Dear Diary

August 15, 2012

Nothing stays the same.

Ruby

I’m still at camp (last week here!) and not much can happen in the same place with the same people in a short amount of time. So, recently, a number of small things have been happening.

• One of my favorite things to do is to take up completely out-of-character hobbies, get really good at them, and then surprise people with my skills at random times with no warning (I’m looking at you, cup stacking). Most recently I have tried to get my friend Callie to teach me how to rap. It is not working because I refuse to be grammatically incorrect. I can work around it, I swear, but she doesn’t believe me.
  • I attended a philosophy seminar. That was pretty cool.
  • Bottles of soap and whole rolls of toilet paper keep ending up inside the toilets in the middle of the night. This has been going on for about a month. People have started calling the anonymous perpetrator “Toilet Fiend.” (It’s not me!)
  • A kid looked at me and immediately decided that I cut myself, and also that it was hilarious. When he tried to get his friends to back him up or whatever by laughing with him, they called him out on being a total asshole and said he wasn’t funny. It made me happy. I never saw the kid again.
  • I made a wand (modeled after the real Draco Malfoy’s, of course) and sewed a little holster for it into my dress robes (yes, I brought dress robes) for the play.
  • I’m on the BP Fashion Board at Nordstrom and our first meeting is right after I get back from camp! I’m very excited about that.

But by the time my next diary is posted, I’ll be home! I’m not homesick exactly, but I do kind of miss sleeping in my own bed and, you know, electricity. ♦

1 2 3 4 5

• GlitterKitty August 15th, 2012 7:13 PM

If I could, I would totally throw confetti around and make a banner for you Naomi.

• EmilyJn August 15th, 2012 7:46 PM

Good luck for your exam results (AS results I’m guessing?) tomorrow Naomi! I’m getting mine as well….agh!

• Eryn August 15th, 2012 8:32 PM

Can a preteen Rookie please tell Dylan that she is their hero?

• bugaleeto August 15th, 2012 8:53 PM

Minnaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Im so sad that you wont be a diarist anymore! Thought your last diary was so awsome and good.

• I.ila August 15th, 2012 9:18 PM

Nooo! Minna, we’ll all miss you so much! I can’t wait to see more of your work on Rookie!

• Abby August 15th, 2012 11:44 PM

Katherine, I feel you. I leave on the 23rd, and I’m… scared and excited and apprehensive and nervous, among many other emotions. It’s pretty terrifying to go to live with strangers 10 hours away from your home, and I’m definitely feeling that terror. And thinking about trying to make friends??? Even more terrifying. But with any luck, we will get through it :).

• ivoire August 16th, 2012 1:51 AM

omg minna!!!!!

• Lucille August 16th, 2012 3:29 AM

Ruby, can’t wait you to come back home and start writing posts again!: )

• Hannah. August 16th, 2012 6:43 AM

Dylan, it’s really nice to hear that you feel like that. Which sounds mean! But I mean I just feel like you described my life I just feel so defeated and them randomly lazy and I like how you just have a cool life because when I get like that I feel like I will just die before anything I wanted too ever happens or that I’ll just never leave Canberra and Ill become a public servant like the rest of the city. Anyway thanks gurrl. You always make me happy.

• Emelie August 16th, 2012 6:55 AM

Katherine, good luck with starting college! Your required alcohol education course sounds like the one I had to do before my freshman year. Our version had a cartoon frog named “Hoppy” who would chime in every four slides to remind us that “One cup is NOT one drink!” People were still imitating Hoppy’s cheerful exhortations when they were seniors.

Which is not to say that there’s not useful information in those classes, and that drinking safely is really, really important, but the heavy-handed, middle school aesthetic of the AlcoholEdu system makes it perfect as an icebreaker when you’re trying to meet other fabulous new freshmen.

Also, backpacks in college = good. Definitely bring a backpack. It saves so much time trudging back and forth to your dorm, and it’s great for smuggling bagels into the library.

• Mim September 12th, 2012 9:01 PM

Some college libraries entirely allow food!

• Naomi August 16th, 2012 10:10 AM

i got an A in history, a B in politics and C in english lit (the irony) !! i am pleased

• Rhiannon August 16th, 2012 4:16 PM

Congratulations Naomi!! :) I got my results today aswell and felt pleased too but I totally get what you mean…
    The end of summer is looming and I have no idea what to do with myself

• DE August 16th, 2012 11:06 PM

Naomi fist off you like Tame Impala!!! Second I went to boarding school art year which I absolutely hated. The school was full of close minded elitists who I had nothing in common with, I was homesick all year, isolated and wanting so badly to take part in some sort of discussion that actually made me think. By the middle of the year I had developed serious anxiety and depression. I had my first anxiety attack and thought I was going to die. I continued to have anxiety attacks for the rest of the year. Nobody understood or helped me. The first time I told my mom she thought it was all in my head. I felt completely alone. Finally my mom did some research on anxiety and believed me. I started to go to doctors and get help. It was finally decided that I return home. Now I have a week before my new school starts and am becoming more and more anxious and facing the same problems as you. I don’t really know why I’m sharing all this on but i just had this weird aha! moment where i realized I’m not the only one. thank you.

• guiltfreedonut August 20th, 2012 10:05 PM

MINNA! I will so miss your gorgeous collages but I’m glad you’ll still be illustrating.