Books + Comics

Literally the Best Thing Ever: Books on Tape

Here are some of my favorites (and a few not-so-favorites).

One of the things I miss most about childhood is the way that reading was such a phantasmically engrossing experience. I knew a girl in middle school who claimed that she became so engrossed by reading that she would have out-of-body experiences and actually hallucinate the books’ contents. While I never quite hallucinated books, it sort of felt that way sometimes. Books were not the sum of their words, they became real. In my teenage years, though, I became increasingly cerebral and analytical, to the point where I now have trouble recapturing the joy of reading. I find myself analyzing sentences and recurring motifs- so much so that it’s hard to “get lost” in a book. To quote Dawson Leery, television’s most famously over-analytical teen, “I’m so busy analyzing everything that I’m not enjoying anything!” Dawson, the antidote is at hand: audiobooks! Audiobooks provide a much-needed escape from the machinations of your brain. You surrender the reading experience to a narrator, who does not pause for you to examine the author’s use of a semi-colon. You can just relax, and enjoy the story. You can also multi-task, and listen while you make friendship bracelets or clean your room, or just stare at the ceiling fan. They’re perfect for long car trips, or boring summer days when it’s too hot to lift a finger to turn a page.

Now let me share some of my favorite books on tape, which are all bound to enhance your summer:

Carmilla
By Joseph Sheridan LeFanu, read by Tracey Childs
2009, Fantom Films Limited

This is a great story to listen to in the dark at night before you fall asleep. It’s a spooky and sexy tale about an immortal teenage vampiress who stalks young girls in the Austrian countryside. The sexual charge of the story is barely contained by its prudent, Victorian writing: “…Her hot lips traveled along my cheek in kisses; and she would whisper, almost in sobs, ‘You are mine, you shall be mine, you and I are one for ever.’ Then she has thrown herself back in her chair, with her small hands over her eyes, leaving me trembling.” Beware, listening to this story will leave you trembling as well!

Angels and Demons
By Dan Brown, read by Richard Poe
2004, Simon & Schuster Audio

This is a fairly ridiculous book that I wholly recommend for long car trips. Angels and Demons is Dan Brown’s lesser-known precursor to The Da Vinci Code. It is a tale unencumbered by things like “character development” or, you know, “good writing.” It’s just an awesome story about an improbably kick-ass Harvard symbologist who is recruited by the Vatican to thwart an imminent terrorist attack. The plot will quickly suck you in, no matter how hard you resist. Long car rides will go by in a flash, as our hero Professor Langdon extemporizes about ancient symbology while dodging gunfire and random explosions.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking
By Susan Cain, read by Kathe Mazur
2012, Random House Audio

This is a very cool book that reveals the multitude of ways in which introverts are penalized and marginalized by our society’s “Extrovert Ideal.” Cain’s earnest and well-researched concepts regarding the recent shift from a “culture of character” to a “culture of personality” will appeal to anyone experiencing Tumblr fatigue. Kathe Mazur reads the text with an appropriately sedate and calming voice. But while this certainly suits the mood of the book, I wouldn’t recommend it for a car trip—her soothing tone can be a sleep inducer!

The Harry Potter series
By JK Rowling, read by Jim Dale
2007, Listening Library

Have you read Harry Potter so many times that you are able to recite whole passages at random? Do you regard your collection of Harry Potter books with the sadness of one whose love has worn itself out? Then this is the audiobook is for you. It’s a great way to revisit the series without feeling like you are causing your brain to atrophy. Narrator Jim Dale gives an invigorating performance, with a variety of voices that will breathe new life into Hogwarts’ halls. Note: There is also a Stephen Fry version of the audiobook, which I do not recommend. I know we have a lot of Stephen Fry maniacs here at Rookie, and I fully expect the comments section to blow up in bitter controversy, but I really think that Stephen Fry’s narration is lame and uninspired. His “Voldemort” voice is shrill and ridiculous, and kills the drama completely.

Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster
By Jon Krakauer, read by the author
2007, Random House Audio

I read/listen to this book a lot. I am morbidly fascinated by the disastrous 1997 Everest climb, which set a world-record for number of deaths in a single summit. People freeze to death, people plummet to their deaths, everything that could go wrong does go wrong. Krakauer chose to record the book himself, and I could deduct a few points for his somewhat monotonous delivery—but the events that unfold are so harrowing and intense that his matter-of-fact tone can be a relief.

Howard’s End
By E.M. Forster, read by Nadia May
1999, Blackstone Audio

A Room With a View is the “fun” E.M. Forster book. This is the depressing one. It’s about the rigid class constructs of turn-of-the-century England, and how people attempt, and ultimately fail, to connect with one another across these boundaries. If you are looking for a erudite-seeming book to fulfill your summer reading requirement, this one will definitely do the trick. Just make sure you get the British version read by Nadia May (whose voice is pleasantly reminiscent of Angela Lansbury’s). The American recording is terrible.

A Game of Thrones
By George R.R. Martin, read by Roy Dotrice
2011, Random House Audio

If you’re interested in reading George R.R. Martin’s The Song of Fire and Ice, but find those 1000-page tomes to be somewhat daunting, this audiobook is a great way to gain entry to the series. Roy Dotrice speaks clearly and energetically, and has surely set a world-record for most character voices in any audiobook ever recorded!

The #1 Ladies’ Detective Agency
By Alexander McCall Smith, read by Lisette Lecat
2003, Recorded Books

This is the audiobook I recommend if you are enclosed in a vehicle with a dainty grandmother. Everyone will enjoy the quaint-yet-shrewd Mma Romotswe as she solves mysteries in her town of Gaborone, Botswana. Lisette Lecat provides truly outstanding narration. Her accents are delightful and convincing, never over the top. Your grandmother will think you are wonderful, and it won’t even be a lie.

The Secret History
By Donna Tartt, read by the author
2007, Harper Audio

This book has been recommended before on Rookie, but I think it’s worth plugging again in its audio format. Donna made the bold choice to read the book herself, although the book’s narrator, Richard Papen, is male. You might expect this to be distracting, but it’s not. You will quickly adjust to the timber and tone of Tartt’s voice, and in the end it feels like no one could have read it better.

The Story of Medieval England: From King Arthur to the Tudor Conquest
Taught by Professor Jennifer Paxton
2010, The Teaching Company

The Teaching Company produces and records fantastic lecture series delivered by the world’s most knowledgeable professors. They have lectures about mathematics, philosophy, theater—pretty much any academic subject you want to learn about. History lovers and Anglophiles are sure to enjoy this series about Medieval England. Professor Paxton, a sharp and witty lecturer, guides us through the long, muddled time from the fall of Rome up through the War of the Roses—a period that contains some of the most violent, dramatic, and back-stabby events in British history.

NOT RECOMMENDED:

Not all great books make great audiobooks. Here are some to avoid:

Twilight
By Stephenie Meyer, read by Ilyana Kadushin
2008, Random House Audio

I love Twilight—but I hate this audiobook. Ilyana Kadushin’s narration is prissy and cloying. And she barely makes any effort to differentiate the characters’ voices, so Bella, Edward, and Jacob all sound like the same breathy, annoying person. The true vampire in this story is Kadushen—she really succeeds in sucking the life out of Twilight.

The Boyfriend List
By E. Lockhart, read by Mandy Siegfried
2005, Listening Library

I also love this book, and would highly recommend it in its book form. But as a book on tape, it just doesn’t work. The narrative is peppered with amusing footnotes—a device that seems clever and inventive on the page, but which majorly bogs down the audio recording. The constant “asides” are distracting and annoying, and do not enhance the reading in any way. Stick to the book version!

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
By John Le Carré, read by Frederick Davidson
2010, Blackstone Audiobooks

This book is way too subtle and intricately plotted to make an enjoyable audiobook. About two CDs in, I realized I had virtually no idea what was happening.

Anything by Stephen King
You’d think Stephen King would make excellent road-trip material (suspenseful plotlines, not too heavy), but I have repeatedly found this not to be the case. For one thing, Stephen King books are LONG and tend to spend way too much time exploring characters’ boring inner monologues. You’ll be popping in the sixth CD and realize that NOTHING has happened yet. I think the ability to skim is essential for Stephen King-type fare, and the one disadvantage of audiobooks is that you can’t go at your own pace. ♦

• FlorenceEyre August 1st, 2012 11:15 PM

Well, maybe RookieMag should have it’s own tape book once, too… :D

• i-like-autumn August 1st, 2012 11:28 PM

Awww yisss books on tape! The Harry Potters are the best, I would do a lot of things to have every book on tape. (Almost there! I have #3 yet to collect.) I’m definitely going to have to find The Game of Thrones now, tho. Thanks for the recommendations, Maggie!

• taylorhotel August 1st, 2012 11:42 PM

I love audiobooks! Even when I was little, I’d actually listen to the Mary Kate & Ashley ones. And just a little thing, it’s Jon Krakauer, not John.

• Anaheed August 2nd, 2012 12:05 AM

Oops, dumb typo on my part. Fixed, thanks!

• Adrienne August 1st, 2012 11:43 PM

I’ve actually never listened to audiobooks before, but my friend just raves about the Harry Potter ones… I’m not sure which narrator she has though. And I love Angels and Demons!!! It’s the best one of the series.

• Katherine August 2nd, 2012 12:28 AM

I used to listen to the Harry Potter audiobooks every morning when I was about six and seven. Jim Dale rocks.

• betty finn August 2nd, 2012 2:11 AM

I did too! Jim Dale is the KING of the audiobook world. My 16 year old sister STILL falls asleep listening to Harry Potter

• Maggie August 2nd, 2012 11:19 AM

I’m listening to The Lost Symbol right now. Is it just me or does it make zero sense??

• ali August 3rd, 2012 3:22 AM

stephen fry’s reading is amazing, i think. i once remember staying over at a friends place and staying up until 4 in the morning with her brother, having stephen fry read us the 5th book.

• Bloom August 1st, 2012 11:50 PM

This list is awesome, but I’d definitely say that a audiobook sorely missed was The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi, I got it for christmas in my stocking when I was around 10 and could not stop listening to it :3

• meowzaaa August 1st, 2012 11:52 PM

http://librivox.org/ has a ton of free audio books from the public domain. so you can find most of the classics on there…

• Hayley G. August 1st, 2012 11:52 PM

The Game of Thrones books, aka A Song of Fire and Ice series, are great on road trips! Roy Dotrice’s voices slay me. How anyone can keep up with that many characters is beyond me.

Carmilla sounds really intriguing. Definitely adding to my list! Thanks!

• ladiesfirst August 2nd, 2012 12:19 AM

For the record, I read “Anything by Stephen King” as “Anything by Stephen Hawking” and jumped at the thought that Stephen Hawking might narrate his own books.

However, I do not think he does :(

• Hannah L August 2nd, 2012 12:24 AM

I’ve been on a 12 hour road trip every summer my whole life, and i have to say the only guaranteed way to get through it is by listening to the harry potter series. It really is literally the best thing ever

• Jordana August 2nd, 2012 12:33 AM

The only thing better than the audiobook love is the Dawson Leery reference. Spot on…I’m glad Dawson’s Creek sneaked its way onto Rookie!

• Devyn August 2nd, 2012 12:45 AM

Jim Dale also narrates (the sadly canceled but easily one of the best shows ever) Pushing Daisies! He is brilliant. Also, I’ve listened to Tom Hiddleston narrate a story called The Red Necklace, which is an amazing story on its own, but has so much more life to it thanks to the brilliant character voices that Tom provides. Also, pro-tip: It is also very soothing to listen to before bedtime… :)

• Tyknos93 August 2nd, 2012 6:56 AM

I miss that show SO much :( OH LEE PACE IS THRANDUIL in The Hobbit though!

• Bren August 2nd, 2012 10:25 PM

Jim Dale’s narration on Pushing Daisies is just so lovely and comforting and as essential to that show as Ron Howard’s on Arrested Development.

• angusyoung4eva August 2nd, 2012 1:07 AM

Now that I’ve finished reading all five “A Song of Ice and Fire”/”Game of Thrones” books, maybe I can listen to them to pass the time until the next book comes out! :D

• cisernos August 2nd, 2012 1:50 AM

David Foster Wallace audiobooks are really great! His stuff’s a little heavy to just dive into, but a friend gave me his essays split up as individual audiobooks and all the impartial truths, follies, and footnotes that make his writing both great and daunting are much more easily digested in audio format.

• betty finn August 2nd, 2012 2:08 AM

This summer I took a five week painting intensive, and I spent much of the daily six hour classes listening to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Robert Inglis reads, and though his voice is not terribly riveting, you adjust to it after an hour or so and it becomes extremely soothing, and really helps me concentrate while painting! The trilogy is 55 hours long total, so it will certainly occupy your time and give you something interesting to focus on and imagine.

By the way, make sure you don’t get the “dramatized BBC version, it’s awful and shortened until the books are totally unrecognizable.

(sidenote: I couldn’t find the Inglis version on iTunes, but it’s really easy to torrent if you’re awful and cheap like me… piratebay is your friend)

• Jessica W August 2nd, 2012 4:16 AM

I absolutely love talking books.
    Memories of getting up at 5am to go skiing (the mountain is 3 hours away).
    Crusing on the highway by 6am. Slumped in the back of the car, still in a daze whilst I listened to the words of magical and… often questionable (I remember a lot of Rocky Horror-esque stories) stories.
    Great picks. I must try these out!
    P.S
    My dad got the talking book of Twilight. That was interesting.
    The Lovelorn

• tomfoolery August 2nd, 2012 5:46 AM

i think twilight actually manages to suck the life out of itself..

• all-art-is-quite-useless August 3rd, 2012 9:50 AM

if only there was a like button on rookie…

• Saoirse August 2nd, 2012 5:54 AM

YAY. I love audiobooks, I’m dyslexic, and as a child they were the only way I was going to be able to enjoy any books. My Dad thought that classics were the way to go so by the time I was twelve I already had a pretty in depth knowledge of War and Peace, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Illiad, Jane Erye, Pride and Prejudice ect. I would definitely recommend the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, any Agatha Christies or Terry Pratchetts (discworld series). Obviously you have to be into these types of books first cause they’re not for everyone but I think they’re great. Terry Pratchett in particular is AMAZING it’s read by Tony Robinson who is brilliant and gives an ease to his books which are usually (for me at least) a bit of a struggle to read.

• rayfashionfreak August 2nd, 2012 6:23 AM

I used to love audiobooks! Perfect for a long car journey!

• Moxx August 2nd, 2012 7:30 AM

Lolita narrated by Jeremy Irons!

• radiofireworks August 4th, 2012 7:14 AM

Oh my God, this exists?! NEED NOW.

• periwinkle_dreams August 2nd, 2012 9:51 AM

Jim Dale reading Harry Potter is amazing (and he does Voldemort really well). I picked up the first HP book when I was too young to read it properly, and promptly abandoned it. I didn’t go back to the series until my parents announced that we’d be listening to the 7th book during a car trip a month after it came out, when I was 13. I refuse to read series out of order, so I read all of the books back to back in two weeks (this is why, when discussing plot, I still can’t distinguish between when one book ends and the next begins). I found an old Walkman in my garage and went around listening to the tapes EVERYWHERE. At night, I listened to them in bed, on the tape player in my room. I had to turn down the volume and lean over the side of my bed to hear it, or else it might wake up my parents. Sometimes I got tired and fell asleep listening, and I’d have to rewind the tape in the morning. Jim Dale’s voice still instantly catapults me back to 3am on a summer night, trying to stay awake long enough to find out who would win the Triwizard Tournament.

• Kenz August 2nd, 2012 9:57 AM

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin is great to listen to by audio book!

• Summer August 6th, 2012 9:04 PM

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin is one of my favourite all-time books. I read it when I was about 11 and have read it about 10 times since. I’m so glad someone mentioned this book.

• whatnaomiloves August 2nd, 2012 10:58 AM

(Speaking of audiobooks) ATTENTION EVERYONE: GO OUT AND GET TINA FEY’S BOSSYPANTS ON AUDIOBOOK. TINA FEY READS IT! BEST THING EVER OF ALL TIME.

• christinachristina August 2nd, 2012 1:20 PM

YOU ARE SO RIGHT OMG YES

• owlybird August 2nd, 2012 10:58 AM

I wish I could be one of those people who can listen to audiobooks – however, I find when I just listen without reading along, I absorb none of the information. (same thing happens when someone tries to explain how to do something instead of showing me. It’s just how I learn.)

• HollinsCollins August 2nd, 2012 11:27 AM

I absolutely ADORE book on tapes.
    One I really like is Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. I forgot who read it, but IT WAS FANTASTIC AND YOU COULD LISTEN TO SKULDUGGERY TALKING ALL DAY.
    Harry Potter with Jim Dale is of course up there….
    Stuff I didn’t like. Life s We Knew it by Susan Beth Pheifer. (Idk if I even spelled that right. That’s how much I care.) The narration was horrible and whiny and I didn’t even make it through reading the book.
    ALSO! Milo Ventimiglia (who we all love on Heroes!) reading Daniel X by James Patterson…it was very distracting :s and slightly annoying for some reason.

I’m done XD HOLLINS OUT

• NewHormones August 2nd, 2012 1:58 PM

Imperial Bedrooms, Bret Easton Ellis, narrated by Andrew McCarthy, Clay from the film Less Than Zero. Jeremy Irons reading Lolita. Sissy Spacek reads To Kill A Mockingbird; and Sissy Spacek reads Carrie, Carrie reading Carrie.

• Whatsername August 2nd, 2012 3:02 PM

I prefer reading over listening to people talk, but omg I love the #1 Ladies’ Detective Agency! The whole series is so charming, and I’ve always been a sucker for mysteries.

• RockHatesMiriam August 2nd, 2012 6:20 PM

omg I used to LOVE listening to audiobooks when I was a kid! Anything narrated by stephen fry was a winner, I think he did the british audiobooks for harry potter? correct me if I’m wrong!

• isobele August 2nd, 2012 6:44 PM

when I was about 10, I religiously listened to a tape recording of the hobbit EVERY single night when I went to sleep XD

• NotReallyChristian August 2nd, 2012 8:39 PM

Under Milk Wood, Under Milk Wood! Not exactly an audio book seeing as it was written for the radio, but it’s so perfect. If you haven’t heard of it (and unless you’re Welsh or a poetry nut you may not have) it’s a day in the life of a crazy Welsh village full of strange characters, narrated by Richard Burton. Great for learning a Welsh accent, too :)
    Wait, do Americans know what Welsh people sound like? If you don’t you’re in for a surprise.
    Also amazing: Alan Bennett’s Winnie the Pooh. That made such a big impression on me as a child that I was going crazy trying to work out who a guy reminded me of till I remembered it was Bennett’s Eeyore! If your only experience of Pooh is via Disney, then get this, or at least the original book – I normally quite like Disney, but they genuinely wrecked Pooh. The real Pooh is so much funnier!

p.s. Fry’s Harry Potter is so great! I always loved how otherworldly Voldemort sounded, it made him way creepier.

• Bren August 2nd, 2012 10:15 PM

I love celebrities autobiographies/memoirs when they are read by the celebrities themselves. My favorite of all time is Kristin Chenoweths’ A Little Bit Wicked: Love, Life and Faith in Stages. It’ll make you laugh, it’ll make you cry. Sometimes she sings, there’s bits with her best friend Denny, and even a chapter that her ex Aaron Sorkin reads about her, and it’s just fabulous. I’m not very religious but I really like how Kristin talks about her Christianity, it’s so very un-pushy and kind of uplifting to see how it is something that truly comforts her. This audiobook truly comforts ME, and I listen to it when I need some rays of sunshine in my life, also good Tina Fey’s Bossypants in audiobook and of course the lovely Mindy Kaling’s audiobook of Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? And Other Concerns.

• Bren August 2nd, 2012 10:29 PM

So far my “bad” audiobook” experience would be the Hunger Games trilogy. The narrator is kind of….ummmm…..screechy?
      I don’t know, she’s good about making different voices for everyone but her voice feels jarring at times.

• HollinsCollins August 15th, 2012 4:11 PM

I. Totally. Agree.
        I didn’t even finish it!
        (But then I read the books a few years later and loved them.)

• Lenochka August 2nd, 2012 11:16 PM

The Red Necklace by Sally Garner, read by Tom Hiddleston.

He is the actor that plays Loki in Thor and the Avengers. He does an AMAZING job.

I don’t even like audiobooks, but he does a fantastic job. Seriously. Tom Hiddleston.

• NotReallyChristian August 3rd, 2012 9:58 AM

Ooh, I should get this … I am a massive Hiddleston fan – I live in Cambridge where he went to University, and I had a massive crush on him after I saw him as Romeo when I was 9. Then I saw him do a play entirely in Ancient Greek and was in total awe (there were subtitles, or I obviously would have had no idea what was going on).
      So basically I’m his first ever fan. I think I pissed off my boyfriend’s moderately famous friend Frank Turner when I met him and was all OMG YOU WERE AT SCHOOL WITH TOM HIDDLESTON!

• 3LL3NH August 4th, 2012 3:04 PM

I was actually going to comment this before I saw that you already had!!

This is probably the best audiobook I’ve listened to, first because Tom Hiddleston’s voice is heaven regularly, second because his character voices are incredible, third because it’s a really cool story. And there’s also a good amount of French Revolution history that I was totally engrossed by.

I went around listening to Tom on my iPod creepily for months….. so get it now =)

• Lucille August 3rd, 2012 9:32 AM

I guess I will now start buying audio books or whatever.
    love it

• all-art-is-quite-useless August 3rd, 2012 9:56 AM

I used to listen to the Chronicles of Narnia and Horrible Histories tapes when I was younger. I haven’t listened to any audiobooks since I was little, but I still love being read to; it reminds me of my dad reading to me at bedtime when I was younger

• marthaflatley August 3rd, 2012 10:37 AM

another bad audiobook: the time traveler’s wife audiobook is horrible! the narrator emphasizes all the wrong words.

• RXLWK August 3rd, 2012 11:30 AM

Oh wonderful! I have just become completely obsessed with audiobooks (and iTunes U lectures, too) and I’m doing all my pre-semester “reading” using them. It’s the best. It’s great to have some recommendations for things to listen to for fun.

By the way, you can get hundreds of free, public domain audiobooks via iTunes and Project Gutenberg, especially the classics.

• radiofireworks August 4th, 2012 7:16 AM

I’ve never listened to the Harry Potter audiobooks, but I LOVE Stephen Fry’s narration of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Universe by Douglas Adams.

• missmadness August 4th, 2012 8:10 AM

Yeesh to Game of Thrones–just not my thing…
    But major thumbs up to Number One Ladies….I loved the few episodes I caught of the series, and I’m sure the book would (of course) be better. Awesome list.

• tove August 4th, 2012 8:29 AM

I’ve never been a fan of audiobooks, now I feel like I should try this shit.

• Wickedforlife August 4th, 2012 7:53 PM

Also, “Screwtape Letters” by John Cleese. C.S Lewis is a master, and John Cleese does such a great devil impression. And while I’m at it “How to Train your Dragon”. The book itself isn’t my taste but DAVID TENNANT VOICES IT! He has the best scottish accent ever.

• Wickedforlife August 4th, 2012 7:55 PM

oh, and Samuel L Jackson reading “Go the F*** to sleep” The story he tells beforehand is hilarious

• Shakusky August 5th, 2012 2:58 AM

Over Sea Under Stone, was also a really well narrated book-on-tape.

• tilda August 5th, 2012 3:24 PM

I feel wounded by your attitude to Stephen Fry’s Harry Potter reading- that essentially constitutes my childhood. He’s utterly marvellous.
    My other all-time favourite audiobooks are the Just William series read by Martin Jarvis. He has a gorgeous reading voice, ideal for William, and the stories are genius.

• laurenniee August 6th, 2012 6:25 PM

YES NO. 1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY.
    They are the best books for everything cos they’re so sweet and cute and lovely, I’ve been reading them since I was 12. They’re the best books to read before you go to sleep too. :)

• koolkat August 7th, 2012 8:15 AM

Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter was how I managed to be a huge Harry Potter fan when I was four and still struggling through the Magic Key books! I had the 4th one read by Jim Dale and I hated his voice… in fact the 4th book is the one I remember the least because of it! Besides… Voldemort IS shrill and ridiculous! That man screamed constantly, about everything! I think I may cry, Stephen Fry forever!

• Hedwig August 22nd, 2012 12:28 PM

Keeping my ears open

• Cassy1982 September 16th, 2012 10:52 PM

I strongly recommend listening to ANYTHING by Christopher Moore. GREAT comedy writer and he uses even greater narrators! They really help convey the personalities of all the characters, who are always very witty and get themselves into these really far out situations! If you’re looking for something a little more realistic, then he may not be the author for you. But for those of you who enjoy getting into a storyline that is completely out of the ordinary, featuring some very quirky personalities, then I PROMISE, you will not be disappointed!