You Asked It

Damn Girl Ya Look Good

Bespectacled babes, chest asymmetry, cute overalls, and putting on your face.

I recently got glasses, but I don’t wear them all the time because I feel really ugly in them. Are there some badass bitches in glasses that I could look up to? —Anonymous

When my eyes started turning to shit my senior year, I did anything I could to postpone wearing glasses. I hated sitting up front in class, so I’d stay in the back and ask my classmates what the teacher had written on the board. One time I accidentally smiled at an archenemy at Blockbuster Video because I couldn’t tell who they were. It was pretty ridiculous that I went to such great lengths just to avoid wearing spectacles. Eventually I got sick of being a blind-ass bat (and also had to start driving), so I finally succumbed to wearing glasses. I realized that being a four-eyes wasn’t too bad if I could just find a cool pair that I liked. I desperately wanted ’50s-style cat-eye lenses like Angela wore in My So-Called Life’s Halloween episode, but back in the ancient late ’90s, you could barely find shit. I think I once saw real vintage ones for $200 but they were too small for my face. Basically I had to wear what I thought were “ugly glasses” for years until THE WORLD starting getting smart and manufacturing vintage repro glasses, which brings us to now. You, my dear, are very lucky to be in these modern times where there are SO MANY GLASSES TO CHOOSE FROM. If you find a pair you really like, it really won’t be so bad. And SO many people wear glasses nowadays! You really are not alone. Look at this gang of bespectacled babes!!!

Clockwise from top left: Rashida Jones; YOURS TRULY—that’s right, sister, it’s me!; Enid from Ghost World; Keiko-Lynn; TINA FEY OF COURSE; Aubrey Plaza.

And how can we forget…

DARIA!

Try taking a look around eyeglasses sites like Warby Parker or Etsy (for vintage pairs) to get an idea of what you are looking for in your DREAM FRAMES. You can even talk to your eye doc to see what she might be able to get you. Hopefully you will find your perfect pair soon and start to feel comfortable as a member of the IMPERFECT VISION CLUB (IVC). I’ll be saving a seat for you at our table. —Marie

I have severely asymmetrical breasts—one’s an AA cup and the other’s a D. I’ve decided against getting breast implants when I’m 18 due to feminist morals and the risks attached, etc., but I was wondering if there was any way to make it look less obvious yet still be stylish at the same time. —F.

In a world where those things danglin’ from your chest are referred to collectively as “boobs” it must be stressful sometimes to have a left boob and a right boob that are so distinctly different. Here is some advice from Jesse McCartney, since I know that’s what you came here for: don’t stress. I did some research and even called an expert, and it turns out that you have a million different options for working with your asymmetrical breasts.

First, the expert advice. Farrell Friedenberg runs Jay Ann Intimates, a bra shop outside of Philadelphia that specializes in gear for boobs of all varieties. The first thing she told me was that she sells stuff to people with asymmetrical boobs all the time. Cool! Sometimes being special is awesome, because it means that there are unique products out there to meet your needs. Farrell says you have two options when it comes to bras if you want to make the size difference less obvious. The first option is sew-in pads, which are super cheap and easy. You can pick up a set at a sewing store like Jo-Ann Fabrics, and use some basic sewing skills to sew one into a bra. If you are going to buy a new bra for this project, Farrell told me to remind you that you should be fitting your bras to your larger boob, not the average of your two boobs, in order to avoid squishing. Your second bra-related option is to get a prosthetic breast, which sounds fancy, but they’re really just a nicer, more comfortable version of those chicken cutlets that people wear in beauty pageants. Prosthetic breasts come in a variety of skin tones and weights, so when you are wearing one, it will feel pretty close to having a natural set of same-size boobs. The best way to pursue this option is probably to go into a shop like Farrell’s, where they can help you find a good bra, fit you for your prosthetic, and even help you to get your health insurance to pay for it. To find a shop near you, search Google for places that sell mastectomy bras and prosthetics, since people with breast cancer often use these products too.

If you aren’t trying to add anything balance out the size, and are just looking for some clothes to wear that draw attention away from the difference, I’d suggest you look for tops with overlays that cover the boob area. Throwing some flouncy stuff atop your rack (a) looks cool and (b) will make the difference less apparent. Here are some favorites I found online:

From left: Flight As Can Be Dress, $85; Ethereal Elegance Dress, $60; and Shoreline Art Show Dress, $50, all from Modcloth.

Alternatively, you can go with something baggy and kinda sheer, and wear something tighter under it. This look can be fashionable and sexy (if that’s what you’re going for) without being like, BOOBS.

From left: ASOS Curve Exclusive Top, $46.50, ASOS; Sheer high-low shirt, $18, Forever 21; Layered Cotton Top, $45, Etsy.

Last, I’d encourage you not to beat yourself up over the feminist issue when it comes to figuring out how you want to handle (or not handle) your asymmetrical breasts. The most feminist thing you can do, in my opinion, is to make choices based on what makes you feel good about yourself, no matter what society or your lovers or the media or fashion tells you is “right.” If you think plastic surgery will make your life easier, and it is something that you want, go for it! You are the boss of your body, and any so-called feminist that judges you for your choices is missing the point. —Jamie

I really want a pair of cute overalls! All the ones that I have seen are very “farmer” and unflattering. Do you have any suggestions on where I could find a pair of chic but classic jean ’alls? —Kalley

I have always been a big fan of overalls. I had two pairs of Dickies “ovies” back in the day: one was dark denim and the other was a blue-and-white pin-striped. I used to cuff up the bottoms and wear them with a fitted red tee and my Chucks. There are many more options to make overalls look less “farmer” and more feminine, whether it’s layering cute collared shirts underneath or wearing them with heels or platforms. Take a look at all these stylish overalls-loving ladies below!

For long overalls, it’s good to find something with more of a fitted leg, like these stretch denim overalls by Mother. These Levi’s at Urban Outfitters have that classic look, and would look great with an espadrille. Vintage overalls are also amazing! Check out these two that I found on Etsy from Love Street Vintage and Tender Vintage. I am also really into the vintage reproduction retro look for ovies. These ones by Bernie Dexter are ’40’s-inspired and so cute. Imagine them with saddle shoes! If you like the wide-leg look that Amelia is wearing in the collage above, this red-and grey-pair by Fables By Barrie is pretty sweet. I love shorts worn with tights, and these vegan “leather” overalls from Free People would look rad with this heart seam pair from Urban. Hope that helps! —Marie

Thanks to my dad’s genes, I had some pretty bad acne in middle and high school that left me with scars all over my cheeks. I envy women with porcelain skin and microscopic pores. Are there any inexpensive makeup tricks that would help me create that flawless look? —Anonymous

I KNOW THE FEELING! I had to go to a dermatologist to finally find something that worked for me. When you want to give yourself a really beautiful “made-up” face, it’s great to start with a blank slate texture-wise, but that’s not always possible when you perpetually have 4D zits and scars that just don’t quit and redness and stuff like that. Some people are blessed with perfect skin, but we are not those people! It’s OK though—we’re still pretty, and I have some advice for you.

First, let’s focus on getting an even base by canceling out your skin’s redness and uneven tone with a corrective primer: L’Oreal has a line of primers if you don’t want to splurge on the more-expensive products from Smashbox or Make Up For Ever. It’s good to use a primer because it will (1) smooth your skin texture, so if you have pockmarks and stuff like that, it gives you a more even, flawless coverage; (2) balance out redness if you’re using a corrective color primer; and (3) make your makeup last longer.

After your primer, apply the foundation of your choice, using a beauty blender (Target has its own version, and you can find an alternative at drugstores, too. But here is the original, which will give you flawless coverage.) After applying foundation, dot a color-corrective concealer under your eyes and to your scars. A color-correcting concealer is better than a concealer that matches or is lighter than your skin tone—you want to eliminate dark circles and redness, not highlight them by covering them with something that is lighter than your actual skin.

If you have scars or spots that are still more visible than you’d like, apply a really heavy-duty concealer to those. My favorites aren’t cheap, but they’re the best I’ve tried. Vichy Dermablend makes the best concealers out there—they can cover tattoos and burn tissue, so they can certainly cover a zit or two! They are very very heavy coverage, so you need very little. Use a tiny detail brush—the brand Real Techniques has great ones for this—and deposit the concealer right onto the zit or what have you and blend it out a little. Good brushes are really important for flawless coverage, because using your fingers, especially when you have acne-prone skin, can spread germs around. Real Techniques has really affordable brushes in sets (I like the face set more than the eye set), and E.L.F Studio Line has great brushes for $3 a pop, too. The flat-top powder brush is AMAZING, and you should set your powder with that. Make sure to clean your brushes and sponge regularly, too; it will help prevent breakouts. Hope that helps! —Arabelle ♦

• katrinaexplainsitall July 3rd, 2012 7:13 PM

It’s a good day when a new Damn Girl Ya Look Good gets posted. Thank you, Marie for your advice to the asker of the first question. After seeing all the badass bitches with imperfect vision, who wouldn’t want to wear glasses?! The Warby Parker site is amazing, by the way.

• lylsoy July 3rd, 2012 7:14 PM

That is some good advise on the overalls. I have one, but always feel like a farmer in it.. :) Now I’m going to style it differently!

• mar9ar3t July 3rd, 2012 7:16 PM

I want short-alls so bad!!!

• culturealt July 3rd, 2012 7:51 PM

So thankful I now know about asymmetrical bra options! I’ve been living with totally jacked up bras for forever. UNGH.

• dogsrule July 3rd, 2012 7:55 PM

madewell also has nice overalls

• Jes July 3rd, 2012 8:39 PM

Marie- I know you were trying to show that glasses can be pretty, but all of the people you posted as examples look exactly the same: white, dark straight hair, black frames. I think it is important that the letter writer know that no matter what you look like, you can still look cool in glasses. My advice is to find a pair that fits your style and the shape of your face.

• Marie July 3rd, 2012 10:55 PM

Hmm…well she asked for examples of badass bitches in spex and those are all the bespectacled babes (yes including myself) I think of immediately. Of course, it’s also a display of my own personal preference for those types of frames. Like I said, it all depends on her finding whatever glasses SHE likes and feels comfortable in. Also if you’re fittin’ to get rull observant, Aubrey is half Puerto Rican, Rashida is half African-American, I’m half Filipino and Keiko is part Japanese so there’s technically two white girls there and Daria, who is a cartoon.

• resonance July 4th, 2012 10:39 PM

I had thoughts similar to Jes’ when I first saw the pictures. I appreciate that you included women of color in your examples, but it’s also worth noting that they are all white-passing. Hopefully, I’m not alone in thinking that it’s important to have women who are visibly of color included in things like this from now on, so that those of us who are not white/white-passing can feel better represented as well. :)

• azultardis July 3rd, 2012 9:28 PM

I wear glasses and the frames are red and I look like a library lady, which is ok cause I like it, but the thing is that my mom makes fun of me when I wear my glasses, so I only use them at school u_u, anyway, be confident and choose a pair that fits your style!
    and omg I have short overalls and I’ve never wore them so now would be the perfect time

• EmilyL27 July 3rd, 2012 10:33 PM

Hey girl with uneven breasts. Mine are uneven too due to a sickness I had as a little baby. I thought little lefty would never grow but these days I have one b cup and one c cup (I know your have a bigger difference so I don’t claim to really get it) The best advice I could give is that people notice less than you think! I don’t know how many boyfriends/lovers/one night stands/bffs I told about my issue but they all were like well geeeeez I didn’t notice until you took your shirt off and pointed it out. That said when I was 12 and little lefty was totally flat I woulda loved a boob job. Still would kind of but then again the inequality in my breasts is my biggest flaw body wise and I kinda am attached to it! anyways though. just had to post because my boobs were definitely a giant source of my teenage body insecurity not only small (I’m only a 32 too) but uneven!

• MechaMech July 3rd, 2012 11:29 PM

Hey, girl who’s worried about glasses! While I personally believe (and I’m not alone) that glasses can look pretty bitchin’, there are options for frames that aren’t so IN YOUR FACE (no pun intended) as the ones that are fashionable right now (i.e. thick-black-rimmed). You can find very thin frames that are barely noticeable, if you want that. The important thing is that you try on a shitload of frames (I think it’s mandatory that you try them on in your actual face instead of a picture on a website) and find a shape and general style you’re comfortable with.
    But in the end it’s a matter of embracing your bespectacledness. Look at the badass bitches above: they wear them with confidence AND have good vision to boot.

• Daze July 3rd, 2012 11:55 PM

For the last question: Hard Candy’s Glamoflauge is my favorite drugstore concealer. It’s also supposed to be able to cover tattoos, but at 6 bucks is much cheaper than other brands. I have dark post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, and this makes my skin look nearly flawless.

• o0ohbrittany July 4th, 2012 1:54 AM

to the girl with acne scars, I have the same problem (thanks, dad) and I have found that there are many “home remedy” treatments that significantly reduce the appearance of my scars (both red marks and indentation) and acne. apple cider vineagar applied topically as a toner has shown the best results for me (tone it down with green tea if you have sensitive skin) but mixing together cinnamon, nutmeg, and milk (or honey for a gentler version) has also worked quite well when used as a mask a few times a week. rubbing vitamin e oil on my face before bed is another thing that works, and you can buy actual vitamin gel capsules and just poke it with a needle and squeeze the oil out or you can buy the oil on its own! hope this helps

• haileyhallie July 4th, 2012 4:19 AM

go to salvation army-they ALWAYS have an awesome selection of overalls at the one i shop at!

• meels July 4th, 2012 10:00 AM

guys!! that jesse mcartney number was all wrong!! bad advice. the best jesse song for self esteem is beautiful soul, everybody knows that!!

• Kathryn July 4th, 2012 11:31 AM

I LOVE YOUR GLASSES.
    I want new frames rulll bad

• Lucille July 4th, 2012 11:55 AM

I’m wearing glasses, at first I HATED them! I felt fugly and it was gross wearing them, but after a while I started ADORING THEM!you know, really.
    I have green glasses now(yeah, you won’t ever miss me if you tempt to see me)
    and I’m planning on buying cat-eye ones.
    yey!
    GIRL, YOU KEEP ROCKING IN THEM!
    GLASSES FTW!

• Lucille July 4th, 2012 11:56 AM

PS as I’m writing this here, on TV some lady’s talking bout glasses.creeeeeepy.

• ShockHorror July 4th, 2012 12:14 PM

On the subject of dungarees…

EXCITING FABRICS!

How lush are they?!

The moment i find Minnie and Mickey Mouse fabric, heck even curtains, I am making a pair like that!

• thesexyzebra July 4th, 2012 1:36 PM

I really wanted some fun glasses for my uniformed government job this year, and I just picked a pair of sunglasses and had my optometrist punch out the lenses and fit my prescription in. I get compliments on them all the time! Here’s a pic

• indigosunday July 4th, 2012 2:58 PM

What should I do if I’m a “curvier” girl who wants to wear overalls?

• Nishat July 4th, 2012 3:27 PM

I have worn glasses since like 5th grade or something and now I can’t recognize myself without them (well, I can’t see anything without them, but you know…) Also I love that every badass girl in those glasses has black rimmed glasses. Don’t think you have to as well! (I do, and I love them, just cause they go with everything – but I was definitely debating about some tortoise-shell patterned ones that made me look like a soon-to-be crazy cat lady.)

• charminglady July 4th, 2012 5:13 PM

I love KeikoLynn’s eyeglasses! Where are they from?

• cicconeyouth July 4th, 2012 6:07 PM

In regards to glasses, I second checking out WarbyParker.com Their prescription glasses are cute, high-quality, and $100 (ok, mine are $130 from them but that’s only because I’m super blind and they have to use intense glass for me) & they have a free try-on program! You can pick out 5 pairs from them to try on at home. It was helpful for me, as I was able to spend time with myself in the mirror & showing others, so I ended up with some that I felt really comfortable in.

And a note to Marie – When I think of overalls, I usually feel a little horrified, but you showed off some really adorable options. Thanks for posting those, love it!

• Isabellla July 5th, 2012 7:56 AM

thanks, for the overalls tips! I have been looking for some for ages so I am going to investigate further now that i have seen some stylish options :)

• whodatgal July 5th, 2012 11:43 AM

In respone to the first question, there’s always contacts, no? Or am I wrong?

• 3LL3NH July 5th, 2012 11:54 AM

/var/folders/Sa/SaUImg1iHM4RCr7m6BtSpU+++TQ/-Tmp-/com.apple.PhotoBooth-T0x100117990.tmp.IpjzPm/Photo on 2011-06-22 at 14.39.jpg

/var/folders/Sa/SaUImg1iHM4RCr7m6BtSpU+++TQ/-Tmp-/com.apple.PhotoBooth-T0x100117990.tmp.6c140m/Photo on 2011-06-22 at 14.39 #4.jpg

file://localhost/Users/ellen/Pictures/Photo%20Booth/Photo%20on%202012-07-05%20at%2010.50%20%232.jpg

I took pictures of my glasses because I think they’re bitchin’. I wear glasses whenever I remember (which is less than I should) and I never feel self-conscious because they become a part of me.

• 3LL3NH July 5th, 2012 11:56 AM

so the pics didn’t post…..ah, well, use your imagination.

In other news, question for Arabelle: How do you incorporate moisturizer and sunscreen into your makeup application? Can primer count as moisturizer if you get the right one?

• camille July 5th, 2012 11:04 PM

To the glasses girl: if you’re planning on going the vintage way, I would recommend either trying to find the frames in person, or to ask a large number of questions and/or extra photos to the online seller of your choice. While more often than not you’ll have no problems getting the lenses fitted to the vintage frames, you have to be sure the frames aren’t dried out, even a little if they are plastic or celluloid.

I have once asked an optometrist what to look for in vintage frames, and he explained to me that frames have to be heated in order to get the lenses fitted to them, meaning that most dried out celluloids/plastics will crack under this situation. You just have to inspect the frames beforehand since you wouldn’t want to be stuck with broken glasses and expansive lenses you can’t use.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your research :)

• kaly August 1st, 2012 4:19 PM

“The most feminist thing you can do, in my opinion, is to make choices based on what makes you feel good about yourself, no matter what society or your lovers or the media or fashion tells you is “right.” If you think plastic surgery will make your life easier, and it is something that you want, go for it! You are the boss of your body, and any so-called feminist that judges you for your choices is missing the point.”

this is so so important to remember! as a feminist it’s important to assert control over your own body and if that means getting a breast implant then that is YOUR PREROGATIVE and nobody can make you feel any less feminist about it. even if you were doing it for the ‘wrong reasons’ it is entirely your choice. it’s feminist to feel sexy in your body and if feeling sexy to you means having a surgery to be more comfortable then i say go for it. it doesn’t make you shallow and it doesn’t mean you’re not still a radical, liberated lady!