Dear Diary

July 25, 2012

Daydreams versus real life.

Katherine

At this point in my summer, the quality of my days is dictated by what’s in the fridge, what’s on TV, what I’m reading, and how much money I have to spend on ice cream and french fries. Bonus points for hanging out with friends. By those standards, I’ve had an excellent week. The ice cream and fries were plentiful, iCarly was on a lot, and I just finished Dear Diary by Lesley Arfin. It made me wish I’d been keeping a diary since the fifth grade, and also that I’d led a slightly more exciting youth. What was I doing, studying so much? Why were band and theater my main priorities? I should have been going out at night and making out with everyone. It’s all so obvious to me now.

ALSO ALSO ALSO, my BFF came back to town after spending a summer semester in Louisiana. We went to the pool and talked about this butt-face guy she had a thing with. He SUCKS and deserves to eat poo for breakfast every morning for the rest of forever. If you think you see him, tell him this. If he is carrying an ice cream cone when you see him, take it from him, taste it, and THROW IT ON THE GROUND. Bonus points if you throw it into some sand or dog poo.

When all of these teenagers kept on showing up at the pool, we left and went to Wendy’s to get frosties and fries, and took them back to my house. After that, she left to go see a play. It always sucks when you stop hanging out with people, because you have to come down from the high of being with them. Somebody once told me that it was always better to leave any sort of gathering while you were still having a good time so that you would go out on a high note, but I basically don’t ever do that unless I have to. I’m just a girl chasing a social high, ya know. JK, I just stay inside all day and try to get out of mowing the lawn.

Of course, sitting around and refusing to mow the lawn makes me vulnerable to all sorts of criticism. I’m getting annoyed with how my brother keeps telling me that I have to get out of the house every day, as if he’s better than me because he works at a sandwich shop. It sucks when someone is always telling you how to spend your free time. When he sees me on my computer, he comments on how all I do is sit at my computer all day. When he walked in on me reading once, he said, “At least you’re absorbing something.” He is also being really bratty about my sleeping schedule (staying up as late as 6 AM; sleeping in till 2 PM) when that’s exactly what he does when he doesn’t have to work.

But as much as I love fries and pleasure reading and pool time with my BFF and staying up and sleeping late, I do wish my summer had more of a plot. When you’re at school, you’re forced to interact with a bunch of kids and teachers and you have tons of things to keep you busy. There’s a thrust to things; you’re trying to make good grades while also trying to land a part in a play and keep some girl from writing fabricated posts about you on her Facebook wall. The plot is sorta hellish, but at least it’s interesting. I’d rather be exhausted and angry at the world but BUSY than stuck in my room with nothing to do but be pensive. However, since there’s ice cream involved, I guess I’m fine being pensive a little longer. Soon enough it’ll be back to school and back to being angry at the world. ♦

1 2 3 4 5

• isobele July 25th, 2012 7:12 PM

Katherine you just summed up how I feel most of the time. I always overthink everything, and worry what other people will think or say if I do something

• Abby July 25th, 2012 7:12 PM

Katherine, I’m pretty sure you and I are the same person. Just saying ha.

• NotReallyChristian July 25th, 2012 7:16 PM

Korbut Flip :) love it!

• AlisonR July 25th, 2012 7:45 PM

you are who you want to be, just gotta unwrap it

• mohgan July 25th, 2012 7:55 PM

Naomi, I’m like the same way I’m so free and carefree at home or with friends but throw me out with a lot of random people in a big crowd I feel so uneasy. Katherine my brother does the same thing annoying right, if it’s wrong to live your summer the way you like, I don’t want to be right lool.

inside-adeoti.blospot.com

• ClaraMaurer September 9th, 2012 12:01 PM

Naomi I´m totally with you , can you live under my bed with Tavi ?

• lylsoy July 25th, 2012 10:18 PM

I love palm trees, too!
    My week ;D http://gossipgonzesse.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/my-week-in-pictures.html

• bookworm123 July 25th, 2012 10:26 PM

Katherine, let me Internet hug you. *hugs* Now let me say that you must live under my bed along with Tavi, because was just saying the same thing to my mom! I could use a little more forced social-ness, and a little more drama, even if it’s other people’s. School is good for these things. And that’s why there are so many teenage dramas about high school–the social part is at least mildly interesting.

• Emmie July 25th, 2012 11:22 PM

Ruby- I’m from VT! it really is the best state ever. I hope you’re having a great summer here))

• Elizabete July 26th, 2012 3:10 AM

Naomi, i can totally relate to you!
    When i’m home with my mom i am really witty, sarcastic and we laugh all day long ( my mom is cool, okay? ), but when i’m with someone else i just can not say anything except for “hi, i have a pug dog. She’s cute”. When i leave that place suddenly i get ideas for thousands of hilarious things i could have said!

• LeatherStuddedFae July 26th, 2012 8:18 AM

Gah, Naomi, I feel you! ;’[

Every time I’m with my close friends and family, I’m pretty confident, weird and funny then once I’m in a group of people I don’t know, everything I do is so awkward for all of a sudden. -.-” I think I’m a better person in my head.

And Katherine, I just wish we could spend our summer together. :)) Why can’t my summer have a romantic plot to it just like the young adult novels I’ve read for the past few weeks.

My mom thinks I’ve been doing nothing but hibernate in my cave(er, room). Actually I just craft, write and read books while she’s away. I think that’s pretty productive! -.-

stylestuddedfairy.blogspot.com

• wishfulwanderer July 26th, 2012 12:08 PM

ahh Naomi, I feel you.. you pretty much explained EXACTLY how I feel. Sometimes I blame myself though, for feeling lost, because it makes me feel like I’m a poser or something. I’m not always 100% the same kind of jokingly cynical, relatively funny, sort of strange person I am around my closest friends when I’m with people I’m just meeting. I don’t know how to feel about feeling like I’m not myself when I’m with new people… it makes me dread being in situations with a lot of people I don’t know well. That’s why I’m not looking forward to going to a new school where I don’t know anyone. I feel like if I start out, and I lose the self that I know, there won’t be anyone around to help me find it again. Does anyone else know where I’m coming from?

• Mayabett July 26th, 2012 1:07 PM

The link to the SNL Throw it on the Ground short made me so happy.

• girlswithsecrets July 26th, 2012 2:52 PM

Naomi–your entry reminds me so much of myself a year or two ago! I went through a period when I was very uncomfortable in my own skin, always feeling like I had to try to be someone else, and it gave me such bad anxiety. I always felt like, if i wasn’t flanked by close friends, I was awkward and uncool and miserable–and I tried so hard to appear the opposite that I exhausted myself. Luckily I got through it, and now I can confidently say that I DO dance crazily and comfortably in person, and am able to be confident on my own–I even enjoy it more than going out with friends, sometimes :) I’d discovered that A) what strangers think doesnt end up mattering, really, ever, and that B) the kind of people who I want to be friends with have much more respect/admiration for those who are just themselves, and finally that C) there’s something very interesting about being on your own in public and getting to people watch better and making brief weird little connections with people :)

• DE July 28th, 2012 8:53 PM

In all of these articles I’ve read I get such a sense of relief that There are other people like me out there somewhere. Thank you rookie

• GlitterKitty July 30th, 2012 12:17 PM

I love the camp posts so much. Every camp really is the same. At home I don’t really listen to Justin Bieber and generally get kind of annoyed by people. But at camp it’s like I’m a different person! I rock out to Bieber all day and the massive amount of socialization doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It’s weird.

• rhymeswithorange August 1st, 2012 8:57 PM

Naomi I swear I wrote the EXACT SAME LINES of the beginning of your entry in my diary last year.
    “When I’m by myself, I can be myself, and my life is coming, but I don’t know when!” -Empty Room, Arcade Fire
    I feel pretty okay now though. Some people you hit if off with, and some you don’t. I genuinely love people, so I think taking that chance to be yourself is worth it.