Style

Learning the Face-ics, Lesson One: The Foundation

In this new video series, Amy Rose teaches us how to do all the “simple” makeup stuff that everyone else already seems to know, but…how?

A while back Amy Rose sent us this pitch:

Hi ladies. I had no idea how to do my makeup in even rudimentary ways at all for many years of being a teenager. Can I do a series of posts about LEARNING THE VERY BASICS of how to put together your face? Like, routine-wise, what goes on after what and where and in what color? What are everyday products that you use, and how do you use them? I feel like all the beauty advice I’ve given in the past is like CONTOURING and FAKE EYELASHES and in high school I would have been like, “What? How do I do mascara?!” I know that so many teenagers now are BEAUTY PROS because I have seen their amazing stuff online, but others probably need an idea of where to start. Let me know if you think this is a good idea. X ARS

Obviously, we think this is a GREAT idea, so here you go. This first lesson is about prepping your canvas, so to speak—evening out your skin tone and adding a little dimension.

• umi November 27th, 2012 7:08 PM

omg……this is the best thank you so much

• Fae November 27th, 2012 7:13 PM

Yes! Thank you for this! When it comes to looking like an ethereal glitter faery I’m good, but ‘the faceics’ have always been a mystery. Do more of these please!
    xoxo

• Ladymia69 November 27th, 2012 7:20 PM

Dude…I knew how to do makeup as a teenager but over the years I have forgotten, as I became very “Nay, I shan’t wear makeup simply to please the teeming masses!” Nowadays I’d like to wear it just for me, and this is good. It helps me remember. Thanks.

• MissKnowItAll November 27th, 2012 7:22 PM

Amy Rose,
    I’m just going to take this time to say that I have a huge crush on you.
    You’re flawless.
    xoxo

• Claire November 27th, 2012 7:30 PM

This is great…I kept thinking of the Avon lady in Edward Scissorhands (“And then you just blend, and blend, and blend…”)!

• oleander November 27th, 2012 7:42 PM

love this!

• soggyturnip November 27th, 2012 7:43 PM

this video is the absolute best (and you’re incredibly beautiful!)

• Maggie November 27th, 2012 7:43 PM

I have a question! Once I had a BB cream on, and when my dad hugged me, the stuff rubbed off on his dark suit! I’ve heard that if you spray hairspray on your face, your creams and such won’t budge… but spraying hairspray on your face just sounds like one of those terrible ideas. What to do? Obviously we are irresistible and everyone wants to hug us. So this is urgent!

• Claire November 27th, 2012 8:06 PM

Hey! I have found that misting my face with mineral water sets my makeup very nicely so as to prevent such incidents. Sephora sells little spritz bottles of Evian (I think a 2-pack is $12), but I’m sure you could make your own and it would work just as well.

• Pixie November 27th, 2012 8:07 PM

Maybe a makeup setting spray? Though I’m not sure which one is best!

• BritBeth November 27th, 2012 8:23 PM

The hairspray really does work – hold it a long way from your face and do a little bit at a time – especially useful for holding on beautiful and dramatic eyeshadow. Perhaps not for everyday use, but I’ve been doing it on nights out (roughly 3-4 nights out of every fortnight) for 18 months and my skin is the same as it was before I started :)

• AwesomeFrances November 27th, 2012 10:44 PM

Hairspray does work! I wear a full face of makeup when I have dance performances and hairspray keeps everything from melting off my face. BUT it feels totally gross and there’s no way I’d want to do that every other day. I only do it because I need to.

• HeartPlant November 30th, 2012 8:09 AM

Hairspray on the face is probably not a good idea considering it’s plastic & alcohol in a bottle. You can spray it on a plastic wallet thing and then peel it off. It keeps your make up on because it essentially lacquers your face.

• loanna November 27th, 2012 10:48 PM

I use Urban Decay “De Slick” Oil Control Makeup Setting Spray. It’s da bomb.

• unicorn November 27th, 2012 11:14 PM

I know that a few different brands offer makeup setting sprays, urban decay has one and elf has a less expensive but still good quality one.
      Not a total makeup expert here, but maybe primer would also help?
      But I definitely do not recommend hairspray! It can seriously irritate sensitive skin and cause breakouts and stuff!

• dancinginthetrees November 28th, 2012 1:13 AM

This stuff! It’s made exactly for that. It’s used for stage makeup because it slides right off under the hot lights, but it would work quite well for normal makeup, I would imagine.

• anisarose November 28th, 2012 1:41 AM

you can also set your makeup with a powder. Rimmel’s Stay Matte Powder is cheap and does a really good job!

• amanda November 28th, 2012 11:54 AM

LUSH has a facial cleanser that might work! their au de roma (rose water spray) might be helpful to keep the cream on. :)

• Ameliathistle November 28th, 2012 5:35 PM

I know how it sounds, but the hairspray isn’t such a bad idea. Just hold the can really far away from you face, spray, and keep making crazy faces while it dries (if you spray it close, it goes manky and shiny, and if you don’t move your face, it feels a leetle freaky.)
      OR you could buy a fixing spray from a makeup shop (I would advise one if I knew which country you’re in!) and then you can be sure it will be cool with your face.
      Good luck and all that xx

• Maggie November 29th, 2012 8:23 PM

thanks for the suggestions everyone!

• Jenn November 27th, 2012 7:45 PM

1. Amy Rose is such a babe AHHHHH!
    2. Also this video was really great but are there any tips for extremely dry skin? Like, I exfoliate weekly and moisturize all the time but I still have rough flaky patches of skin year-round and it looks super gross with or without makeup :’(

• fullmetalguitar November 27th, 2012 10:24 PM

I’m not entirely sure if this will help, but exfoliation can actually make your skin more rough! Especially when it comes to the delicate skin on your face :XX I used to have rough flaky patches on my cheekbones, and I think part of that was because my facewash was just too rough – it was one of those with the little exfoliating bursts in it. So yeah, maybe try doing that less and using a very gentle facewash? Usually the stuff that says “gentle night time soothing etc” works well for me. Also a primer might help, since it would gently hydrate right before putting the makeup on/.

• Imogen-Rose November 27th, 2012 10:25 PM

Same! Even if I JUST put on moisturizer before my BB cream. Also, does anyone have any tips on inexpensive pimple treatment?

• ohnoitsdevo November 28th, 2012 1:40 AM

I’m 26 and wasted years trying everything from cheap neutrogena face wash to that ridiculously expensive proactiv kit.
        Finally, just this year I’ve found the only thing that works: Panoxil. It’s super cheap and they sell it at most drug stores. They have a face wash, but I recommend the bar of soap. Just to warn you, it is super strong and the first time I used it my skin kind of freaked out and I had blotchy redness everywhere. But from the second use on it was totally fine. It will dry your skin out a bit so be sure to use a moisturizer afterwards, but seriously, I wish someone had told me about it 12 years ago!

• missmadness November 28th, 2012 11:15 AM

I bought some Burt’s Bees toner (http://www.burtsbees.com/product-line/natural-acne-treatments/natural-acne-solutions-clarifying-toner.html) that ended up being waay too drying on my skin, and now I dab a little bit on a q-tip and apply it to any breakouts I have in the morning and before bed. It works like a charm and doesn’t cause additional breakouts (some of the more chemically stuff does that to my skin!)

ALSO, in a pinch…toothpaste. This is not ideal, but if you’re without your suppliez and desperate (aka, waking up the day before your boyfs graduation about to meet his entire family with a big ‘ole shiny zit) it works.

• rachelcallari November 28th, 2012 5:25 PM

I use nelson’s acne treatment gel 2-3 times a day on all my zits and it works SO well. I’ve tried a few creams and gels but this is by far the most effective I’ve tried. A tube lasts for quite awhile, and really isn’t expensive at all! Here’s the link: http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/en-us/us/our-brands/nelsons-pure-clear/products/acne-treatment-gel/

• Kathryn November 29th, 2012 10:10 PM

rub the inside of a banana peel on your face everyday (more than once if you can eat that many bananas.) it’s weird but it seriously works!! Even if you don’t have pimples, it makes your skin look gooood.

• firky November 28th, 2012 1:15 AM

In the winter my skin also gets super dry. I use a moisturizer called Dormer, and it’s great because you can also use it under your eyes which you can’t do with a lot of other creams because they’re so damn heavy/perfumed/whatever’d.

Is your room/home really dry? I also use a humidifier in my room while I sleep and it reallllyyy makes a huge difference in the winter.

• marie.m November 28th, 2012 2:43 AM

Have you tried a toner/liquid exfoliator like those from clinique? Not too pricy, and they make a type for extra dry skin. Totally amazing and a must have, you use the liquid on a cotton ball and it wipes away dry skin before you moisturize. I would also recommend steaming your face once in a while. You can boil water and hold your face over it with a towel, or just use a warm damp towel over your face until in cools. Really helps me with my dry patches!

• amanda November 28th, 2012 11:57 AM

i had this problem too! i found that using make-up actually DRIED OUT MY SKIN MORE D: so i went to lush and asked them what i should do because until recently i wasn’t very into make up. so what they suggested (and i’ve used with complete success) is to a) when you shower wash your face with an allergen free bar soap (i use dove) b) RIGHT after the shower, spray your face with a cleanser (i use lush’s au de roma) c) and then apply a moisterizer to the areas with the dry skin (i use pond’s dry skin formula) xx

• camille November 28th, 2012 4:33 PM

I had that problem for years, to a point that I stopped wearing makeup in the winter. What worked for me:
      -I stopped exfoliating with anything else than a regular wet face cloth;
      -I dropped all face cleansers, and only occasionally use eye makeup remover all over my face before washing it with lukewarm water on a face cloth;
      -I invested in a good moisturizer. Choosing it is a very personal matter, but the one that works for me is the Ultra Facial Cream from Kiehl’s (if you’re curious and want to try it out, the company is usually pretty good about giving out samples–I wouldn’t have bought it otherwise). It’s thick enough but doesn’t give me pimples (I even have less acne since I started using it!);
      -I also recently invested in a foundation for dry skin (yes, such a thing exists!). The one I have is from Vichy, and I’m really happy with the results so far.

Hope this helps :)

• Ameliathistle November 28th, 2012 5:40 PM

Yeah, fullmetalguitar is right. Try a ‘hot cloth’ cleanser, which uses a creamy wash-lotion-thing and a muslin cloth (which has reaally gentle exfoliatingness) and makes your skin bootiful. I can recommend some if you like? Another thing I would suggest is to use Lis Earle products. They are made to be compatible with dry and sensitive skin, and once you use them, you will want to feel your face 24-7 it will be so soft!
      About primers, they are good for stopping you makeup looking icky on flaky skin, but avoid mattifying ones or ones for oily skin, as these can highlight dryness or make it worse.
      Dw, babe, I know how nasty skin like that can be! I feel you xx

• artobsessed December 2nd, 2012 1:28 AM

hey i know im a little late on the scene, but i used to have that problem around my nose.
      at my regular doctors (not dermatologist), they diagnosed it as eczema (reddish rough/flaky skin that doesn’t seem to respond well to cooling or moisturizing products). i got a scrip (the steroid cream “hydrocortisone”) for it, but there’s also this stuff called “Cortizone 10″ that you can get at the drugstore.
      eczema is a common thing like rosacea, and can be anywhere on the body.
      if you can’t seem to fix it, talk to your doc!

• Jenn December 16th, 2012 2:51 PM

Thanks so much! I just checked back the comments because I’ve been weird and not on the internet so much lately… I’ll definitely be trying these tips!

• Starsplitter November 27th, 2012 7:46 PM

Great video! what is the nail polish color you’re wearing? it’s super cute!

• Amy Rose November 28th, 2012 12:17 AM

Barefoot in Blue by Essie!

• R. November 27th, 2012 7:48 PM

daaaaayum that face. I don’t even really wear make-up but this needed to be said: Amy Rose should model for Rookie.

• connie November 27th, 2012 7:52 PM

I feel like i have permanently dry looking skin. Particularly under and around the outer edges of my eyes and around my nostrils and upper lip. No matter how soft and supple my skin feels, after I put on any kind of concealer, foundation, or powder, all I see are flakes and creases and it often looks worse than the discoloured skin its supposed to hide and even out. I also find moisturizing and exfoliating these areas to be very irritating and often causes my face to go blotchy-red (in the cheeks and temples specifically). I have used a number of different moisturizers over the years, some for sensitive skin, some for very dry skin, some expensive, some cheap, and they all seem to do the same thing (that is, very little.) I was wondering if you have any suggestions or tips to rid myself of this.

(Currently I am using Cetaphil daily facial moisturizer SPF 15, MAC Select Moisturecover concealer, and Clinique Superbalanced Makeup foundation, and I exfoliate with a sugar, honey, and olive oil scrub bimonthly [it smells really bad])

• Claire November 27th, 2012 8:09 PM

I would recommend Vaseline. It’s not a high-tech beauty product by any means, but if you put it on dry patches before going to bed at night, it will likely help.

• connie November 28th, 2012 12:07 AM

Thanks Claire for your suggestion. I have tried Vaseline in the past and I think petroleum based products tend not to absorb into my skin very well in these particular areas. I find it is a good make up remover though!

• Kimono Cat November 27th, 2012 8:15 PM

Hi,
      It sounds like you have eczema. I know, because I have your exact same symptoms and I was diagnosed with eczema many years ago. Hydrocortisone cream is my saviour. I’ll smear it on, and my skin will instantly feel less irritated, although you’ll have to use it for an extended period of time to completely heal your skin. It also soothes mosquito bites. It’s available over the counter in the U.K., but I don’t know about its status in America :(.

• mrsfigg November 27th, 2012 11:53 PM

the only thing about hydrocortisone is that it is a mild steroid so you should be careful about how much you use, especially on your face. I have eczema as well and was prescribed a hydrocortisone cream which I do not mind using on other parts of my body, but never my face because over time it can cause spider-veins and other icky things :s just letting you know.

• connie November 28th, 2012 12:17 AM

I had a skin issue last year as a result of working in ceramics and plaster studios too often and the dry, dusty air wreaked havoc all over my face (especially where i wore a face mask). I had the same symptoms as i have now but far worse and the doctor told me it wasn’t eczema, but she wasn’t quite sure what it was! So! She put me on painkillers and I kind of jus dealt with having a bright red, scabby face for 6 months! I then (no longer working in studio) started washing my face with a benzoyl peroxide creme and it’s generally used as an acne medication, but it cleared up my face very well, and I was only left with red scars that have slowly faded over time. But I still haven’t gotten rid of this dryness in the more delicate skin areas of my face. I will go to my doctor again sometime, I think, and ask her to check to see what’s up with my face! Skin is such a jerk!

• artobsessed December 2nd, 2012 1:31 AM

“Cortizone 10″ y’all, totes available in America, no prescription needed

• Abby November 27th, 2012 8:24 PM

I don’t have dry skin, but I ALWAYS have this problem when I pop a zit, because for some reason it peels around it (I guess because it was swollen and the skin was stretched)… so I get this disgusting red flakyness all over my nose, which does NOT cover well with makeup. I really don’t have any tips, so I guess this is just general commiserating, but I FEEL YOU GIRL.

• connie November 28th, 2012 12:18 AM

*nods head in appreciation before bowing head an continuing to sob in self pity

ty lady

• anisarose November 28th, 2012 1:39 AM

i have the same thing! first, i would recommend not popping zits because it can lead to scaring and doesn’t solve the whole problem. Instead, dab a little tea tree oil on it to make it go away. also, even if your skin isn’t dry, it’s always a good idea to moisturize to prevent damage from the sun and keep you looking young and healthy! and if you want a good concealer, try Tarte’s Maracuja Creaseless Concealer or Urban Decay’s 24/7 Concealer Pencil

• julietpetal November 27th, 2012 9:21 PM

Hey.
      So I have skin like this and am just starting to figure it out after years of grossness. So some tips:
      -it is probably not just dry skin. Could be eczema, could be a fungal infection (which sounds disgusting but antibiotics basically cures it), could be an allergy or intolerance, could be something else.

-one main thing I just figured out: I have always had really dry flaky skin on my eyelids and around my eyes and it seemed to get worse if I moisterised it too much. Anyway my doctor told me it was blepheritis but not how to handle it. Basically it’s caused by too much oil on your eyes blocking the pores which are extra sensitive. Antibiotics does clear it temporarily but I found the best way I deal with flare ups is this – boil a cup of water, put a tablespoon of baking soda in it, let it cool then use a cotton tip to rub it on your eyelids and also like where you would put eyeliner. Use a clean cotton tip for each eye! Then you can store that mix for a couple days in the fridge and then chuck it as make it again.

-if you have eczema and a doctor has given you steroid cream, don’t use it on your face! It can really easily give you peri-oral dermatitis which looks like heaps of little pimple blister things and they don’t go away.

-if your skin gets worse and then better or you notice some thing triggering it, maybe start keeping a food diary. I’ve just found out I’m intolerant to salycilites and can’t really eat a lot of things like berries and tomatoes and wine without getting an itchy rash all over my body and a puffy face.

• julietpetal November 27th, 2012 9:28 PM

Woah so long I ran outta room! Just wanted to also say the best thing i have found for my skin is to basically put nothing on it. So I just wash it in the evening with a flannel and warm water, and moisturise with Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion with Oats, which is meant to be a body moisturizer but is fine for your face and better for your skin than cetaphil.

• connie November 28th, 2012 12:27 AM

I have that eyelid thing! Gonna try your solution for sure!

Thanks for all this other advice too!
        I have a pretty consistent diet, but I do get flare ups around the time of my period or stressful timez or, usually, both at once.

In regards to your salycilite intolerance: Fuck. That. Wow. I am so sorry you gotta deal with that.

• connie November 28th, 2012 12:29 AM

Also! I’ve tried Aveeno moisturizers. I don’t like its formula, I find it just sits on top of my skin and doesn’t absorb well. But it doesn’t make me blotchy, I might try it again.

• marie.m November 28th, 2012 2:48 AM

Have you tried a professional facial? Some can run as little as $25 and are totally worth it if you have dry, dull skin. Also, there are really great microderm abrasion kits from Olay and Neutrogena that can invigorate some life back into your skin. I have very sensitive, acne prone skin that can get dry when I’m having a breakout but the Olay kit really helped me! On a side note, cetaphil is not my favorite moisturizer, actually made my skin more irritated. The best I have used is the basic yellow one from Clinique. Good luck!

• Ameliathistle November 28th, 2012 5:49 PM

I have said this to MANYMANYMANY PEOPLE but try Liz Earle. I think it’s available online mostly anywhere? It is sooo good for sensitive skin – and I KNOW about sensitive skin. Also super moisturising. I’ve used hydrocortisone on my face, only on very specific areas, and not had any bad effects, but it’s not ideal long-term and I think you should keep that as a last resort as much as poss. Another thing you could try is Bio-oil (dunno where it’s available). It may sound nasty to put oil on your face, but it’s not actually so badd, and it’s super moisturising (plus it would help healing any horrid reactions you’ve had).
      Anyway, good luck, I feel ya girl, hope it works out okay! xx

• Sharon November 27th, 2012 8:00 PM

amy rose! you remind me of emma stone except more HELPFUL. Like emma stone except more helpful cool big sister.

• Dayzee November 28th, 2012 10:37 AM

JUST WHAT I WAS THINKING

• forevernymph November 27th, 2012 8:12 PM

You remind me so much of Emma Stone :3

• posie.rose November 27th, 2012 8:14 PM

Thank the gods of Rookie mag, again! YOU GUYS READ MY MIND EVERY SINGLE DAY. xo

• nerdfighter November 27th, 2012 8:19 PM

is it weird that i had a sudden flash back to amy’s love for ski slope noses?

NEVER.

• BritBeth November 27th, 2012 8:21 PM

So I did this thing where I got to Uni last year and realised it’s ok to wear foundation sometimes – but didn’t have a clue how! Muddled along with help from some of my new housemates but this would have been much more useful – thank you very much!

• Abby November 27th, 2012 8:21 PM

AMY ROSE. I LOVE YOU. Also, we have, like, the exact same color face, and I have rosacea too, so would you post the names and info (or links, whatever) for the products you used here? It would be AWESOME.

• dearmia November 27th, 2012 8:39 PM

WAIT, WAIT!!!!!!! ALSO for girls who do not have bangs and are going to use bronzer: make sure to put it on the hairline. Only a little bit, though. This brings the whole face together and makes it look more natural.

• raggedyanarchy November 27th, 2012 8:45 PM

AMY ROSE YOU ARE A HELPFUL PERSON. I, ah, went through what we’re gonna call an “awkward” stage in middle school I often like to pretend never happened. Let’s just say it included miss-matching eye shadow and too much eyeliner. ANYWAY, while all the other girls were learning how to make their faces beautimus, I missed out on these lessons. So I’ve kind of had to start from scratch on the whole make-up thing. I’ve been working on it, but I have leaps and bounds to go before I’ll allow myself to get near my eyes with glue and fake eyelashes.

• Amy Rose November 29th, 2012 1:54 PM

Ooh, man, you should have seen this girl at 12 – poorly-applied sparkly lavender eyeshadow every day of the week, black eyeliner applied ONLY to the inner rims of my eyes, which would then irritate them, a “creative” use of blush – you get the picture. What I’m saying is, if I can apply makeup well now, literally anyone can.

• jessie77 November 27th, 2012 8:47 PM

Thank you so much for this video it is actually perfect <3 your like the older sister/ fairy godmother that i never had!! i'm so excited for the next one- question im 16 and have had pretty bad acne since i was 12 so have never worn face make up as ive always been under the impression that it makes acne a fuck tonne worse- is this true?? and if so is there a way around it as i would like to start wearing make up and take pride in my appearance instead of pretending that i don't care.

• missmadness November 28th, 2012 11:22 AM

it depends on what you use, from my experience! I use a tinted moisturizer (neutrogena) and a powder foundation (also neutrogena) on top of that–I’ve found that the moisturizer gives me extra uhh…moisturizing? while the powder absorbs some of my skin oils. I have combination skin so its a viscous cycle, haha. If you do start wearing makeup, make sure everything you touch your face with is CLEAN (your hands, brushes, sponges, etc.) and that you wash your face before going to bed. Neutrogena works best for me, and some stores run BOGO half off sales on their products, so it’s not too expensive if you plan your purchases correctly.

• Amy Rose November 29th, 2012 1:48 PM

Yes! Camille and Missmadness are right – it’s all about what works for you specifically, as well as CLEAN HANDS/EVERYTHING ELSE YOU TOUCH YOUR BEAUTIFUL FACE WITH. Stick to “non-comedogenic” products (this specifies that the formula won’t clog pores) and be sure to wash your face at the end of the day and you should be all right. Let us know how it goes!

• camille November 28th, 2012 4:50 PM

From my experience, it’s true and it isn’t, in the way it depends on what make up you use, and how you react to it. I’ve had good experiences with some CoverGirl products, and had bad reactions to others from Clinique, and the other way round. Amazing make up goddess Lisa Eldridge did a tutorial on how to cover acne, if that might interest you: http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/12764/acneblemish-covering-make-up/
      Also, as she says, concentrate on the ‘good skin’, and hide as little as possible of it–your acne is a lot more noticeable to you than to others.

• Taylor WM November 27th, 2012 8:49 PM

If ONLY this was out like 3 years ago, it would have saved A LOT of trail and error issuueess – my friend and I were going out to a party and had to google which you put on first, foundation or concealer?.. hahaha
    Taylor xx

• catttherineee November 27th, 2012 8:54 PM

YES. THIS THIS THIS.

• faithdarwin November 27th, 2012 9:01 PM

YES! Thank you! This is EXACTLY what I need in my life. I’ve recently been trying to teach myself how to use makeup, but 99% of the makeup tutorials I find are all “This is easy: you just need 27 different types of brushes, and a gazillion different products that all cost a million dollars!” It’s so hard when I’m just starting to use makeup and so I only have maybe three or four products at my disposal. (Also: I’m 21, and had zero idea how to do any sort of makeup in high school.)

• wanderluster66 November 27th, 2012 9:05 PM

That was wonderful! :3 Thank you so much. I was wondering what to do if my skin tends to get oily as the day goes on. I’ve used some of my friend’s rice paper before, which was really cool, but would maybe like a good moisturizer beforehand help in general?

• fullmetalguitar November 27th, 2012 10:27 PM

Rice paper is a beautiful magical invention and I love it. I even have guy friends who steal mine when I use it in the car, to look less shiny XD

• Runaway November 28th, 2012 12:25 PM

I’ve got the same problem, too!

I’ve tried lots of different moisturising + mattifying lotions by now and I’ve found that nearly ALL of them are more or less the same, from La Mer’s (which costs around 100 euros; i.e. 129.21 $!!!) to one I bought at perfume store for just 6 euros (7.75 $ – it’s useless that I tell you guys the brand ’cause it’s based in Seville and I doubt that they sell their products out of Spain).

I was going to recommend you one by La Roche Posay, which costs around 17 euros here (21.97 $), but it seems that it’s a lot more expensive in the US: http://www.laroche-posay.us/_us/_en/consumer/catalog/ByType/Oily/effaclar-mat.htm
      It’s a pity ’cause their products are really good!

Anyway, this one by L’Occitane is also really good: http://usa.loccitane.com/ultra-matte-face-fluid,82,1,29422,262741.htm

When I said that all of them are more or less the same I meant that all of them have more or less the same properties when it comes to mattifying. No matter which one I’m using, I’ll put it on my face at 8 am and I’ll need to wash my face at 3 pm (which is not bad at all considering how oily my face is!). So, I’d say that choosing one or another really depends on the texture or smell you like the best, or on if the lotion has some kind of bonus that you find useful, like having sunscreen, vitamin e, or whatever. My two favourite ones are about 10 euros (12.93 $) and I got them from a pharmacy (like a dispensary in the US, but they also sell cosmetic products which are usually better than the ones sold at drugstores and cheaper than the ones sold at…

• Runaway November 28th, 2012 12:34 PM

…fancy perfume stores). One has sunscreen and the other vitamin e and are a bit more moisturising than the cheap one I bought at the perfume store. Again, it’s useless that I tell you the brand names, ’cause they are made in two Spanish pharmaceutical laboratories.

I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful. I guess that if I were you, I’ll just go to a drugstore, perfume store or whatever and just try a few brands to see which one you like the best. But, really, as I said before, they are all more or less the same when it comes to mattifying.

PS. I didn’t buy the La Mer one, it was just a sample. :P

• Limey November 27th, 2012 9:06 PM

I have a large “port wine stain” on half of my face and it’s light pink. Do you have any tips for covering up large discolorations like my birthmark?
    Here’s a picture of a birthmark like mine (pretend it’s on an adult!)(http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/image_article_collections/mcgraw_hill_skin_atlases/childhood_skin_problems/CAPD_port_wine_stain.jpg)

• weetziebatcoolcat November 27th, 2012 9:22 PM

This is rad! I really want Petra Collins to do a tutorial on her fluffy, curly, beauteous 70′s HAYER.

• kayliemarissa November 27th, 2012 10:04 PM

One of my new years resolutions is to learn how to do makeup… For someone who is almost 20 and considerably girly in other realms, I am utterly clueless.

• ladyjenna November 27th, 2012 10:20 PM

Hella!!! So very wonderful…..never figgered out the basics so this is fantastic!!!!! Yay rookie

• AwesomeFrances November 27th, 2012 10:49 PM

I’m 26 and have avoided makeup like the plague for most of my life. Recently, I’ve started doing a few dance performances and have suddenly had to master shit like foundation and bronzer and the like. I’ve been totally clueless so this is SUPER helpful.

• Krista November 27th, 2012 11:05 PM

Is THAT how you put on bronzer??? Amy Rose, this is soooo good

• mmorsmordree November 27th, 2012 11:07 PM

I love this. I’ve been dying to know the basics of makeup for a long time considering I like to spend some free time watching makeup tutorials but I could never find a proper makeup basics video for myself. This has saved me!

• spitcurl November 27th, 2012 11:30 PM

Amy Rose is adorable!!! Such a lovable lolita! Can’t wait until next month!<3

• aylaluvsBM November 27th, 2012 11:40 PM

omg you sound just like Zooey Deschanel!

• lipstickjunkie November 27th, 2012 11:47 PM

What color should you use to contour if you have dark skin?

• Amy Rose November 28th, 2012 12:16 AM

Anything ever just so slightly darker than your natural skin color, like a shade or two, should work for contouring! Or, conversely, you can just highlight prominent angles (bridge of nose, cheekbones, jawline, etc.) as seen in the video, which will help to create a contoured effect without the extra step. X O X O A R S

• Bloom November 27th, 2012 11:50 PM

ah rookie you did it again ah i have literally zero idea about how make up works and any time i try and find something about starting a made up face it’s jusitjsaja;o impossible n this is exactly what i need thank u so much wow ur the best

• mrsfigg November 27th, 2012 11:51 PM

thank you thank you thank you — this was wonderful.

• Hannah November 27th, 2012 11:53 PM

I really need this for eyeliner. My mom has been nagging me for months because she thinks I don’t put it on right, so I’d like someone to teach me! Also, I have no idea how to do a smokey eye?

I’m also down for learning how to put on lipstick and finding your right shade!

• anisarose November 28th, 2012 1:32 AM

Not to take attention away from Amy but the absolute BEST place to learn about makeup (at least in my opinion) is YouTube!!! For anything from basics to the fancy stuff, Pixiwoo, Tanya Burr, Michelle Phan, BeautyCrush, The Beauty Department, Jessica Harlow, Nicole Guerriero, DulceCandy, and so many more have hundreds of videos up already on virtually every topic. And for great reviews, I recommend itsjudytime!

The good thing about beauty gurus is that between all of the girls and all the years they’ve been doing this, there are so many looks, reviews, recommendations, lists of favorites, and so much more that have been compiled and can easily be accessed with a little searching!

• HeartPlant November 30th, 2012 8:18 AM

I totally love Pixiwoo! Sam Chapman is amazing. Also, no one has mentioned this so far but blowing on your make up brushes isn’t good for them because it spreads bacteria. Also, wash your make up brushes, (if you use them) especially the ones you use where (if?!) you have spots because the bacteria that causes spots can be transferred to the rest of your face. Ergo, more spots.

• misspent youth November 28th, 2012 12:28 AM

does anyone have any recommendations for bb cream/tinted moisturizer for someone like me, who is very pale? everything is too yellow and tan! i’d really like that healthy, minimal coverage but i’ve searched and searched and nothing so far!

• Amy Rose November 28th, 2012 12:45 AM

Hi! As you can see, I am very pale as well. The CG one in the lightest shade is good as far as drugstore ones go, but my favorite ever for superfair skin is Dr. Jart+’s premium one:

The trick with BB cream for v. fair skin is letting it COMPLETELY dry and adjust to your skin tone before going on with the rest of your make-up repertoire.

• Tiffany November 28th, 2012 12:44 AM

“that’s a face, y’all!” amy rose you’re awesome!

• annamarie November 28th, 2012 2:53 AM

Do any New Zealand rookies have secret cheap makeup details? Because Revlon stuff is like $20-$50 here which makes me cry.

• milky November 28th, 2012 3:33 AM

what i wanna know is how to buy the right type of foundation for my skin type without having to buy several £12 bottles to test! lol

as someone who doesn’t really wear make up unless it’s a special occasion i am always surprised and impressed by how much prep work and products go into even doing a “natural” look.

• Amy Rose November 29th, 2012 1:33 PM

Hi! Go to a high-end beauty store or department store counter and test them there. Then, find a drugstore shade that matches!

• juliette November 28th, 2012 3:42 AM

Ah thankyou!
    Also, would you recommend concealer for freckles over a nose? Not like heaps and heaps of freckles just some prominent sort of ones on an otherwise freckleless face?

• Amy Rose November 29th, 2012 1:44 PM

I am SERIOUSLY OBSESSED with the CoverGirl Invisible Concealer in my video. But (and I know everyone else tells you this, but I still have to add my voice to the chorus) freckles are totally lovely, you know! And so are beauty marks and moles and etc.

• Pen Elope November 28th, 2012 4:10 AM

Thank you like a million times seriously!
    Just last week I’ve been thinking I should really figure out how to do that make up thing. I am waaaay beyond my teens and have had the same make up routine for more than ten years, basically because in school a friend told me it was what she did. And I was beginning to wonder how and when to put on all that stuff that is available and if you need it all…and how to actually look pulled together and like an adult if need be.

Also I just created an account for this =)

• Lemons November 28th, 2012 4:36 AM

Haha she’s hilarious, can’t wait to see the next one!

• vanguardinspace November 28th, 2012 9:18 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this Amy Rose. I am eighteen years old, and despite trying my best since middle school cannot put on makeup for the life of me. It’s so tiring that I usually just end up not wearing any at all, but I think it looks cute, and no one has ever been willing to show me how to do it…

• thunderbirds November 28th, 2012 11:54 AM

more,more,more,more..
    i seriously can’t get enough of you lol can’t wait to see what else you’ve got in store for us

• Ella W November 28th, 2012 12:11 PM

I love you Amy Rose!
    I don’t really have time to do all this, I am NOT a morning person, think scrambled 15 minute rush to get out of the house each day, but the tip for concealer was really good. Just BLOT BLOT BLOT!!
    Thank you so much, if I ever get up like an hour earlier, then I may just try this whole video out.

I was wondering if you could do a video for sort of simple prom makeup?
    Prom will literally be the first time I’ve worn a dress since I was 8, so I reckon I should do some pretty makeup too.
    If you could do this then that would be GREAT!

• Isil November 28th, 2012 2:02 PM

Hi, Amy Rose I’m 19, I wear make up on my lips and eyes sometimes but I’ve never tried wearing it on my face. I want to do it so much, but my friends always tell that my face already looks good and I don’t need make up, but I just WANT IT. And I think I need make up because I’m too pale. But my skin is too dry (and I have some red spots around my nose and VERY dry spots on my cheeks) and I’m getting nervous about wearing make up because I think my skin will get worse. I think it will get drier, and with time there can occur some little hollows on it… However, I don’t know if these all things are just my fantasies or are they true? Should I wear make up?

• lacecat November 28th, 2012 10:52 PM

I think you can wear makeup but just put on plenty of SPF and moisturizer.

• Amy Rose November 29th, 2012 1:38 PM

Lacecat is correct. And you can get moisturizing foundations and BB creams, as well! My advice to you is to stick with liquid formulas and stay away from powders – not because they’ll necessarily dry you out more, but they’ll look cakey on dry skin. If you’re still nervous, ask a dermatologist. You can do this thing!! Also, redness around my nose was the reason I started wearing face makeup in the first place.

• Isil November 30th, 2012 1:53 PM

Thank you so much! When I have got money I will get a mousturizer foundation and a bronzer. I didn’t know about bronzer before, I think it is a very cool thing after your video. I guess rednesses on my nose is because being dry, I don’t know. I will definitely try doing make up. It’s my only chance to be a 19 years old girl, I will use it.

• Jes November 28th, 2012 4:15 PM

#makeupprobs

• insteadofanelephant November 28th, 2012 7:41 PM

after 21 years, i guess it’s about time i learned…great tutorial!

XX
    instead of an elephant

• myownknight November 28th, 2012 7:53 PM

can, can I just say, Thank you!!! I needed this!

• lacecat November 28th, 2012 10:51 PM

This tutorial basically saved my life! <3
    I was just wondering would concealer work on acne scars too? I have a huge, red one on my face. Embarrassing but I'm just wondering because it never goes away!

• Amy Rose November 29th, 2012 1:41 PM

Concealer will lessen the appearance of the color, for sure, and probably make the whole thing less noticeable. The Dermablend one I recommended to someone upthread is good for scars!

• colorblocker November 28th, 2012 11:48 PM

Hey Amy!

Thanks for this great tutorial. Even in my 20s I’m still learning.

Quick question: I’ve always been told that makeups should be “Non-Comedogenic” and “Hypoallergenic.” What do you think? Does your BB Cream meet these qualifications?

Thanks!

• Amy Rose November 29th, 2012 1:39 PM

My BB Cream says “won’t clog pores” on the back, which is the waaaay less-fancy-sounding definition of “non-comedogenic.” Yep, it’s a good idea to stick to those kinds of products if you have touchy skin (and also probably just in general). X!

• zhajean November 29th, 2012 8:24 AM

this is a very cool tutorial! i’ll definitely try face contouring!

thanks Amy Rose!

ps: can’t wait for the next! eyes and lips :)

czarina♥

• CASH HONEY November 29th, 2012 3:32 PM

MY ROSE,
    I could watch any video of you explaining anything at anytime or anywhere because you are a perfect flower.

Rookie readers have gained the best kind of friend in you, the realest deal, that BROOKLYN bee, a Queen, a Darling, a sister, a true golden girl.

As much as I used to be a product whore for anything that sparkled or glimmered or resembled the colours of mermaids and peacocks, I have to tell you and your readers that the best shit- is all natural shit.

here’s my list of must haves that are completely chemical free and from the earth.

1. 100 % African Shea Butter

you can get this gooey stuff from any natural health food store and there are many different brands. i always opt for the one that comes in what resembles a half open coconut shell. smear the shit out of your cheeks and body and you will glow like an African Queen. it’s like a highlighter for your whole face, that catches every glimmer of light and your cheeks radiate to anyone that comes into your orbit.

2. Burt’s bee’s lip shimmer in Rhubarb

If i could kiss the person who invented this lip dream with the perfect amount of colour, I would. In fact, the only way to describe my obsession with this lipbalm is this scene with Steve Buscemi in Billy Madison, minus the list of “people to kill”. I could apply it forever- as if my lips were a racetrack I was paving with tingling mint, contemplating life on a sofa.

3. want your hair to grow as long as yoko’s?
    don’t EVER wash it. and then rub in Neem oil.

• anisarose December 4th, 2012 12:40 AM

Hurray for the But’s Bee’s Lip Shimmers!!
      I’m currently using the cherry one (it’s my fourth color of the stuff) and the product is not red at all , it’s a nice pink, so for me, it’s the perfect ‘better than natural’ lip color

• mandonna November 30th, 2012 2:35 PM

Love this tutorial! You’re a cutie pie Amy Rose!

• Evvva December 1st, 2012 11:44 AM

I finally know how to use bronzer!!! Thank you.

• Mika. December 5th, 2012 12:38 AM

Heya Rookies!

Not sure if someone has already suggested this but I would also love a hair basics tutorials.

I know people have VERY different hair but advice on different kind of curlers\straighteners\rollers would be very useful. Also different hair products like curl cream and hairspray are very confusing. So many products out there ya know?

Please help out the hair challenged! <3

• Kates18 December 8th, 2012 8:01 PM

this is wonderful- but do you have any recommendations for nice, matte bronzer that I could get at walgreens or walmart? I looked today and was totally overwhelmed!

• Kates18 December 8th, 2012 10:52 PM

whoops, never mind! I found it at Walgreens :)

• neerlandica December 12th, 2012 1:40 PM

Awesome video, you’re beautiful, and you’re the spitting image of a very awesome (pretty, talented) Dutch photographer. This is she: http://www.flickr.com/photos/loisy/sets/72057594132672917/

• liiiiily December 14th, 2012 4:43 PM

I have a question about primer for everybody, what do you think? is it a good idea? I have enlarged pores and I have heard it makes them appear smaller. Thoughts?

• pollystyrene December 26th, 2012 9:00 PM

OK, now I know how to apply foundation. Next step: figuring out how to put on mascara without stabbing myself in the eye!

• Dayzee January 2nd, 2013 3:48 PM

can you use bronzer if you have very pale skin?

• catsandsweaters February 5th, 2013 8:22 PM

I know this is a bit late, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to cover up large pores. My nose is covered with them and they’re incredibly embarrassing. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

• Love-Kira February 21st, 2013 12:37 AM

Shabang is my new favorite word! Ha ha this is really helpful thanks!