You Asked It

Damn Girl Ya Look Good

Baldies, bangs, and all kinds of bags.

Hi guys, my hair is full of frizz and undefined curls and has cosmic volume, so I was thinking about shaving my head after finishing high school, but the possible reactions of my friends/parents/classmates scare the hell out of me. What should I do? Will I look like a boy? Will guys find me more unattractive/weird? Or should I just shave it and sing “Bad Reputation” whenever I feel sad? –A., Brazil

Get some clippers and let that fur fly, girl!!! If you’re going to shave your head, now is the time to do it. Why? Because you’re young and free, and you don’t have to worry about adult things that a drastic hairstyle (or lack of one) might hinder, like jobs or impressing people in suits. Now is the time to go WILD and SHOCK (and ROCK) the world with some healthy rebellion in the form of a li’l snip-snip. But I am going to be real witchu. Yes, you will most likely get some stares, comments, and questions (OMG what happened to your hair?!?!), from people in your inner circle and strangers who lack tact. Prepare yourself for this. When I was a teenager, I chopped off all of my locks for a short, spiky, boyish haircut. My mom wasn’t particularly happy at first, and people said shit to me. I remember my stomach turning with regret. But after a couple of days, I settled in with my new look and didn’t give a shit about what people thought—I KNEW I looked cool.

Clockwise from top left: badass baldies Natalie Portman, Amber Rose, Alek Wek, Ève Salvail, Robin Tunney in Empire Records, and Amber Rose, this time with BLUE hair

When I met my best friend a few years ago, she had a shaved head, and I thought she was such a babe. Look at all these hotties in the collage above! Now imagine how completely liberating cutting off all that hair will feel. Your face will look even more striking. AND THINK OF ALL THE MONEY YOU’LL SAVE IN HAIR PRODUCTS! (You can use that as a witty comeback if someone asks why you did it.) If you do decide to go for it, I hope you make a soundtrack to play during the ritual. Definitely gotta put “Bad Reputation” on there, maybe some “Eye of the Tiger,” and a lot of Beyoncé! Remember, when it comes to rocking ANYTHING, it’s all about that confidence, babe. And now I shall leave you with a final touch of inspiration: Robin Tunney’s infamous head-shaving scene from Empire Records:

xo, Marie

I have really, really terrible bags under my eyes. All day, every day, even if I get the best sleep in the world, they’re still there. I’ve started using more concealer/foundation, and it’s working a little bit, but I’d much rather find a long-term solution, or at least something to make my eyes look healthier. The problem is, right now I am a poor student with no money for nice things, so I’m just wondering if you have any tips that are cheap/natural, or should I just save up and get some awesome product that you recommend?

On the subject of bags under your eyes, there are a lot of old wives’ tales—a cold spoon over your eyes, cucumbers, etc.—but I don’t put stock in them. Sometimes those bags are just hereditary (sorry!!!), and a lot of sleep won’t change the situation. So concealer it is—but not heavy-duty, cakey concealer. That will settle into your skin and look reptilian. And not illuminating concealer, or at least not by itself–it tends to just highlight the fact that you’re hiding something, and sometimes it doesn’t provide enough pigment to actually cancel out the darkness. It’s best to color-correct. Since the bags tend to have a blueish hue, use a salmon shade of cover-up. Look for camouflage concealers. This one from Coastal Scents is cheap and good, and this one from Make Up For Ever comes with a multitude of different shades that you can mix and match to suit you. A very popular one is the Eve Pearl Salmon Concealer, and the hype is well-deserved. For a student budget, the Coastal Scents concealer makes the most sense, but if you are going to invest, I suggest Eve Pearl. With concealers and foundation, it can be hard to find a shade and a formula that suits you, and they have bi-annual sales, so you can wait until then to swipe that one for half the price. I hope this helps! –Arabelle

I have been looking for a cute backpack for about a year now, and I still haven’t found anything that fits my ridiculously heavy load and doesn’t give me a hernia. I carry about two textbooks, two notebooks, three folders, and a few miscellaneous things as well. I have found plenty of really cute bags that are in my price range (under $60), but they don’t fit all the things I take with me. Help would be appreciated :) —Marian

Like you, I had a heavy backpack load all throughout high school, so I know how important it is to find a bag that fits everything! Luckily, there are some really cute bags out there that are perfect.

Clockwise from top left: Roxy Coral Zig Zag Backpack, $52, Zumiez; Billabong Take Me With You Backpack, $54, Polyvore; Ecote Patterned Canvas Backpack, $49, Urban Outfitters; Vans Red Realm Backpack, $35, Zumiez

In my experience, skate and surf brands like Vans, Billabong, and Roxy always make really cute backpacks in great prints that ALSO hold your stuff. (That Billabong bag is huge!) Stores like Tilly’s, Zumiez, and PacSun have a great selection all year round, and they cater to boys and girls. When you’re shopping online for a bag, make sure it’s about 16 inches long and at least six inches wide. Rucksacks that don’t zip but have snap closures are something to stay away from. The heavier your load is, the more those are likely to spontaneously open. It’s better to get a backpack that zips. And, of course, the more pockets the better!

Don’t forget, you can make any bag adorable with some DIY magic! Try getting a JanSport Superbreak bag in a cool color and then personalizing it with cute patches, buttons, and pins! JanSport is great because they come in a ton of colors and are sold in so many stores, and if you go to their website and hit “What’s It Fit?” for certain backpacks, it will tell you! Hope this helps you on your journey to finding a cute (but practical) backpack! —Hazel

I really want to get bangs, but I’m not sure if they will look good with my face. All of my friends say that I’ll look bad with them. Should I listen to my friends, or should I just do what I want?

Girlfriend, lemme tell you something: when it comes to asking friends for their opinion on things like that, sometimes it’s best to…not. Yes, most of the time your friends mean well, but in this case, they are just letting out one BIG SAD FART NOISE by making you insecure and raining on your goddamn bangs parade. You feel me? Now, I have had bangs for the past eight or nine years. One time, an asshole (EX)friend told me to grow out my bangs, because they were “too trendy.” What the shit was that? Around the same time, another one convinced me to grow them out, and I think it was because he liked girls with side-swept emo bangs. Stupid me listened to this commentary, and now I basically hate all pictures of me from that tragic Year Without Bangs. How dare I let these people dictate how I want to style my luscious locks!?!

Clockwise from top left: Zooey Deschanel, Krysten Ritter, Reese Witherspoon, and Rooney Mara

What I’m saying is: who cares what your friends think? They aren’t the ones getting bangs. If you’re worried about how you’ll look, I might suggest starting out with longer bangs (like Zooey and Reese), and take it from there. And if you yourself don’t end up liking them? No sweat, sisterdude. They will grow back! And you can clip them to the side, spray them back, or flirt with some headbands in the meantime. But I bet you are going to look cute as hell. And make sure to carry around a switchblade comb everywhere you go to keep that fringe in check!

xo, Marie

If you have a style/beauty question for Marie & the other Rooks, please send it to beautyandstyle@rookiemag.com.

• ravenflamingo August 14th, 2012 11:05 PM

I always love the advice Rookie gives! There are times when I really want to shave my head, but I don’t have what it takes. I admire ladies with the courage to do so.

• sternenfall August 14th, 2012 11:10 PM

I had a shaved head from January to May. Even though I didn’t do it for style reasons (support for my mom who was going through chemo at the time), I think it’s one of the prettiest haircuts. It accentuates features and is 100% maintenance free, I would encourage anyone to at least try having a buzzcut. Anyone that says you did it for attention or that something’s wrong with you should’ve kept their opinions to themselves.

• Bekkii Ryan April 9th, 2013 5:31 PM

I truly admire you for shaving your head for the reasons you did. I wish I had been old enough to think of doing the same when my mum had chemo. Best Regards ~ Bekkii :]

• larvaa_ August 14th, 2012 11:20 PM

I love the advice you guys give , especially on the head shaving topic! I too have been thinking about doing the “big chop” & I’m almost 16 so what better time to do it?! Who doesn’t like experimenting, ya know :)

• rrruthie August 14th, 2012 11:23 PM

on sale for $30:: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=24398778&cm_mmc=Performics-_-Affiliates-_-rewardStyle-_-Primary&clickid=0004c74567f00f100aec7ca8486e2aea
    my backpack (I LOVE it) $25:: http://www.target.com/p/mossimo-supply-co-shelby-knit-backpack-multicolor/-/A-13932109

target (online, that is) has so many great backpacks that are super cheap.

• ViolentDreams August 14th, 2012 11:46 PM

on regards to the head shaved look, this one time i was in art class and i overheard this underclassman talking (she had won homecoming queen the year before) and she was saying how she just wished she could shave her head; and i was a bit taken aback to be honest, and even her friend that she was talking to agreed she wished she could shave her head to and i just wanted to lash out and say they could and well idk…so if any rookie has any douts about going for the shaved head thing i say do it

I traded in my long locks for a uber short pixie: it felt really liberating, although my only regret is that I wish I had gone all the way and shaved my head…….

Now my hair is sorta an overgrown pixie, cant decide if i wanna grow it out or shave it before collage(i start in a few days)……any suggestions

• larvaa_ August 15th, 2012 1:06 AM

I totes think you should shave it before college, since you’ve had a semi pixie cut already. PS hair grows back no worries :)

• ivoire August 14th, 2012 11:49 PM

Omg I don’t know if any of you guys know Nicole Dollanganger but she looks so adorable with a shaved head! http://bugsinricepudding.tumblr.com/

• ivoire August 14th, 2012 11:51 PM

She also makes great music too!

• ViolentDreams August 15th, 2012 12:35 PM

WOW i just checked her out, “great music” is an understatement~

• ViolentDreams August 15th, 2012 12:37 PM

damn canadians always make the best tunes, figures

• ViolentDreams August 15th, 2012 8:47 AM

oh my she looks like that experimental toy Sid crafted from toy story 2; the bald baby doll with the spider legs and missing eye
      Although I must admit it is in the most adorable way~

• Eryn August 14th, 2012 11:53 PM

I’ve been contemplating bangs for some time now, on and off again, and despite my curly cowlicks, I think i’ll go for it and just find ways to manage them! Thanks, Marie!

• indigosunday August 15th, 2012 12:18 AM

When I was rly small I cut my hair straight down the middle with a pair of scissors and so my parenta shaved all my hair off. It’s in my old passport. Personally I think I looked like a babe. So do it, and if you dont like it, you’ll always have a good story to tell. Plus you can wear as many colorful wigs as you want.

• JillianYvette August 15th, 2012 12:20 AM

To the girl who wants bangs, I’ve had them for two years now and they rock! They were a bit iffy at first, but once you get into the groove of things and start trimming and shaping them yourself, it’s awesome.

• hanimalia August 15th, 2012 12:25 AM

Awesome, lovely advice! Someday I’m going to shave my head and then alternate days with retro wigs and a bald head.

• llamalina August 15th, 2012 12:30 AM

I cut my waist-long hair into a pixie a couple months ago. It’s the best feeling. Every girl should cut their hair short at least once just to get that liberating sigh of relief.

• darksideoftherainbow August 15th, 2012 12:30 AM

hazel-so much YES on tilly’s. i wanted the vans realm backpack in leopard print and every site was sold out by the time i had the dough to pay for it. tilly’s came through for me. YES TO TILLY’S!! also, yes to bangs always. they’re easy to hide if you end up not liking them but also, it’s nice to experiment and get yourself to the point where you can do what you want even when there are ppl telling you not to do it. it’s freeing and it took me a long time to get there. bangs take some getting used to, but they are so SO cute.

bald head? yes. please. it’s a beautiful and bold look. it’s scary hard to do, i imagine, but it looks so gorgeous and i envy any girl with the balls to do it. i haven’t done it bc it doesn’t suit my own personal “look” but i have had extreme short hair bc of a cray hair stylist. it was fifth grade and it was awful at first. then i learned how to deal and how to realize that what makes me a girl is so much more than just my hair. it also forced me to see who my friends really were. i had jaw surgery a couple years ago and my cheeks were swollen to the size of balloons. i went outside anyway and took all the stares. i know that my short hair experience of walking into the auditorium and having a whole bunch of kids turn to look/gawk helped me to have the strength to go out with what i had. it might not be the best reason to shave your head (which is to gain confidence and self assurance) but i’m just saying that it helps. but seriously, look at those pics….GORGEOUS.

• LeatherStuddedFae August 15th, 2012 12:31 AM

I DON’T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT MY REPUTATION! Haha. XD

This is awesome. :) I think I’m going to get shorter bangs soon.

• natleboo August 15th, 2012 1:32 AM

So as, a longtime reader and fan of Rookie I had to take the 5 extra seconds to register so I may comment on this:

For any female with a strong desire to shave your head just DO IT. Especially when your young! There will most likely be more resisting pressure (some will call it too risky) against experimenting with your hair when you’re older. I did it on a whim two years ago, ignoring the fear of what my parents, my boyfriend (now ex) and the world would think it felt so… right. And honestly it was the catalyst for a lot of good personal changes for me! I starting doing a lot more of what I wanted for me! All of the people who saw it as negative are no longer in my life anymore anyway :3 Go me! My head felt nice and I felt nice!

(and I looked great)

<3 Rookie

• malifera August 15th, 2012 1:39 AM

I do not ask my friends things about my hair. I’ve shaved a few times, starting in fourth grade. I’ve had every colour ever, and even a peacock mohawk.
    Now that I’m growing my hair out to be long and natural, I still don’t care, and I’m not doing it for the immense proportion of men who told me they’d date me if I had longer hair.
    ‘Cause it’s no thang.

• Sugar August 15th, 2012 3:10 AM

I shaved my head for the second time a week ago. I love it! Do it!

The first go around, I actually got High Fived on the street for my (lack of) hair.

DO IT!!

• daisyhaneisha August 15th, 2012 3:17 AM

Natleboo! This is my first comment too- HI ROOKIE.

I plan to shave my head one day, maybe when I go to live in Africa (a little dream of mine).

This is off-topic, but were any other Australian Rookie readers at the Jinja Safari gig in Melbourne last Friday night??
    I saw so people who I suspected were Rookians!

Dear Rookie, I think you’re quite cool and I am looking forward to the forum or whatevs, coz I am a lonely girl and would love to connect with people :D

• streaked lights August 15th, 2012 3:41 AM

Awesome advice you guys!
    I remember last year, I really wanted to get bangs done but everyone and their dog was telling me not to because I have a round face, a small forehead and it just would look terrible on me. I DID IT ANYWAY. It turns out, it looked great, and I got a ton of compliments on it. Seriously, sometimes it’s better to trust yourself.
    Secondly, I’ve been looking for a cute backpack of AGES. These looks so cute! Thanks :D :D

• Hanne August 19th, 2012 2:11 PM

Agreed! Everything in life becomes so much easier when you let go of baaaad advice from the magazines and people that want you to feel awful about yourself. In my honest opinion, anybody can rock anything with some CONFIDENCE. I have a square but chubby face and a short forehead, and I read I shouldn’t have straight bangs because they would make my face look more round/square/whatever, but it turns out they look super rad! Plus, square or round faces are really cool. Why not accentuate such a great thing?

• Anaheed August 19th, 2012 6:37 PM

I too have a square but chubs face and a short forehead! AND I HAVE BANGS! I don’t know, just had a weird moment of face-shape identification. Carry on.

• Hanne August 19th, 2012 11:16 PM

I used to think my face was round and chubby.. then I stretched back some of that chub (don’t tell me you never tried) and discovered the square underneath it all. It’s probably my mixed heritage (Finnish, Swedish and lotsa genes from indiginous Norwegian Sami people) that gave me that chubby square. I feel like a psychedelic shaman with my purple bangs, I’d never trade it away.

• Anaheed August 20th, 2012 12:02 AM

I have indeed STRETCHED BACK THAT CHUB TO DISCOVER THE SQUARE UNDERNEATH. I am a round peg in a square hole. Or vice versa? I don’t know. My bangs are about half an inch long, the better to show off my half a forehead. Your purple ones sound rad.

• benji August 15th, 2012 3:54 AM

Re: backpacks. My Herschel bag saved my life/back during exams last year. I filled mine with a laptop, a bunch of law textbooks (which are really heavy), a lunch, and some other random stuff all the time. The ones with the leather bottom are stroooong and you don’t even feel like you’re carrying that much.

• HollieLillian August 15th, 2012 5:40 AM

I was considering getting a fringe (bangs) too! I love zooey’s bangs more than life itself.

• Tasya August 15th, 2012 5:42 AM

i have extremely curly and frizzy hair and it takes time for my hair time to grow but i’ve ALWAYS WANTED to shave my head and to grow an afro. i wanted to experiment with a half shave first and i’m 17 but my mum won’t allow me to, not even to dye or get highlights, ie. my hair is virgin hair.

and where i come from, i get enough stares because of my crazy hair so if i become bald i’d be called a crazy person hahaha.

once i go off to university though, and hopefully it’ll be far away from home and i can do whatever the eff i want with my hair. mum doesn’t have to know, and even if she does, she can’t do anything about it ;-)

• ViolentDreams August 15th, 2012 8:43 AM

ahah i did the half shaved thing when i was 17ish,(since my mom wouldn’t let me dye my hair black, blue or anything) my mom fliped as did some of my friends, i never wore the shaved part exposed at school or in public, i just covered it with the other side of hair, i wish i had rocked it; such a waste

• ViolentDreams August 15th, 2012 8:50 AM

~ didnt rock it since my mother wouldnt allow it or even look at me, and i didnt rock it at school cause i didnt have the guts
        only rocked it alone in my room, or with select friends sigh

• Tasya August 15th, 2012 11:45 AM

aww, if i saw you walking down the street or anywhere in school i would’ve been impressed. your friends don’t seem supportive, that sucks :-/ we’re on the same page about our mothers though, haha i understand.

• Moxx August 15th, 2012 7:05 AM

I’ve wanted short, choppy bangs for a while, kids of like a Wanda Woodward from Cry-Baby thing, or a Roonie Mara in Girl With The Dragon Tattoo thing, or even am Yolandi from Die Antwoord thing (but probably not as short).
    The only thing is that I have kid of curly, frizzy hair, so I’m not sure how I would manage if I do go for the bangs. Would straightening them every day work?
    I don’t mind a little extra work, as I’ve been thinking of going for some pinupish hair for a while, but I’m not sure if/how it would work.
    Does anyone have any experience with this (having wavy/frizzy hair cut into blun, short bangs.

P.S. Can we just agree that shaved heads are just aesthetic perfection?

• FlorenceEyre August 18th, 2012 6:38 AM

I have the same problem as you!!! I love Rooney Mara´s haircuts everywhere and always (I think she can do everything she want´s with her hair), but my hair is wavy and sometimes curly and frizzy hair (just when I sleep without ponytail) and my parents would not let me straighten my hair every day, but I want to get bangs so badly!
      I am going to have them before the school starts! (in our country it starts 2nd of September)

• yourenotfunny August 15th, 2012 7:33 AM

man i loooove backpacks. I have an ice blue kanken that’s got a year’s worth of grime and paint stains. i wouldn’t mind it looking brand new again, but i suppose it’s a mark of honor. the suggestions are great!

• Pepino August 15th, 2012 8:57 AM

I’ve got really ‘bad’ bags under my eyes as the girl in letter #2. Big, purple-ish bags that won’t go away whatever i do. I used to hate it, cover it up with far too much concealer and use ice cubes on them, (that really hurt!). This is probably gonna sound a bit weird, but i’ve found out that those bags actually can be something pretty. I’ve learnt to like them, and now, i wouldn’t remove them if i had the chance. It gives a little twist to your appearance. Look at Elle Fanning, she’s got them, and still look beautiful: http://assets.poponthepop.com/photos/full/elle-fanning.jpg

Girl-with-eye-problem; I hope you read this and i hope it helps a bit!

Ps; if you still won’t your bags removed, ice cubes help, but i don’t think it’s very good for your eyes, skin, etc.

• ktk333 September 7th, 2012 5:52 AM

Oh hi! Its me :) Thank you that actually really helps, that’s the first time ever I’ve considered looking at my bags as a positive. And it also reallllly helps to see that someone’s dealt with the same thing as me :) Thank you!

• FlorenceEyre August 15th, 2012 9:25 AM

I want to get bangs so badly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or I want hair like Rooney Mara, probably like during Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, but that would be such a stupid thing, because my hair is wavy (I like it now, but I hated it) and I am an extremely lazy person, so I think I would not have time for styling. I think Rooney Mara´s hair after filming Girl etc. is cool too. But I have got another shape of face and I have got gap teeth (It is genetic). What can I do? Does somebody have an experience with bangs and wavy hair? Is it necessary to make my hair (just bangs) straight? Help me

• Hanne August 19th, 2012 2:30 PM

Hi! I could try to pinpoint you in the right direction when it comes to bangs. It’s a good thing that you like your wavy hair, because I think it is sad that a lot of girls with beautiful curls and waves straighten them out because of the hating and sometimes bullying. I always wished I had waves like my mother. I don’t have wavy hair myself, but very thick and straight “stubborn” purple hair with bangs that run across my forehead at about eyebrow level.

Down to business, even though my hair is straight I need to blowdrow my bangs “down” after I shower. If not they stick straight out in all kinds of directions and I look absolutely ridiculous! So the least you’d have to do is blowdrying a bit. I only takes a minute or two though. Also it depends on how short you decide to go. I’ve read a couple of blogs by girls with bangs n waves, and they do the whole straightening process. So it could be a bit of work, but I guess that depends on how much you care. If you want to, go for it! After all, hair grows out again. As long as you rock it with confidence you’ll be cool.

• mwong1025 August 15th, 2012 9:56 AM

I have these horrible eyebags for as long as I remember. People think I don’t get enough sleep, but the thing is that I sleep like a bear in hibernation! thanks for the tip on the concealer.

I’ve also been debating whether to get blunt bangs like Rooney’s for a while. My mum keeps saying that they won’t go with the shape of my face, etc, etc. I guess I’ll just cut them now and see how it works out ^.^

• a-anti-anticapitalista August 15th, 2012 11:03 AM

They don’t go with the shape of my face according to most people, and I had them through most of my life. If people say that it just means that they will look even more interesting and unique on you and you won’t end up looking like another copy of Katy Perry or Zooey :)

• Tasya August 15th, 2012 11:54 AM

i used to HATE my dark circles. eyebags are better, dark circles just make me look older and tired all the time. i was kinda disappointed when i learnt that they are hereditary, cos my mum has them. during exam time people are always like “LOLZ SLEEP DEPRIVED I LOOK LIKE A PANDA DARK CIRCLEZZZZZ OMGGGG I LOOK UGLY LOLZZZ” and i’m like “i’m stuck with these for the rest of my life, stop complaining…….”

and like you i had a good amount of sleep, was always hydrated, put cucumbers on my eyes, etc. sighhh i’ve grown to like them for a short while then i hated them again and now i don’t mind them lol

• a-anti-anticapitalista August 15th, 2012 10:45 AM

Skinfood salmon darkcircle concealer! I think darkcircles can look cool but recently I’ve been weak and self-conscious so I have been covering them up :c We all have our weaknesses but whatever using makeup is fun.

• a-anti-anticapitalista August 15th, 2012 10:51 AM

For the backpack: Sanrio! ones from non-official sanrio stores or the internet (or faked) will be cheaper and have more variety of cool designs. OR even better: you can get a plain backpack and just draw your own designs on it. Now that I am in college (and I had a hernia before from carrying books on the 1st grade because I went to a crazy Opus Deis school in Venezuela) I switch between a black roller bag with polka dots and a My Melody backpack. I know roller bags are not an option in highschool because they aren’t acceptable, but in college they totally are. Just make it something cute and fun so you don’t get mistaken for a graduate or medical student haha. If you are in highschool and you don’t care about what people think and you are totally out-there and OUTRAGEOUS and like cute thing get a straight-up little kid roller backpack. Those are the best IMO and it doesn’t seem like you have to fit that much stuff there.

• Hecticglow August 15th, 2012 10:54 AM

I was wondering if you might be able to do one off these advice things for me. I have short (shoulder-ish length) curly hair. Not like tight curls or really big bannana curls, just like medium sized corkscrew curls. The problem is that I don’t know how to style my hair, normally i either wear it down all curly and stuff or i put it in a pony tail. I just want more variety with out having to straighten it, because it is such a hassel, but very frequently i am jealous of girls wearing their hair in cute fishtail braids or beehives or prarie braids. Please help-jordan :)

• Blythe August 15th, 2012 4:03 PM

I’ve always thought that sort of messy pigtail braids on curly-haired girls look really cute. It’d probably work with any type of braid! I’ve got pin-straight hair, so I can’t help you much here, but my instinct is to say you style it while it’s wet…?

• a-anti-anticapitalista August 15th, 2012 11:02 AM

(lastcomment) for the girl who wants bangs: I have the most “anti-bang” face ever, it’s very long and thin, no cheekbones or even cheeks, yet I had bangs from when I was 13 till when I started college, and they went through all lengths (from almost inside my eyes to so short people would make bald jokes) . I went through a LOT for those bangs, I lived in Caracas Venezuela when I got them, and if they weren’t normal in the US in Venezuela they were considered even weirder and I got compared to a little kid so many times. I went through literally everyone including significant others telling me to change them because they didn’t fit my face, and then begun getting trendy and then Lady Gaga happened and they got REALLY trendy and I had to deal with comparisons to her and other stupid celebrities when I had them for way longer and I considered them part of ME. I considered letting them grow for these reasons many times (and even did for a little bit while I had white hair because lady gaga comparisons were driving me crazy) but I realized that no matter what other people thought or who else had them, they were part of ME. If you like something, it doesn’t matter what others think because it’s part of YOU and YOU know why you like it, and this helps you find people who understand you and your aesthetic preferences because when I found people who also thought I looked better with bangs I knew they got me . Forget conventional beauty standards and do you (cheesy, I know).

• pygmypuffs August 15th, 2012 12:40 PM

In regards to backpacks – I did IB all throughout high school, which means I had the course loads of a grad student at the tender age of 14, and the textbooks/binders to match. You gotta invest in that shiz. My mom bought me a decidedly ugly LL Bean bag when I entered high school, and I was all, ugh no only total losers have this bag, I’ll bring a cute tote instead, lalala, but by the second week of school, I dug that bag out from under my bed and ROCKED IT until graduation. After that, I got a new Billabong bag, and have used that ever since. Billabong bags last FOREVER – it has seen me through college, hikes, bike rides, plane rides, and holds everything I own (almost).
    BUT another solution is heading down to the Army Navy surplus store and buying a backpack there. They’re designed to withstand combat, y’all – they’ll make it through high school. PLUS they’re super cheap, PLUS the army-wear trend is huge right now, just look at Urban Outfitters for two seconds and you’ll see a million military inspired pieces. PLUS you can slap some pins and patches on an army surplus bag and look totally grunge and badass. I seriously spend like half my paycheck at the army surplus store, it’s absurd. Army Surplus 4 lyfeeee

• unefillecommetoi August 15th, 2012 1:12 PM

i’d like to get bangs like juliette greco in orphee http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv9/francomac123/Actrices/Juliette%20Greco/02_Juliette_Greco_Orphee.png or ana karina but i worry about them making my skin greasier and giving me forehead acne D:

• Blythe August 15th, 2012 4:06 PM

I have REALLY greasy skin and some acne, and I don’t think my forehead has gotten any worse than it was before I had bangs! However, I do have to wash my bangs every day (if I don’t want to wash all my hair, I just do it over the sink) because my forehead grease rubs off on them and makes them look gross. So that IS something to take into consideration–I think it mostly depends on how greasy your skin already is.

• helene August 15th, 2012 1:25 PM

To the girl that was wondering about eye bags: I used to wake up with puffy bags under my eyes, then I found out about spreading lecithin (the protein that’s found in egg yolks) on them. It’s a handy trick so you should know.

You could try spreading a bit of egg yolk on the bags under your eyes and wait a bit, if your skin feels kind of tight, this will work for you.

I bought a jar of fluid lecithin it on eBay, but if you have easy access to lecithin gel capsules I guess you could crush those and get the same result (I just bought a jar online because I don’t live in the States and it was way cheaper).

I usually spread a little bit on my puffy bits, cover with a bit of plastic so that my hair won’t get sticky, and go to sleep with it. In the morning, I wash it off and enjoy my bag-free face!

• Lucille August 15th, 2012 1:31 PM

Bald girls are so cool!I had something like bald haircut(yeah) a year ago, but now it’s growing.
    Love that.
    and love the last backpack.
    and Rooney too!

• pangirl August 15th, 2012 2:24 PM

As far as backpacks are concerned, I suggest Kankens. I had the same problem when I entered college-I couldn’t find a cute backpack that held all of my stuff and didn’t give me a back ache. Ever since I (and my sister) bought a Kanken, I have had no problems at all. I love it! And they come in like a gazillion colors.

• Hannah August 15th, 2012 3:02 PM

It’s so neat that you post this about shaving your head 4 hours after I shaved my head! I love love love my shaved head and I feel awesome with it.

• suze August 15th, 2012 3:18 PM

I got a short bob haircut with side swept bangs and I love it so much! I never regretted cutting of my long hair. You should just do it. Short hair just feels great.

• Microbyte1 August 15th, 2012 4:08 PM

i shaved my hair 2 years ago for a cause with 2 other girls and it’s weird to say but it’s really a fun experience having no hair.
    At the beginning i was like “YEAH, no hair it’s so easy!” but but the phase between shot and long hair can sometimes be ugly, lol.

people didn’t change their attitude around me, they just REALLY REALLY wanted to touch my head

Anyway, you should do it for yourself.
    If boys or your friends or anybody acts weird or doesn’t talk to you ’cause of that their just fake and stupid.

“You got nothing to lose, you don’t lose when you lose fake friends” – Joan Jett

• Yayo August 15th, 2012 5:11 PM

I want to shave my head SO badly. But I honestly don’t really like my facial features (I have very big ears, and my nose is pretty big too) and I feel like they’d be so obvious and ugly. Stupid, I know, I just don’t have the confidence.

My hair is pretty long at the minute, but after I’ve dip-dyed it I’m going for a bob and short bangs (or a fringe, in the UK).

• runningfilm August 15th, 2012 6:46 PM

Someone might have already suggested this, but for the person with bags under there eyes: Have you tried taking over the counter allergy medicine? If you have even mild/seasonal/whatever allergies, it could make the bags happen. That was the case with me, so I just take some Costco brand allergy stuff every morning and they stay small.

• O. August 15th, 2012 7:07 PM

All you guys who really want to shave your hair off – DO IT!!! I shaved my hair off this time last year and it was the BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE and I keep my head shaved now.

My mum freaked out becuase she didn’t believe me when I said I would do it and she’s still really angry about it now but I feel so much more confident so I couldn’t care less.

My family also freaked out because apparently hair is the beauty of a woman (what a load of crap) but they’re over it now.

Everyone at school thought I was really cool for shaving my hair off (minus the popular kids who laughed at me whenever I walked past them but hey they’re losers) and quite a few people came up to me and told me how I’d inspired them to be more bold which meant everything to me because I am cripplingly shy and lack confidence.

I get mistaken for a boy ALL THE TIME but I find it hilarious becuase I have the most feminine face ever so I’m not bothered.

Okay, I’m gonna shut up now ’cause this is getting kinda long :P

Oh I forgot… people will want to touch your head. Family. Friends. Random strangers. Get used to it.

• Taylor WM August 15th, 2012 8:10 PM

I’ve currently been lusting over Grimes’ hair where the front is shaved at the sides and the back is shaved :) So, if you want to shave your hair, do it! And anyone who bothers to be mean about it obviously doesn’t understand how insanely cool you are for doing it, or just secretly has never had the guts to do it themselves and so is jealous! ;)
    Taylor xoxo

• laris August 15th, 2012 8:52 PM

OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS JUST MADE MY ENTIRE WEEK, SERIOUSLY.

I was already freaking out when I saw ‘Baldies, bangs, and all kinds of bags.’ and Robin’s picture, and all that support to shave, omg guys, thank you so so so so much <333333333

I want to cry the hair/water out of me

• laris August 15th, 2012 8:53 PM

Btw, Marie, you are the best! <3

• sophia August 15th, 2012 9:04 PM

i love empire records so much. its my favorite. SAY NO MORE MON AMOR

• PorridgeOats August 16th, 2012 10:45 AM

My sister recently chopped off her ringlets cos she was fed up trying to tame her fringe, she’s now rockin a red pixie cut and it looks awsome. :)
    Also my friends told me i couldn’t work a fringe (bangs) but i didn’t listen and i look BADASS!!! ;)

• emmaaday August 16th, 2012 11:41 AM

I just got bangs at the start of the summer and i LOVELOVELOVE them! I was worried about them because I have a chubby face, but they look great! Personally, I don’t think it matters what kind of face or hair you have, bangs always look good as long as you think they look good! Join the fringe parade!

• Jessy August 18th, 2012 10:00 PM

I shaved my head a couple of years ago and loved it. Strangely enough I got a job in some swish bar soon after and got so so many compliments from BORING guys (and women) who were so into my shaved head, ew. It was really interesting to see how my hair grew back, completely natural and wild – until I bleached the hell our of it again.

As for the Undereye bags thing, I’ve found that having a healthy diet with lots of good fat (fish, nuts and oil) and regular exercise (for me, bike riding to school), makes a huge difference to my under eye bags. Exercise just makes you glow (inside AND out, cliche cliche cliche but whatever it’s true), it’s amazing.

• lizard August 19th, 2012 5:49 PM

• Emma August 19th, 2012 6:35 PM

does anyone have advice on pixie cuts? are they hard to maintain? I really want to get one, but I’m scared I won’t pull it off…

• preachypreach August 20th, 2012 11:43 AM

dear god that switch blade comb made me chuckle very loud.

• decemberbaby August 20th, 2012 12:13 PM

Is it possible to have your forehead be “too short for bangs?” A few hairdressers told me that when I was younger. My mom would ask, “Do you think she’d look nice with bangs?” and they’d say, “No, her forehead is too short for bangs.” Is that an actual thing?

• Anaheed August 20th, 2012 1:42 PM

I don’t think so at all. I have a really short forehead and have had bangs forever.

• mads August 20th, 2012 3:08 PM

Oh I have wanted to shave my head for a while, I would probably also use it to raise money for a charity. The only thing I am so scared about would be those awkward in-between growing stages… for those of you girls who have shaved your heads (props to you btw!) how did you handle those times where your hair was just at a really weird length?
    x

• soybrain August 22nd, 2012 4:12 PM

I cut bangs the other day. I had also got comments from friends and my mom literally begging me not to get bangs. of course that made me want to even more, so i grabbed a scissor and chopped off my hair. it was like the best desicion of my life! i feel like a total different person and it honestly looks great, and even my mom thinks so! ;-)

• Magdalen September 20th, 2012 12:07 AM

The other good thing about super super short hair? Extreme hair dye isn’t as much of a commitment. The wig possibilities that ppl pointed out above are also awesome. I have a big head, so the only way I think I could do wigs was if I shaved my head. It’s not in my schedule, but it would be a definite perk….

• Magdalen September 20th, 2012 12:07 AM

Also, whatever you do, IT GROWS BACK. Do not forget this fact.