Fun

How to Make a Layup

And a free throw, and a three-pointer.

When I was in the 12th grade, I chose to go to an Elton John/Billy Joel concert instead of playing in a school basketball game. For an entire day, this was a pretty big controversy in my high school’s basketball community. My coach, teammates, and, weirdly, guys from the men’s team came up to me, upset or perplexed about my decision. The whole situation was strange, especially because I wasn’t even one of the better players on the team—I wasn’t a total benchwarmer, but I also wasn’t essential to gameplay in any way. Clearly, these people took basketball super seriously, while I played for fun and wasn’t going to let the sport stop me from seeing the John/Joel “Face to Face” tour.

I may never be the kind of person who chooses basketball over hearing “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” live, but I do enjoy the game, and after years of playing it, I (a) am almost always able to win the biggest prize at any carnival or amusement park basketball game, and (b) can show you how to execute a few basic shots.

• anisarose October 4th, 2012 7:20 PM

The video wouldn’t load even after refreshing the page a few times but I imagine that it’s adorable and I’ll watch it when I come back at 11 :)

• Anaheed October 4th, 2012 7:29 PM

Is everyone having this problem? Anisarose, can you tell me what browser you’re using?

• umi October 4th, 2012 7:33 PM

im having the same problem :3

• Katherine October 4th, 2012 7:52 PM

It works through Safari.

• RainingMiceAndMen October 4th, 2012 9:17 PM

really? I’m using safari too, but it doesn’t work.

• Cookies-Candles October 5th, 2012 2:13 AM

I’m using Safari too and it doesn’t work.

• ickyteenagegirl October 4th, 2012 7:34 PM

It didn’t load for me either, I’m using Firefox and it said, “Sorry, There was an error encountered while loading this video.”

• MissKnowItAll October 4th, 2012 7:39 PM

im on google chrome and it wont work

• Anaheed October 4th, 2012 7:49 PM

Try again now, guys. It seems to have been a hiccup at Vimeo.

• Jemima October 4th, 2012 7:53 PM

Ah you’re really good! I wish basketball was more popular in England… We have netball, but it’s just not as fun :(

• Anna F. October 4th, 2012 8:14 PM

What is netball? Explain everything.

• Megann16 October 4th, 2012 9:28 PM

we have netball in Australia too, you can play basketball but it’s not as popular among girls. I guess it’s kind of like basketball but each player is only allowed in certain sections of the court, you can’t run with the ball and there is no backboard :)
        its big in australia and new zealand
        you obvs wouldn’t need to watch the whole video but here is one where we got beaten!

all these strange overseas sports!

• Graciexx October 11th, 2012 7:52 PM

I live in aus but most of my fam is kiwi and so i always have a super hard time deciding who to go for. when i was younger it was always the aussies but now that i’m a bit older i’ve started to go to the dark side:) lol

• koolkat October 4th, 2012 9:33 PM

It’s similar to basketball but there’s no dribbling and its just a net with no backboard. Definitely not as fun haha :D

• Teez October 4th, 2012 9:39 PM

in netball the court is smaller, the baskets (though we call them nets) are shorter and you can’t move with the ball in your hands. that makes it sound kinda slow but it’s actually really fast paced as you’re always passing cos you can’t hold the ball for more than 3 secs (i think!). it’s usually considered a girls sport… i used to love it school! but yeah doesn’t really have the showmanship factor of basketball

• ivoire October 4th, 2012 10:31 PM

are you kidding?! netball is so great. dudes always go ewww netball is such a ‘girl sport’ but it uses just as much skill and strength as any other sport. and they refuse to learn how to play so they always get their ass beat woo.

• Sophii October 5th, 2012 4:38 PM

Same! I really want to play some basketball at some point but in England almost nobody plays it. It’s all netball but I really want to try out some of these moves. Fab video x

• lyssagrltx October 4th, 2012 8:19 PM

Lol space jam!!

• Bree October 4th, 2012 9:17 PM

Still not working on Chrome :( But I, the most uncoordinated person living on Earth, Mars, or Venus (who knows about Mercury…), would love to learn!

• Anaheed October 4th, 2012 9:21 PM

I think Vimeo is having some problems tonight; try again a little later. Sorry!

• Terra October 4th, 2012 9:25 PM

It works if you click on the Vimeo logo on this page and open the video up in a new tab. (:

• jumapa25 October 4th, 2012 9:52 PM

It only works when you go to the vimeo link directly and play it there :)
    I love playing basketball and this video was so cute!!

• raggedyanarchy October 4th, 2012 10:34 PM

I used to play basketball when I was little. I stopped when they wanted us to try out and spend every day practicing. I wasn’t very good at sports, and I had more important things to do like read the entire Warrior cat series (remember those?) and play with my gerbils. I’ve never been popular.
    Anyway, I always enjoyed shooting hoops and I can say that I’m better at it than any of my never-played-the-game-before friends.

• Jessica W October 4th, 2012 10:54 PM

Vimeo has been playing up lately. What I do is go closer to the wifi to get a stronger signal or I stop other things loading… Usually works.

I have a friend who can do the three pointer shot (basically) EVERY TIME. Sometimes I wonder if she is secretly a 7ft, 20-something basketball player disguised as a 17 year old girl with good hair.

The Lovelorn

• imcomfortablesodealwithit October 5th, 2012 7:08 AM

Niccceee :) I’m on my school’s netball team :)

• Flossie October 5th, 2012 9:35 PM

OH MY GOD YOU SAW THE FACE TO FACE TOUR?? I think everyone else is clearly missing the real point of this article, which is Elton John and Billy Joel’s live concert tour, the musical equivalent of a supernova (ie, WHEN STARS COLLIDE). I mean, really, what is this “Basket Ball” of which you speak? Let us take a moment to consider that Elton John and Billy Joel once did a tour together. Awesome.