Live Through This

How to Get Rejected From College

Didn’t get into the school of your dreams? You’re in good company.

Illustration by Caitlin

I recently got rejected from my dream college, a college that will remain anonymous (though it shouldn’t be hard to figure out, seeing as how it is pretty much everyone in America’s dream school). I applied early decision and worked my fucking ass off on my essays. My extra-curriculars were unique and representative of my personality and my future major. I had shining recommendations from some of the most revered teachers in my school. My GPA and my SAT scores, however, were not so sparkling. But the university assured me they would look at “the full package.” One day during first period I got an email on my phone telling me I was rejected. Well, there went my day. I left school and then my dad took me to out to breakfast. NO TEARS.

After my first rejection, I got rejected from a lot of other schools on my list. Fortunately, I was eventually accepted into one school, which is where I go now, and it is awesome. But I know how it feels to get rejection letter after rejection letter.

Maybe you got rejected from a college. Maybe you got rejected from your dream school. Maybe it was your safety school! Maybe it was almost EVERY SCHOOL ON YOUR LIST. If that’s so, you probably feel like you’re spiraling into a tunnel of doom that continues forever and ever into the fiery depths of misery. I’m here to tell you that it’s going to be OK! This isn’t a guide on how to get rejected from a school (that’s really easy to do, because colleges love making kids cry); it’s a guide on how to deal with that rejection.

1. Never be TOO sure of yourself.

The worst college rejections are the ones that you are sure are going to be acceptances. I had friends who were legacies, whose families had school wings dedicated in their names, and who had their college interviewers tell them, “There’s no way you won’t be accepted.” They were all rejected.

I told myself I definitely wasn’t getting into any of the schools I applied to. This doesn’t mean I didn’t put all of my effort into my applications; but it eased the blow of getting rejected. When I was rejected, it didn’t turn my world upside down. My low expectations made it easier to handle.

I’ve seen a lot of my friends expect to be accepted to places that rejected them, and they inevitably felt really shitty about it. So I think my method isn’t a bad idea. Don’t sit around expecting acceptances, because nothing is ever certain! NOTHING!

2. “Everything happens for a reason” is actually sort of true.

You will hear this phrase a lot when you get rejected from a college, especially if it’s the one you really wanted to go to. I hated this phrase when this happened to me, because at the time I didn’t really understand what the “reason” was. I thought it was just “to make Hazel feel inadequate.” But my first rejection led me to apply to the school I’m attending now. I love it here, and I never would have even applied if I hadn’t been rejected from my former dream school.

This story is so common: Kid meets dream school, kid gets rejected from dream school, kid gets into another school, kid lives happily ever after (for four years, at least) at that other school.

3. Own your rejection.

When a friend of mine got rejected from his top choice, he immediately posted about it on Facebook. He knew that all his friends were waiting to hear whether he got in, so making a blanket announcement saved him the trouble of breaking the news to each and every one of his friends individually. It was also a really cool move, in my opinion. My high school was extremely competitive about college admissions, so most of the kids there kept their searches private. My friend’s post was something like “Yeah, I got rejected; whatever, I’m alive.” When I got rejected I did the same thing.

Getting rejected is nothing to be ashamed of! So many smart and talented people get rejected from multiple colleges. You know more kids who have been rejected than you think, because kids lie. They might say, “Oh, I’m not interested in that school anymore,” even though they were obsessed with it when they applied. Sharing your own rejection might make 10 people who are secretly in the same boat feel less shitty about themselves.

4. You’re allowed to feel really, really sad (or pissed off) about being rejected.

Not everyone wants to go to college, and that’s totally cool. But if you do want to go, you’re allowed to get upset if the process doesn’t go the way you planned. Sure, some people are all blasé about being rejected; but for others it can be devastating. That’s not stupid or lame. Your sadness shouldn’t consume your life (I doubt it will), but if you want to take a few days off from school, or burn your college sweatshirts in a fiery blaze, or even just cry about it, it’s OK.

5. Transferring isn’t out of the question!

People act like transferring is impossible, but it’s not! Yes, the idea of applying to college all over again can be daunting, but if you are crazy in love with a school and you truly believe you are destined to go there but got rejected the first time around, try transferring in after your first semester, or your first year. If you had shitty grades in high school, kill it your first year in college and then reapply. You have nothing to lose, because you’re already in college.

6. You are not your application.

Unfortunately, it’s really hard for a college to get to know you through the application process, but your app (and maybe an interview) is all they have to decide if you’re in or out. I don’t care what your essays are about or what your GPA is, the college application will never truly represent you. I sincerely doubt your high school GPA and SAT scores are indicative of your work ethic, talents, and personality! Therefore, if/when you get rejected, please don’t take it personally. If a college rejects you, they’re rejecting your application (aka your high school grades, a standardized test score, essays, and an electronic form), not you as a person. You are way bigger and better than your application!

7. You’re totally going to look back on that time you got rejected from college and LOL.

The college-application process seems SO important, and it can definitely be nerve-racking, but when you look back on it you’ll think,Why did I waste so much time and energy feeling bad about this? And hopefully you’ll laugh.

When another friend of mine got rejected from college, he wrote a really funny letter back to the university, rejecting their rejection of his application. I published it in my high school newspaper, and everyone thought it was hilarious, because almost all of us had gotten rejected from at least one school! This annoying period of disappointment will end, and those freakouts (if you haven’t had at least one, you will) are going to seem crazy funny. Just you wait.

Applying to college is infinitely lame in all respects, and being rejected is the worst part. But if keep these seven points in mind, your future (or past) college rejection will be a lot less horrible. I wish you luck, young college-applying student! ♦

• madame_addie September 12th, 2012 11:16 PM

HA! This JUST happened to me, you guys are like psychics seriously hahaha however this is very true, you can always take advantage of it; I got rejected from my design and plastic arts dream school and got into the best literature school in Latin America, I’m still trying next year but I’m learning so much right now and it’s ALWAYS great to make new friends who are interested in the same things you are :)

• Tyknos93 September 12th, 2012 11:21 PM

This started for me in middle school, when I had to apply to private high schools. After being rejected from my first choice, I remember bawling for hours until I felt hung over the next day. It was great practice for college admissions time. When the rejections came in my friends and I had a bonfire with the letters and shit-talked the whole time. Rejection still, sucks, but it’s nice when awesome folks to help you through it!
    *Or a good cry and a Meg Ryan movie.

• Skatapus September 12th, 2012 11:42 PM

Oh god, oh god. I was literally just writing my common app when I paused to read this. I feel like i’m being berated by the universe for not getting it done. Great advice, but gah, I’m still just so stressed out about it. I find it so difficult to not get my hopes up when every other day someone asks about your favorite college. It’s just so difficult to have to constantly think/talk about it, while simultaneously thinking that your essays suck and your extracurriculars are sub par…my self loathing kicks into such high gear when pondering applications.

• NMHfan September 12th, 2012 11:45 PM

Transferring is totally an option! But just as a FYI: endowment scholarships are usually only open to freshmen, so you miss out on those opportunities and if money is important, it’s good to keep that in mind.

• Kathyyyyyyyy September 12th, 2012 11:48 PM

This article could not have come at a better time! Rookie what would I do without you?! I’m in the middle of narrowing my college list and working on my application and literally every day I have mini panic attacks just thinking about the college process. My only worry is that the article says never be too sure of yourself, but isn’t that how you pick your safety school? One of my biggest like concerns is not only being rejected by my top schools, but also from my safety schools!?! This whole process is so overwhelming sometimes

• Isabel September 12th, 2012 11:58 PM

I got rejected from my dream school. Well, my top five dream schools actually. I ended up going somewhere totally different (a big public school in California vs. the small East Coast liberal arts I had wanted so badly) and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I just graduated after the four most amazing years of my life, I wouldn’t have traded it for anything!

• canadaaustin September 12th, 2012 11:59 PM

i really need to read this every day until i get my letters.

• kirsten September 13th, 2012 12:01 AM

Definitely bookmarking this for April when I start getting letters.

• DanaDragonfly September 13th, 2012 12:33 AM

Amen to this! I got rejected from my dream school and tried to play it off like it was no big deal, but it still sucks. Yet, I had an amazing experience where I ended up.

Also, we need to make a call for more books and TV shows where kids get rejected from their dream schools… It’s first on my list of novels to write.

• bloodymessjess September 13th, 2012 1:14 PM

There is a book by Laurie Halse Anderson called Catalyst that you may be interested in where a central plot point involves the main character not getting into her dream school.

• bookworm123 September 13th, 2012 3:48 PM

Great suggestion! Her situation is a bit more extreme, but I still recommend it as well.

• betty finn September 13th, 2012 12:48 AM

This is so relevant to my life right now. I go to a really competitive school I’m beginning the application process now (I’m actually procrastinating on my common app essay right now.. oops). My dream school, which I’m applying ED to, is definitely a reach in terms of my GPA. I was pretty much temporarily insane in my Junior year and my grades plummeted. Now I’m having to face the repercussions, and I’m pretty much positive I’ll be receiving a rejection letter come Dec 21. It’s definitely difficult, and this whole process is a huge blow to my self esteem. But thanks for the encouragement, and I’ll try to keep this article in mind when those letters of doom arrive

• kalyn September 13th, 2012 1:32 AM

SO GOOD and so important to remember! I remember being rejected from my #1 on the night of my 18th birthday. I didn’t know that decisions were coming out that night until I got an email while at dinner with my friends. Opened it up and saw that “unfortunately,” I hadn’t been accepted. Despite the importance that I had placed on their decision up until that moment, I felt surprisingly calm once I was rejected. I think it was that whole “things work out” mentality that you mentioned above.

Fast forward to two years later, and I’ve gone through the whole process again. I wasn’t 100% happy at the school I ended up at, so I left and spent a year at a junior college and then reapplied. On top of getting into the school that rejected me as a freshman applicant (WOOP WOOP), I’m moving in a week to start at a new university that I honestly think will be a near perfect fit for me. It took me two years to figure out what it is exactly that I wanted and the process of applying again was long and frustrating but IT CAN BE DONE, and OHHH is it worth it!

• momjeans September 13th, 2012 2:41 AM

Number 2 is totally true. I didn’t get into my dream school but the one I ended up at now is seriously a dream and I had initially written it off. So definitely not getting in to my first choice opened my eyes to other places and let me realize where I really wanted to be.

• coweyes September 13th, 2012 3:17 AM

I am so glad that you posted this because I had such a horrible experience with college rejection. It’s so important that people realize that a rejection letter is not the end of the world, because it’s not! I had become so emotionally invested in the idea of going to to this one particular school that it really did feel like the worst thing that could have ever happened to me. I go to a totally different school now and I am wouldn’t have it any other way. There is life after rejection letters!

• amazeedayzee September 13th, 2012 4:06 AM

Relevant. There are so many really competitive schools on the list of colleges I’m applying to, so I’m definitely expecting a lot of rejections in spring…will read this when the time comes, haha :P

• Catherine_CC September 13th, 2012 8:15 AM

This is so helpful for right now! I’m from the south-east and I’m applying to Vassar, Tufts, Bucknell, and Columbia (to name a few); so I’m sure #3 and #4 (owning your rejection & feeling shitty is okay) will come into play.
    And the importance of understanding that your application is not you is something I really need to focus on—I feel like during the process you get extremely emotionally invested in the application; you try to perfect your essays and paint yourself in the best light possible and when you’re done you feel like you put your entire BEING into it. But that application isn’t you and it’s the application, NOT YOU, that’s being rejected.
    Thanks for this, Hazel!!!!

• Jamia September 13th, 2012 9:45 AM

Awesome piece Hazel. Your advice is right on. I was rejected from my dream school after they courted me hardcore and then dropped me later on when my senior chem grades were mediocre. I was wait listed at another “dream” school causing me to go where I ended up–the perfect place for me to be. This also happened with Grad School. If my dream school didn’t reject me I would have never ended up at NYU which was an amazing place for me to be–and I wouldn’t have gone there if Penn had accepted me at that time.

• Emelie September 13th, 2012 10:10 AM

So, funny thing: when I applied to college four years ago, I DID get into my “dream” school…and then I went back to look at it again and ended up saying “Yeah…never mind.” It just didn’t speak to me in the same way anymore. I went to a different school that I applied to sight-unseen. Flash forward a year to when I met a bunch of people from my old dream school…and as I listened to them talk about the culture, and the bureaucratic shenanigans, I realized I definitely made the right choice.

Basically, sometimes we fall in love with schools (or people) who just aren’t right for us. I like thinking that the universe has my back on that one, and makes stuff come out all right in the end.

BUT rejection still sucks. Sometimes, I wish the universe would teach me fewer lessons about dealing with disappointment and more about where to find really good ice cream.

• georgie fruit September 13th, 2012 9:19 PM

so true. I got into my dream school, went for a year … and then dropped out of college. a lot of reasons factored into my decision, but I’m so glad it happened because two years later I transferred (a hassle, but, as Hazel says, NOT impossible!) to the school I’m at now that wasn’t even on my original list. I’m so happy here, and grateful for the crazy and unexpected path that got me to this point.

• elyon61 September 13th, 2012 1:04 PM

I got rejected from my first choice college too, and while I’m still bitter about it, I’m proud that it didn’t upset me too much. Honestly, if they didn’t want me, then I don’t want them. I’m currently going to a school that wasn’t one of my top choices, but happens to be in the city I always dreamed of living in, so in the end everything turned out pretty okay.

• bloodymessjess September 13th, 2012 1:09 PM

Great advice! I’ve been rejected from vet school two times now and it’s really hard. Especially since Canada is stupid and there are only 5 vet schools and you can only apply to the one in your region. So you only get one shot a year at one school. Looking into applying to US and Australian schools, really intimidated by the price tags. One year at a school outside of Canada costs the same as all 4 years at a Canadian vet school. But I figure if I use up all my tries (did I mention that you’re only allowed to apply 4 times to the school in my province?!), I’ll definitely go that route because being a vet is worth scary amounts of debt to me. In the meantime, gotta pick up the sad, miserable pieces of my self and try to save some money for the back up plan. Blegh.

• Arabelle September 13th, 2012 1:40 PM

Love this Hazel. My old high school was absolutely cut throat about applications — like, people stopped talking to me (FRIENDS!!!) when they found out I got into a scholarship program they didn’t, and there were a lot of smug smiles when so and so didn’t get in to so and so… it was really ugly. When I got rejected from my dream school I couldn’t get out of bed for like, a week, but now I realize it’s best I didn’t go there anyway ’cause I’d probably would have had to give up fashion things because it’d be too far from NYC, whereas where I am is both more affordable and close by. Things DO happen for a reason.

• eliselbv September 13th, 2012 1:54 PM

In the french system we apply for schools in December and we only have the answers in May or June, meaning we have a half year waiting and stressing and worrying and it’s awful. I can’t wait to be in June just to know because now it’s quite impossible for us to imagine what our life will be next year and seriously that sucks.
    I don’t know about the American system but I really hope for u you don’t have to wait that long

• boyfights September 13th, 2012 2:19 PM

I live in Australia, so the American college experience is always so strange to hear about in real-life context rather than in like, Freddie Prinze Jr movies.

Even though American “college” life and Australian “university” life are largely very different things, there’s still much of that “dream school” attitude out of high school.

I got into my first preference uni, and hated it. It was the worst. I wish I’d gone to my third preference uni – which was much closer to home (as in, only a 15 minute bus ride away, rather than a 45 minute train ride. Like I said, very different uni/college experiences) but lacked the “glamour” of my first choice. I dropped out in second year after half-cruising half-failing my classes. I took 6 months off to do literally nothing – SUPER therapeutic, if also totally indulgent. I recommend it for anyone feeling lost – and now I’m doing graphic design. A total 180 on my “original plan” – which was less a plan and more a gap-filler, because who really knows what they want to do in high school? – and 100 times more suited to me, my abilities, and what I enjoy doing.

• Sarah M September 13th, 2012 2:33 PM

Man, I totally wish I had read this when I was getting rejected! I’m a sophomore in college right now, and exactly where I want to be, and this was definitely NOT my dream school, but I am so happy here. I can’t imagine being anywhere else.

It does get better! Things do work out! Optimism!

xoxo

• hadley September 13th, 2012 2:48 PM

Thank you for this article. I applied to boarding schools in the fall of last year and was subsequently wait listed from 6 out of 7. I was accepted to one. I was not expecting it because everyone around me was saying, “I’m so excited for you. You’ll be able to go wherever you want.” I wasn’t. It took me a while to get over the wait lists and the “we’re sorry we could not accept your application at this time” letters. I’m still a little bitter about it. Some of the schools seemed to be asking me to go there. Anyways what you said is true. It does happen for the best reason. The school I am at now is the best possible fit for me and I am so happy.

• bb jay September 13th, 2012 3:01 PM

Aw – I totally needed this kind of post back in the day when I was a senior in high school.

To be honest, I only applied to college because everyone expected me to. I had good grades and extracurriculars and ‘college-bound’ written all over my face but I didn’t do a great job applying because I would get to that question regarding future plans and why I love this school and not really be able to come up with a heartfelt answer. I didn’t even really have a dream school but when those letters came out, I got accepted, waitlisted, and rejected. There was both joy and lying on the floor crying.

I ended up going to a UC. People thought my school was good but I also got the sense that my peers thought the school I chose was beneath me for some reason. But I went, I took classes with exciting names, lived on my own, met people with vastly different backgrounds, and discovered my ambitions and what I was born to do with my life.

I applied to transfer during my second year of college because I now knew exactly what I wanted from my education and where I had to go to get it (I had a dream school now!) Transferring from a 4 year to a 4 year is admittedly a little awkward, but I don’t regret a thing. You have twice as many experiences and meet twice as many friends and professors. Transfer scholarships DO exist! And I did an excellent job applying the second time around (because I could confidently answer ALL the questions now)… so I even ended up getting more financial aid with the transfer.

You will find your way!

• kellykapowski September 13th, 2012 3:06 PM

I had no dream school. Therefore, I only chose schools I’d thought I fit in, and were more likely to accept me. Out of eight I was denied admission to two. But I actually knew beforehand because of this website that showed me my chances. It’s called Parchment btw. If you’re a high school senior, don’t stress yourself out. You can always transfer but don’t pick a CC if you’re looking for a ‘college experience’. I ended up choosing the college I liked the most and I love it.

• Sphinx September 13th, 2012 4:41 PM

Keeping your expectations low is easy.
    Now how can I make my family keep their expectations low?

(oh, and this totally reminds me of Paris in Gilmore Girls.)

• courtneyloveskurt September 13th, 2012 5:29 PM

Reading all these comments about super-competitive high schools is insane. At my school it’s considered great if you go to community college. When I tell people what colleges I want to go to, they look at me like I’m insane. I’m worried I won’t get in, though, because my school doesn’t offer that many advanced classes.

• madeline55 September 13th, 2012 5:37 PM

my dream school really destroyed my heart – I applied early decision, got deferred, then got rejected on the last day possible to find out. I got wait listed on my other dream schools, so I ended up going to a university I hadn’t even visited. I hated it at first (still kinda hate it), but I love that I chose to live in new york city. I chose not to transfer because I have a big scholarship, and instead I’m studying abroad for free. especially in a city setting, it’s not too hard to get out and find things outside your school that make you happy. all that “how’s the college process going?” talk killed me at the time but I realize that I shouldn’t have stressed over it so much. not getting in isn’t the most awful thing in the world – not learning to be happy where you are is much worse.

• hollyhotdog September 13th, 2012 6:01 PM

I totally agree with that “things happen for a reason,” as cheesy as it sounds.

I did a year of a fine art degree, dropped out, applied for a midwifery degree and got that horrid big fat U on UCAS that everyone dreads, applied to Adult nursing through clearing and have now got a place for April and couldn’t be happier. So if you’ve gotten rejected or are worried about what direction to go in, don’t worry, it’ll all work out in the end, I promise x

• GlitterKitty September 13th, 2012 6:26 PM

This is quite similar to my experiences trying to get into ballet schools. It was pretty clear my technique wasn’t good enough and had no chance. But for a long time I had told myself that if I enjoyed ballet, I had to persue it at an elite level. I realized a couple years ago that, for a variety of reasons, I was never going to go to a professional ballet school. But I think that actually helped me. Now I don’t link my dancing to success and allowed myself to just enjoy it. There are things to stress out about, but for me, this wasn’t one of them.
    The moral of the story is don’t beat yourself up over succeeding in something. You’ll do fine. Just enjoy what you have.

• raggedyanarchy September 13th, 2012 6:57 PM

Oh god! My school had a college fair today and I’m pretty sure I had a better idea of where I wanted to end up BEFORE the fair. I just remember all the representatives talking about about having to have at least a 3.8 and being like I’M FUCKED.

• Devan September 13th, 2012 7:51 PM

I got rejected from my first choice (Parsons) 2 days before Christmas. Pretty harsh, but now I’m sitting in a giant and luxurious dorm room. My roommate is awesome and so is my schedule. I’m actually glad I didn’t get in!!!

• Mayabett September 13th, 2012 8:53 PM

Wait, this is exactly what I needed.

My dream school is Ivy League and thus super competitive. I have a shot at getting in based on SAT scores and etc. but my GPA is eh because I was clinically depressed for so long…
    I’m hopeful, but my college counselor seems skeptical. I’m planning to apply regular decision to said school (instead of early) and wishing they’ll see all the awesomeness I can bring to their school.

But I’ve been super anxious about it all, so this article is perfect. Especially since I’m about to sit down and study for SAT subject tests.

Gotta love the College Board for being a timesuck.

• llamagesicht September 13th, 2012 8:58 PM

There are brilliant and awesome people at every single university. Seek ‘em out and you’ll do fine in more schools than you think.

• Pranayasoera September 14th, 2012 1:39 AM

This happened to me.
    I thought my life was over. I only applied to one school and was rejected. I didn’t go to school for two days i was so angry. Then I realized what a dramatic teenage hot mess I was. So instead of trashing my rejection letter I pasted it into my journal, flipped to a new page, wrote the date down, and proceeded to plan out a new journey for myself.
    I worked three jobs over the summer and saved every penny.

Now Im moving from California to New York City to explore and live every west coast teen’s dream.

THANK YOU FOR THIS ARTICLE.
    cheers!

• JessJessJess September 14th, 2012 5:13 AM

My dream is to go to art school and it has been my whole life. Unfortunately, I’m not so sure I’ll get in… Lately I’ve noticed the reality of myself actually being accepted are pretty slim. But I guess there’s always try, try again, right? This is the perfect post and perfect timing THANK YOU

• Misa September 14th, 2012 9:22 AM

Woohoo, nice)
    And it’s true that that it’s not good to be too sure. ;)
    It’s the same story with my last essay for what I received C (. And I was sure that itll be A+. After that case I changed my mind about essay like a needful thing in my educational course…. For now this is my best essay.

• Aliaho September 14th, 2012 11:15 AM

I really want to get into the University of Sydney next year, when I’m going to study abroad, but the chance that they will accept me is like 1 in a million. :(

• Antionette September 14th, 2012 9:19 PM

My story is basically the opposite where I applied to my dream school, got in, and then ended up not going because of the hefty price tag. BUT! I could’ve been easily rejected as well. I did get rejected from one school who didn’t think I was quite up to snuff. This hurt me a little, but now I am going to a school I absolutely love! My advice is apply to every school that you think may be your “dream school” because you never know what’ll happen. Even if you get rejected, it was totally worth the risk. Because, the time you do get accepted will be the best feeling in the world and you will dance around to Young MC for about 2 hours and feel like a bad ass. (at least that is what I did)

Apply to ALL the dream colleges!

• hexdiary September 15th, 2012 2:03 PM

This was WRITTEN for me. I broke down crying yesterday at a guidance meeting because this is so stressful for me. I have to apply to really competitive colleges because I’m on an academic scholarship at my school, and it’s terrifying! I’m crying a bit right now, I’m a big cry baby, thanks for this.

• aliamarsha September 16th, 2012 10:42 AM

oh. my. god. this is probably one of the most relevant articles in rookie for me. Kudos!

• Nobre September 17th, 2012 10:10 AM

Congratulations for this post!

• prion September 22nd, 2012 10:45 AM

Great post. I remembered being totally bummed about being rejected from my dream school, but now I don’t think I would have had as many opportunities there than where I am now.

• AndreaGG September 23rd, 2012 12:31 AM

I needed to read this. Just last night I freaked out a bit because I was so nervous about my applying test, which I did today. Saving this as a bookmark, just is case ;) Hoping I won’t need to read it again.

• aubreyxo September 23rd, 2012 10:58 PM

Ah, I’m in the process of applying to colleges and it is so stressful. I hope everything turns out okay. This post made me nervous but also hopeful at the same time. If I get rejected to some schools, I shouldn’t be so down on myself. I so agree though, an application can never really show who you are. Even the essay and resume etc they really don’t show your character at all and the whole thing is a bummer.

• laurencule September 29th, 2012 10:05 PM

This article was the perfect thing to read right now. My dream above all dreams is Ivy League and I’m fearful about my chances- my GPA is considered below average to them, my SAT scores are on the margin, and I have nothing truly special. After weeks of breaking down emotionally, I am starting to realize that whatever will be, will be. If I don’t get in, it won’t define me, just as getting in won’t define me. I’m hoping to get into a wonderful school and figure everything out, but only time will tell.