Music

Friday Playlist: Hanging Out With Violet Baudelaire

Songs for our favorite enterprising orphan.

Violet Baudelaire has just hit a rough patch. Her parents died in a mysterious fire, she and her siblings are on the run from the law, and to make things worse, the evil Count Olaf is after them, trying to steal their fortune. But Violet doesn’t have time to let these things get her down. She’ll come up with an invention to get out of the tightest situations. Now if only she could figure out what V.F.D. stands for…

Illustration by Minna

• Bildungsroman November 23rd, 2012 11:14 PM

OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH. Perfect. Just perfect. I die. Friday Playlists are the best thing ever. Rookie Mag is the best thing ever. Lemony Snicket is the best thing ever. SO MANY BEST THINGS EVER, combined into a giant stew of BESTNESS.
    I…um…I think I’m done.
    BUT STILL MY GOSH.

• jill November 23rd, 2012 11:19 PM

A smile and a ribbon– In Ghostworld Enid crying on her bed listening to this record omg just too much

• Ana November 23rd, 2012 11:22 PM

This is amazing! I love it!

• Lila Gracie November 23rd, 2012 11:32 PM

hello, where are the songs from the Gothic Archies??? Scream and Run Away from their series of unfortunate events themed album is just perfect

• O. November 24th, 2012 6:29 AM

Exactly what I was wondering! Scream and Run Away is awesome.

• Anna F. November 24th, 2012 1:11 PM

True, but where’s the fun/challenge in putting together a playlist of already collected songs?

• baratully November 23rd, 2012 11:41 PM

Neutral Milk Hotel AND Beck AND Fiona Apple AND Bjork? It feels like Christmas coming early. (✿♥‿♥)

• firky November 23rd, 2012 11:51 PM

This is great. I was talking about Violet just the other day! I remember going book shopping with my dad when the series just came out. We both had a chuckle at the name “Lemony Snicket” then I bought all the books and read ‘em.

End of story.

• Josefina November 23rd, 2012 11:59 PM

If there’s Björk in it then it’s good yes yes yes goooood. By the way has anyone else watched the Mutual Core video?! It’s AMAZING.

(Also, I adore Au Revoir Simone, too! These are nice choices, thank you for sharing your creativity with us Rookie people! I honestly cannot do play lists to save my life.)

• katrinaexplainsitall November 24th, 2012 2:47 AM

A Series of Unfortunate Events is one of my favorite book series, and I always adored Violet. This would totally be my playlist if I ever had the privilege of hanging out with her. And yay for Broken Social Scene being on here!

(the world is quiet here)

• tove November 24th, 2012 4:25 AM

Yes, yes, yes, this is BRILLIANT.
    Violet Baudelaire kicks ass!

• Sorcha M November 24th, 2012 5:54 AM

This is timed so perfectly you have no idea. You just reinforced my existential angsty theory that my life is a TV show. I guess I’m the meta character, like Abed. Anyway, yay Violet!!!

• O. November 24th, 2012 6:33 AM

The timing of this playlist is pretty awesome as today I decided to have A Series Unfortunate Events Day. This involved re-reading my favourite books from the series, practising Sebald code, writing in my commonplace book, all while eating pasta puttensca and listening to the Gothic Archies.

What can I say, ten years later and I’m still just as obsessed!

• J. November 24th, 2012 6:34 AM

That’s such a great playlist! I listened it with a real pleasure – so Violet Baudelaire! <3

• laurenniee November 24th, 2012 7:08 AM

Violet is damn awesome!!

• Lascelles November 24th, 2012 7:49 AM

Violet link is broken… and this list is brilliant :D

• Carolina November 24th, 2012 8:10 AM

THIS IS SO SOOO GOOD!
    Violet Baudelaire and her siblings are some of my favourite literary characters and these books were huge for me when I was growing up.

Thanks so much for this!! :)

• Lucy23 November 24th, 2012 9:11 AM

Fiona Apple!!! Neutral Milk Hotel!!! Bjork!!! guys I love this so much!!!!!!

• kellbell November 24th, 2012 9:12 AM

this makes me want to reread the series all over again, right now!

• boyfights November 24th, 2012 9:19 AM

This sounds perfect, I can’t wait to listen to it. Violet was my idol growing up.

• flowerchild49 November 24th, 2012 10:15 AM

Rookie should do an interview with Judith Ortiz Cofer

• HollieLillian November 24th, 2012 10:42 AM

jesus i was obsessed with this series when i was younger, but im still distraught that lemony snicket isn’t real because my childhood self though this was all completely real (ill just listen to this playlist on repeat to heal my still broken heart)

• catpower44 November 24th, 2012 11:16 AM

Oh god yessss. I actually thought to myself when I opened the page, “they’d better put some neutral milk hotel on here!”. Two headed Boy is an awesome choice.

• Lauritzen November 24th, 2012 12:58 PM

Psst… Looks like you’ve reversed the artist and song in the last song. The band is Stars and the song is Window Bird :)

• LeavesThatAreGreen November 24th, 2012 2:08 PM

This is PERFECT and very ASOUE. Thank you. <3

• Yip November 24th, 2012 2:43 PM

Why don’t I know Violet? She sounds awesome, so does this music list!

• cloudinthesky November 24th, 2012 3:26 PM

This playlist is awesome, ALL OF YOUR PLAYLISTS ARE AWESOME!!!

• Jesse November 24th, 2012 5:46 PM

I love these books. I don’t care how old I get, I will always reread them. <3

• daisyauthority November 24th, 2012 5:52 PM

This brings back so many memories of reading this series with my flashlight under the covers. Loved the series, love the songs, especially Extraordinary Machine.

• Cactus Woman November 24th, 2012 7:02 PM

I am SO happy you included a feature with Violet Baudelaire! From the moment this month’s theme was announced, I was thinking, “they BETTER include Violet, the girl inventor extraordinaire!”

When I was in elementary school, all the way up until sixth or seventh grade, A Series of Unfortunate Events was my obsession. I had multiple “commonplace books” devoted to taking notes in the hopes of solving the mystery of VFD.

Daniel Handler (AKA Lemony Snicket) is still one of my favorite authors. I highly recommend Adverbs (bonus: the cover was designed by Daniel Clowes!). It’s beautiful writing.

• Kathryn November 24th, 2012 10:44 PM

Gosh now I just want to reread them all… I haven’t read them since middle school. I love them so much.

P.S. not the most flattering photo of Sunny.

• giov November 25th, 2012 3:55 AM

I haven’t even read the books, but was talking about them with friends just the other day.

In other news, I might very well be obsessed with this playlist.

Well done!

• Lillypod November 25th, 2012 8:56 AM

Violet is my heroine
    hands up if you thought Lemony Snicket was a real person for a really. long. time.
    Daniel Handler’s books are awesome too!!!

• ghoststakepolaroids November 25th, 2012 2:29 PM

i love violet baudelaire so much this is perf

• Tiger November 25th, 2012 6:10 PM

A smile and a ribbon is such a strange song– telling little girls to just smile and be pretty and then they’ll be happy.

Still love it though. Vi is my homie.

• oh...hi cindy November 25th, 2012 7:49 PM

i LOVE smile & a ribbon, one of my favorite songs in ghost world for sure

• emilypower November 25th, 2012 9:48 PM

Oh this is absolutely absolutely completely the greatest playlist, it is so wonderful! Yay thank you. :]

• cancercowboy November 26th, 2012 2:45 PM

thanks for bringing The Handsome Family to my attention; never heard of them before.
    take one, give one
    even though this doesnt fit the mood of this mix at all ^__^

• hannahpatty November 27th, 2012 9:06 PM

Thank you, Rookie! I just love love love Friday Playlists! Why can’t I find such amazing music?

• insteadofanelephant November 28th, 2012 8:24 PM

neutral milk hotel never gets old

instead of an elephant