Movies + TV

Literally the Best Thing Ever: PBS Cartoons

Anthropomorphic animals offering life lessons. What more could I want?

Molly McDonald, my favorite Arthur character.

For a number of years now, I have kept a secret: I love the PBS Kids Go! cartoons that aired on weekday afternoons from 3 to 4:30 PM in New York City in the mid-2000s (and which continue to air today). I know that I am not the target audience for such programming, but ever since the fateful summer of 2004, when I moved out of the college dorms and into my own apartment, with no money (and maybe no desire) for cable, PBS was my only friend. It was the only channel I could watch (I had rabbit ears on the TV and everything!), and those being pre-Netflix days, the only one I did watch. During those first three or four months, when I had a lot of free time between summer courses and a part-time job, I developed a fondness for those cartoon characters, like Snook, the super rad sloth from It’s a Big Big World; Cleo, Clifford the Big Red Dog’s poodle friend; and, of course, Arthur.

Throughout the years, even as I moved to apartments with nice televisions and too many available channels, I would inevitably end up watching Arthur on my lazy afternoons. The moment I heard the opening chords of the series’ super-happy theme song by Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers, my worries drifted away. Arthur Read is an eight-year-old aardvark living in fictional Elwood City with his parents, sisters D.W. and Kate, and a dog named Pal. This is classic educational storytelling, so there’s always an array of diverse characters teaching us—and by “us” I mean me and some actual kids—literally everything about living so that we become decent human creatures. Although the show centers on Arthur, it’s his friends and Elwood City’s other inhabitants that really make the series for me. After watching 16 years’ worth of episodes, I’ve gotten to know their idiosyncrasies quite well! Arthur’s classmate George is a moose who suffers from nosebleeds and carries around a giraffe puppet named Wally, which is a little bit creepy. The Tibble Twins terrorize D.W., but they bring all the fun to the episodes. And my absolute favorite character is Molly—she goes to the same school as Arthur and is a member of the Tough Customers, the best-named gang of bullies ever. She wears a denim vest and ripped jeans and has thick bangs that cover half of her face—plus, she skateboards AND plays the guitar! She’s usually in the background of playground scenes, but I love her because she is a total badass.

The story lines are just as lively. The best episode in recent history is “Muffy and the Big Bad Blog.” I recommend you watch it as soon as humanly possible, because it is the most exquisite reflection of modern times ever captured on television. Basically, Muffy becomes obsessed with blogging to the point where she can’t enjoy real life anymore, because she’s too busy trying to write everything down in The Muffington Post (for cryin’ out loud!). She even gets in a fight with her best friend, Francine, after she publishes some of Francine’s personal emails. IT IS RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES!

Another time, an entire episode was devoted to architecture (bonus Frank Gehry cameo!), and Arthur’s friend Buster, who is obsessed with food, designed a tree house made out of pizza, which is exactly what I wish the Rookie offices looked like in real life.

Next up is Martha Speaks, a cartoon about a yellow dog that can talk, thanks to an alphabet-soup malfunction—on the way to her stomach, the noodle letters got lost and traveled to her brain instead (of course!). This theme song might actually be my most favorite. The guy that sings it has a super-soothing voice, the kind that really only exists in children’s programming. Second, Martha does this great little dance while she’s singing, one that I can imagine a real dog doing, and then she sings, “HYPERVENTILATE!” after running out of breath. She sounds like Friends’ Phoebe Buffay on too much Red Bull, and it is really, really cute. Martha’s held a few jobs: she’s been a telemarketer, a substitute teacher, and a translator for the local veterinarian. But the best thing about her is that she has a dark past—she used to work with thieves! Which is kinda twisted for PBS, but I LOVE IT! I’ve always thought the reasoning for Martha’s ability was totally creative, and my favorite episodes are the ones that explore/exploit this phenomenon, like when the soup company decides to cut costs by taking some of the letters out of the soup, and as a result, Martha can’t speak properly! The whole thing is so ridiculous, and yet it makes perfect sense in a world imagined from a child’s perspective, or if you bend the rules of reality just a tad.

Then it’s time for WordGirl. In case you haven’t noticed, the theme songs are important to me, and this one is outrageously dramatic, like the the Batman theme meets VH1 Divas. WordGirl is an alien from the planet Lexicon (get it?) who was adopted by the Botsford family and goes by Becky. Her pet monkey, Captain Huggy Face, is a former pilot whom the family renames Bob. The series is a classic superhero tale that also takes care to teach some new words in preparation for a lifetime of standardized tests! There’s a Powerpuff Girls vibe to the crisp, bold animation, but the thing that really made me stop and pay attention was the realization that SNL’s Chris Parnell contributes a number of voices to the show, including that of the narrator. (Kristen Schaal, whom we adore from 30 Rock AND Bob’s Burgers, and Kevin McDonald, one of my favorite funny dudes ever, from the awesome ’90s sketch comedy The Kids in the Hall, voice other characters.) I love how the writers have created such an ODD world for WordGirl, filled with bonkers food references. There are delightfully ridiculous villains like the Butcher, who can make meat materialize out of thin air, and then literally bury WorldGirl in heaps of pastrami. Other villains include the Baker, Kid Potato, Chuck the Evil Sandwich-Making Guy, and the Masked Meat Marauder, who tries to defeat the Butcher with FANCIER meat, hurling filet mignon in a cognac sauce at his enemies. That took my love for this show to another level, because holy moly! A meat battle!

My favorite villain, however, is not named after food. Lady Redundant Woman, an ex-copy-shop employee who breaks bad after an on-site accident allows her to copy herself, uses the copies as her minions—which is totally punk rock. I don’t know, I just kinda want her to win sometimes. I basically want all my shows to be a perfect mix of nonsense and food references.

But once the Cyberchase theme song came on, I knew it was time to leave the house or take a nap Cyberchase is about math, but in an obvious way, AND it features the voice of Gilbert Gottfried, so it’s just not my cup of tea.

Even though I did get Netflix a few years ago, I continue to watch these cartoons. It’s a break from all the X-Files and intense crime dramas I rent. And sometimes I just miss being a kid. These cartoons are my sanity. They fill my brain with positive vibez and make me hate the world just a little less. ♦

• Claire October 9th, 2012 7:09 PM

This makes me so, so blissfully happy. PBS cartoons were the only shows I was allowed to watch as a little kid, and I dreamed of a life where I could ride bikes to the Sugar Bowl with my friends (no adult supervision!) and live on a freaking ISLAND like Emily Elizabeth and Clifford the Big Red Dog. Even as a legal adult, I still enjoy watching these shows, and I quite like Word Girl too…I have 3 younger sisters, and it makes me happy that they like it so much (:

• guiltfreedonut October 10th, 2012 1:23 AM

I think my childhood wish was to have a sugar bowl. Or “The Brain’s” family’s ice cream shop. Or Francine’s father’s awesome garbage yard.

• suburban grrrl October 9th, 2012 7:17 PM

I used to have the “D.W. Is A Picky Eater” computer game because my parents were trying to send me some sort of message. . . PBS and Arthur were/are such important parts of my life! I mean I love Big Bird but let’s save Arthur!

• bookworm123 October 9th, 2012 7:24 PM

OH MY GOD. PBS Kids Go! was my LIFE. We didn’t have cable until maybe 4th grade, and I did not care at all–and continued to watch it after we got cable. Arthur is actually my favorite thing ever. And the guest stars! Matt Damon! It is a bit frightening the number of everyday things that I can relate to Arthur.

But seriously, it is all awesome (Martha Speaks is adorrrrable) and thanks again for reading my mind.

• umi October 9th, 2012 7:25 PM

i have two younger brothers who love word girl and arthur and i always watch it with them~ they’re actually really awesome cartoons and i still stay all the way till the end of each arthur episode to see buster’s travel thing and marc brown’s drawing session

cyberchase is AWESOME OMG i watch it all the time (((and when i need some brushing up on math)))

• Moxx October 9th, 2012 7:29 PM

I THOUGHT (still think) THAT MOLLY MCDONALD WAS THE COOLEST!!!

• Morgz October 9th, 2012 7:45 PM

Oh my gosh… I freakin love Arthur! That’s seriously that best show ever made. I’m glad to find someone else who share the love.
    ARTHUR FEREVER

• Kathryn October 9th, 2012 7:47 PM

THEY STILL MAKE ARTHUR?? That makes me super happy. Also, I’m pretty sure I read the book Martha Speaks is based on when I was little because that whole alphabet soup scenario sounds familiar.

• -alexandra- October 9th, 2012 7:48 PM

one of the only reasons i’m passing APUSH this year is because of Liberty’s Kids!!

• Abby October 9th, 2012 9:21 PM

OMGEEE SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS LIBERTY’S KIDS????????? Seriously, the other day, I went on a youtube rampage in which I went through the theme songs of all the tv shows I used to watch, and I got to the Liberty’s Kids one, and I cried. Seriously. I was seriously like “MY CHILDHOOD IS OVER WAAAAHHHHH” and my roommate just looked at me funny… It was awful… I miss being a kid so much…

• Maddy October 9th, 2012 9:39 PM

haha i recommended it to my class but the whole series only goes to the end of the American Revolution! So it’s good for the first 1-2 tests.

• marimba_girl October 9th, 2012 10:06 PM

that show was legit. i remember watching like 10 eps. is a row once…or twice

• Bree October 9th, 2012 7:54 PM

Not gonna lie, Arthur always has been and always will be my favorite show EVER!!!! The part of the episode about visiting the archaeology site in which Mr. Ratburn yells “Quietttttttttttttttttttttttt!” is the best!

• Abby October 9th, 2012 8:00 PM

OMG. When I got on Rookie this morning and saw that there was going to be something that involved Arthur, I almost screamed… seriously. I LOVE ARTHUUURRRR….

• MissKnowItAll October 9th, 2012 8:02 PM

excuse me while I weep tears of joy. I still watch arthur and I love all of PBS. In stark contrast to Disney and NIckelodeon, PBS doesn’t distract from good ol’e television. I love Arthur so much because it gives so much perspective and undertsnading. In one episode, George meets a boy who has autism and in his dream, Arthur narrarates what autisim really is. I watched this when I met my first autistic friend and it actually made sense to me. It also deal with divorce (Buster’s parents) and breaking up ( Buster’s mom and her boyfriend). But I love the brother-sister relationships it portrays and it really ehlped me put my own brother sister relationship into perspective. Plus, Arthur has the best cameos.

• MissKnowItAll October 9th, 2012 8:03 PM

My favorite Arthur episode is probably the 5 minute to win it one.

• Sputnick October 9th, 2012 8:10 PM

Whoever came up with the name “Lady Redundant Woman” is my favorite. You should have mentioned Wordgirl’s family, they’re so suburban-beautiful!

• uaresoawesome October 9th, 2012 8:11 PM

Okay, I seriously love you guys. Plus this has somewhat awkward timing, considering the whole Romney vs. PBS/Big Bird crap. But, oh my goodness, I LIVED off of these, including Sagwa the Siamese Cat, Bob the Builder, Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, ZOOM (Yay!), Dragon Tales, The Magic School Bus, Teletubbies(I had a onesie and the plushies!), George Shrinks, JayJay the Jet Plane, Reading Rainbow, Cailou,Clifford, and BETWEEN THE LIONS.Not to mention everything else you said in the article! Except I liked Cyberchase. I just did. Sorry if this is too long, but PBS is just so perfect. I know you agree. Do you guys watch these? Can we fangirl together?

• uaresoawesome October 9th, 2012 8:16 PM

P.S. Oh, and Liberty Kids! That is totally the reason why I’m a high honors Social Studies student.Seriously, when Arnold Schwarzenegger is pretty much telling you what’s going on in the Revolutionary War, you are going to enjoy it. And anyone remember in that episode (of Arthur) when Arthur cuts his hand on a can and it gets infected? It’s the episode that for some reason I remember the easiest.

• SoPoe October 9th, 2012 8:41 PM

I remember that episode! And he doesn’t tell his parents. That always made me a afraid of junkyards and strange colored metal. Also, Dragon Tales and Magic School Bus were awesome. I always wanted my teacher to change us into some sort of animal and let us experience things first hand like Ms. Frizzle.

• MissKnowItAll October 9th, 2012 8:48 PM

god bless sagwa and her brother and sister cat

• Abby October 9th, 2012 9:23 PM

OH MY GOD SAGWA AND MAGIC SCHOOL BUS AND DRAGON TALES AND ARTHUR AND LIBERTY’S KIDS AND EVERYTHING OH MY GOD I’M NOT A KID ANYMORE…. T_T

• anoziram October 10th, 2012 4:16 AM

OH MY GOD
        LIBERTY KIDS
        I REMEMBER THAT
        I thought it was the coolest show in the whole entire world.

• modaboutyouu October 11th, 2012 2:22 AM

YES! I LOVED Arthur, Sagwa the Siamese Chinese Cat, and Dragon Tales! I grew up with a single parent and my mom could only afford basic cable ($10 a month!), so PBS was all I could watch. I swear, though, they had the best shows. Haha I remember when Arthur had a special with the Backstreet Boys and I specifically taped it because Arthur and the Backstreet Boys were two of my favourite things. (:

• joenjwang October 10th, 2012 1:52 AM

you are like my soul mate. I LOVE ALL THE SHOWS YOU MENTIONED…except jayjay. That one scared me ALOT when I was younger. I lovedddd George Shrinks and Anne of Green Gables and Angelina Ballerina AND MISTER ROGERSSSSAHHH

• uaresoawesome December 19th, 2012 5:52 PM

Oh, me and Jayjay had a love/hate relationship. It scared the shit out of me, but I loved watching it anyways. I have no clue why. I thought those things were absolutely demented! :D

• anoziram October 10th, 2012 4:18 AM

yes we can fangirl together.
      lets just leave it at ROOKIE IS THE CHIZ.
      I babysit all the time for little kids who are still into PBS stuff instead of this new Disney Channel crap so I get to watch all of this frequently.
      Arthur will always have a place in my heart.

• litchick October 9th, 2012 8:11 PM

I totally agree with you about Molly! … And Cyberchase, for that matter. ;)

• Abby October 10th, 2012 10:48 AM

CYBERCHAAASSSEEEEE……

• jenaimarley October 9th, 2012 8:20 PM

And Romney would cut the funding for all this!!!

• Abby October 10th, 2012 10:48 AM

I couldn’t stop thinking about that the WHOLE TIME I was watching the debate and reading this…. That butthead….

• jenaimarley October 12th, 2012 12:52 AM

The kid I babysit BURST into tears at the idea that Romney would fire Big Bird.

• teenidle October 9th, 2012 8:31 PM

I’ve never loved a show quite as much as Arthur. Arthur defined my childhood, but then it stayed with me through Middle and High School because it was conveniently the only thing on after I got home from school. They keep producing new episodes! And just ahhh.

Can we also give a shout out to the music? Arthur’s Almost Live Not Real CD or Tape was the soundtrack to my childhood let’s be honest.

• anoziram October 10th, 2012 4:16 AM

HOLY CRAP.
      HOLY CRAP.
      I have that CD. and I listen to it. and it’s on my iPod. “Crazy Bus” came on shuffle once at my birthday party this year. I WILL NEVER LIVE IT DOWN. aside from that isnt it the best thing ever?!?!?!?

• all-art-is-quite-useless October 10th, 2012 1:04 PM

crazy bus is the best arthur song! closely followed by the one that goes “Having fun isn’t hard when you’ve got a library card!”

• Josefina October 9th, 2012 8:32 PM

Ooooh this is REALLY the best thing ever! Now I don’t feel so guilty when I’m asked “what series would you love to have on DVD?” and I’m DYING to answer “well, Clifford, it’s literally the best thing ever!”. And I don’t feel guilty anymore either about spending entire afternoons watching Arthur! I too miss watching children’s programmes, and Discovery Kids just ain’t the same anymore.
    I love Arthur too! My favourites are Buster, Brain and George, who by the way is also dyslexic because Arthur tries to bring as many different traits as possible, I find. Arthur is really, really good, and I think its educational value indeed can teach people our age as well! I didn’t know how to talk to someone with cancer until I watched the episode about the lunch lady having cancer (all with mr. Lance Armstrong helping them to raise funds for her treatment!).

• joenjwang October 10th, 2012 1:49 AM

I would love to have the ORIGINAL Angelina Ballerina series on DVD. Sigh.. I dislike the new computer-y lame story one. Bleh.

• Josefina October 10th, 2012 9:33 PM

I know! I like old-style book-to-cartoon animation, with rough lines and not many shadows and lots of pastels. It really evokes a childlike imagination.
        Whenever I have children I’ll just get them the TV serials that I liked on DVD, or whatever comes in the future… today’s children’s programmes are awful and not very pretty!
        I hope you find the original Angelina Ballerina someday! There are always the books in case you can’t find the DVDs anywhere, ever, ever. x

• SoPoe October 9th, 2012 8:35 PM

Fetch with Ruff Ruffman, ZOOM, and Wishbone were my favorites. Wishbone has forever made me a reader mainly ue to the episode about the book Time Machine. Arthur will always be a staple in my PBS appetite, (I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Christmas special they play every Christmas. I watch every year). Between the Lions was just fun to watch because the dad kind of reminded me of what Ozzy Osborne would look like as a librarian lion. (I never got that the title was a reference to “Between the Lines” until I was older)

• marimba_girl October 9th, 2012 10:05 PM

ZOOM WAS MY JAM!!!! AND WISHBONE TOO!!

• umi October 9th, 2012 10:54 PM

FETCH WITH RUFF RUFFMAN I LOVE THAT SHOW SO MUCH

• uaresoawesome December 19th, 2012 5:57 PM

SAME HERE I always wanted to get on that show!

• Emelie October 10th, 2012 8:16 AM

I LOVED Wishbone. Also, the Rip Van Winkle episode was the reason I was the only kid in my 8th grade English class who aced the test on the book, since there was a substitute teacher mixup and our class was given the test without having been assigned the story. Seriously, though, Wishbone was amazing!

• Rosie October 9th, 2012 8:40 PM

PBS shows were, and still are, literally my life. Unfortunately I come home from school at around 4:00, so most of the cartoons are already over, but I pretty much spent most of my elementary and most of middle school days enjoying the likes of Arthur and his friends (I also tolerated the educational parts of The Electric Company, mostly craving the story)

• anoziram October 10th, 2012 4:14 AM

OH MY GOODNESS THE ELECTRIC COMPANY. that show makes my life.

• grrrlinacoma October 9th, 2012 8:57 PM

THOSE WERE THE HAPPIEST YEARS OF MY LIFE. i miss them so much…… <3

• poison ivy October 9th, 2012 9:04 PM

oh, I used to love cyberchase! I never really watched wordgirl, i was too old by then. but i do have some arthur VHS episodes that i would watch when i was sick. I can quote them by now.

• anisarose October 9th, 2012 9:07 PM

PBS kids shows are the best!! I used to have multiple Arthur computer games that I was OBSESSED with in elementary school and I have to admit… I watched Word Girl and Fetch with my little sister back when she was into it. There’s something really special about a kids show that manages to be funny (Adventure Time, Spongebob, Courage the Cowardly Dog, etc) because they can’t rely heavily on sex to get laughs. In ‘adult’ shows and sitcoms, every episode is about who the characters are dating or sleeping with and I think that plot gets lazy and boring after a while. Thank goodness for PBS and other networks who produce good quality shows for kids (and sometimes their older sisters)!

• Maddy October 9th, 2012 9:45 PM

George! He’s the best. You forgot that he’s dyslexic. :)

I liked Cyberchase, even though the math is just like arithmatic and stuff. Yeah, I watched it for the “Real Life” episodes and the cool world they went to.
    Woohoo WGBH made Arthur, you guys.

• joenjwang October 10th, 2012 1:47 AM

LOL, I loved cyber chase Real Life. Have you guys been seeing the girl in the cereal and samsung commercials? hahahaha I wonder if other PBS-ites have spotted her.

• Emily October 9th, 2012 9:51 PM

My first and middle name combine to make me “Emily Elizabeth” (and I will never let that down Mom! Clifford was around before I was booorn!)

So naturally I watched the bageesus out of Clifford for that reason, and also because its about DOGS and all I’ve ever wanted is a dog. (Again, Mom seriously.)

But I hadn’t watched Martha Speaks until like three weeks ago and it was with my friends 3 year old sister and again it is a show about a dog so I think it is awesome.
    (Probably why I watched Courage the cowardly DOG, Garfield, Blues Clues, SCOOBY DOO OMG, and WISHBONE. Wow this article is making me realize how deeply embedded into my life Wanting A Dog is.)

But anyway PBS cartoons pretty much raised me so I lurve you thanks. <3<3<3

• marimba_girl October 9th, 2012 10:04 PM

Arthur is the best!!!! My mom and I quote it all of the time and make references that no one else understands and it is beautiful! Por exemlpo, we will start singing A-A-R-D-V-A-R-K!!! much to the confusion of everyone around us :)

• ivoire October 9th, 2012 10:14 PM

yesssss arthur is my all time fave. taught me so much about lyf!!!! and also, BEN TEN IS SUCH A GOOD SHOW.

• Sssophiabh October 9th, 2012 10:15 PM

My friends made a zine dedicated to Arthur and it’s AWESOME:

• all-art-is-quite-useless October 10th, 2012 1:08 PM

it looks amazing…

• SpencerBowie October 9th, 2012 10:50 PM

YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW!!!!

ARTHUR IS MY LIFE!!!!

<3 so much, still. At age 22. No shame. Period.

P.S: Zoom was the shit.

• Juli October 9th, 2012 11:23 PM

Last week, I caught the episode of Arthur where him and Buster go to New York City. Damn, those kids know how travel.

• Aubrey October 9th, 2012 11:39 PM

SERIOUSLY this is exactly my life. I was babysitting the other day and I MADE the kids watch Arthur just so that I could have an excuse to sing the theme song loudly and dance around in ecstasy so this whole deal just makes me SO SO happy UGH.

- aubrey

• emilyowls October 9th, 2012 11:42 PM

Am I the only one who completely DESPISED (still despises) the show Caillou? I think it was on PBS too. Literally the worst thing ever.

Also the kids on Arthur are inappropriately independent. I love it.

• joenjwang October 10th, 2012 1:45 AM

I loved caillou when it had the puppets and the cat read and wrote odes. Now a days it’s kinda boring and whiny.

• barbroxursox October 9th, 2012 11:58 PM

This is why we can’t let Mitt Romney stop government funding for PBS! What a coincidence that this came out right before the election…

• barbroxursox October 10th, 2012 12:00 AM

OH MY GOD, does anybody remember JEKYLL JEKYLL HYDE JEKYLL HYDE HYDE JEKYLL!

• guiltfreedonut October 10th, 2012 1:16 AM

YES. that scared me so much!

• mulberry October 12th, 2012 12:28 PM

AAAAAHHHH YESSSS!!!!!!!
        Jekyll Jekyll Hyde Jekyll HYDE HYDE Jekyll
        Jekyll Jekyll Hyde Jekyll Hyyyyyyyyyde
        Jekyll Jekyll Hyde Jekyll HYDE HYDE Jekyll
        Jekyll Jekyll Hyde Jekyll Hyyyyyyyyyde!

Soooo goood

• guiltfreedonut October 10th, 2012 1:15 AM

OMG ARTHUR IS MY LIFE. It’s the only show my parents actually didn’t mind watching when I was little. Occasionally i’ll watch an episode on Youtube for old times sake but I haven’t seen any of the really recent ones– so excited to watch the blogging one! The Muffington Post?! AHHHHH

• cristal22 October 10th, 2012 1:43 AM

YES YES YES !!!
    I’m 16 and i still come home and watch ARTHUR .I love that show.It’s a good wholesome show.Its funny and can be enjoyed by anyone :)i love how there are so many kinds of characters .you know theres girly girls .girls into spooky stuff .tomboys etc…
    I’m happy you guys enjoy kpbs too.
    :) thank you :)

• joenjwang October 10th, 2012 1:44 AM

WOW so many kindred souls here. I love ARTHUR (but I like the earlier seasons more…they felt more realistic to me. . . less “teach-y” or whatever) and I love alllllll PBS kids shows. ALL OF THEM. I love wordworld and curious george even thought I know how to read and sound out letters, LOL. <3 I want to work for PBS

• anoziram October 10th, 2012 4:20 AM

I just want to make it clear here that Rookie makes my life.
    where else would I get to fangirl about the shows that made my childhood and not be ashamed of it?
    Thank you.
    so much.
    ARTHUR FOREVER
    oh and Liberty Kids?! I loved that show so much. and CYBERCHASE. Hacker was so cool, I just can’t even…

• raggedyanarchy October 10th, 2012 11:30 AM

YES! When I was a kid, I wanted to be a Tough Customer so bad! I wanted to wear cut-off denim vests and have a cool hair cut! I wanted to wear a studded collar and never do my homework and be mysterious! Alas, I thought I would be forever stuck in Arthur’s social group, always one cool-level behind the older kids.

• Maialuna October 10th, 2012 7:07 PM

Oh my goodness. I love you. Those three shows are the best on PBS and they make me so happy. I also love Fetch, but they stopped making it. :/

• piamamamia October 10th, 2012 8:08 PM

Oh my god.. this literally made my life.
    Arthur is my favorite PBS show, I’ve been a loyal viewer since I was in 1st grade!!!! Now I’m a junior in high school and I STILL watch it. In fact, I just watched it today! Entertainment never fails.
    I love how Arthur has gotten modern too… especially love the cameos! (my favorite was Mr. Rogers)
    Too cool man. PBS ftw.

• jeans kinda girl October 10th, 2012 8:34 PM

So THAT’s what Arthur is…an aardvark. I learn something new every day. And I still have the stuffed Cleo purple poodle sitting on my bed :)

• Lascelles October 10th, 2012 11:17 PM

I liked Prunella. I could totally relate to her. She was always kinda out of place, even rude and yet totally arrogant and unaware of it. She had a good heart though… and a haunted locker :D

• Abi October 11th, 2012 11:38 AM

D.W was awesome!

• Krusmynta October 11th, 2012 3:40 PM

I cannot watch anything else than programmes on cooking, cartoons and other kids TV.
    I grew up with Moomin, all of Astrid Lindgrens shows (except Karlsson på taget) and so many many more shows/stories that I still watch/read almost everyday.
    Oh! Two very important series: Courage the Cowardly Dog and the Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack !

• Krusmynta October 11th, 2012 3:42 PM

and I forgot: the Moomin stories (the books and ‘striber’) are not kids stories – they are more adult stories because they are so smart and beautiful.

• mulberry October 12th, 2012 12:33 PM

YES. YES YES YES YES YES. Oh my god yes.

Also: LITTLE BEAR!!! That show makes me dream of lighthearted wandering days in picturesque forests and picnics and coming home and eating things with jam, and fall leaves on the ground and daydreams and snowy winters with cocoa
    it is tooooo perfect.
    Honestly, I have dreamed and wished so many times that I could just hop into an episode of Little Bear and live there forever. For now I will have to hunt down all the pretty piano music they use in the show and listen to that on my iPod while walking through autumnal landscapes…..

• lucylu October 12th, 2012 10:16 PM

my sister loves wordgirl! and honestly i think its great too. actually just today my sister and i visited the wordgirl studios for her “make a wish”! everyone there was super great and she got to record with the butcher!

• Laia October 17th, 2012 9:07 AM

whoa thats incredible! sending all my best vibez to your sister <3<3

• marengo October 14th, 2012 6:40 PM

I LOVE THIS

I was like pleasepleasepleaseplease mention Lady Redundant Woman and then I scrolled down and my life was complete! I always say Lady Redundant Woman when someone says something redundantly and no one gets it D:

And of course, Arthur and Martha Speaks are fantastic.

• oriana October 15th, 2012 3:43 PM

SO. MUCH. YES.

• Bridie October 18th, 2012 6:19 PM

Did you see the episode where Molly, Muffy and Francine, realize there are only bad parts for girls in movies ? Then they make their own! It’s fucking cool.

• Cutesycreator aka Monica November 1st, 2012 5:05 PM

I AM FEELING SO MUCH JOY RIGHT NOW. This article is basically my childhood as a nutshell.

• Cutesycreator aka Monica November 1st, 2012 5:05 PM