Music

Friday Playlist: Monster Mashups

Worlds collide.

Mashups are the peanut butter and chocolate of music—two things that you wouldn’t expect to go together are combined to make something magical.

Illustration by Minna

• asleepatthecrackofdawn November 30th, 2012 7:53 PM

Awesome

• purrr November 30th, 2012 7:58 PM

THE TEACUPS GRAPHICS ARE JUST SO SO BEAUTIFUL WHY DO I LIKE THEM SO MUCH

Minna’s stuff is great as always. I’ll listen to the playlist when it isn’t 4 am in my time zone, but it looks promising!

• MissKnowItAll November 30th, 2012 8:07 PM

Lupe Fiasco and Ellie Goulding?

• baratully November 30th, 2012 8:16 PM

i seriously love mashups so much! (。♥‿♥。) i am in LOVE with ‘keep the car crazy’.
    some of my favourite mashups ever are ‘jaydiohead’ – jay z vocal tracks with radiohead samples by max tannone. look them up, my favourite is ’99 anthems’.

• ivoire November 30th, 2012 8:35 PM

lovin this

• fizzydrinks November 30th, 2012 9:06 PM

I love mashups!! The smahed teacups are just rad!
    My favorite mashup of all time is the Ellie Goulding x Kanya West x Portland Cello Project by The Hood Internet: http://soundcloud.com/hoodinternet/ellie-pcp-yeezy

• Adyam November 30th, 2012 9:11 PM

OMG!! There is this awesome mashup of the band Fugazi and the rap group, Wu Tang Clan on youtube. It’s so awesome!!!

• blondebitchxoxo November 30th, 2012 9:30 PM

you forgot the best mash-up of all time
    jay-z & the verve dirt off your shoulders/bitter sweet symphony

• queserasera November 30th, 2012 9:52 PM

my favorite mashup is “communist future” with tyler the creator’s yonkers and nmh’s communist daughter-it’s absolutely hilarious hearing nostalgic horns paired with serious rap!

• marthaflatley December 1st, 2012 12:10 AM

I LOVE Nirvana x Europe!!!

• taste test December 1st, 2012 12:33 AM

great mix! since everyone seems to be sharing, my favorite mashup is smells like beach boys. it is smells like teen spirit with vocals from sloop john b, and it works terrifyingly well.

• FlaG December 1st, 2012 2:26 AM

My favourite mash up is Stardust Kids by A Plus D – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDKZz6rY91U It works so amazingly well!

A Plus D have a club called Bootie where they play nothing but mash ups. A friend of mine in San Francisco went to the one there and she had a fantastic time. So for you Rookies who are above 21, look into it :)

• Mirae December 1st, 2012 7:36 PM

This is perfect. I think the peanut butter and chocolate coincided together very well this time :)

• lipstickjunkie December 2nd, 2012 3:54 AM

The best mashups in my opinion is this ellie goulding x muse “undisclosed lights” and a dance Gavin dance x wiz kalifa (or how ever you spell that name) “uneasy hearts weigh the most” there both great, check em out!

• Microbyte1 December 2nd, 2012 6:11 PM

when i saw the playlist i was like “yeeaahh.. it’s not gonna be that good” and now i’ve listen to it and i’m like “SHIT, that was so good!”

• speakthroughvision December 3rd, 2012 9:36 PM

OHMIIIIIIII
    This makes me eargasm and DAYUNCE man