Everything else

Road Trip Diary: Week Three

Sisters, dogs, and doughnuts.

I guess we’re on week three now! Last Friday, we met up with readers in Salt Lake City, Utah, at the beautiful Gilgal Sculpture Garden to sit and talk about loving Martha Stewart ironically, and make banners, and steal one another’s souls. (One of these is a joke.) (We actually love Martha Stewart non-ironically.)

There were so many pairs of SISTERS at SLC, too, which was really sweet.

Anna’s banner said “WAKE UP YOU’RE NOT COOL,” as an homage to something she herself said to a cat we saw sleeping in a storefront window in Philly. I don’t know.

We got to Boise, Idaho, and started our next day with a pleasant bike ride along a river. All of us have been sick at some point on this trip, and it finally hit me to the point where I couldn’t go to the zine-making meet-up at Urban Outfitters that afternoon. But the meet-up looked super fun and zine-making-y and was set up all cute:

And I woke up to a very nice get-well card–nay, an EPIC NOVEL–from Anna:

That night, Anna, Hazel, and I went back to the river to talk and be deep or something and then marveled at the punny possibilities of discussing BOYS in BOISE. I’ll give you a moment to process that. Now that you’ve adjusted to this new worldview that surely shattered your previous one…

Our next meet-up was in Seattle, so on the drive up we took a slight detour to the spots in Washington where various parts of Twin Peaks were filmed. Unfortunately it wasn’t gray and rainy like a day in tribute to the show ought to be, but it was still crazy gorgeous, and we enjoyed playing the soundtrack in the car and crying dramatically. The original diner from the show burned down and the one they rebuilt just felt like a normal meh diner with a bunch of Twin Peaks photos on a wall in the back, but just seeing this Bob-esque guy from behind was rewarding enough:

The next day, we were lucky to host crown-making and sunglasses-decorating (THE KEY: gluing shit on other shit) at the Vera Project, an awesome venue at the Seattle Center for cool stuff, like all-ages shows and gluing shit on other shit. This group was so good at it! We ran into a bunch of Rookie friends, too, like Audrey, Anna, and Osa from November’s Friend Crush:

And Astrorice, of the famous video of a 13-year-old talking about slut-shaming and immediately defeating all WUT DUZ SHE NO SHE’S ONLY 13 arguments, and her friend:

AND our own Chrissie:

AAAAAAAAND the obligatory family photo, during the taking of which someone in one of the back rows shouted, “YOLO”:

We only had four glue guns, but the long line forced people to socialize. One thing they all already had in common was crazy good style. The whole thing turned me into a mom who says things like, “You girls are so creative!” and “Go make friends!” Y’all are always wondering where the other Rookie readers where you live are and watching people figure it out is so fun.

Seattle readers also brought us nice goodies for the mutant-dollhouse-shrine-teenage-bedroom installation we are putting together in Los Angeles once we get there next week, including an engraved watermelon, a star-shaped box with Leonardo DiCaprio’s face inside, and this shiny bumper sticker:

I think my favorite thing ever was getting these two CDs from identical twins, Lena and Nina. Lena’s was a compilation of her favorite Taylor Swift songs with three glitter-adorned pages explaining why she chose each one. Nina’s was a mix of songs by Seattle bands with three casually scrawled notebook pages of “badass” and “rad” descriptions. I was just so delighted that they are identical twins who are so different but best friends and both read Rookie and ALIKE BUT DIFFERENT LIKE TIA AND TAMERA BUT NOT LIKE THEIR WEIRD NEW BABIES SHOW MORE LIKE SISTER, SISTER AND AWWWW.

One reader, Eryn, traveled with her mom for five hours from Victoria in British Columbia to make it to the event, so we kidnapped her and brought her to a delicious home-cooked dinner that was generously made by Dylan’s mom Janet. Janet was just as awesome as you would expect the mom of someone so awesome to be. And it was nice being in a real home with the feeling of family and love that is generally lost at diners and hotels. She showed us Dylan’s baby pictures, and we all marveled at how cute she was and rad she is (before delving into some VICIOUS GOSSIP and doing a ritual burning of and laughing at the baby pics).

Eryn is the cute daisy one third from the left, Janet is the beautiful one second from the right.

Tuesday morning, we caught a good hotel breakfast viewing of The Wiggles, loaded the van, and headed for VOODOO DOUGHNUT in Portland, Oregon. They were the best doughnuts I have ever had in my life, and probably will ever have, so I should just die now. This is my ghost who is writing currently. Hello.

Yes, that is a doughnut covered in Froot Loops. In the bottom right corner, we have the ROOKIE COOKIE, a pink-frosted, Oreo-encrusted shenanigan they named and sold after us for that one day.

Our logo, plus frosting modeled after Anaheed's manicure.

Please bring your attention to this group shot of happily fed people in front of the gold doughnut glitter wall. Anaheed pressured me into singing a Norwegian troll lullaby my mom sings, but they all cooperatively joined in when I asked. This way, it was less awkward for one person (me), but more awkward for 30 people! If I have to go down, I’m bringing you all with me.

We loved Dylan’s mom Janet so much that we couldn’t bear to stay anywhere else on our next stop but with another mom named Janet. Olivia’s boyfriend, Cooper, invited us to stay at his family’s farm, and he, his mom, Jan, and his brother Rory were such a pleasant bunch. So were their goats, horses, dogs, and hot dogs.

Zuppa, one of three adorable dogs.

Marty, Barry, Dennis, Jay, and Curtis; five of many adorable hot dogs I named myself.

Here is Olivia, being cute in a smiley-face jumper, and being IN AWE of TECHNOLOGY.

Olivia and Cooper generously set up a little fairy area for us, complete with old Girl Scout books and lots of comics:

And we puffy-painted Olivia’s car, as she requires all passengers to do:

There had been an error on our part in organizing the second location we’d meet at after Voodoo, and it left a few readers stranded. (We suck.) In an attempt to make up for it, we met them the next day at Powell’s Books to look at books and magazines and Japanese stickers and sassy magnets. Other Portland activities included vintage shopping, taking pictures with Cooper’s family’s horses, and CHANGING LIVES (the horses’ lives). The next morning we headed for California, and finally got to play some Beach Boys in the car. We stopped at a Redwood forest to appreesh some nature and take creepy photos.

In the middle of the drive, Anaheed saw on her phone that Seventeen magazine now has a feature called “Ask an A-Lister,” in which famous dudes answer questions from readers about love and relationships. Because the feature started in May, after the video Jon Hamm did for our Ask a Grown Man had gotten attention, and because the name is so shamelessly close, I can’t help thinking that they got the idea from us. I’m flattered that they thought a feature from an independent publication that’s been around for less than a year and is edited by a teenager was good enough to copy for their own, more widely read publication. But if they’re going to copy something Rookie does, it would be really nice if it was something like not writing articles about how to improve your body before going back to school, or how to improve your body before going to the beach, or how to improve your personality before talking to a boy, because obviously you are straight and obviously that is an important skill and obviously you’re doing it wrong. I’m glad that petition to ban their use of Photoshop went around, but I don’t think their response really meant anything (though the visual that revealed all the ways Photoshop is used to make beige curtains look like blue curtains was absolutely eye-opening). I’m not saying Rookie is saving the world or that we don’t also have room for improvement. But if Seventeen is already looking to us for ideas on stuff to publish that girls like, I know that people like it when you don’t tell them how to fix themselves, or you don’t make a very public declaration of “body peace” that doesn’t mean much in the same publication that tells you to eat granola when you’re in the mood for a big-ass cookie.

Anyway, after the Redwoods, we drove into the eerie, gray town of Eureka.

We met readers for ice cream and then did some vintage shopping at Shipwreck! and Little Shop of Hers. It was nice to have a small group in a small town and just talk and shop and eat (and pray and love). We heard all about how small and creepy it is here, which only made it more delightful and intriguing for us! Here we are, shoppin’ and posin’:

CliffNotes version: our readers continue to be the best, Redwoods are tall, I finally understand how they get those beige curtains in magazines to look so blue, sisters are sweet, so are moms named Jan, and WE LOVE DOUGHNUTS. ♦

• Harley July 13th, 2012 7:11 PM

You are having so much fun, I’m glad the road trip is going well even if you got sick at one point!

• mayaautumn July 13th, 2012 7:27 PM

yessss! those nails (which inspired the doughnuts) inspired me to have glittery lightning nails painted yesterday! i took lots of pictures of them on my instagram, @maya_autumn, so thankyou for that:)
    also i keep having dreams that I’m on the rookie road trip (should i be seeking maedical advice????) and then i wake up and I’m not there:’( meh. looks like so much fun!

• darksideoftherainbow July 13th, 2012 7:29 PM

i love love LOVE the idea of a group of girls hanging out and stealing each other’s souls. it’s like the ultimate definition of teenage friendships.

that picture with the redwoods is cray beautiful. i’ve heard of redwoods being tall but damn. DAMN. that’s a really gorgeous pic. that you guys are wearing dresses in the pic makes it more witch-y and unreal.

lastly, i couldn’t make it to the bk,ny meet up so i’m really loving these diaries. it’s not the exact same as being there but it’s pretty effing good.

LOVE.

• GlitterKitty July 13th, 2012 7:32 PM

That house is soooo creepy. I think you guys should have taken pictures leaning out the windows in a “please save me from this house of horrors” fashion. Logistically that may have been impossible but hilarious none the less.

• whatnaomiloves July 13th, 2012 7:39 PM

UHHHHHHH I want to be there with you all! (And eat a doughnut)

• fdfdssgf July 13th, 2012 8:01 PM

i take all the credit for being the kid who screamed yolo (nice try, but it was the front row). also I LIKE THE TIA & TAMERA SHOW (style channel is my crack; where else am i gonna watch sex & the city??).

-nina no hair

• Maddy July 13th, 2012 8:30 PM

Yolo kid! That’s cool. :)

• Kathryn July 13th, 2012 8:08 PM

I had a dream last night that I was on the road trip, so…….. now you know how obsessive I am with Rookie. @_@

• go.outside July 13th, 2012 8:10 PM

When are you guys gonna announce the los angeles meet-up info? So excited so excited for this

• lylsoy July 13th, 2012 8:10 PM

I am so jealous of you guys..! IT ALL LOOKS SO GOOD!
    A Shout-Out to Melbourne, Australia Rookie-readers!! I need some girls for a photoshoot! if ur interested, leave a comment on my blog

• Shola July 13th, 2012 8:13 PM

in honor of the missed portland connection (church of elvis dwellers) would you post a picture of us eagerly waiting?? https://twitter.com/SholaLawson/status/222905060915544065/photo/1/large

• sunmoonandstars July 13th, 2012 8:14 PM

I cant wait for them to come to los angeles!!!! im going to even if I have to run away for a day and take five thousand buses from san diego to los angeles!!! tavi is so inspiring to accomplish all of this when shes not even 18 even though shes only a year older than me I really look up to her c:

• Erykaneisha July 13th, 2012 8:16 PM

This all sounds wonderful! And the doughnuts look incredible! And the moms & Rookie readers & everything!
    And about the Seventeen thing, I didn’t know about that new column they have. I don’t read their stuff (& practically any other magazine/media that condones lethal beauty).
    I’d say that if they want to pick up something from Rookie, they ought to take the essence of Rookie & encourage those same ideals into young girls. They have so much power… if only it wasn’t manipulated to be damaging & redundant.

• Maddy July 13th, 2012 8:28 PM

I really want to go to Voodoo doughnuts. SO MUCH SUGAR. Anyways, that’s such bull with Seventeen. Copying you guys, first off, with a shameless name, and also their “response”(!). Just to dissipate the tension and publicity they publish something saying they won’t change their face shape (yeah, so?) but not actually agreeing to the petition. “Wow, so that girl looks naturally perfect and all you had to do was help her artfully flung hair be more perfect?” humph

Aha Rookie is also mentioned in that Jezebel link! You did that on purpose!

• tellyawhat July 13th, 2012 8:42 PM

For the first time a REAL reason to go to Portland: beautiful sparkly junk-foodie doughnuts (and hoping to run into Kyle MacLachlan the Mayor of Portlandia). Those look AMAZING.

• sunmoonandstars July 13th, 2012 8:49 PM

wow and to think just got a subscription to seventeen >:| im just gonna shoot a unicorn

• Tyknos93 July 13th, 2012 9:09 PM

Oh Sister Sister was my cup ‘o’ freakin tea, back when Disney was slightly cooler.

That 17 magazine thing legit sucks. There should be a Rookie article on swagger jackers and people who unabashedly steal your cool ideas. I used the word swagger O_O.

• TheAwesomePossum July 16th, 2012 10:53 PM

I feel your pain.

• Eryn July 13th, 2012 9:28 PM

I can’t believe I’m on Rookie! Feel free to kidnap me aaannnytime. Meeting you guys was so amazing! Rookie has meant so much to me and your road trip just makes everything so much more tangible. I love you guys and all that you do for teens! If ALL we had were publications like Seventeen that feature unrealistic, airbrushed girls and lack any sense of creativity and originality, where would we be? Thank you guys so much. So so so much! Though I wish more popular publications could be more honest with what they feature, the world of adolescents is greatly improved by the work of people like all of you!

• Eryn July 14th, 2012 12:54 AM

oh and also, I think we only traveled four hours ;)

• stefx July 13th, 2012 9:36 PM

i love love love you guys. looks like the road trip is going splendidly! wish you’d come to miami, someday<3

-stef

• Arden July 13th, 2012 10:31 PM

I think it would be really cool if you guys made a Friday Playlist of the music you listened to on the road trip, or of music Rookie readers shared with you along the way!

• Mags July 13th, 2012 11:22 PM

God, I hope the editors at Seventeen read this. You go, Tavi!

• attackeddd July 13th, 2012 11:28 PM

ok hi I’m going to the la meetup alone and I’m low-key scared to go by myself cuz I’m afraid I’m gonna be awkward and stuff.

• Emilie July 14th, 2012 12:59 AM

GUUURRRLLL, here is your pep talk. You are already awesome (CLEARLY because you happen to read this particular online publication) also everyone feels awkward at some time and if they say otherwise well then they are POOPFACE LIARS!! So to bring it all together, you (awesome), are going to go to the rookie (awesome) meetup in LOS ANGELOS (awesome) where there will be a bounty (amount, not paper towel brand) of Rookie readers (awesome). So that is a mash-up of QUADRUPLE awesome and a seemingly limited vocabulary on my part! I was out of town when the chicago meetup occured so you go out and do crazy rookie shit for me! Have fun, and make awesome things (there’s that vocab again), and say hi people you dont know and ask them what their favorite movie is, even better, their favorite color. Bitches love colors!

• attackeddd July 14th, 2012 1:11 AM

omg hi this was a great peptalk thank you and i kind of realized writing this comment that I’m stupid and that most/all people reading rookie are super cool and hopefully not judgmental and i get to meet tavi and she’s amazing and yeah so thank you sweetheart you’re amazing. and yes bitches do love colors indeed.

• Anaheed July 14th, 2012 1:23 AM

My favorites are purple and peach.

• llamalina July 13th, 2012 11:32 PM

THIS LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH FUN AGHAFHGHH. i’m so sad that i can’t go when you guys visit san francisco. ): this should be something you guys do every year, because i so desperately want to meet cool feminist rookie girls who aren’t mean and like awesome things.

• thedoctordonna July 14th, 2012 12:27 AM

Has the itinerary for Rookie’s week in LA been revealed yet? Because these letters make me hella excited and all I want to do is start planning my timetables and lists.

• Anaheed July 14th, 2012 1:24 AM

Still figuring out one or two things, but I promise it’ll be done SO SOON.

• Adrienne July 14th, 2012 1:00 AM

You guys are going to be in SF tomorrow, and there is a 95% chance I won’t be there!! I am so bummed. :((((( Will you guys please do another road trip next year?

• kendallakwia July 14th, 2012 1:07 AM

YAY! Miranda’s moist watermelon got a mention. Loved the Seattle meetup!

• Dylan July 14th, 2012 1:36 AM

My mom is holding Tavi’s waist like they’re a prom couple <3

• Mom July 18th, 2012 12:55 PM

More like a daughter figure my dear just like I’d put my arm around YOU. I just adore all the Rookie girlz. was so happy to be their Mom for an evening!

• Sputnick July 14th, 2012 2:35 AM

After I got home from the bejeweling of crowns, I went into week-long creativity mode. My dreams are still filled with flower rainbow dancing kitten shiny glitter Rookie things. Also, I soul-bonded with a little girl at my library who wears cat ears and told me she liked my doll house piano crown. life+shinythings=prettydamngood

• handbehindthepen July 14th, 2012 2:48 AM

Isn’t “Ask a Grown Man” a reference to Sassy? Because I remember reading that they had a column in which famous musicians or actors answered readers’ questions about relationships or life.

• ivoire July 14th, 2012 3:56 AM

fist pumping so hard at the part about seventeen that i probably injured something but oh well it was worth it.

• adolescentobesity July 14th, 2012 4:32 AM

Damnit!
    I live in Victoria and really wanted to come, but didnt have a way down! Eryn! you are awesome and we should be friends.

I am so happy this is as amazing as it sounds. You folk are great.

• Adelie July 14th, 2012 5:32 AM

So…. WHEN DOES ROOKIE’S WORLD TOUR START?!

• Afra July 14th, 2012 5:49 AM

You schould really really do a European version of this trip! :( YAY for a EUROtrip!! xx

• Susann July 14th, 2012 7:03 AM

Your road trip looks most amazing! Awesome photos!

Fashion in Pepperland

• Pearl July 14th, 2012 7:06 AM

Omg! I wish I could’ve been there too. I’ve been stalking your tumblr for updates on the Rookie Roadtrip like every single day. Just wish you did an international tour of sorts. *sigh*

• moonflower July 14th, 2012 7:08 AM

This actually made me feel a bit emotional, it’s just amazing, it’s the sort of trip I would dream of :’(

Its good to see you guys having such an awesome time though and making new friends. Those doughnuts have inspired me to change my career plans..

• Lucille July 14th, 2012 8:47 AM

Thank you tons for sharing it with us!Love it!

• TinaBallerina July 14th, 2012 1:40 PM

This all looks so awesome. Shame you’re not in any European cities yet.. :(

Tavi, that Norwegian troll-lullaby you’re talking about, I think I know it. “Når trollmor har lagt sine elleve små troll”??

I live in Norway, but currently enjoying rainy weather in Copenhagen (yay!!)

Again, DIS STUFF LOOKS AWEZUUUM!!

• cherrycola27 July 14th, 2012 1:46 PM

This looks amazing! I wish I could go to one of the stops, but I keep missing you guys! I’m in Seattle now, and I just left LA.
    I went to North Bend (Twin Peaks) last summer, and will probably go again in a few days. I have a picture in front of that wall! :)

• anindieeducation July 14th, 2012 3:58 PM

Tavi…at the risk of sounding pathetic…YOU GO GIRL. Seventeen suck I mean who actually stops at a cup of pasta???? I’m doing an extended essay for college on magazines’ influence and impact on body image…does anyone have any opinions/suggestions???

anindieeducation.blogspot.co.uk

• missmadness July 17th, 2012 2:42 PM

I actually wrote a 14 pg paper on this. If you want me to email you my works cited (references list, basically) lemme know.

• maddzwx July 14th, 2012 4:39 PM

Yay! I will be at the Big Sur meetup tomorrow (though in my opinion you guys shoulda also stopped in Santa Cruz-there are great book and record stores and DELICIOUS PIZZA there), and I am so excited but also a bit nervous! I had this amazing outfit picked out which I accidentally left in a bag at my father’s house, and now I imagine everyone else will have perfect, weird clothing and I will be in jeans, chucks, a tee shirt, and a hoodie. Oh well. Who else will be there tomorrow? If I arrive a bit early because I have to get there at a time that works for my ride, how can I tell the Rookies from the normal library-goers? IMPORTANT QUESTIONS!

• purplebabaushka July 14th, 2012 5:14 PM

ARGHH I wish I could have gone!

• isobele July 14th, 2012 6:06 PM

Haha, seventeen magazine got owned! Did anyone else see that a few weeks ago asos had a feature where it picked out clothes so you could look like either Lux Lisbon or Tavi? CLEARLY coppied from rookie, and also slightly strange since Tavi was the only non fictional character on the list…

• StinaStarStina July 14th, 2012 6:27 PM

Hi ladies!

wondering if you have ANY new england stops planned as of yet? and though I am admittedly not a ‘teen’ (by far!) I may recommend that you stop in Jamaica Plain MA, possibly meet up at JP Licks, possibly do some shopping at Boomerangs, and generally take in the intense hipster vibezz
    either that or cambridge (duh) and there’s also a JP licks there (don’t know why that strikes me as a spot you guys would like) and LOTS of amazing shops between Kendall square, Central Square and Harvard Square, you could easily spend at least 2 days exploring…
    you’d have to advertise this to local teens though, I’m sure you have many readers in MA, I’d be happy to help host you or find you a place, but I don’t know too many teenagers…

you just NEED to come to new england! it’s a necessity!

• Anaheed July 15th, 2012 2:46 AM

We’re almost done with our road trip, unfortunately, but we’ll keep this all in mind for NEXT TIME MUAHAHA

• meghang July 17th, 2012 4:56 PM

hey!! not sure if you’ll see this or not but a boston rookie meetup has been planned for october – we’re making crowns and eating good food (obviously haha) and going to the garment district!
      for anyone in the ne area, there’s a fb event: http://www.facebook.com/events/168366483288057/

• meghang July 17th, 2012 5:02 PM

also if the event link could maybe get posted to rookie’s website or tumblr or something, it would be awesome.

• mar9ar3t July 24th, 2012 5:11 PM

YAY FOR NEW ENGLAND ROOKIES!!!

• jcurvezz July 14th, 2012 7:38 PM

Are there going to be more rookie meet-ups?

• Caoimhe C. July 14th, 2012 7:57 PM

These updates make me so jealous, don’t suppose Dublin, Ireland’s on your itinerary?

• EmilyB July 14th, 2012 8:13 PM

Unfortunatley I am in England, But being half American I know a girl named Justina who met Tavi today!

She got me Tavis autograph and i am officially forever grateful, I mean purrleese the only thing that could make me happier would be if Tavi came to England.
    -Emily

• Violet July 15th, 2012 5:22 AM

Hello Rookies,
    It’s so awesome to see the faces of fellow Rookie readers – I almost have tears in my eyes. (They are also tears of rage because you guys aren’t showing up in Paris, and even if you did I’m probably too old to attend, but anyway.)

Now that it’s 3 weeks into the road trip I just felt like sharing what your awesomeness did to my vision of Urban Outfitters as a brand. Just so you know, until now I’ve kind of refrained myself from shopping there, as their sheer size and delocalized production already cast a very suspicious vibe on the whole thing. But they are so good at visual merchandizing that I found myself hanging out in the stores anyway.
    SOOOOO. While reading the road trip diaries, learning about the meetups in UO stores, the Petra photoshoot, etc., I had the scary realization that I WAS in fact starting to think (insert dreamy voice with reverb) “huh. UO isn’t that bad afterall. look, they even have some nice people in the stores who seem to genuinely care about Rookie. hum. had I missed the fact that all along their style was pretty much already similar to Rookie’s? were they awesome all along and I hadn’t paid attention? should I start going back to a store and actually BUYING clothes there…?”
    THEN i went back and read all the great comments and concerns from readers about the Rick Santorum thing, the design stealing, etc. (which I didn’t know about). And in horror I decided to write this comment to express how much, despite all my efforts to remain objective, the Rookie Road Trip IS ACTUALLY WORKING ITS MAGIC INTO MY MIND, AND SADLY THIS MAGIC IS…

• Violet July 15th, 2012 5:27 AM

(continuation of previous comment)
      … SADLY THIS MAGIC IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY URBAN OUTFITTERS EVEN IN MY MIND

which proves (if I generalize my case to the entire universe) that these communication campaigns are REALLY, REALLY POWERFUL and influence your opinion despite rational efforts. Therefore I wouldn’t be surprised if the association with Rookie did in fact bring UO tons of new customers and new money.

Next year, please please please start a kickstarter (or any crowdsourced funding you want). I’ll give you some of my euros (they convert into more dollars). Anything to not go back to this slow corporate hypnotizing.

But once again: you guys are awesome. I love Rookie mag and I’ll forgive you, most probably.

Love,
      V

• Anaheed July 15th, 2012 12:57 PM

We would never ask our readers to fund our little summer vacation and essentially pay us to come visit them. So, Kickstarter is out of the question. (Also, it’s unlikely we’d raise enough money that way to even cover liability insurance for this trip, not to mention gas/food/lodging.)

• Violet July 15th, 2012 3:02 PM

Oh, I hadn’t seen it that way at all.

To me the Road Trip is not you guys’ vacation, but more of a cool, participatory project (same thing as when a group of artists decide they are going to build a musical boat somewhere on the Mississipi, etc.).
          I understand that the costs might be to high (no idea how much it amounts to), but as a principle I’d have no problem, as a reader, to help fund something I believe in and respect.

I wonder what the alternative would be.

Love,
          V

• Anaheed July 16th, 2012 1:27 PM

You girls don’t need us to organize meetups — some people are doing it on their own, which we LOVE to hear about and we encourage! So it seems really unseemly to say “and if you cough up $20 we will make an appearance!” You know? Meet up on your own; have clothing swaps, take over movie theaters, make things. And when we can get a company to give us $ we’ll do more road trips and other events, but not on your dime.

• falkor4eva July 16th, 2012 1:44 AM

Hi Violet! I totally agree with you about crowd funding, we would all/I would be paying for something that I wanted to help create! The prizes would be awesome, it would be entirely participatory, and it would have been created by everyone who wants to be completely involved! I think crowdfunding could be really, really be beneficial for everyone involved.

• Tavi July 16th, 2012 1:48 AM

Girls can do these meet-ups on their own, and we’re psyched to see them doing them on their own — I would feel awful asking people to pay for our food, gas, lodging, insurance, etc. just so we can be at an event they could organize for free themselves!

• elise July 15th, 2012 2:28 PM

After a quick google of “Seventeen,” I discovered that there is a live facebook and twitter chat with Ann Shoket, editor-in-chief of the magazine.

I encourage all Rookies to tweet/message/share this article during the live chat. The point isn’t maliciousness, but rather to raise awareness. Seventeen should give credit where credit is due, and maybe some Seventeen readers will see this and realize the value of Rookie, compared to publications like Seventeen.

I don’t know how many people read these comments, so maybe Rookie can post something about this live chat? It’s an opportunity we could easily use as a platform; less us-versus-them, more unity-of-womanhood.

Just sayin’

• Emmaline July 15th, 2012 3:17 PM

I was there! In Portland, I mean, on vacation. I was the one in the purple dress who accidentally creeped Anna out through the window. Right, sorry about that.

• SpencerBowie July 16th, 2012 12:38 AM

I seriously lol’d at “…and eat, (and pray and love).”

• Pixie July 16th, 2012 8:44 AM

I love that!

• Cassidy A. July 16th, 2012 11:13 AM

Thanks for opening my eyes to the whole 17 fandago! I want to barf now whenever I see my stack of 17 magazines, they are tainted with betrayal and bad photoshopping

P.S PLEASE COME TO CANADA EAST COAST NEXT TIME, WE <3 YOU HERE

• stuckinadaydream July 16th, 2012 6:13 PM

Cannot wait until LA!

• breeTHEg July 16th, 2012 7:36 PM

You guys look like you’re having so much fun!!! IF YOU DO THIS NEXT YEAR PRETTY PLEASE COME TO DC! PLEASE!!!!! :D

• stuckinadaydream July 16th, 2012 10:37 PM

Will it be lame if I got to the next one by myself? lol

• cocolarue July 16th, 2012 11:24 PM

I’m a little disappointed. I was at the Portland meetup and I definitely didn’t hear about the Powell’s thing. I totally would have gone. I feel like I sort of missed the Voodoo boat a little because I ended up waiting in the damn line so long, my friend and I barely got in the group shot and then we were off to the waterfront and we kept getting weirdly blocked out of the convo circles. I also managed to not be even in the periphery of any other pictures except the group. And then I ended up having to leave a little early to feed the parking meter. Long story short, I was mostly happy and I was super excited you guys came out, but I felt a little meh and I totes would have gone to the second meet up, had I known. But anyway I know you were all trying and it doesn’t always work out. Can’t win em all.

poo.

the end.

• Anaheed July 17th, 2012 7:47 AM

The 2nd meetup was a totally last-minute casual thing for the girls who went to the Church of Elvis the first day (we didn’t make it to the CoE). I’m sorry you didn’t have a good time, though — there were so many people that it was impossible for us to talk to everyone as much as we would have liked.

• cocolarue July 17th, 2012 10:35 PM

I just want to clarify that I didn’t have a bad time or anything. I was a little frustrated that I didn’t end up taking public transportation, because that would have majorly simplified things, but that’s not your fault, obviously! As far as not being able to fully participate in social timez, it wasn’t that you guys weren’t trying to include us or anything. Other girls just kept like sitting directly in front of us like we were ghosts. Which was a little weird, but whatevs. Maybe I have undiscovered ghosting superpowers. I don’t mean to sound whiny or anything. I really appreciate that you guys came out to see everyone! I’m still glad I went and overall I had a good time <3

• cocolarue July 18th, 2012 12:06 AM

I just wanted to clarify that I didn’t have a bad time or anything. I was a bit frustrated that I didn’t end up just taking public transportation, because that would have greatly simplified things, but obviously that is not your fault! As far as social timez, it wasn’t that I felt like you guys weren’t trying to include everyone. Other girls just kept sitting directly in front of us like we were ghosts or something. Maybe I have undiscovered ghosting superpowers or something! Anyway, I think everyone was just eager to chat and experience and I don’t begrudge them that. It was a little suckish that we couldn’t see/hear all that great but whatevs. I did sneak in a picture with Tavi and I got to pass on my shrine donation. Sorry if I sounded whiny earlier. I do really appreciate that you guys came out and met everyone.

and I’m glad that I went <3

• cocolarue July 18th, 2012 5:07 PM

Whoooaokay that’s a lot of my opinions.

• Samtheham July 17th, 2012 4:13 AM

Come to Texas soon :@@@ :(

• maddzwx July 17th, 2012 3:07 PM

Hey rookies! I was at the Big Sur meetup and I would love to organize a Facebook group for the awesome, albeit small, group of people who were there. I checked FB and no one had started one, so I was thinking about starting one, except I do not have a Facebook account, but I would be happy to make one for the purpose of meetups with the fellow rookies in the area, given that they would actually be interested. If anyone who was at the Big Sur meetup sees this, could you please reply to tell me if you would be interested? Could the message maybe be passed along on the Rookie FB page?

• Anaheed July 17th, 2012 3:23 PM

Hi! Why don’t you start the group, then we can post a link to it. Then if no one joins (which seems unlikely) you can delete it?

• indigosunday July 17th, 2012 4:30 PM

This is a bit random, and I doubt anybody will get it but is there any Rookie gal who lives in Edmonton, Alberta?

• Mom July 18th, 2012 1:49 PM

Tavi Rookie is REALLY modern and current in the most authentic and refreshing way. Seventeen is so YESTERDAY. Rookie: LEADER Seventeen: FOLLOWER

• Dylan July 18th, 2012 2:43 PM

Mom, you should really start using your first name on comments. Mom could be ANYONE

• Mom July 19th, 2012 8:48 PM

okay this is DYLAN’s Mom Janet

• Lillypod July 19th, 2012 5:47 AM

seventeen mag sux

• hollyholly July 23rd, 2012 4:10 PM

Here is an email I just sent Seventeen at mail@seventeen.com. Feel free to use!

Hi Seventeen! Nice job totally copying Rookie Magazine’s “Ask a Grown Man” and slightly changing the wording to “Ask an A-Lister.” I know copying is par for the course in online “journalism” – one has to look no further than the recent Jonah Lehrer scandal for proof – but an established, well-known mag/site unabashedly ripping off a barely one-year-old, independent site is JUST PLAIN SHITTY. I hope you poop your pants and then your cat rubs the poop all over your face in your sleep tonight.

Sincerely,
    Holly
    A Rookie fan who formerly had no strong feelings about Seventeen and now actively despises you

• Anaheed August 1st, 2012 4:30 AM

I just wanna say that “I hope you poop your pants and then your cat rubs the poop all over your face in your sleep tonight” is the best thing I have ever heard and I am totally stealing it from you.