Music

Friday Playlist: The Wrong Side of Sunrise

Songs for seeing daybreak.

The eeriest part about staying up all night–whether because you couldn’t sleep or because you were out exploring the world or because that’s just how you roll–is that moment when the sun starts to rise before you are really ready for it. These are the songs that I always seem to come back to as I fall asleep just as the light starts to dawn.

Illustration by Minna

• Tyknos93 July 28th, 2012 12:01 AM

I really love the art direction on this playlist!

Quirks of Blazoning Pens

• FlorenceEyre July 28th, 2012 12:15 AM

I am just thinking about establishing a feminist, rookie-inspired group at our school. But I am afraid that in Slovakia in small town (size of Oak Park) it will not reach its goals, for example, to spread idea of being yourself in your own way.

I dream of a group of intelligent, inspiring young people, who like art, movies, fashion, music, photos, literature… and being themselves and and all stuff like that.

Please, let me know what you think about it.
    Thank you.

• arabellasfireflies July 28th, 2012 3:10 PM

you should do it! there is always a first for everything and you could be the one to inspire your peers!

• FlorenceEyre July 28th, 2012 7:25 PM

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! I decided I am going to do that!

• July 28th, 2012 7:29 PM

You should do it, I know easier said then done but if you want to do soemthing just do it. Be the change you wish to see in the world! Good luck xoxo

• llamagesicht July 28th, 2012 1:25 AM

ahh, Broken Social Scene and the Lovin’ Spoonful

• LittleMoon July 28th, 2012 2:46 AM

Perfect for tonight.

• streaked lights July 28th, 2012 2:51 AM

Wow, the playlist artwork looks gorgeous!
    And isn’t the above scene when Lux gets left behind in the field? Or maybe I just have Sofia Coppola-on-the-brain. :P

• ielo_x3 July 29th, 2012 1:48 AM

Haha, no, you’re right! That, (in all honesty) was the reason I clicked here.

• Pearl July 28th, 2012 3:39 AM

This is so appropriate for me. I stayed up all night to watch the Olympics opening ceremony & I loved it! Sonic Youth, Simon & Garfunkel, Dum Dum Girls all in one playlist. Yes.

• espressoslut July 28th, 2012 4:46 AM

This is perfect because I’m staying up all night tonight and then flying home early in the morning (like the background)!! My sentiments exactly

• Susann July 28th, 2012 4:52 AM

This makes me want to stay up all night! Simon & Garfunkel! :)

Fashion in Pepperland

• ariaablaze July 28th, 2012 3:16 PM

so perfect

• moonflower July 28th, 2012 3:37 PM

Aphex Twin makes hypnotic grooves, and you know it’s legit because Flea listens to them. Do you take in playlist submissions? :)

• moonflower July 28th, 2012 3:38 PM

P.S Avril 14th is stunning, and everyone should watch four lions and really feel it

• Eva July 28th, 2012 6:26 PM

This is awesome ! Perfect for summer nights ! TV on the Radio <3

• July 28th, 2012 7:30 PM

SIMON AND GARUNKEL :):):):)

• Esmee July 29th, 2012 9:42 AM

Sweet, My Bloody Valentine and Aphex Twin!

Personally I would have added a Team Sleep song(especially from the demos) and a Boards of Canada song to the list: a lot of their music ‘feels(to me at least)’ like sunset, nighttime and sunrise.

• Anna F. July 29th, 2012 2:26 PM

Never listened to either of them! Which songs would you recommend?

• Esmee July 29th, 2012 5:52 PM

From Team Sleep I’d recommend Doomed User from their 2005 demos.

I remember listening to ‘doomed user’ 2 years ago, when my boyfriend brought me home. It was just him and I, cycling, in the dead of night, not a soul around, only accompanied by the road and street lights. I gave him my headphones and said: ‘listen to this, doesn’t this fit the atmosphere perfectly?’

Team Sleep also has a great self titled debut album: from the album I would recommend the song ‘BLVD Nights’.

Picking a Boards of Canada song is pretty difficult, (I rather recommend a whole album) but I would go with Peacock Tail from their album The Campfire Headphase. I listened to this album a lot when I used to cycle to work in the early morning, somewhere around mid spring, when the days are finally getting a little longer and you’re about to get a glimpse of the upcoming sun.
        I always thought that was the best part of going to work early haha!

• purrr July 30th, 2012 11:38 AM

1969 is a good boards of canada song and also ‘pete standing alone’ and you HAVE TO GET INTO THEM if you aren’t yet!!

• chawi July 29th, 2012 11:24 AM

perfect perfect perfection!

• ashleylynn July 30th, 2012 5:14 AM

I LOVE this! Beautiful playlist, thanks for sharing :)
    (www.ashleylynn.nl)

• annodamydal August 22nd, 2012 12:44 PM

I laughed when I saw Avril 14th on that list. I soundtracked a scene from my book in which the protagonist is driven home at dawn after a night of mischief for which she wasn’t prepared to that song.

• weetziebatcoolcat November 8th, 2012 8:09 PM

This is absolutely perfect. It makes me want to be all scandalous and sneak out my window at 12:00 to meet a guy. Also Gettin’ some major Sophia Coppola vibez. Avril 14th <3. One of my fav tracks from Marie Antoinette.