and romantic no matter how bad it is.

• Claire November 25th, 2012 1:22 PM

So surprised to see that the subject of Grace Coddington hasn’t yet been commented upon! I absolutely fell in love with her after watching The September Issue, and I find it comforting that even after penning a memoir, she’s still very much an enigma. GRACE FOREVER.

• MissKnowItAll November 25th, 2012 8:05 PM

It’s not even funny how loudly I screamed when I saw the picture of One Direction.

• raggedyanarchy November 26th, 2012 11:57 AM

Robert Pattinson is hysterical. Like, I have never come across an actor who hates his role quite as much as he does. Except maybe for other Twilight actors.
    Ain’t nobody hate Twilight like the actors in Twilight.