Style

Future Babes

How to dress for tomorrow today.

Whether they’re robots, space agents, or astronauts, the babes of the future had (will have?) some pretty amazing style. Luckily, we don’t have to wait centuries to get their looks—we can let them inspire us to spruce up our present-day closets right now.

Clockwise from left: Pink Happy Thoughts dress, $75, ModCloth; black hair bow, $7, Dysfunctional Doll; foil leggings, $6, Kohl’s; ballet flats, $49, ASOS.

The Jetsons is a television show that aired in the ’60s and ’80s before being turned into a 1990 movie. It’s about a family living in Orbit City in the year 2062, and 16-year-old Judy is quite possibly my favorite futuristic teenager. Besides hanging out with her friends, writing in her digital diary (DiDi), and going to the mall, Judy loves listening to the tunes of her favorite singer, Jet Screamer. Is he as dreamy as the Biebz, you guys? Judy is always decked out in head-to-toe pink, with an A-line dress and matching leggings, black flats, and a bow in her perky ponytail. Perhaps something to think about for next Halloween, or for next week?

Clockwise from left: dress, $95, Etsy; black liquid eyeliner, $20, Benefit; hoop earrings, $9, Claire’s; Fox & Thistle crescent necklace, $145, Catbird; go-go boots, $60, Baby Girl Boutique.

In the original Star Trek (1966-67), Lieutenant Nyota Uhura, played by Nichelle Nichols, was an important member of the Enterprise, a spaceship dedicated to exploring the final frontier. (Nichelle was also one of the first African-American women to play a pivotal role in an American television series.) As the communications officer working alongside Captain Kirk and Spock, Uhura had the best style in the galaxy. Though the show took place in the 2260s, it was filmed in the 1960s, and the styles of the ’60s were reflected in her uniform’s silhouette: a long-sleeved dress, fitted at the waist, with a flared skirt. She’d wear it with black go-go boots and gold hoop earrings, and top the look off with that winged eye we love ever so much. BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY!

Clockwise from left: bodysuit, $49, ASOS; gun necklace, $28, Etsy; sequin bodysuit, $59, ASOS; go-go boots, $60, Baby Girl Boutique.

In Barbarella (1968), Jane Fonda stars as a sexy space agent working for Earth’s government in the year 40,000. She is sent to another galaxy on a mission to find a scientist named Durand Durand, who invented the Positronic Ray, a weapon that can destroy mankind. While seducing and being seduced by everyone she meets on her journey, Barbarella wears gorgeously embellished bodysuits that would make Beyoncé wild. Maybe you can’t wear gold boots, sequined one-pieces, and big hair to school, but there’s always the weekend, right?

Clockwise from left: faux-fur jacket, $264, ASOS; top, $55, ModCloth; owl necklace, $110, Catbird; owl clutch, $70, ModCloth.

Blade Runner (1982) takes place in Los Angeles in 2019, which is pretty hilar considering it’s only a few years away and there’s still no replicants (that we know of). Replicants are genetically engineered robots that look exactly like humans, but who work on other colonies, and if they are found on Earth, they are hunted down and terminated by the po-po, known as “blade runners.” Rachael (Sean Young) is a replicant who, because of fake memories that have been implanted in her brain, believes she’s human. She and blade runner Deckard (Harrison Ford) fall in love, causing him to question his motivations. If you’re wondering how the owl fits in, there’s this scene in which Deckard and Rachael size each other up, so pairing this clutch with a bold-shouldered top like the ones Rachael seemed to love is a great way to channel her debatably synthetic vibez.

Clockwise from left: dress, $198, Nasty Gal; Clairvoyance necklace, $334, All for the Mountain; leggings, $28, ASOS; ankle boots, $105, ASOS.

In Aeon Flux (2005), Charlize Theron plays the title character, who lives in a dystopian world set in 2415. Aeon is a highly skilled assassin and member of the Monicans, an underground group of rebels who plan to overthrow the police state of Bregna. Her style is what we’ve been led to believe a futuristic agent might wear: leather, interesting straps and cutouts, leggings, and lots of black! I saw this All for the Mountain necklace at Rookie’s recent Best Coast event in L.A. and loved it. Eye jewelry reminds me of the opening credits of the original animated series on MTV, which showed a fly getting stuck in Aeon’s lashes! SO CREEPY.

I don’t know, it seems like the future is either going to be awesome and super advanced or borderline apocalyptic, but either way, we’ll still need to dress for it. (Unless we go nude by then? Who knows!) ♦

kindhearted-abhorrent

• DreamBoat November 20th, 2012 11:05 PM

UNLESS WE GO NUDE?! AHAHAHA HILAR! Marie, I LOVE ALL YOUR ARTICLES! THIS IS PERFECT, I LOVE THEM ALL <3 <3 <3

FUTURE inspiration! (AHAHAHAHA get it? Bad pun…

• firky November 20th, 2012 11:18 PM

holy the outfits are spot-on!

• Adrienne November 20th, 2012 11:25 PM

Love this! When I was younger, I always wanted to be Judy Jetson as a teenager.

• Moxx November 20th, 2012 11:30 PM

Rachael is perfect

• ladylaurenia November 20th, 2012 11:35 PM

This is great! I love futuristic fashion so much. It would’ve been awesome if you put the fifth element in here…I’m waiting for someone to analyze the hell out of their fabulous outfits.

• Dayzee November 21st, 2012 11:30 AM

Just hat I was thinking. her outfits are awesome and I would have loved you to help put it into a more wearable outfit.

• Ben November 21st, 2012 6:47 PM

yes! love that movie! it’s Grimes’s favorite too! she has the element symbols tattooed on her hand!

• Moxx November 21st, 2012 7:54 PM

ohoho
      that is because the costumes for that film were done by none other than Jean-Paul Gaultier c:

• pushelildaisies November 20th, 2012 11:41 PM

I can’t believe you guys failed to mention Pris – the sexy-replicant wink wink – her style is totally Rookie-fied, with the ripped fish nets and mega eyeliner. Dropped the ball on that one ladies.

• Taffy November 20th, 2012 11:42 PM

Oh I’ve missed these style inspiration posts, they’re the best! I love the 60s futuristic style, especially Judy Jetson.

• Casey November 21st, 2012 12:22 AM

Love this! And ohmygod Judy Jetson for Halloween is a must. -sigh- I suppose it’ll have to stay in the Halloween costume waiting list that consists of Barnacle Boy, Ziggy Stardust, and Arthur the Aardvark.

• ivoire November 21st, 2012 12:29 AM

argh this is such a great post! i especially love the star trek one~

• lipstickjunkie November 21st, 2012 1:41 AM

The dress you selected for Aeon Flux is like the most perfect dress to ever be made. I’m ordering that NOW

• enchantedviolin November 21st, 2012 2:12 AM

I especially love the Judy Jetson and Aeon Flux looks!

Whenever I think of cyber / futuristic fashion I think of Cyber Dog: http://shop.cyberdog.net/

• Mary the freak November 21st, 2012 3:48 AM

Uuuh YAY for Lt. Uhura! What could be better? I have always admired her style and her charakter! I love star trek.
    this is the best style article ever. EVER. I cannot wait to dress like those amazing women!

<33

• spudzine November 21st, 2012 8:16 AM

WoW! Once again, Rookie read my mind! I’ve been thinking of watching The Jetsons lately, and whaddya know? A post about Judy Jetson!

• lxmldrt November 21st, 2012 12:37 PM

This is so outrageous!

• digsnthreads November 21st, 2012 1:37 PM

Love this style flashback! You are spot on with modern twists on these icons. Thank you so much for featuring my dress for the stylish Lt. Uhura – it sold and I have to think that this post was responsible for that!

p.s. love that the Eames are the background in your blog

• puffling November 21st, 2012 4:21 PM

Damn, when I saw the thumbnail for this before it was posted, I was hoping for a whole article about Uhura/Nichelle Nichols.

Do you know she still wasn’t allowed to enter the tv studios using the same gate as the white actors?

But a weird twist is, racists were so desperate to get rid of her, that the show producers put her on a permanent salaried contract to keep her role safe – unlike the rest of the cast who were hired week by week. Meaning she was paid more and had better working conditions than them – sounds about fair for what she had to go through.

She also volunteered with NASA to help get women and people of colour interested in space and involved in the space program.

And, you know, TV’s first ever inter racial kiss…

total hero. <3

• Ben November 21st, 2012 6:39 PM

after seeing the Blade Runner pics i now know the inspiration behind Alexander McQueen’s fall 1998 collection for Givenchy!

also Aeon Flux and Judy Jetson are awesome and just scifi future movies in general! i might do a Jetsons inspired piece for the art show my art club is doing at school!

• Melissa @ WildFlowerChild November 21st, 2012 6:48 PM

This is brilliant! I love of all of these.

<3 Melissa

• Bodysuits for Women November 22nd, 2012 2:31 AM

Oh Great, really nice post, especially i liked the Star Trek style…

• christinachristina November 22nd, 2012 12:27 PM

This is great. Also, I think everyone should give a listen to the 2 part Star Talk where Neil DeGrasse Tyson speaks with Nichelle Nichols. She has some fascinating things to say about how important her role as Uhura was at the time for women & African Americans.

• jooleeanne November 22nd, 2012 1:16 PM

this is so relevant to me n my friends halloween costumes this year. Space Babes! http://jooleeanne.tumblr.com/post/34429217255/space-babes-x

• Lemons November 22nd, 2012 1:31 PM

so cool!

• insteadofanelephant November 23rd, 2012 11:59 PM

oh i love the barbarella, gotta love fonda.

XX