Everything else

Saturday Links: Boy Meets World (Again) Edition

There’s so much to look forward to.

Hazel
Maddie of the blog Hexgrrrlfriend wrote this thought-provoking blog post about juggling her feminism with her desire for the male gaze. I think it’s a good example of how no feminist is perfect and a reminder that every feminist participates in/admires things that are traditionally “unfeminist.”

Danielle
While my feelings about Facebook are well documented, I might have found a tool to help make it a less invasive but still useful website for people who are reluctant to give it up entirely. Benjamin Grosser developed a tool called the Facebook Demetricator, a browser extension which removes all of those annoying little red boxes telling you how many messages and comments you have waiting for you, and just lets you do your thing. A lot of people resent the constant need to be on Facebook, particularly the way it encourages you to spend a lot of time replying to comments you would normally let slide; there’s a lot of pressure to be a part of the herd. When I resist by not commenting and “liking” updates constantly, I feel like I’m using the site wrong, or I start to get that nagging feeling that I could be doing more to be more a responsive friend, even though I’m doing nothing wrong. The Demetricator helps alleviate that pressure a little bit. I tried it out with a dummy account, and I think it’s a pretty stress-free way to use the site. If you took my advice and ditched Facebook, the Demetricator also works on removing the numbers from “likes” in other places on the internet; when you hop on Amazon, it just shows you that “people” like Harry Potter, not that 2,456,923 people like Harry Potter. It’s a good, free tool for removing a little bit of socially induced anxiety and pressure.

Anna
Collectors Weekly posted this fascinating interview with a photographer who collects and displays the suitcases owned by those who resided in mental institutions. In the past, people with mental illnesses were so stigmatized that often their humanity was stripped away; this photo series serves as a stark reminder of the rich private lives that were ignored when we dismissed asylum patients as “crazy.”

Tavi
This piece in the New York Times has lots of mantra-worthy quotations from a bunch of stylish and smart plus-size fashion bloggers. Inspiration of the aesthetic and life varieties awaits you.

Lately there have been rumors of a Boy Meets World spin-off. Like any fan of the show that brought us the greatest love affair of the past century (Principal Feeny and myself, in my dreams), I was all, TELL ME MORE TELL ME MORE LIKE DOES IT HAVE A CAR? And also, do its characters hop in said car and drive across a Farmville-esque plain as their lives flash before their eyes? Rembert Browne does some hard-hitting journalism at Grantland to bring us the facts.

Rose

I can’t stop listening to Tame Impala’s new album Lonerism. This week they released this awesomely psychedelic animation to accompany one of their best songs, the propulsive, hypnotic ballad, “Feels Like We Only Go Backwards Now.” Put it on and space out.

Petra
Mila Kunis is going to be an executive producer on a docu-drama about the Women’s Lib movement in the ’70s!!! Freaking out. It sounds totally awesome!

Pixie
In this beautifully written essay, a woman who grew up as a member of the Church of Scientology describes her family’s involvement, her mother’s job as an “auditor,” and her own experience being audited by her mother (the process is explained in great, and lovely, detail by the author). A unique insight into an organization that is somehow known for both its intense secrecy and its well-known secrets (thetans, Xenu, etc.), the piece is respectful and sympathetic, giving the reader an insight into how it feels to grow up inside of a bubble and how things that may seem strange to the outside world become completely normalized when your entire world is built around them: “I don’t remember thinking of myself as different from other kids,” Stella Forstner (a pseudonym) writes, “but then there was nothing visibly Scientologist about me—nothing I had to do or couldn’t do because of my parents’ religion. Like most children, I was well attuned to strangeness among my peers and not particularly sensitive about showing my curiosity or judgment: a neighbor had some Mormon friends, and I was baffled as to why they weren’t allowed to drink soda—never in their whole lives? And what could soda have to do with a religion anyway? I may have thought of Scientology like others see their own religious practices, but I never thought of it as a religion: if I could have phrased it as such I would have described it as something like a scientific philosophy.” The piece is the first in a series, and between the combination of gorgeous writing and the serious questions about faith, religion, and how we form our beliefs, I can’t wait to read Part Two.

Emma

Hermione + a five-year-old boy dressed as Harry Potter for Halloween? Be still my heart.

Stephanie
People endured a lot to vote—long lines, bad weather, navigating superstorm Sandy damage—and my hat goes off to all of them. My favorite determined-to-vote story is the one about a 21-year-old woman in the Chicago suburbs who went into labor, but stopped to vote in her first presidential election on the way! She’s going to have a great story to tell her daughter one day. ♦

• Blythe November 10th, 2012 12:39 PM

I was listening to that song and then I went over to my Tumblr tab and saw a GIF of Sherlock and John walking in perfect time to it. So then I had to cry a little.

• catpower44 November 10th, 2012 1:20 PM

That song is like the definition of perfection. It is so beautiful, and I LOVE the animation!

• Kathryn November 10th, 2012 1:25 PM

in 8th grade i watched the entire series of boy meets world on youtube

my friend and I memorized the handshake that shawn and cory did like 3 times in the first season hahaha

<3 shawn hunter 4evs <3

• Kathryn November 10th, 2012 1:30 PM

Also, it was so fun watching it on youtube and then finding episodes that I vaguely remembered from when i was like 6 or 7 but didn’t know where it was from.
      Like there was one episode where Mr. Feeny said something about ripping fabric and it was like a really deep metaphor for life and it was in the back of my head and I thought that it must have been something that Dumbledore said once or something (har har) and then I watched it and my mind was blown.
      The brain iz weirddddd

• Kathryn November 10th, 2012 1:31 PM

OR THE SECOND SEASON WHATEVER *

• DreamBoat November 10th, 2012 2:02 PM

ROOKIE I LOVE YOU

now I’m going to waste my Saturday reading all of these links…

• GlitterKitty November 10th, 2012 2:05 PM

Emma Watson and the little boy are the cutest thing ever. (I think there should be a new article called Literally The Cutest Thing Ever)

• Sorcha M November 10th, 2012 2:11 PM

Okay, that hexgrrrrlfriend post was just what I’ve been searching for rn. Rookie, r u psychic? Oh yeah, I forgot that Tavi lives under my bed. Grool.

• maggiemadge November 10th, 2012 2:13 PM

I loved this weekend’s edition of Saturday Links! The article about feminism really hit me. I’ve dealing with the struggle of trying to empower myself as a woman and yet I feel even better about myself when a guy tells me I’m pretty and sexy. It’s a great to know that I am not the only self called feminist that feels this way.

• actressgirl November 10th, 2012 3:41 PM

Not gonna lie…I am SO EXCITED for the new Boy Meets World!!!

• Abby November 10th, 2012 4:01 PM

Thanks, Tavi. Now Summer Nights will never get out of my head. Ever.

Anyway, loved this!

• spudzine November 10th, 2012 4:22 PM

Awwwww Hermione and Harry Potter!! :)

• ElleEstJolie November 10th, 2012 4:47 PM

I love the picture of Emma and that adorable kid! Too cute.

• Jessica W November 10th, 2012 4:57 PM

I have never seen Boy Meets World
    *no judgin* *i c u judgi* *stahp that*

So much love for Hazel’s blog post. Everyone should read it, boys included.

The Lovelorn

• HollinsCollins November 10th, 2012 9:11 PM

AHH! The picture of the wee kid and Emma was just the cutest thing in the world <3

• vintagewhimsy November 10th, 2012 9:23 PM

I can’t wait for Girl Meets World!!
    I loved the pictures of the suitcases, they were fascinating! Hermione and Harry Potter is the cutest thing ever.

• Helenus November 11th, 2012 12:18 AM

TAME IMPALA! Yes, please.

• Loops November 11th, 2012 3:11 AM

I know this has nothing to do with this post but I reeeeally want some advice from you Rookies. I have tanned skin, and I want to dye my hair an extremely bright Skittle-ish colour. I think bright colours look better with pale skin, so I have no clue what would look better on me. Pleeease can I have some ideas? And I have dark blonde hair with natural blonde streaks in it now – will it look weird if I don’t bleach it first? i really don’t want to bleach it.

• Pashupati November 11th, 2012 2:50 PM

I think it’ll look better if you don’t bleach it, because some colored streaks will still be lighter. Maybe try blue. I’ve seen a really tan girl with blue hair yesterday and it looked great.

• Pashupati November 11th, 2012 2:52 PM

(I mean I understand you want to dye all your hair, but because you have these natural streaks now some hair will be in a lighter blue!)
        (Red would be cool too!)

• karastarr32 November 12th, 2012 5:49 PM

Or green. Green is always cool :). If you get nervous at all, you can’t really go wrong with ppink and red, I’ve done both. I think a sort-of wine-y colour would be good with your colouring as well, although I know you said bright :).

• ivoire November 11th, 2012 3:42 AM

WO WOWOOWOWOWO
    I SEE TEGAN AND SARA FOR TOMORROW

• erica84 November 11th, 2012 6:38 AM

that post from hexgrrrlfriend is really amazing, something i have been struggling with put into words. thank you hazel!

• amelia November 11th, 2012 7:25 AM

i love that boy meets world is experiencing a sort of surge in popularity… a girl in my class the other day was sitting in the corner watching a season 2 episode, haha.

• raftingstarlit November 11th, 2012 7:43 AM

Do you really like the new album? I thought it was OK, but there were no outstanding songs like on the previous album (It’s not meant to be, solitude is bliss etc)

• KimKat November 12th, 2012 5:30 AM

YES TO LONERISM, ROSE!!! I saw Tame Impala live the other night and I just want to cry forever it was so ridiculously beautiful… It hurts :’( When they played that song (which is tied with Nothing That Has Happened So Far for my favorite track on the album), it got even the most painfully awkward, self-conscious human being in the whole place to jump and scream and dance (ME). I also met them all afterwards and they graciously signed my vinyl copy of the album *swooooooooooon*

• Meryl November 13th, 2012 8:21 PM

i love that rosa’s digging the new Tame impala. Lonerism is like THE Album of my Youth.
    And soo excited about the BMW news. I used to ship Tapanga and Cory ridiculously hard.

• Jordy December 3rd, 2012 2:06 PM

Did someone say Boy Meets World links? Here’s one more! :)