Dear Diary

July 18, 2012

The future and the past and the present.

Katherine

When my brother and I set out for the Pitchfork Music Festival this past Thursday, it felt like we’d never get to Chicago. There were hundreds of miles, one night in a hotel in Indiana, and a day of navigating the city’s trains ahead of us. The car ride was long and boring. Time was marked by changing CDs and making stops to go to the bathroom. We got stuck in traffic for forever, but it was all OK because Justin Bieber made this song called “Take You” that is sensational and charged with SEXUAL ENERGY.

After leaving our car at a SUPER SHADY LOT on Friday, we took a bus over to the airport and took the train into the part of the city where we were staying. When we walked out of the train station, it was storming. The thunder and lightning were a little too close for comfort, and it felt like the gods of the skies were shooting one million Super Soakers at us. After getting lost and dragging luggage through some serious puddles, we finally arrived at our hotel only to be told that we had to be 21 to check in. It was like the world was screwing with us. Eventually, the woman at the front desk let us have a room, because whatever law she said kept us from checking in was only if we had alcohol.

When we opened the door to our room, I ran in and did my ritualistic bed-flop. This time it was extra special and passionate, because I was so happy that we would have a place to stay. Shout out to my bed, it was comfy and downy.

We got to the festival, and it was SO FUN YOU GUYS. I ate a lot of greasy food and jammed out to cool tunes and all was good. There are a lot of butt-faces on the planet who think it’s super fun to push their way to the front, trample innocent peeps, and talk LOUDLY about their music tastes.

Iceage is all right, man. They’re pretty good at what they do, but what they do is average.” –This one guy

“No one cares.” –The world

Other than butt-faces, everything was peaches and cream. I went to my first three hip-hop shows, my favorite of which was Danny Brown. Every time he’d rap something really dirty, everyone would just cheer. It was hilarious and fantastic.

Grimes had these incredible backup dancers who looked like they were casting spells the whole show. She also has better growling game than Rick Ross. ALSO IMPORTANT is the lead singer of Iceage, who happens to be very talented and attractive. I regret getting marker on the heart-shaped pin that my brother made for me of Elias.

There were also SO MANY fashion choices. There was this one girl who had a beer belly and was wearing a bustier and a few nicotine patches, and I will do my best to emulate her from here on out. It looked like no one in the world could mess with her, but also like we could be friends. IDK. She looked confident and because of that, she looked awesome.

I just got back from seeing Vampire Weekend. I danced so much that my shins sweated (ew, sorry). It was AWESOME. Now I’m lying in bed. My feet are covered in blisters, I have a sunburn from the neck up, and I’m so hungry I would eat chewed gum off of the sidewalk if I had no other option. BUT I’M SO HAPPY. In fact, I love that I have blisters and that my skin is peeling off. It means that I experienced something. Right now, I’m just replaying everything I saw in my mind and SOAKING IT ALL IN, YO. It feels good. Like eating-a-slice-of-pizza-in-the-sunshine good. ♦

1 2 3 4 5

• Emmie July 18th, 2012 8:12 PM

Hey Ruby, I hope this year coming up is really good to you, because you seem brilliant to me.

• lylsoy July 18th, 2012 8:28 PM

Oh Dylan, I love this post! I love Hello Kitty, too, but on the other hand, I feel grown up, because I am not one of the drama-queen-teens. :* Electronic hugs to everyone who loves rookie

• Marguerite July 18th, 2012 8:34 PM

i spend too much time in my head
    i plan things out, to see how i think people will react and what will happen after that

but when the time comes, i get too scared to ask questions, buy things in case i will want to buy something more expensive later, i forget to live in the moment…
    and then once i miss my chance, i think about what would have happened if i didn’t overthink things

• Emmie July 21st, 2012 8:57 PM

it’s hard to overcome that shitty side of life sometimes. i hope you can. but i understand you, completely.

• Cerise July 18th, 2012 11:08 PM

Dylan, I know *exactly* what you’re talking about with the forced bonding thing. :P The school I went to in HS l basically thought that if we ever had some sort of event/retreat/trip, it was highly necessary for us to sit in circles and confess our deepest, darkest secrets and cry, never mind that we barely knew some of these people.

And then I met these girls who are absolutely wonderful, who I can act all weird and emotional and crazy with. Being so open was really foreign to me at first, but then it just became this really cool and lovely thing. I think the key difference there is that with my friends, it’s entirely natural and sincere. You just can’t force that kind of connection.

• Mayabett July 18th, 2012 11:56 PM

Katherine, I wish I were you right now. I’m dying to go to an outdoor music festival. I absolutely HATE that I missed Governor’s Ball here in NYC. (And the parentals certainly didn’t want to even consider sending me to Lollapalooza, even after I explained that it wasn’t as wacky as the name suggested.)

And Ruby, I feel the same way about school starting up again. I’m going to get a new ‘do, some cool new clothes…
    I kind of strongly dislike (i.e. hate) the majority of my grade (I have a tiny grade), but I’m more sure of myself this year, way more confident, and I may not like them but I feel awesome so whatever.

• anotheryouth July 19th, 2012 12:00 AM

I’ve read but never commented on rookie articles for a few months now. In fact, I had to make an account for the first time to comment here (which I was glad to do, if it makes me in some way more of the rookie family!) I just needed to say to Naomi, that was absolutely beautiful. I was having a really difficult night and somehow, just reading something that – though not directly related to my situation- felt as though it came from a perspective I can relate to so intensely did so much to make me feel less alone. Thank you for reading my mind and being here for me even though you had no idea you were!

• Naomi July 19th, 2012 5:52 PM

thank you thank you thank you. this is the best comment i have ever received!

• Narita July 19th, 2012 1:12 AM

Yo Ruby, I’ve got some high school advice for you.

- It’s better than middle school. Like, way better. Everyone suddenly thinks they’re grown-up, which they’re not, but at least they act a bit more sophisticated. (Beecuzz we’re high skool gurls now rite????)

- Just be yourself. Really, you’ll find other people that are out of the ordinary as well. I’m spending most of my time with the alternative/emo-ish kids because they’re most tolerant and play the best music and at least have more to tell than how their fingernail snipped and/or how expensive their UGGs and Blackberries were.

- I’ve heard that American high school isn’t too hard. In the Netherlands, we have several levels. Mine is the second hardest, but American high school is compared to the lowest level here. If I can handle the second hardest, you sure can handle the lowest.

- Just act ‘normal’. Don’t make a huge deal out of being different, just dress the way you want, listen to what you want et cetera but if someone talks to you, try to talk back. Make a joke or something, it doesn’t really matter but DON’T STAY SILENT. They’ll think you feel to good for them, even if you just don’t want to talk to anyone, it’s just teen logic idk.

- Don’t tell your whole story to everyone. My form teacher made that choice for me in freshman year, sent me out of the room and told everyone that my mom had died when I were 10, I had lived in foster families et cetera. Legally, she wasn’t even allowed to do that, but my class acted nice to me for three whole days and then told me to cry with my mom.

Good luck, it’ll be ok!

• Sea goddess July 19th, 2012 1:23 AM

Naomi I get youuuuu alot!!!! I have reached happiness in my own world, where only I exist, I learned not to expect anything from anyone, and well so far I do things merely for ME, and not to show others, but to prove to me that I can do as I wish. I really like drawing and writing, but lately I have been feeling trapped in this everyday habitat, alot of noise and unpeaceful, I hope to find a quiet place where I can watch the sun at about 6 or 7 pm!! with paper and pencil in hand!♥

• HarrietIsAPirate July 19th, 2012 5:23 AM

Naomi, I love your entry today so much, you write beautifully! I can definitely relate to the feeling of everything being distant and happiness being eternally elusive.

And Ruby, you are so awesome! I wish I’d been as cool and self-aware as you are when I was your age. I hope you are happy at high school, I’m sure you’ll do just fine!

• meels July 19th, 2012 6:33 AM

Katherine, im so jealous you got to go to pitchfork!! I watched the live streams on YouTube and it seemed so fun, im glad i could live vicariously through your post

• bird July 19th, 2012 3:24 PM

Naomi! I’m sorry to say this kind of randomly, but I know you are a fan… I saw Bruce Springsteen in Hyde Park and, at the end of the show, he introduced Paul McCartney and he came on and they dueted ‘I Saw Her Standing There’ and ‘Twist and Shout’!! Talk about happiness…

• Naomi July 19th, 2012 5:51 PM

bruce is always relevant! i am happy it made you happy

• Mom July 19th, 2012 3:48 PM

those rookie girls are YOUR PEOPLE dylan

• Aislinn July 19th, 2012 8:36 PM

I love all the articles!!!!! <3

• total slut July 19th, 2012 9:55 PM

if the theme was punk why did they play screamo

• raYchel July 20th, 2012 1:29 AM

Naomi, what you said about the past was really true… So often I look back and think life was so great back then blah blah like a senior citizen. But I think the past seems that way because we can’t always remember what emotions we were feeling then, we just remember some event… Anyway, your writing style is really gorgeous… like poetry!

• SamB July 24th, 2012 11:58 PM

Katrine, come visit me. I haven’t seen you all summer! Plus, you haven’t told about any of this cool stuff in person, which is a problem. If I could put this comment in Comic Sans, I would (heh heh). Bottom line is, Fantasy misses Gorgeous…and Fantasy really misses Gorgeous’s cooking…and the delegation from Latvia needs to reunite.