You Asked It

Damn Girl Ya Look Good

Moles, small boobs, super-tall-ness, and other things that make you gorg.

My genetics are a whirl of Spanish-European-Native American, which has left me with pale skin, red lips, dark hair, dark eyes, and moles/beauty marks! I do not just mean one or two moles—I have MANY, ranging in sizes, all over, including on my face. A kind person once told me that the left side of my face was the “Starry Night” stars in Vincent Van Gogh’s painting. I strive to be confident, but I find myself hiding the more polka-dotted side of my face with my hair and searching “scar-less mole removal” on the internet. Besides the moles my face is blemish-free. But moles and beauty marks are permanent, unlike acne. I don’t want people to think my beauty marks are unappealing, but I do!! How do I get over this? Are moles distracting and unattractive?

If all you’re doing is worrying about other people’s thoughts on your polka-dotted face, that IS going to show on you, your expressions, and the way you carry yourself. But if you don’t let other people’s opinions and questions bother you, and truly understand that a few moles on your face does not equal unattractiveness, you’re going to be awesome. Yes, your moles are probably going to get attention sometimes, but that doesn’t have to hurt your confidence. The more secure you feel about yourself, the more other people are not going to notice anything “different.” Wait a minute. PARDON ME FOR BEING FRANK, but you sound like a hottie: pale skin, dark hair, and red lips?? Who is this, Angelina Jolie? Honestly, who cares if you have some moles! Girl, I probably have close to 100 moles on my body, including one in my freakin’ eyelid, one in the middle of my boobs, and two on each of my nostrils that one time a boy, who I thought was GAZING ROMANTICALLY at me through the flames of a beachside bonfire, was actually staring at because he thought they were boogers. I felt bad for a moment, but I got over it; and now I love my booger moles. They are part of me! Perhaps even my personal trademark! Look at Cindy Crawford. She became a star with her mole. It made her stand out in a sea of other gorgeous models, which certainly contributed to her success. And think of all the other people who rock unique facial features, like freckles: Julianne Moore, Sissy Spacek, and LiLo. P.S. I like the “Starry Night” comment. I think freckles and moles are like pretty little constellations on the skin.

Clockwise from upper left: Cindy Crawford, Edie Sedgwick, Cintia Decker, Lindsay Lohan, Lucy Liu, Viktoriya Sasonkina.

Now, the one important thing you gotta do is get your moles checked out by a doctor, especially if you are noticing a change in their color. DON’T FREAK OUT or anything, it’s just smart to keep an eye on our little friends. Keep these “ABCDE” rules in mind when inspecting your moles. If you notice any of them, have your doc take a look.

A = asymmetry: if one half of the mole does not match the other.
B = border: if a mole is irregular, with a jagged or blurry border.
C = color: if the mole has multiple shades.
D = diameter: if the mole has a diameter larger than a pencil eraser (about 1/4 inch or 6mm).
E = elevation/evolving: if the mole’s size, shape, and/or color change over time.

XoXo-Marie

All of the bras I own are old, worn out, and were never cute in the first place. I feel like it’s time for a wardrobe update, but I absolutely loathe bra shopping. I’m a 32A, and I am perfectly comfortable with this fact and have no interest in making myself appear to have C-cups or cleavage. However, the only bras I can EVER find in my size are ridiculously padded push-up bras, and it makes me so angry. I don’t want to look like I have huge boobs; all I want is something that fits, makes me feel pretty, and lies somewhere between boring and frumpy and obscenely sexy/lacy/push-up-y. Does this exist, and if so, where can I find it?

Ain’t nothing wrong with a little obscenity in your underthings!!! But I feel you—it’s so hard to fine the perfect combination of things you want when you’re shopping on the internet. I would recommend looking at ASOS—I really love their lingerie selection, because it includes cheap, expensive, super-frilly, and sporty things, and it has a large range of sizes. What you are looking for definitely exists; you just aren’t looking in the right places—I mean, Victoria’s Secret is like the most popular lingerie store in the world but it primarily offers frilly things, which are totally OK, but I think independent lingerie labels are often more affordable and more interesting in comparison. Limit your search to soft-cup bras; that will eliminate getting a million push-up bras in the lingerie category—balconette bras are super cute too and work with what you have instead of faking what you don’t. Stella McCartney has cute styles and makes lingerie in your size. For custom-made stuff and independent designers I recommend UnLoveableLingerie on Etsy and the Loved One. —Arabelle

Every time I put my daily moisturizing sunscreen on my combination skin, I break out. Is there a facial sunscreen that could make my skin look amazing?

First of all, I’m so glad that you’re wearing (or at least trying to wear) sunscreen on a daily basis! It’s incredibly smart of you to protect your skin from harmful UV rays that could cause skin cancer and other serious damage—so yay, you!

Second, there are a few different options here. I have very sensitive skin that reacts weirdly to all sorts of things, but I’ve used all these products with no horrible effects, so I deem them safe (for me, at least).

My all-time favourite daily sunscreen is from Mario Badescu: the Oil-Free Moisturizer With SPF 30. It is moisturizing and paraben free, it protects against UVA and UVB rays, and they don’t test on animals. It works for all skin types and it isn’t greasy or clogging. It’s just all-around pretty fabulous, and the bottle will last you a couple months.

For something a little more natural and mattifying for those oily situations, there’s Coola’s SPF 30 Matte Finish sunscreen, which comes in cucumber or rose scent, or unscented if you prefer that. This stuff is super-concentrated, so a little goes a long way, and it has a matte finish that seems to magically soak up oil. For your dry areas, I recommend putting on a regular moisturizer before the sunscreen.

Of course, remember to wash your face at night, even if you’re not wearing any makeup. While sunscreen is awesome to wear when you’re out and about, it can get pretty icky on your skin while you sleep and cause pimples that obviously ya don’t want. —Hannah

I am tall (5′11″) and I have never really been able to wear heels without people gawking at me. Are there any cute, low-heeled (under two inches) shoes that I could wear and not be gawked at?

Hellooo my supermodel! If you want my honest opinion, I think you should wear six-inch heels and not give an F. Let them gawk! I love it when really tall chicks rock a pair of crazy, fabulous, ain’t-no-shame-I’m-just-doin’-my-thang platform heels. But if you aren’t ready for that yet, I understand! Websites like Zappos and Myheels.com let you search by heel height, so check there first.

I looked around for you and found these cute leopard-print heels by Calvin Klein and some pretty Seychelles ones here and here. Now…if you are open to trying a 2.5-inch heel, you will find tons of choices, like these and these. NO PRESH! Just wanna give you the option…

Clockwise from top left: Seychelles Sycamore, $95; Seychelles Pansy, $90; Seychelles Lily, $98; Modcloth Walk About It Wedge, $63; Modcloth Sweet Spectator Heel, $63; Calvin Klein leopard-print heels, $98.

I hope you eventually become ready for some serious platform heel game. Let me know and I’ll find some good ones for you then, too. XoXo-Marie ♦

If you have a style/beauty question for Marie & her Rookie team, please send it to beautyandstyle@rookiemag.com.

• jenaimarley September 11th, 2012 11:18 PM

Addressing moles/freckles, smoobies, and tallness all in one piece! Rookie I love you how are you so relevant??

• llamalina September 11th, 2012 11:21 PM

don’t forget about marion cotillard! she has a mole smack dab in the middle of her forehead and i think she is one of the most gorgeous women ever.

• uaresoawesome September 11th, 2012 11:22 PM

This is essentially the ME edition of Damn Girl Ya Look Good. I’m 6’1″ and my mom only lets me wear heels 2 in. and under. I’m size 32A and can’t find the right bras. ALSO, I have delicate combination skin. I don’t have any beauty marks, though. Thanks so much for the advice, Hannah, Arabelle, and Marie! This has made me a happy Iris. It’s awesome how much Rookie has helped me out this past year!

• FlaG September 11th, 2012 11:37 PM

Love this edition! My brother has a scattering of moles on his right cheek and we used to joke together that if we connected them all together with a biro it would look like a constellation. As far as I know he didn’t mind it.

And the tall girl’s question is totally relevant to my life. At 6′, I can only wear flats. And even standing barefoot I still get looks of OMGRUNSAVETHECHILDRENIT’SGODZILLA shock/horror. I fear the looks I’d get if I wore real heels :P

• Delilah September 11th, 2012 11:45 PM

I totally get the bra-shopping pain; I’m a 32A too and am totally happy with my boobs but it’s so hard shopping for that! Most 32As I’ve found are built to push up stuff that’s not even there. I really recommend Target for bras; it’s the only place I’ve found perfect fitting (for me) 32As. Check out the Gilligan & O’Malley ones (I guess they don’t have 32As online but I’ve found them in these styles in stores).

• Otherjordan September 12th, 2012 2:07 AM

I was literally JUST going to suggest Gilligan O’Malley! Seriously, the most comfortable, versatile, pretty, and most importantly, cheap brand I have found! Almost all my bras are Gilligan O’Malley and they sometimes have matching underwear if that’s your thing because it’s definitely mine. And check out their slips and sleepwear, too! They have these really pretty sheer romper things that I love, and non-nude slips which make me happy because I don’t need or want spanx under my dresses and that seems to be the easiest thing to find.

• amazeedayzee September 11th, 2012 11:58 PM

YAYYY I love Damn Girl Ya Look Good articles :D I hate the crazy amount of push-up/padded bras there are…the last time I went bra shopping I was kind of appalled at how long it took me to find some normal ones in my size.

• Ebony September 12th, 2012 12:00 AM

Moles!

• TessaTheTeenageWitch September 12th, 2012 12:02 AM

ALL HAIL THE GIANTS. I am also really tall, but I don’t care anymore. I’m 14, 5’10 and I am going to damn well wear 5 inch heels to my semi-formal. I don’t care if I look like a skyscraper, I’m gonna wear cute shoes.

ALSO, I suffer from big-foot syndrome, and only like, last night I found this awesome website – http://www.barefoottess.com/. It’s amazing! Their tagline: “Because style doesn’t stop at size 10″. Seriously, it couldn’t get any better.

• FlaG September 12th, 2012 9:41 AM

From one giant to another, I thank you for this site from the bottom of my heart. Because of the size of my feet I buy shoes so seldom that I often wear my favourite ones right into the ground.

Totally saving this in my bookmarks!

• TessaTheTeenageWitch September 13th, 2012 11:09 PM

You are so welcome! <3

• fmfy September 12th, 2012 12:49 AM

Best place EVER for small chested ladies to get bras: http://www.lulalu.com/ the Deliah wireless bra is the best thing to ever happen to me. But seriously, I feel you, as it’s such a pain in the butt to find small bras.

• blisterprince September 12th, 2012 1:41 AM

I totally feel you on the bra thing. It’s so UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!!! Might i suggest american apparel, the mesh bras are beyond comfy and i think about $14 which is cheaper than a lot of the padded monsters at the store.

• Petra_W September 12th, 2012 1:53 AM

I really like Timpa bras for small boobs:

• Mixolydia September 12th, 2012 2:55 AM

another really, really good daily sunscreen lotion (eco-friendly and for sensitive skin) is one made by Devita:

• NotReallyChristian September 12th, 2012 3:16 AM

Yup, so important to keep an eye on those moles! My boyfriend has a ton and I’m always checking out the ones he can’t see. I’m incredibly pale and he’s moley, we’re like skin-cancer-risk central …

• saramarit September 12th, 2012 3:26 AM

Ah I knew there must be a designer specialising in A cups! For anyone in the UK I’ve found Top Shop are actually quite good at A cups and nice designs.

• Stefania September 12th, 2012 6:13 AM

TO THE GIRL WHO CAN’T FIND A NICE, SMALL BRA; that was my exact same dilemma. I could never find a bra in stores without underwire and padding (and that’s only IF the store carried my size) so I just made my own! I wear them every single day, they’re so comfortable.

Check em out!

• joyce September 12th, 2012 7:04 AM

Target actually has some really simple designed and cute bras available in all sizes. You should really check it out!

• danya September 12th, 2012 9:02 AM

Search ‘bralette’ on ebay… the wacoal ones are simple and nice.

x

• luola September 12th, 2012 9:32 AM

to the girl looking for bras: you might want to check out american apparel’s bras, none of them are padded and most don’t even have wire, and they are pretty small. i have a 34B and once ordered one in size M and it was way to small. i gave it to a friend with 32A and it fitted her just fine. since aa doesn’t use the usual bra sizes: if you want to order online check the comments (which i did not). many women comment on which bra size they have exactly and what aa size they had to get.

• Anka September 12th, 2012 11:00 AM

Urban Outfitters has some really nice (and reasonable) bras you might like.

• SincerelyWrong September 12th, 2012 11:43 AM

I love the enthusiasm that Rookie always has in these things… it’s never forced.
    I have a lot of moles myself, but mostly on my face I have freckles and pockmarks—I got chickenpox when I was 14, but that did not mean I was any more mature about not picking at them—which I actually am rather fond of.
    On the bra topic, I actually often wish I had smaller boobs because then I could make my own bras (well, if the sewing machine didn’t constantly try to electrocute me), but 32DD isn’t really a DIY project. :/

• sobrina September 12th, 2012 12:14 PM

I have teeny boobs too, and I’ve found a lot of supercute non-padded bras at Gap Body. If you try to go when they’re having a sale, you can find some pretty sweet deals.

• Lea September 12th, 2012 12:34 PM

To the girl with the moles : wear ‘em proudly! Everyone should embrace their particularities. Great article as usual, btw. This section is one of my favorites on Rookie in fact!

• TeresaBeee September 12th, 2012 3:51 PM

I just wanted to add a comment about where to get bras for girls with smaller boobs that are actually cute and fit well! Aerie makes really good ones that have good quality and not expensive:

• OrchidGrey September 12th, 2012 4:34 PM

My mother has a mole smack in the middle of the little divot above her upper lip. It’s so symmetrical that until I was about eight, I thought ALL women eventually got a mole there. Perhaps I was a bit dense (not noticing that all of the other women around me were sans lip mole), but I waited patiently for MY mole to come in…sadly it never did. But I DO have freckles, lots of them, and I love them. I think the advice given is spot on, what you may perceive as an imperfection is what sets you apart and makes you who you are. Imperfections are beautiful.

And I agree with previous comments: I’m a 32A and love Aerie bras. They’re often on sale and they offer many soft cup options that don’t make you larger than you are.

• paper_rape September 12th, 2012 5:03 PM

I am 30 DD / 28 E, and have a similar problem. With such a weird size it becomes tough to find bras that WORK without being matronly and hideous. I’ve found that it’s always far more worth it to drop $85 on a single nice bra at a specialty store (where they actually carry my size / will do a fitting / perform sizing adjustments) than the same amount on a few mediocre-fitting ones from gap / victorias secret / etc that will just fall apart.

Even Cincinnati – the city I’m originally from (now I’m in NY) – had a couple specialty lingerie stores. And let me tell you, it is not a particularly fashionable city. It’s more time / money than usual, but I assure you it’s worth it.

Good luck ladies.

• bookworm123 September 12th, 2012 5:08 PM

All these fabulous tall girls! EMBRACE YOUR HEIGHT! I am about 5’8″, which isn’t as tall as some, but my mom’s 5’10″, so I may grow some more.
    I was going to say something else intelligent, but I forget, so just remember to stand up straight! ;)
    Also an added tall person bonus: seeing above crowds.

• Pashupati September 12th, 2012 5:34 PM

I find these bras pretty, but these are to buy in England and a bit expensive, hope it still helps some rookies:

• GlitterKitty September 12th, 2012 5:39 PM

Thank you for asking (and answering) the bra question. It’s so annoying to find bras that aren’t padded in small sizes. Especially annoying when the store people automatically suggest the super push up bra. I’ve found that Aerie is pretty good, although they don’t last super long.

• Tourdivoire September 12th, 2012 6:09 PM

I am 6′, but I refuse to limit myself to flats to appear more ‘normal’. Yes, I get a lot of weird looks when I’m wearing high heels – but then again it happens on a daily basis, whatever shoes I’m sporting. Tall cuties around the world, please take Marie’s advice: do your thing, stand up straight, and smile to people who stare at you. Tall is beautiful!

Also, I have so many moles and freckles on my face, but I would feel naked without them. Embrace them! And go to the dermatologist every once in a while (also applicable when you don’t have moles).

• HannahM September 13th, 2012 4:19 PM

Go us!! Im 5.11′ and really dont care! Its fun to be gawked at!!

• lovegoodideas September 12th, 2012 7:38 PM

BRAS- try bounce (which is related to title 9) a little expensive, but worth checking out!

• StinaStarStina September 13th, 2012 2:35 PM

Victoria’s Secret DOES have some great smaller sized bras that are not totally padded!Or even over the top frilly, or even frilly at all!

I am a 27 yr old 34A and all my favorite bras are from Vicky’s. And no, I don’t mean push up bras.

sometimes you have to search a bit but the thing about bras from vicky’s is that they last a long time and are good quality and comfortable.

you don’t need to go getting something custom made, unless you want to of course (and have the $$$!)

• HannahM September 13th, 2012 4:18 PM

To my fellow tall girl,
    First of all, we are off, WE ARE HEIGHT TWINS!! 5ft11″ club!!
    As Marie was saying, I’m one of those super tall girls who are obsessed with heels! But I get your problem, people do gawk at me sometimes. Personally I don’t care, but I’d maybe think about trying flatforms, like the sneaker ones. They’re cool and high, and dont look high.

• HannahN September 14th, 2012 2:51 AM

I have several face moles too, but I hardly ever notice them. I did ask my boyfriend a while ago if he ever noticed my moles and he said he loved my “Morgan Freeman’s”!

• kadu September 14th, 2012 12:12 PM

I’m also a 32A and I just want to recommend the American Eagle sister store Aerie. It may be a bit pricey (actually I got two bras 40% off last week? maybe there’s still a sale?) but they have tons of options soft cup to wow please control your boobage, and they all have really cute prints or nice colors and a little bit of lace that falls perfectly in the right between category! :)

• BexZeitgeistZero September 14th, 2012 12:43 PM

I am so pleased that there is a site like this for young girls and not-so-young girls (like me) to feel more empowered!
    I have a mole/beauty spot right my my mouth and I always wondered about getting it removed but it makes me more special and I now love it.
    I am also tall and love my trainers but damn I got some big shoes and I am not afraid to wear them. It does however make some people afraid of me, but sometimes that helps if a creepy person is being creepy it is a normal thing for them, to then in turn, be creeped out by an uber tall amazonian type woman :)

• luarajade September 14th, 2012 4:04 PM

I guess I’m a bit larger chested (never thought I would say that!), but I buy my size 36B bras at JCPenney. The brand is Ambrielle. I never ever thought to check there, but my other small chested friend recommended it. They have cute, inexpensive, and comfortable bras. It’s all I wear. HIH!!

• mulberry September 14th, 2012 11:32 PM

Confession:
    I tooootally draw extra moles/freckles on my face with eyeliner sometimes. Freckle faces and sprinklings of beauty marks are so fun! I have a whole slew of little marks right around my mouth that I used to be super self conscious about because I was afraid they looked like food bits, but one day (inspired by Audrey Horne, probably), I darkened them with eyeliner and from then on I’ve been pretty proud of them. They are mine! And they make my face special and me-tastic!

• meels September 15th, 2012 4:25 AM

I freaking love moles!!

• marengo September 15th, 2012 9:50 PM

Everything in this article is so me. I’m 5’10″ last time I checked and 34A. I always feel like a complete misfit among all the short busty girls at my school. However, it has recently started to dawn on me that you know who else is tall, skinny, and relatively flat? Runway models.

• hdotgermaine September 22nd, 2012 11:12 PM

American Apparel has super cute bras for small-chested girls!

• kirigamirose November 18th, 2012 2:53 PM

A face without freckles is like a sky without stars – irish wisdom