Everything else

Road Trip Diary: Week Two

Getting weird across America.

Welcome to week two of the Rookie Road Trip! Last Friday we drove to Chicago and went straight to Saki, the record and zine store, for an afternoon of zine-making and music by Tiny Fireflies, a rad duo I just asked Hazel to describe. She said, “Shoegazey? Dreampop? Twee?” SO, there ya go.

Tiny Fireflies!

Zines!

Meeting readers at Saki was a delight, and because I am from Chicago and we realized we all lived within miles of each other, it was especially REAL. Also, all of the zines were so cute and decorated with Loteria cards and glitter glue, and it was just good times and good vibes. Fat thank-yous to Erin at Saki for providing so many great zine-making supplies and for having purple hair and for letting us take over the store for an afternoon.

Obligatory group shot.

That night I hosted the road trippers at my house (minus Anaheed, because she’s not allowed) (JK she stayed with her sister) (lame), and we ate with my friends and then watched Superbad at my friend Amelia’s house. This is worth mentioning to you because it humanizes this project of ours that otherwise looks very professional and fancy:

As evidenced by our many selfies.

Petra is prone to things that suck, which means that over the course of the last week she has: dislocated her knee, developed a sinus infection, and caught pink eye. SO CUTE! Hope she channels all this inspiration into a beautiful Rookie crown covered in snot and kneecaps! So she stayed at my house with her Canadian slaves (boyfriend and sister) on Chicago Day Two, while Anaheed, Hazel, and I went to Girls Rock! Chicago’s end-of-session-one performance. It is basically a dream of mine to watch a bunch of girls in elementary and middle school make music and scream lyrics like “gender roles are sappy!” on stage in front of a ton of people, so this event was AWESOME. The band names were the best because they were so effortless in the way adult musicians often aspire to be. My favorite was Sharx. Sharx!

SO MANY ROCK STARS! Anaheed took some awesome photos of girls performing and put them up on our Tumblr. Here I am with one of Sharx’s guitarists and Willa, a camp counselor.

We left the next morning for Iowa City. Driving in, we estimated that approximately three people would come to our event. When we got there, the town was desolate but still delightful. In the end, a lot of people showed up, but only because they were all part of a dance program and had seen a poster for it and figured it would give them something to do. It was still really nice to meet them though! We went to White Rabbit first to stock up on some nice vintage things, then to the Record Collector to stock up on some nice music things. By the time we took our group picture at the end of the afternoon, it had kind of filtered out to the actual Rookie readers, one of whom had to assure her mom that we were not a cult:

This girl named Susie designed that fabric and dress herself!

Back at the hotel, I made all my crap look cute for no reason:

Then we road trippers headed off to a lake with a box of pizza and adventurous spirits! The next morning, we left for Omaha, Nebraska, and settled in at the beautiful apartment of our pals Joey (of Claire’s Diary) and Mark. They had a shrine on practically every shelf, and totally appreciated our diet of candy and other junk, making us feel right at home. We met Rookie readers at Film Streams to see Moonrise Kingdom, which ended with Anaheed and me hugging and all of us teary-eyed. Then the whole group headed to Blue Line Coffee for edible things.

Hazel and I realized that she had dressed like Suzy (vintage collared dress, blue eyeshadow) and I had dressed like Sam (uniform shorts, my glasses). Anna, on the far right, clearly ruined everything.

Jessica H. got this photo exactly right: "This looks like a still from a medication commercial. 'Ask yr doctor if Lunestra is right for you'-style."

The next day, we went to New Life Thrift, where I bought an old American Flag (AMURRIKAHHHHH) and old records with pretty covers and stuff for our upcoming installation at Space 15 Twenty. Then we went to Urban Outfitters for an afternoon of banner-making. It was set up like a little slumber party, with delicious snacks everywhere!

I made one that said POO and one that said POOP, because I am mature.

Alice had the best banner, and the best smile.

July 4th followed, and Hazel, Anna, and I celebrated by starting the day with a Netflix streaming of Beauty & the Briefcase. HAVE YOU WATCHED THIS MOVIE? PLEASE DO SO ASAP. WITH SUBTITLES, AS A MORE EXPLICIT WAY OF SHOWING HOW RIDICULOUS AND AMAZING IT IS.

It was a long day of driving to make it to Boulder, Colorado, for a meet-up at Gateway Park. We raced go-karts, played arcade games (I used all my tickets to get 25 temporary tattoos and a beautiful ring), had some REAL TALK over soft pretzels, and go-karted again in the dark of night.

Dillon had such good arcade luck and personal style.

Hazel and I getting serious. Anna would later run someone OFF THE TRACK with her road rage.

REAL TALK.

Today was just a long driving day with no meet-up, but the scenery really started to get beautiful. I guess when we were preparing for this trip, I was expecting the route to be full of mountains and weird diners the whole way through, like as soon as I left my house. But it hadn’t been like that. Now that we’re further west, though, it’s getting sort of exciting. After eating we listened to Nancy Sinatra while taking photos at Penny’s Diner

…then blasted Fleetwood Mac as we drove through the desert…

…and Cat Stevens while we passed through mountains in Utah.

So far, America is really living up to the daydreams that filled my brain during this school year.

Avery has earned himself the nickname THE PUNISHER, because he is super quiet but when he does say something, it is usually a pun, and it is usually brilliant.

I mostly work on Yearbook stuff while listening to Taylor Swift. Listening to her makes me cry, so now you know that TEARS went into that thing you’re spending money on. That is, if you plan on buying a copy come September, which you should! Because all the cool kids are doing it, and peer pressure is great!

Anaheed and Hazel are the most sane of all of us. Congrats, I guess.

We still have some of the West and the West Coast left, so go check our itinerary to see if you can make it to any of our events next week! ♦

• rosiesayrelax July 6th, 2012 3:04 PM

oh, Dillon has such a rad style. for a boy.
    (oh, and i love today’s background!)

Rosie Say Relax

• isobele July 6th, 2012 3:06 PM

ahha this looks so amazing! Why do I live on the other side of the world :’(
    are you guys still doing a penpal thing for rookie cuz that would be so awesome!

• July 6th, 2012 3:09 PM

yeah when is that coming?

• cami8 July 6th, 2012 7:22 PM

Yes! I would love that! I live the other side of the world too :(

• July 6th, 2012 3:09 PM

Looks like you gals are having so much fun. These diarys are awesome :)

• Peanutpug July 6th, 2012 3:16 PM

Looks so much fun :)

• keezey July 6th, 2012 3:17 PM

GAHHH!!! I’m so jealous! Why must I live in the South?

• Laia July 6th, 2012 3:19 PM

but we ARE totally a CULT!!!!!!

(the expressions above do not necessaarily reflect those of ROOKIE or um what?)

CULTTTTT.

• Lily July 6th, 2012 5:29 PM

Don’t worry, as soon as my mom picked me up I told her Rookie really was a cult and that I joined it. (:

• Whatsername July 6th, 2012 3:20 PM

duuudeee the girl in the Girls Rock Chicago picture has the exact same bass as meee
    omg why can’t I be there

I seriously hope I can buy the yearbook too, how long do you think you’ll have stock? cuz September is when I’m ~finallyy~ getting doc martens which are expensive so i wouldn’t be able to get the yearbook right away

• abbs July 6th, 2012 3:21 PM

Aw it all looks so exciting. You guys are making me wanna go on a road trip of my own! (‘:

• Susann July 6th, 2012 3:24 PM

Everything looks like such a fun time! Wish I could do something as exciting… maybe I’m going to watch that Hilary Duff movie though!

Fashion in Pepperland

• SarahCat July 6th, 2012 3:27 PM

Can I just say that Rookie-related people, are the coolest looking people? Seriously, I want to be friends with everybody in the pictures.

• Moxx July 6th, 2012 3:58 PM

Second this. The Rookies I met at the meet up in my town as well as the Rookies I see in these pictures are so cool.
      I think maybe it’s got something to do with a style interest thing?
      Anyway, what an aesthetically pleasing bunch we are. c:

• Flower July 6th, 2012 3:32 PM

This looks so great! I wish I lived in America more than ever now.

• HollinsCollins July 6th, 2012 3:34 PM

Please come to Virginia, however uninviting it may seem!

• unicorn July 6th, 2012 3:49 PM

I LOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE Susie’s dress so much! It is so adorable and spectacular and kind of reminds me of alice in wonderland, and it is so cool that she designed it herself!
    And rookie road trip should come to Florida!

• pixie pop July 6th, 2012 10:57 PM

I live in Florida, too! We should plan our own meet up.

• ghoststakepolaroids July 6th, 2012 3:51 PM

crying because I live in little Wales

• Moxx July 6th, 2012 3:59 PM

I love Susie’s dress!!!

• Pashupati July 6th, 2012 9:26 PM

Yeah. I can’t believe she even made the fabric herself. It looks so great, I thought it was some expensive lolita brand… Looking up to her as a crafter/seamstress thing motivational thing. (this sentence makes no sense because it’es 3AM26 here.)

• azultardis July 6th, 2012 4:17 PM

haha I play loteria all the time with my family, and also you have an abanico I don’t know how to say it, of la Virgen de Guadalupe :O

• tinyglasstears July 6th, 2012 4:24 PM

When are the specific details for the events in L.A. coming out? I need to know soon in order to make plans and stuff! Thanks!

• AliceinWonderland July 6th, 2012 4:28 PM

I am CRYING NEVERENDING POOLS OF TEARS because I get on a plane headed for Hawaii the day that you guys come to San Francisco!!!! WHY!

• gogobionicgirl July 6th, 2012 4:29 PM

So cool! Will you guys (i mean girls) be going to Disney Land?!

• Impybat July 6th, 2012 4:31 PM

Regan from The Exorcist doing her thing to LMFAO needs to become a YouTube video, if it hasn’t already.

• ToriLynne July 6th, 2012 5:26 PM

Thank you so much for updating everything, guyz! Everything looks amazing. I am so excited for the Portland meet up! See you soon!
    xo, Tori

• Isabellla July 6th, 2012 8:12 PM

Wowow America has such beautiful scenery. I want 2 cry because I wish I could make it to one of these meet ups! They look awesome.

• Ben July 6th, 2012 8:43 PM

I am so exited! Your getting closer! I get to see you soon! Rookie is a wonderful cult!
    Oh and I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q_mcIraFFo

• PZ July 6th, 2012 8:46 PM

beauty and the briefcase is so great!! it’s like a poor man’s how to lose a guy in 10 days, and a poor man’s anything is totally good/bad in the best way (see: secret life of the american teenager or literally any lifetime movie).

also, i totally wish you guys had come to st. louis. but living vicariously through these posts isn’t too bad.

• La Fille July 6th, 2012 9:17 PM

This looks so awesome! I’m definitely coming to the San Francisco one. :)

• Maddy July 6th, 2012 10:46 PM

First Music & Lyrics and now this Beauty and the Briefcase business? You are introducing me to some gurd cul-turee.

• Susie N-W July 7th, 2012 12:38 AM

The Rookie meet up was awesome. I am shy so I was nervous but Rookie people=best people. A woman in the shop didn’t know what Rookie was, and wanted to know if there was some fashion thing going on. I’m so happy that people liked my dress too! It was my first time wearing that dress outside my house.

• GlitterKitty July 9th, 2012 10:28 PM

Are you the dress Susie?! That dress is freaking amazing. Major high fives to you and your kick ass dress making skills. You should wear it outside the house every single day even in the winter.

• EvaLavender July 7th, 2012 1:40 AM

OMG I’m so excited. I may start crying when Rookie comes to my city because I’m just so emotional due to my current state of menstruation.

xx Eva
    stylewandering.blogspot.com

• Anaheed July 7th, 2012 1:47 AM

Yay we can be hormonal together.

• fdanielle July 7th, 2012 2:22 AM

You guys should wave when you pass through Mt. Shasta! It is THE coolest California mountain town around. We have more crystal shops than coffees shops and the aliens roam free! No but for serious, it’s crazy and gorgeous :) Aaaaaaaand, an original member of the Source Family lives here!!

• Daltrey July 7th, 2012 2:55 AM

I’m not even there, but I’m feeling all the feels! It sounds so exciting and awesome, and Americaland has all the vibes right now! It’s too cold in NZ!
    In honour of this I’m having a Rookie week next week, full of glitter, music, movies, stickers and MORE GLITTER!
    glimmerofsanity.tumblr.com

• avisanti July 7th, 2012 4:30 AM

I hope I get to be a part of this someday. Come to the Philippines, Rookie! :D

• Lillypod July 7th, 2012 4:37 AM

lol somebody in Wales reads this..made my day!

• theaterbex July 7th, 2012 9:08 AM

Wow, my picture is on Rookie! Dream come true.

Tavi, I really enjoyed being your “fake conversation” buddy while that guy (your dad?) took pictures of you in Chicago. I love Rookie. Thanks to you and all the other writers for inspiring me and for always saying the right things.

• Tavi July 7th, 2012 1:37 PM

not my dad! chicago magazine is doing a story on the road trip. sorry that was kind of awkward, but thank you for going along with it…i didn’t want to make his job hard or anything. thankfully we actually had stuff to talk about though, so yay! it was so nice to meet you, and i loved your bowtie, and thanks for the nice comment.

• tove July 7th, 2012 9:25 AM

I’m seriously too jealous to write how PERFECT does this trip look/sound like.

• bethan July 7th, 2012 10:29 AM

I’m so jealous, I might actually die. Thanks Rookie! Condolences can be sent to my mum!

• Nishat July 7th, 2012 11:58 AM

I think the funniest thing about this post was that you called it “the Party Rock Anthem” like… it’s THE anthem, y’know? The trip looks amazing. Don’t get too crazy (is it way past that point?)

Get. More. Crazy.

• whatnaomiloves July 7th, 2012 12:33 PM

AHHHHHHHHHH I wish I could join in on the fun!

• ladylaurenia July 7th, 2012 12:33 PM

Hello Rookie! This is really important. I’m going to be in NY in the month of July for only four days. Where is the list for the road trip saying where you guys are going and the dates? I can’t seem to find it and I would love to meet y’all! <3

• Anyu July 7th, 2012 10:47 PM

Love your magazine !

• Anyu July 7th, 2012 10:52 PM

“Update on our losing it: Petra and Anna FREAKED OUT in the car when we listened to the Hamster Song and to the Party Rock Anthem. I mean, like, speaking in tongues and doing freaky spazzy possessed dances. Just imagine Regan from The Exorcist doing her thing to LMFAO. Please send help.”

haha , no news to me :) ! Good luck ! :))
    ” I thought she is going to make you loose your mind ….we just wanna seeya, WANDS UP ……….!” :))))

• Isaak July 8th, 2012 3:39 AM

This is a great article!!!!!! This is so American and fabulous!!!

• moonflower July 8th, 2012 7:54 AM

You have no idea how jelous I am! This is the stuff I genuinely dream of. Also I wish you’d come to england, I’m going to the meet up in London as it’s the closest experience I can get!

I’m happy for all of you though, enjoy the rest of your journey!

• keisya July 8th, 2012 8:36 AM

i wish i live in america and can be there :’)

• Lucille July 8th, 2012 10:28 AM

When I watch that photos, I keep wondering why the hell am I not there?!
    LOVE it!

• 3LL3NH July 8th, 2012 6:02 PM

When you said “losing it” I did a double take and was like, wait, wait, what are you losing exactly? Because I am just that mature….

• bethleeroth July 8th, 2012 11:37 PM

Lesson learned from Iowa City weirdness: COME TO GEORGIA NEXT TIME. THERE ARE HORDES OF US HERE. CRYING.

• ashleylynn July 9th, 2012 8:52 AM

This roadtrip looks like SO MUCH FUN. I totally want to go to the US and do the same. Saving up as we speak!

Also wanted to say that I really love rookie and that, if I could, I would have come to one of your meetings. Bit hard all the way from the Netherlands though, but who knows, maybe someday :)

(http://ashleylynn.nl)

• sherry July 9th, 2012 10:09 AM

wanna live in USA so that I can join u guys!!aw…

• starpower July 9th, 2012 11:21 AM

amazing photos!

looks like a really cool time, I wish I was there!

• Jen L. July 9th, 2012 4:28 PM

It was so much fun meeting guys in Boulder! Not to get all Katy Perry on you, but who needs fireworks when you’re in the company of so many brilliant and bold people? Fo’ real though.

I had a blast playing air hockey with you Tavi, haha you are a worthy opponent and I hope we can have a rematch some day!

When I visualize the road trip, I think of you guys as being the tread that ties us all together. It’s a good first step and all, but I’ve been thinking– let’s all pool our assets and buy a private island in the Caribbean and live out the rest of our days surrounded by conversation and art and pop culture and cool people! Yeah woot! Who’s in??

Haha, but actually. Thank you all for doing what you do. It means the world to me to have Rookie at the end of the day.

Sending much love from Colorado!

-Jen

• Kaylie July 11th, 2012 4:02 AM

That looks like such a blast!! I really want to go to the San Francisco meet-up! I recommend heading to Japan Town and the two amazing little malls they have if there’s any time while you’re in the bay area. I do have to admit its much cleaner and cuter than Chinatown. The food is delicious and cute; especially the ice cream in one of the malls- they put faces on them! And the stores have clothing & accessories straight from Japan.

• DaisyQueen July 11th, 2012 8:12 PM

Are you going????? It’s going to be totes amaze. :D xx, Justina

• DaisyQueen July 11th, 2012 8:11 PM

SAN FRANSISCO. Who else is going? Let’s be friends.

• illonablyton July 15th, 2012 5:45 AM

I wish Rookie will someday do an international road (air) trip and come to South Africa…

• sethy July 31st, 2012 3:47 AM

YOU GUYS WERE IN IOWA CITY?!?!?!?! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

How did I not know this?

*tear*