Everything else

Saturday Links: After Sandy Edition

Thinking of everyone affected by the storm.

Jenny
I was lucky—beyond lucky—to have been relatively unaffected by Hurricane Sandy. Where I live in New York, there are a few downed trees and mangled power lines. My Facebook newsfeed is a strange mix of people posting about how to volunteer and donate to communities devastated by Sandy and jokey posts about cabin fever and cheese/baked goods/alcohol consumption over the past few days. Natural disasters like hurricanes affect everyone equally, but recovering from a hurricane like this is not the same for everyone. Those with resources, those with money, those of us who are able-bodied, those of us who have cars and do not rely solely on public transportation, those of us who have salaried jobs and so can afford to miss a few days of work will undoubtedly have a much easier time recovering from Hurricane Sandy than those who are elderly and/or sick, those who cannot afford to miss work because they are paid by the hour, those who do not speak English and struggle to receive crucial information about how to get aid, those small-business owners who are barely staying afloat and cannot afford to lose business for a week or possibly more. Michelle Chen writes about this disparity that has been made gapingly obvious by Hurricane Sandy at In These Times. I love her. I love what she’s writing about. I love New York, and I want my city to get well. I want my city to take care of its most vulnerable residents.

Pulitizer Prize winner David Rodhe also writes movingly and smartly about some of the massive inequalities exposed by Hurricane Sandy.

If you live in New York and want to help out and get involved with community organizations—many of whom have been doing necessary and incredible work in underserved neighborhoods for years—I would suggest checking out Occupy Sandy over at Interoccupy.net. Lots of good up to date information on needed donations and volunteer opportunities with community organizations who are working with residents of areas that were hard hit by Sandy.

CAAAV, an amazing community organization that serves NYC’s low-income Asian immigrant and refugee population, has been doing amazing work in Chinatown, where many of the residents are low-income, non-English speakers, and/or seniors living in public housing. This update from CAAAV reveals some of the urgency and the need to pitch in, if you can, to help the city’s most vulnerable residents.

There’s a super cool bike initiative where folks are riding supplies over to Red Hook and distributing them to folks who live in public housing, mostly low-income Latino and African American residents.

And also, A LOT of media attention has been given to New York and New Jersey, but let’s not forget that the hurricane first swept through the Caribbean, taking hundreds of lives and destroying hundreds of thousands of homes in Jamaica and Haiti and Cuba, even if the news media has long moved on and lost interest in that part of the world. The hurricane has exacerbated an outbreak of cholera in Haiti, a country that is still recovering from the 2010 earthquake and has been dealt one hard blow after another. The United States is not the center of the world. I’m still waiting for the news media to acknowledge that, but until then, we have this wonderful post by Garry Pierre-Pierre on the Guardian’s blog.

On a final, non-Sandy note, the second issue of Illuminati Girl Gang is out! It’s the zine of my dreams, featuring art, photography, poetry, collage, and fiction from some very talented, weird, and funny ladies, including Rookie’s very own Emma Dajska!

Tavi
Remember that amazing hilarious Jesus restoration painting from a month or so ago? Someone made a cake of it.

This photo’s been floating around online all week so I’m not sure where I saw it originally. All you need to know is that Katy Perry and Rookie pal Shannon Woodward were bitchfacin’ Daria and Jane for Halloween, right down to the cartoon outlines. A+++++++.

Anaheed
A 200-year-old skeleton was discovered beneath an old tree that was uprooted by Hurricane Sandy in New Haven, Connecticut. There are so many things that are perfect about this story: that it happened right before Halloween, that it was discovered by a man named SILAS FINCH who was “searching for old coins” in the tree’s root bulb, and that people in the surrounding area immediately turned the discovery into a local legend—one guy near the scene said, “You think it’s the hurricane? I think a dead man trying to tell a tale.”

Look! A talking elephant! (Page includes a bonus talking seal.)

Emma D.
I love happy endings. I really liked the idea that after Jedi knights had defeated the Emperor, the light side of Force filled the galaxy forever. But poor Luke Skywalker is certainly gonna suffer again—this week Disney bought the rights to the Star Wars saga. The company is releasing Episode VII in 2015 and they are going to produce the new one every two or three years. The internet blew up with memes of Disney Princess Leia, musical Stormtroopers or new design of the Death Star. Some people are psyched to share the new Star Wars with their kids, but the vision of Hannah Montana as the new Queen of Naboo scares me more than Darth Vader’s creepy wheezing. And Harrison Ford is just too old to save everyone’s asses again.

Rose
This simple website that tells you where you can go to vote on Tuesday (THIS TUESDAY!) is totally profane but so useful. ♦

• kirigamirose November 3rd, 2012 12:18 PM

The Miley Cyrus clip weirdly syncronised with massive attack —– hmmm weird

• bookworm123 November 3rd, 2012 12:36 PM

I heard the suggestion of Nathan Fillion for Han Solo. If that proves true, I may be able to deal.

• RaineFall November 3rd, 2012 1:34 PM

You wouldn’t believe how happy that idea has made me! I hope its true, cos I’ve found this whole Disney taking over Star Wars a giant joke otherwise…

• Mary the freak November 3rd, 2012 1:16 PM

That may sound selfish, but I am so happy I wasn’t affected by sandy as I live in Germany. I wish I could help you guys there.
    also, those other links are adorable. <3

• I.ila November 3rd, 2012 1:27 PM

I am in love with these Saturday posts. they’re the best. oh dear, im going to be spending all my money on zines…
    And if any Rookie was badly affected by sandy, i’m telepathically sending you love!

• Runaway November 3rd, 2012 2:21 PM

My Glob! The Ecce Homo restoration painting strikes again! Hahahahaha! It’s true that it’s hilarious, but I’m from Spain and I remember watching the news last summer…The poor old lady that committed “the crime” was crying her eyes out in front of the TV cameras, saying that she meant no harm. So, every time that I hear about it again I feel both the urge to laugh and a huge wave of pity. All at the same time.

• Tyknos93 November 3rd, 2012 2:23 PM

Rose…that is the most perfect thing ever. I REALLY wish this was how google maps worked.

• secondtolastunicorn November 3rd, 2012 2:25 PM

My uncle lives in New Haven, and saw the skeleton while walking his dog!
    (also Jenny did a super job with those Sandy links)

• strawb3rrysandsugar November 3rd, 2012 3:27 PM

i can’t stop reading Rookie! i think i have read like all of the posts from when you started!! would you read my blog? http://strawberrysandsugar.wordpress.com

• DreamBoat November 3rd, 2012 3:36 PM

My heart goes out to all those effected by Sandy <3

OMG CAKE VERSION OF BEAST JESUS? DYYYYYYING.
    And ewww, new Star Wars is kind of making me sad and worried. WHY, DISNEY? WHY?

P.S. That Illuminati Girl Gang thing is the prettiest thang everrrr, I LOVE YOU JENNY.

• Libby November 3rd, 2012 3:51 PM

Okay, so I should be writing and doing homework but I’ll be reading these articles all afternoon.
    My exciting piece of rookie news for the week is that I SAW EMMA’S BOOK IN WATERSTONES!!! and not even just on the shelf, but several of them turned out with the cover facing, and little recommendation card underneath too. So exciting!!!

• litchick November 3rd, 2012 3:57 PM

I hadn’t heard about the skeleton until now. That is crazy! Awesome, though.

• katrinaexplainsitall November 3rd, 2012 4:14 PM

My god, the Katy Perry picture is just spot on. And the article by David Rohde is very interesting! It’s sad and strange to think about it.

• yourface November 3rd, 2012 6:05 PM

Hey Rookie! I’ve been volunteering at the Eyebeam gallery in Chelsea this weekend. They’ve been hit really hard by the hurricane and could really use as much help as possible. I’m sure they would really appreciate some volunteers heading down there to help out! I hope all the rookiers in my NYC area are safe! It would be awesome to see some of you out there helping this weekend/week!

• catpower44 November 3rd, 2012 8:33 PM

Tavi that cake is awesome. A kid at my school was that for halloween! He dressed in brown robes and has a messy wig. BUT the best part was that we took a skin coloured pair of nylons and drew on them to make the face. It was so cool.

• Naomi November 4th, 2012 6:37 AM

tell that guy i’ll marry him

• catpower44 November 4th, 2012 1:32 PM

I mean he not we in the 3rd sentence sorry! I will most definitely tell him that Naomi. :)

• LilySew November 3rd, 2012 8:59 PM

I hope everyone affected by Sandy is doing okay – much love.
    That jesus restoration painting is quite hilarious though, haha.

:D :D

• Maude November 3rd, 2012 10:41 PM

Oh yeah, I get my weather reports from The Fucking Weather, so I get to enjoy its profanity daily. Here is the link, in case you don’t want to have to wait four years to be virtually screamed at again.

• Whatsername November 4th, 2012 12:25 AM

JUST GOT MY POWER BACK TODAY AGH we were out for a week
    I missed Rookie so much!
    Our area of Jersey was lucky, not much happened. My relatives are from Long Island, their house is covered in seaweed and everything not made of metal or stone outside floated away.
    Let’s all hope this gets fixed up soon :/

• jessthetics November 4th, 2012 7:32 AM

That jesus cake is the best. It’s too much of an artwork to eat!

jessthetics.wordpress.com

• kindofmaybealive November 4th, 2012 8:29 AM

The Daria and jane picture might just be the best thing that I have seen all week. I have been completely unaffected by Hurricane Sandy (as I am literally on the other side of the world) but my heart goes out to all the survivors there and I plan to donate to a cause that is helping.

waitingfortheuniverse.tumblr.com

• a-anti-anticapitalista November 4th, 2012 8:34 AM

Jenny’s post <3 thank you

• eliselbv November 5th, 2012 3:49 AM

NO NO NO NO!!!!! Pleaaaasssseeee do NOT release a new episode of Star Wars it would be one of the biggest mistake of the decade !!

• jcmay96 November 5th, 2012 7:35 AM

Deepest condolence for those affected by Hurricane Sandy. Stay strong and may God always bless you. *big hug*

• Kathryn November 5th, 2012 12:01 PM

“I love this my science teacher gave me an A++ I’m not joking this song is great it’s egucashinol and a great comedy thins up if you agree”

comment on the hannah montana clip wins the most creative spelling of educational

• Ms.SNL November 18th, 2012 9:05 PM

No way! I was Daria for Halloween too!