Dear Diary

July 11, 2012

Deep thoughts.

Ruby

I am still at camp. I ended up sending that girl’s boyfriend a Facebook message, but then as soon as I told her I had, I sort of cut her off. I’ve grown closer to the other two, and they’ve kind of accepted me as the “good one” in the group. Both of them come to me for advice, and I feel like they respect my judgment. There’s only so much they can do in the woods at camp anyway, so their “badassness” (as one of them put it) hasn’t really affected me.

In other news: there has been SO. MUCH. DRAMA. The following is a short summary of what I’ve been dealing with.

It all started with this one girl, Amy,* who insisted on reading the Bible aloud to her cabin every night. Naturally this makes some people very uncomfortable. When I saw this new girl being somewhat shunned, I decided to take her under my wing. In the camp’s makeshift library, which is just a small cabin in the woods filled with stacks of new and vintage books, I motioned Amy to sit with me.

“They’re all being so mean to me,” she told me. “They won’t stop calling me names.”

“I’m sorry,” I said, “but I’m sure it’s not personal. I bet they’re like this with all the new girls.”

Soon after our talk, I regretted associating myself with her. She started spreading rumors about other girls and trying to get me to help her start new ones. She told a counselor that I had been lighting matches inside the log cabin (very forbidden at camp) when, in reality, she had been doing it. She’s made lots of people cry. She told everyone that one girl had sex with a boy at the brother camp where her parents worked. Who knows if it’s true. She told everyone that several people were bullying her—and then fingered campers who didn’t even know her name. She told me to my face that she had spread rumors that I was a tattletale, which turned at least one old friend against me. I just don’t understand. Her life goal seems to be to stir everyone up and get attention by telling the most obvious of lies.

Sometimes her desire to start a fight is totally comical and bizarre. For example, on Saturday I told another friend of mine how pretty I think she (my friend) is.

“Yeah, you’re almost as pretty as I am,” said Amy to my friend, “and that’s saying something.” I know, it almost sounds too bizarre to be true. The funny thing is that this wasn’t the first comment Amy had made about how she was prettier than everyone else.

“No, that is not saying something,” a girl named Becca responded. “Some people are prettier than you, and some are prettier than me and everyone else.” Amy was furious.

“Well, everyone in my church is jealous of my good looks—I have perfect skin, and it looks like you have a pimple right there,” she said, pointing to a tiny blemish on Becca’s face.

“Amy, I honestly do not care whether or not I have a pimple. Can’t you just let something go without making it about you?” At this, Amy stormed away, only to return about a minute later.

“What, do you have a problem with me being here? It’s a public place, you know,” she said.

“No, I just have a problem with people who are egotistical and point out my acne to me as if I don’t know,” Becca said simply, not sounding angry at all. “Sorry, Miss Perfect!”

“I’m not perfect. Nobody’s perfect!” Amy said. Then she turned around and skipped away, singing the Hannah Montana song without a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

The counselors all seem to be on Amy’s side, so I’ve decided to try to laugh at these little skirmishes. Clearly that’s not very hard to do. ♦

* Names have been changed.

1 2 3 4 5

• sobrina July 11th, 2012 7:21 PM

OMG Ruby, just reading that made me want to tear my hair out. My strategy in these situations is usually “if this happened to (insert favorite TV character) it would be super funny.” Like at school, when people are being impossible, I pretend I’m in a sitcom and it gets a lot easier to deal with. Good luck!

• Moxx July 11th, 2012 7:24 PM

Well, people who decide that it’s ok to read the bible out loud to their poor cabin mates are clearly not perfectly sane.

This girl sounds like she has some problems with herself. I think the best thing you can do right now is laugh internally about it! I hope it gets better, by the way. :)

• isobele July 11th, 2012 7:25 PM

Ugggh, I hate people like that! This girl in my class actually made sure she almost broke her arm in PE just so she could have an argument with another girl. So much drama.

• Tyknos93 July 11th, 2012 7:34 PM

Jeez what’s that Amy girl’s problem??? The Hannah Montana thing is kinda funny though.

Dylan, your post was beautiful. I remember my junior year of high school, taking train rides until the end of the line and back, early in the morning.

It was like the entire city was asleep or just waking up. I felt like I was the first human, which is really weird to say, but it was just a nice experience. I like the city and I like the country. I feel more creative when I’m away from all the city lights and littered streets and loud city folk.

I like the buildings that have aged over the years, the unpaved roads, I like the wild plants and the air.

I think you’ll find your place though.

• July 11th, 2012 7:45 PM

Ruby: that girl sounds a lot like a girl who used to be in my class. She would make everything about her and constantly put others down and then say that they were bullying her. Just ignore people like that…

• cherrycola27 July 11th, 2012 8:12 PM

Katherine, that’s awesome that you are going to that music festival, I’m sure it’ll be great.
    I just recently realized that the Japandroids are pretty popular, and I have to say I don’t understand why. I saw them a few years ago when they opened for the Walkmen and my friends and I really didn’t like their music.
    But everyone has different opinions, of course! :)

• anybeth July 11th, 2012 10:11 PM

Ruby – I made friends with an Amy-esque girl at school. I lasted a good eight months before she betrayed my trust one too many times. I just cut her out of my life. It was surprisingly easy. I do feel guilty sometimes, but I made it clear that if she wants to be my friend, or anybody’s friend she has to start respecting people.
    You seem to be dealing with it much better than I did though, I was very melodramtic silent treatmenty haha. :)

• keezey July 11th, 2012 10:16 PM

Katherine, I LOVE YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE MY HUBBIES ON YOUR DOOR! And even more because your dad can name them. My mom just calls them “The British Boys” and I say, “ONE OF THEM IS IRISH!” And she just rolls her eyes….

Ruby, I feel for you girl…

• llamagesicht July 11th, 2012 10:40 PM

TENNIS. WIMBLEDON. YEP.

• deuxiemesexe July 11th, 2012 11:05 PM

Naomi, I totally understand you. As a kid, I watched Wimbledon with my mother, and I still do it every year. It’s creepy but I can recognize the family members of the players in the stands. I’m looking foward to the Olympics! In 2008, I slept in the living room during the games to watch it late at night. By the way, the Open Ceremony is the best thing ever!

• Mayabett July 11th, 2012 11:22 PM

Interesting reflection, Dylan. I live in NYC and I can definitely relate.

• Abby July 12th, 2012 12:05 AM

So, Katherine, I just want to say thank you for making me feel like I’m not the only person in the workd who listens to One Direction, and also lesser-known stuff… People always seem to think that just because I listen to them, that means that all I listen to is pop music… Um … No.

And to Dylan… I’ve ALWAYS wanted that idyllic childhood in a cute little town where everyone knows each other and you can just let your kids go hang around the neighborhood because it isn’t dangerous and everyone looks out for everyone else. I feel you, sister.

• missmadness July 12th, 2012 9:03 AM

UGH, my boyfriend HAD that childhood in the mountains of NC! They would all bike up to the gas station to drink glass bottles cokes and eat ice cream, and then go over to whoever’s house was making the best dinner that night.

I’m clearly jealous, haha.

• la fee clochette July 12th, 2012 12:31 AM

Ruby: Ugh, I’m 24 and but recently had my own room-mate that was an “Amy”, for a month in Iceland. It is emotionally trying to be around someone like that, but at least it is temporary. Still, I’m glad you at least have this writing outlet to unleash the weirdness that emits certain people like her! i hope she grows out of it, for her sake, too. I will be hoping, for you, that camp gets less dramatic! ;)

• LeatherStuddedFae July 12th, 2012 1:34 AM

Ahaha! Ruby, reading about Amy makes me assume she’s a hypocrite. I mean… seriously? She just read the bible out loud and now she’s doing the complete opposite of what it says. Reminds me of some people in middle school and a few from high school. Immature.

Raaaah! Katherine! Vas Happenin’? I love you for loving One Direction. :))) Your dad is awesome for reading out their names. XD Hope he pronounced them right.

Your stories are all so inspirational and lovely. <3

• hollysh July 12th, 2012 1:43 AM

SEE YOU AT PITCHFORK KATHERINE! It’s my fourth year going and it ruuuuuules.

• llamalina July 12th, 2012 1:56 AM

dylan: i live just outside the city! i spend the day in the city every other weekend. i love san francisco, but for some reason it has always made me feel incredibly lonely.

it might be because i live in a generally sunny area and the city is always cloudy and grey. it might also be the fact that no one seems to smile at me on the street except for junkies and homeless men. i remember reading this story – i don’t know if it’s true – about how a man jumped off the golden gate bridge, and he’d written in his suicide note that if one person smiled at him on the bridge, he wouldn’t jump. it’s still a beautiful city though and i feel lucky i grew up next to it.

• Dylan July 15th, 2012 10:07 PM

That’s a devastating story. I feel that way about Seattle, sometimes, just about the lack of social warmth. I think it is better in San Francisco, but I can relate to being uncomfortable in both places, walking down the street and wishing I was somewhere…happier.

• meels July 12th, 2012 6:02 AM

Naomi I totally get post Wimbledon blues too, I love coming home and putting it on. However its a relief when its over cos I go to school in Wimbledon and it can get so crazy with so many people around

• Afiqa July 12th, 2012 6:08 AM

Ruby: Amy sounds like a hypocrite. I mean, aren’t all religious books and beliefs teach you indirectly on how to be humble and well, nice?

• moonflower July 12th, 2012 7:36 AM

Ruby, I found your article so frustrating to read! I can relate, being in the situation where you take someone under your wing and ultimately get undeservedly punished for it, at least you know inside you were only trying to help.

Maybe the counsilors were on her side because perhaps they know something about her that others don’t. Maybe a mental issue or something… Either way, keep being patient, at least you’re not the only one who sees through her lies and meanness, just enjoy camp with the nice people :)

• actressgirl July 12th, 2012 10:37 AM

Ruby that girl sounds nuts!!! The so called bad girls just sound cool compared to her

• Lucille July 12th, 2012 10:54 AM

OH, Rubzzz, just ignore that kind of people!:)

• Dylan July 13th, 2012 7:00 PM

I got up at 6am Pacific time to watch Wimbledon live and chat Naomi about it…we make GREAT commentary.

• mayagoo July 14th, 2012 11:30 PM

AUGH Dylan your writing is beautiful and meeting you today was amazing, you are so sweet/adorable/funny in person and I sincerely enjoyed talking and getting to know you. I totally forget what we were talking about, but it was something weird and I totally remember saying “brb dying” and sincerely regretting it, so I’m assuming it was a really good convo. Anyway, you’re lovely. This is lovely. Imma read all the other ones now. kaycoolthanxbai
    xoxo Maya (i had the cuff/weirdly awesome necklace that was silver and dangly…..this is a terrible description of myself, but I hope you remember me)

• illonablyton July 15th, 2012 6:25 AM

Amy seems a little… off.

• AliceM July 15th, 2012 11:18 AM

Katherine- “I’ve had trouble making and keeping friends in high school, does this mean that I’m the worst?” It’s so good to hear that other people feel that way too, I have friends outside school but I just don’t fit in to any group in school and I’ve realised that’s ok. While watching the amazing Emma Stone in Easy A I realised that not everyone needs to belong to a group, it’s ok to just float around. I’d love to see an aritcle about this, I feel like the only group I really belong to is Rookie.

• Dylan July 15th, 2012 8:57 PM

WHAT! You are so effing sweet! Thank you.
    I was really hyper, I’m glad I didn’t scare you off. I am intense. We probably both had to brb and die for a second to recover from the madness that was being super high on happiness. <3 Thanks for coming so much!

• Dylan July 15th, 2012 9:12 PM

Woops, meant to reply @mayagoo.

• Jenn July 22nd, 2012 9:38 PM

Wait, so this Amy girl did all of that crazy shit and then skipped away singing HANNAH MONTANA? If I wasn’t already convinced my grandfather was Satan I’d think it was her.

• SamB July 25th, 2012 12:04 AM

Katherine, I love your dad…and his accounting books