Everything else

Saturday Links: Orphaned Walrus Edition

Just look at his whiskers.

Sady
Life is hard. Sometimes you just need to chill with a baby walrus in a wading pool. Coincidentally, here’s a baby walrus in a swimming pool.

Stephanie

I have been watching this on repeat for a few different reasons: 1. The song is gorgeous. Oh the singer’s voice just gives me good chills. 2. I’m missing the West Coast this week, and the sights of San Francisco are so pretty and totally hitting the spot. 3. The story the video tells… I’ve been that guy, wanting to just run and strip away everything. It’s cathartic.

I am also super excited about seeing Bikini Kill celebrate the 20th anniversary of the release of their first EP (it came out in October 1992). They’ve got a great website up with new merch, and in November they will be reiussing their debut on vinyl with all sorts of cool extras, like a fanzine. But the best thing from them this week was Kathleen Hanna’s blog post where she talked about her bandmate Tobi Vail’s writing, Tobi’s new song for Pussy Riot, and her thoughts on the next generation of feminism.

Dylan
I don’t know if I can even write about this because I can’t even breathe OH MY GOD BABIES.

Naomi
The story of Malala Yousafzai, a really brave girl from Pakistan who was shot this week by the Taliban for blogging, really puts things in perspective and reminds me how important it is to help young girls all over the world.

Alexa Chung is beautiful and smart. But seriously, here is another perfect example of calling out people who won’t shut up about women’s bodies. It’s really coherent and refreshing. Go Alexa!

Arabelle

So Julia Gillard is not a perfect politician, but regardless of her other policies her smackdown in this video is AMAZING and inspiring. I just wanna frame this video on my wall and salute her.

Anna
Mallory Ortberg’s literature correspondence series at the Hairpin is equal parts smart, silly, and hilarious, and this week’s Texts From Little Women does not disappoint. She gets the personalities of the characters DOWN in just a few short texts.

Amy Rose
Jarvis Cocker of Pulp, one of the world’s best bands, reviewed a new collection of John Lennon’s letters and simultaneously stole my heart, as he does whenever he sings or writes or breathes. I haven’t read the book yet, but the review is golden on its own.

Emma
Harris Savides died this week. Even if you don’t know his name, you know his work–he was a cinematographer for Sofia Coppola, Woody Allen, Noah Baumbach, Gus Van Sant, and more of your favorite directors. The world is decidedly less good-looking now.

Anaheed
In May This American Life did a live show, “The Invisible Made Visible,” that was simulcast in movie theaters in the U.S. and Canada. It included an amazing story by a guy named Ryan Knighton about getting lost in a hotel room (he’s blind). Ira Glass, who hosts that show (and who is my husband, but don’t worry, I’m not about to plug something of his), sent the cartoonist Chris Ware a map of the actual room, and asked if he could make a drawing of what it would look like if you were standing in it; the plan was to project this drawing behind Ryan as he spoke. I’ll let Ira explain from here:

This is an example of the overachieving, leave-no-detail-untouched simplicity and beauty of Chris Ware’s work. He agreed to draw the backdrop as a favor to me. I asked if he could make two drawings—one daytime, one nighttime. One day later, he handed in this gorgeous little animated film, which, as you’ll see, goes so much further than my idea. Typical. Amazing. Weirdly emotional for a drawing with no living things in it.

This week someone on Reddit asked Ira what it was like to work with Chris, which led his radio show to post the video on YouTube:

• M.Rose October 13th, 2012 12:25 PM

These are all things that I love. Actually, a lot of them (okay, 2) I even featured on my blog.
    Check it: http://fledglingstyle.blogspot.co.uk/

• Ella W October 13th, 2012 12:27 PM

OMG Dylan, that kitty cat and dog are TOO CUTE!!!!!! Has cheered my day right up!

• ladyjenna October 13th, 2012 12:28 PM

Wow arabelle – thanks for sharing. What a powerful video.

• Eryn October 13th, 2012 1:03 PM

Bikini Kill and baby animals and a powerful smackdown… such a great post.

• Serena.K October 13th, 2012 1:21 PM

baby animals, jarvis cocker, and female politicians kicking ass. just what i needed to cheer myself up.

• Lascelles October 13th, 2012 2:02 PM

Rooney Mara with a bass is my highlight for the week :D Kinda sad I already know about 6/8 of these things. Every time I saw something about Malala I was like OMG Rookie is going to write about that this weekend. Rookie should just color its hair tips pink to shakes things up :D

• Abby October 13th, 2012 2:10 PM

Just… this. http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/12/world/americas/canada-teen-bullying/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

• Sorcha October 13th, 2012 4:59 PM

Suddenly weekends! Thanks guys.

• youngfridays October 13th, 2012 5:40 PM

f yeah Australia ♥

• WitchesRave October 13th, 2012 6:42 PM

God, the Julia Gillard video brought angry and proud tears to my eyes,
    Fuck yeah feminism and standing up to assholes!

p.s. just ordered my rookie yearbook!

witches-rave.tumblr.com

• Lucy October 13th, 2012 9:11 PM

She’s not perfect, but Julia Gillard’s speech here makes me very proud to be a ‘modern Australian woman.’

• Minnah October 14th, 2012 1:21 AM

Ugh, right? She’s getting a lot of shade for this already (lol of course) but I really wish she would be passionate/candid like this more often.

• litchick October 13th, 2012 9:41 PM

“Texts from Little Women” = hilarious!
    P.s. This is off-topic but I’m not sure where else to ask this: is it too late to submit work for the Invention theme? (I mean “too late” in terms of the amount of submissions you’ve recieved and have space for?)

• Anaheed October 14th, 2012 12:22 AM

Not too late! Please send!

• Lucy23 October 13th, 2012 9:55 PM

That Little Women thing made my day.

• victoria October 13th, 2012 11:22 PM

GILLARD FOR BAD BITCH BRIGADE (in that one video lol I mean)

• raggedyanarchy October 14th, 2012 1:35 AM

OHMYGOD baby animals! Too cute!

• cicconeyouth October 14th, 2012 2:24 AM

Didn’t know it was the Bikini Kill anniversary, hooray! To celebrate, I just bought the pink record player shirt. BRB ALREADY CHECKING MY MAILBOX.

• TessaTheTeenageWitch October 14th, 2012 6:03 AM

My god Julia Gillard may be a less-than-brilliant politician BUT BOY CAN SHE SPEAK. Just like a suckerpunch to the gonads.

• TessaTheTeenageWitch October 14th, 2012 6:03 AM

omg did I just say gonads?

• Lila Gracie October 14th, 2012 8:18 AM

very rarely do i feel any pride in my country, as Australia seems to be known for bogan, misogynistic, racist arseholes who i am very happy to disassociate myself with, but this past week i have been very very pleased to say that Julia Gillard is my prime minister, and she’s an angry well informed woman who can totally shut down tony abbott, the dumbest fuck of a man who happens to lead the opposition party in our government. he’s a misogynistic dickhead, and good on you Gillard for finally putting him in his place.

• Megan Anne October 14th, 2012 12:33 PM

I’m really liking the weekend stuff! that walrus is just so cute…

decayingteeth.tumblr.com

• Jes October 14th, 2012 11:45 PM

I wish that Obama could be as much of an opinionated, angry badass as Julia Gillard without putting himself into the middle of a giant shitstorm from the American public and media. I’ve never heard him be that forceful and angry. I don’t think he could get away with it.

Also, LOL about everyone moaning and groaning during that speech. Added a sort of circus element to the whole proceeding.

• cristal22 October 15th, 2012 11:16 PM

Stephanie!!
    I have played social studies – terracur
    i am in love!!! i have spread the the word that they are ….awesome!!!!