Style

Be Cool

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the sweet summer breeze.

Illustration by Marjainez

Ahhh, summer. The 95-degree days, the sound of lawnmowers in the morning, the screen doors kerboing-whamming shut, the hot tar sticking to your flip-flops, heat shimmering on the pavement, and chlorine-smelling swimsuits slowly dripping on the porch outside…all good things, right? Summer rules.

But along with all the good stuff the season offers, there has always been something about summer that I hated: the clothing. Bikinis. Sundresses. Short-shorts and miniskirts. I used to hate them all.

All winter long, there are articles in Seventeen, Teen Vogue, Cosmo: “Your Best Summer Body Ever!”; “12 Easy Minutes to a Bikini Bod!” In spring, things really amp up. “This Season’s Bare-All Styles”; “Ab-Toning Exercises That Really Work!”; “10 Secret Fat-Burning Tips You’ve Never Heard Of”; “Wave Buh-Bye to Upper Arm Flab!”

And these articles are often accompanied by sunlit pictures of teensy girls in tiny bikinis laughing on the beach. It all made me quietly panic. Because I wasn’t like other girls. My body was…all weird. Or so I thought. My thighs touched when I walked. They more than touched—they rubbed.

I love wearing dresses and skirts all the time. In the winter, spring, and fall, I wear leggings and tights under my high-waisted skirts and short dresses. But dresses in the summer? With no barrier separating my thighs? No. This is slightly TMI, but the skin on my upper inner thighs totally rubs and chafes and hurts after about an hour of walking around. And we’re not talking “this is uncomfortable”-pain—we’re talking “I AM IN SO MUCH PAIN I CANNOT WALK A STEP FURTHER BECAUSE MY INNER THIGHS FEEL LIKE THEY’RE SHREDDING EACH OTHER”-level suffering.

No one else ever talked about their thighs rubbing. No one else seemed to think sundresses were a source of despair and torture. I really wanted to love my body. I wanted to be happy with everything I had and not compare myself with airbrushed magazine ads.

Swimsuits were out. Shorts were out. I was wearing leggings with dresses in 100-degree heat. Everywhere I went, people would gasp at me, “Aren’t you hot?” When I peeled the leggings off at the end of the day, they’d be soaked with sweat. Yeah, I was hot.

Thankfully, everything changed for me a few summers ago. I was over at a friend’s barbeque and a bunch of people were sitting on the grass under a tree. A girl I didn’t know was wearing an awesome short dress, and I sat down next to her and said, “Oh wow, I love your outfit.”

“Ha, it’s actually from Target!” she said, sitting up and crossing her legs. Underneath her dress, she was wearing black bike shorts that peeked way out from under the hem. Hoping to make conversation, I pointed at them and said, “So, did you bike here?” She laughed. “Nope, my thighs just rub, so I wear shorts under my dresses all summer.”

WHOA. The source of my secret shame. Out in the open. She had said it so casually. I stared at her.

“Your thighs rub together? OMIGOD MINE DO, TOO.”

I was very excited. Like making-intense-eye-contact-a-little-too-close excited. The girl looked at me, unsure about my sudden, extreme enthusiasm. “Yeaaaah,” she said, and then added, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, “Almost everyone’s do.” Then she turned around and started talking to someone else, unaware that she had JUST CHANGED MY LIFE.

I couldn’t believe that this girl was talking so effortlessly about something I’d been embarrassed about for SO LONG, and that I’d never thought of wearing bike shorts under my dresses. I mean, really. Come on.

I began talking to my friends about the whole thigh-rubbing thing, and you know what? That girl at the barbeque was right. A lot—not all, but a lot—of ladies have thighs that rub together. Because a lot of females are built that way. Period. (Jessa on HBO’s Girls had this to say about the phenomenon: “[It] feels like an epic fuckfest with a ghost.”)

I began to look at myself in a more forgiving light. Almost everyone is insecure about something, and maybe I was being my own harshest critic. Maybe wearing shorts wasn’t such an outlandish idea. Maybe I could even appear in a swimsuit in public now.

And I could! No one screamed and fainted on the spot when I appeared in shorts in public for the first time since I was 11 years old. No one, um, even noticed. And man, did the breeze on my legs feel good.

It’s kind of depressing that I disliked and hid a totally normal part of my body every summer into my 20s. It’s even more depressing that I’m not alone—millions of people hate normal parts of their bodies, all the time, everywhere. It’ll be 100 degrees out, and there will be girls wandering around in cardigans, because they don’t like their upper arms. It’s OK to not be comfortable with your body, but if you’re actually really hot? Then you’re just uncomfortable, period. It’s not fair. It’s not in keeping with the free-spirited vibe of summer. You have a right to feel good. C’mon! Let’s all show some damn skin, shall we?

One of the best cures I know of for feeling self-conscious about body stuff and perceived “flaws” is to look at pictures of girls who are workin’ with what they’ve got and look fantastic.

I love being around women with inspiring summer style, and I especially love it when someone bigger than a model (e.g. pretty much everyone) goes without a bra or wears a crop top, a tank top, or a bikini in the summertime, and you can tell they feel great. Easy-breezy style always looks better than hot and uncomfortable. Way better.

We could all deal with a little more style freedom. The freedom to say, “Fuckit, I love me, and it’s hot, and here you go! These are my legs in shorts, and you can fuck off if you don’t like it!”

So be kind to yourself about your body. It might be 900 degrees outside—do what feels good for you in the heat, even if it means showing arms or legs that haven’t seen the sun since your mom was choosing your summer outfits. You’ll look as cool as you feel. ♦

• rosiesayrelax July 4th, 2012 3:06 PM

ha! if only this article had been earlier. i went on holiday and the chafing fiasco was preeeetty bad.

Rosie Say Relax

• mayacolor July 4th, 2012 3:07 PM

Being kind to your body is actually a really hard thing some times! I live in england so I worry more about my toes and fingers freezing but I still don’t have gloves. Hmmm…

• Susann July 4th, 2012 3:08 PM

Bike shorts! What an amazing option – I’ll definitely keep that in mind for the real hot summer days!

Fashion in Pepperland

• ladyjenna July 5th, 2012 11:14 AM

When I played volleyball, the other girls wore spandex…..I wore bike shorts. And under skirts, and dresses, and stuff, too.

• mayaautumn July 4th, 2012 3:09 PM

wow this is amazing!
    and it’s true – everyone dislikes at least one part of their body but y’know, it’s not the end of the world:)

• limegreensunset July 4th, 2012 3:12 PM

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

• katrinaexplainsitall July 4th, 2012 3:12 PM

to hell with caring about whether or not your thighs touch! some girls refer to a gap between their thighs like it’s some sort of holy grail. it’s ridiculous. bless this post ~

• Flyer May 8th, 2013 12:12 AM

Aw, it’s not for fashion purposes that touching thighs are being talked about here, but because it hurts! It chafes! Aaand bloomers are useful for something once more.

• Annabelle July 4th, 2012 3:20 PM

THANK YOU FOR THIS. I was so embarrassed about the bike shorts deal until recently and all girls should know that it’s common and okay! Protect them sexy thighs!

• Yip July 4th, 2012 3:24 PM

OMG. I have that prob too! I didn’t dare to wear anything what was shorter than my knees. Summer was a horrible time for me. But on a day, I woke up and just thought: Fuck everybody else! These are my legs and I’m wearing shorts. Forever. Yeah.

Go Rookie! You’re my hero’s from over the sea.

• HollinsCollins July 4th, 2012 3:24 PM

Great article :D If you’re comfortable with your body in public, other people should be, too. On the other hand, acting awkward tends to weird people out O.o

• Pocket Cow July 4th, 2012 3:46 PM

Awesome article, but what about those of us with the opposite problem? Those of us who are constantly being asked “um, are you, like, anorexic or something?” because we have no curves, no tits, and still have to buy kids-sized clothing?
    Just sayin’. Not all those skinny girls laughing on the beach are very happy…

• emile July 4th, 2012 11:29 PM

every time I get a callous comment, or when I explain I can’t keep weight and someone wryly responds, “I wish I had that problem!” I ask them how they would feel about bruising their sacrum just by sitting down, having to wear three sweaters on a sunny winter day and having to provide a satisfactory response to a question regarding something they have little control over. honestly? it’s none of their damn business. I believe that if someone wants to judge me, they’re going to judge me – if not for my weight, then for my hair or my voice or my clothes. so I can usually shrug it off, because why waste energy on people like that? I’m healthy – I know that – and I feel great. that’s all that matters. I hope you know, you’re beautiful exactly as you are.

• hellorose July 5th, 2012 1:08 PM

ABSOLUTELY. almost nothing ever gets written about this. from the ages of about 13-16 i always wore long sleeves, at least 3/4 length sleeves, even in summer, because people would always point out my ‘skinny’ arms to the extent that i felt really paranoid and ashamed of my wrists and elbows. the school nurse stopped in the middle of the routine checkup we had to have in year 7 and accused me of having an eating disorder (yeah, accused). the number of times people, including friends, have said in public ‘no offence, but are you anorexic?’ AJDHFGLFGLADJHFG!!!! i think because ‘skinny’ is the perceived ideal a lot of people think it’s basically a compliment to assume you have an eating disorder.
      you might find this article interesting: http://thisrecording.com/today/2011/3/29/in-which-we-consider-a-rabbit-metabolism.html

you aren’t the only one!

also i think bike shorts under a summer dress is probably a good idea for anyone – you’ll never end up on the wrong side of a summer breeze and flashing your underwear at everyone!

• tankgrrrl July 5th, 2012 4:26 PM

That article was really good! I have a lot of trouble keeping weight on. I actually did have an eating disorder for years, but even now that I’m eating normally again I’m still under 100lb. The worst is when my mother tells me how lucky I am I don’t have to watch what I eat. I was at a festival earlier in the summer, and a woman came up to me and yelled- really yelled- “Man, I wish I was a skinny Minnie like you! You must never eat anything!” I almost cried, right there in the middle of the crowd. I love my body, I just wish other people would shut up about it.

• Killjoy July 9th, 2012 3:03 AM

I really really want to gain weight but right now I keep losing weight.

• ghoststakepolaroids July 4th, 2012 3:49 PM

great article! I had this problem every time I went on holiday and was always to afraid to admit it to anyone

• Moxx July 4th, 2012 3:51 PM

If walking hurts because you thighs rub so hard that they are killing you shouldn’t you be concerned? I mean, that sounds painful and maybe an indication that something is wrong? Once I hurt my knee and only found out that my rotation thing that I have on my knee had gotten worse after I hurt it because I was walking weird and it was painful and I went to see a doctor.
    My upper thighs touch too, and even when they were larger and closer together, they rubbed but never hurt.
    I actually never met this problem of thighs HURTING because of the rub…
    Maybe it’s not even a thigh size thing? But just thigh placement? Like how far apart they are? A lot of women here have narrow hips… Maybe this is a trait that makes your legs closer together and makes you prone to this rubbing problem? I don’t know but that sounds awful and aaaaaaa and I know that if I had that and it hurt me every day I’d freak out and isn’t it kind of not normal for you to hurt yourself with yourself just by walking?

I am honestly curious now… Does this hurt a lot of people? I mean, I remember the rubbing was of course uncomfortable when it was hot and all, but really hurting?

• missmadness July 4th, 2012 4:26 PM

When I was younger, before I grew unto my curves, it got so bad that I chaffed to the point of bleeding.

• skylerpaige July 4th, 2012 6:53 PM

It is quite common to have chub rub to the point of HURTING and even bleeding. I’ve tried all kinds of anti chafing sticks, etc and mine still get bumpy, irritated and have bled from long days of walking around in super hot weather in short shorts or dresses. It does in fact hurt a LOT of people. I’m pretty sure I don’t know one girl whose thighs don’t touch, except possibly my boyfriends 13 year old sister who’s amazonian tall and weighs like 80 lbs soaking wet..her growth spurt only changed her vertically, were waiting for some horizontal growth as well..my growth spurt was the opposite! haha

• Moxx July 4th, 2012 9:10 PM

That’s awful ! :(
      thank you for sharing your experiences. I was just surprised, that’s all. I had no idea it was common.

I spent a large part of my life in Brazil, where I went to the beach like errday (good times c: ) and people find it attractive to have thick thighs (people do lots of squats etc… It’s a beauty standard thing), and none of my friends or their mothers or aunts or anything complained about the hurting sort of rubbing… Even though people you’re close to are usually pretty open about this sort of thing/ playful complaining in my experience. And their thighs absolutely touched.

• ladyjenna July 5th, 2012 11:17 AM

That’s cool! I like how beauty standards are different in places. Kinda shows how silly they all are….but i’m moving to brazil. Wheneer I can.

• EmilyL27 July 5th, 2012 11:07 PM

My thighs touch a little. It usually doesn’t bother me too much unless I’m running for too long with small shorts on. I have pretty skinny legs too but also quite narrow hips. I think the rest of my body would be a bit underweight if my legs got skinny enough not to touch at all. and I dunno I moisture well… maybe that’s it? I think it’s as much different types of thigh skin as it is having thighs a certain distance apart.

• RhiaSnape July 4th, 2012 4:11 PM

Krista, thankyou for this article. I’m so self concious of my thighs, and all of my friends seem to have perfectly skinny legs with ‘the gap’ between the thighs. I don’t and always feel short and stout, although i love shorts, skirts and dresses!
    Hopefully one day, I’ll feel like i actually look good without being a stick. The ironic thing, is that I just ate a chocolate muffin.

• lxmldrt July 4th, 2012 4:12 PM

Not shaving you legs takes a lot of guts/self confidence in summer too. I’m from the southen hemisphere and still trying to pluck up the courage for december.

Hooray for this article!

• Jolien July 4th, 2012 4:17 PM

OMG if only this article was posted yesterday becuase i have aa really bad burning pain between my legs from walking arround all day in my mini dress gawd XD

• Mila July 4th, 2012 4:25 PM

i have the exact same problem with my arms. just don’t feel comfortable with them.
    but this article means so much to me.
    it was important to read it because it has kinda opened my eyes!

• ifellfromlalaland July 4th, 2012 4:53 PM

Oh my god how did you surive without bike shorts for so long?! They’re indispensible for me because I love flippy skirts and sitting cross legged but bike shorts keep my modesty *angel face* also not wearing a bra…I’m not sure about that one. Its comfy in a tight top but then you have the nipple issue

• mollywobbles July 4th, 2012 5:14 PM

“And I could! No one screamed and fainted on the spot when I appeared in shorts in public for the first time since I was 11-years-old.”

This particular sentence actually reassures me so much, it makes me realise that other people won’t know that you’re self concious about a certain part of your body (unless you tell them) and that you just have to own it and hold your head up high :D Love it!

• soursequence July 4th, 2012 6:11 PM

Okay, funny story. When my boyfriend was about eight years old his family went to Disney World and his thighs chaffed so bad that he convinced his mom to find a wheelchair and push him around in it all day.

I am def ordering some of those bike shorts. I was always amazed at how women could wear shirts and dresses and suggest they were “breezy” as my thighs calloused in the wind. Thank you, Krista! We all need to start talking about these things.

• didja July 4th, 2012 6:14 PM

I love this article! But my problem is quite the opposite. I want to wear flowy dresses, and rad shorts, and tank tops, but…I come from a very religious muslim family! I don’t really consider myself to be muslim…but my whole family is so I’m stuck under their rule! So I remain to wear jeans and cardigans. D:

• ladyjenna July 5th, 2012 11:20 AM

Okay commenting a lot here, but one of my friends is muslim and she wears a TON of dresses, shorts, tank tops…..but she wears like opaque tights under shorts, and lighter weight t shirts under tank tops, and both under dresses.

This was okay till summer, when she had to play tennis in long sleeved shirts and full length pants.

Maybe try talking with your parents, try and do moderate changes at first?

I’m totally not an expert or anything but I sympathize.

• Pashupati July 5th, 2012 3:40 PM

All the muslim girls I know wear flowy dresses, so it shouldn’t be a problem as long as it is modest, I guess?
      Maybe you should show your parents blogs like that: http://caribmuslimah.wordpress.com/
      (those are the only ones I can think of right away. basically websites showing you can like fashion, enjoy it and be muslim, even though you don’t consider yourself muslim… I mean be a good person from a religious point-of-view.)
      And slowly adapt your style to what you like, ie if the dress don’t have sleeves wear a light blouse under or cardigan over it. I don’t know… Then one day, wear it without a blouse. And they’ll adapt as your style will change more slowly? Hope it helps.

• elleminte July 4th, 2012 6:15 PM

I love wearing bike shorts under all my skirts and dresses! Chub-rub sucks so much.

I used to put on deodorant on my inner thighs to keep them from chafing but it doesn’t last very long. It just stalled the inevitable. I got a pair of bike shorts and never looked back (well sometimes i still put on deodorant if it’s too hot to add that extra layer..).

I’ve also been seeing girls wear bike shorts under jean shorts of all things and I am so willing to jump on that boat.

• revoketeensyslews July 4th, 2012 6:19 PM

Another good fix for thigh-chafing is just to put some deodorant/anti-perspirant on your upper thighs. Instead of chafing your thighs just kind of smoothly glide together, like they’re made of silk, and it stays on pretty good through sweating since it’s, you know, designed to.

• attackeddd July 4th, 2012 7:06 PM

i don’t like my thighs, but don’t really know anyone who likes their own thighs.

• isobele July 4th, 2012 7:14 PM

gah im so glad rookie exists. pretty much every other magazine aimed at teenage girls focus’s on how to make your bodys ‘beach perfect’ whilst showing airbrushed girls frolicking in teeny triangle bikinis. WHERE DO THESE PEOPLE LIVE!

• TessaTheTeenageWitch August 14th, 2012 7:36 PM

at my school, it turns out.

• dearilou July 4th, 2012 7:24 PM

I wore bike shorts under dresses and skirts for years. Then I bought an awful girdle thing that squished my tummy in, and I didn’t have a problem with my stomach. Now my super cheap option: cut a pair of old tights above the knee. Done! Best idea I ever had.

• Mayabett July 4th, 2012 7:33 PM

Haha I love this! My thighs don’t rub together but I wear lovely spandex bike shorts underneath all my dresses and skirts (the really short ones) so I don’t flash anyone if there’s an unexpected breeze or I’m walking up stairs.

• NotReallyChristian July 4th, 2012 7:34 PM

Ah, summer style. I’m kind of surprised I don’t have this chafing problem considering my thighs are pretty close friends, but I have another problem with summer clothes: I burn faster than a teacake in the toaster. Ok seeing as I live in Britain this isn’t completely disabling, but if I go somewhere even a bit sunnier (or if we have a shocking run of cloudless days) summer becomes a nightmare for me. I have the delightful choice of either wearing suffocating layers or covering myself in factor 50, which is time-consuming and kind of unpleasant (ever put suncream on and then gone cycling? A LOT of dirt will stick to those legs!). I have burned in the shade, I have burned through glass (A PLANE WINDOW FFS), I have burned in Scotland (!) when it wasn’t even sunny (!!). What am I supposed to wear?!?

• ladyjenna July 5th, 2012 11:22 AM

One of those floppy sofia vergara hats, and a lightweight long-sleeved beach cover up.
      *teacake in a toaster*….thats an awesome metaphor

• tiffy July 6th, 2012 7:28 PM

yup, perfect excuse to upgrade your wide-brimmed hat collection!

• Isabellla July 4th, 2012 8:20 PM

Yay! I alwaYs wear bike shorts. And not just because they make it more comfortable but you can get really AWESOME bike shorts (I have a pair from the 80s with fluorescent stipes and revenge of flower power all over them). They also really help when you are wearing a short skirt/dress and you don’t feel confident with how short it is…bam! Problem solved. Thanks Rookie!

• darksideoftherainbow July 4th, 2012 8:26 PM

i’m going to try. i’ve been dying so far this summer with sweaters and sweatpants. sweatpants.

thanks.

• ocolli July 4th, 2012 8:47 PM

Supposedly if you put mild lotion on the thighs right after you’ve gently dried off from the shower it can help too… I haven’t tried it yet but I hope it works!

• Harley July 4th, 2012 10:34 PM

My thighs rub together too and it’s annoying! I’ve never wanted to lose weight but sometimes I would like slimmer thighs because they would be more comfortable for clothes. After I think that I kind of regret it because this is the body I have been given so I should appreciate it.
    I don’t peel or bleed or anything major like that, but I still feel more comfortable with some shorts under my skirts/dresses. It also solves the problem of flashing someone if it’s windy or if I am walking up the stairs.

• Juniper July 5th, 2012 12:54 AM

This is a perfect article!
    I used to never wear shorts during summer either, but because I was afraid of being called chicken legs!
    Now I know it doesn’t matter! :)

• lifewithrecipes July 5th, 2012 2:49 AM

Biker shorts are great, BUT I found out about Bodyglide 2 weeks ago and it has CHANGED MY LIFE. Marathoners/bicyclists use it so their nipples/feet/crotches don’t get chafed. It is a miracle and it lasts for 8-ish hours.

• Krista July 5th, 2012 11:27 AM

Whoa whoa whoa 8 HOURS??? I must have this miracle product! Thanks!

• fancythatvintage July 5th, 2012 5:13 PM

If you can’t get your hands on some Body Glide, any long lasting powder deodorant/antiperspirant will do the trick just as well! I just use my Dove Clinical Strength, and I wouldn’t make it through the summer without it! :)

• Lucille July 5th, 2012 4:10 AM

Amazing article!
    YOU, YOU ARE PRETTY, NO MATTER WHAT SIZE YOU ARE.DON’T LISTEN TO SOCIETY.IT’LL KILL YOU.
    JUST LOVE WHO YOU ARE!

• Newyorkbeats July 5th, 2012 6:31 AM

OMG I totally get you, I wear bike shorts all the time under my dresses and skirts. If someone accidently sees them I just tell that it is because if my skirt/dress rides up people won’t see my knickers. :)

• ali July 5th, 2012 7:20 AM

i was going to say – everyone’s thighs rub! girls i know just carry baby powder around everywhere and, yeah, wear shorts.

• Jillian July 5th, 2012 9:35 AM

They also make a spectacular product called Body Glide! It’s essentially leg lube. Looks like a stick of deodorant and you just swipe some on your thighs (or wherever you chafe).

I’m a runner and when I started training for my first half marathon, I realized I couldn’t get further than 5 miles without the chafing being UNBEARABLE. Then it took about a week to heal. That stuff got me through. They sell it most places they sell athletic gear.

• Giulia Lain July 5th, 2012 11:52 AM

This is great, but I still feel uncomfortable when I’m on a bikini. I feel like I’m too skinny, or that breasts are too small, I don’t know, but I don’t feel good. I’ll try to change it, yes!

• fizzingwhizbees July 5th, 2012 2:19 PM

I’ve been wearing bike shorts under dresses for ages! Not only does it stop the chafing, you can sit on the floor or do spontaneous cartwheels without anybody seeing your embarrassing underwear.

• Dino July 5th, 2012 2:40 PM

I love my bike shorts! I wear them all the time, plus old leggings can be converted to bike shorts by just being cut.

Thank you Rookie for going against mainstream media and telling it like it is!!!!

• Flavia July 5th, 2012 3:22 PM

When I was at school and I had to wear a uniform I’d wear two pairs of tights hoping that that would make my legs look less skinny. When I changed school and didn’t have to wear a uniform,I ‘d always wear a hoodie, even if it was fucking hot, so that people wouldn’t notice how thin I was. Thank god I’ve outgrown it!

P.S. Bike shorts are the best also for tall girls, dresses are always really short for me so with them I can move without showing my underwear to the entire world.

• julalondon July 5th, 2012 3:28 PM

Ok seriously this is probably one of my all time favourite articles on Rookie! I always had/have that problem and for those who dont’t believe it THE RUBBING THING REALLY HURTS!!! But nobody EVER talked about it. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! xxx

• fancythatvintage July 5th, 2012 5:11 PM

I’ve always had thighs that touched, even during my pre-teen years and post-break up underweight stages. I have a little tip. Bike shorts are all well and good, but what to do when you’re wearing a more body conscious dress and don’t want seams showing? What about when it’s just too damn hot for another layer? Powder deodorant, my dear girls. It’s a proverbial GODSEND. Just slap any kind of opaque white deodorant on your thighs, and enjoy a pain free existence all day! (I may or may not keep a travel size in my purse in case I forget…)

Big Hugs,
    Kara

• TheGreatandPowerfulRandini July 6th, 2012 5:44 AM

Bike shorts are awesome! I started wearing them for ballet over my leotard because my underwear would peak through, and then my sister started wearing them under short-shorts (she does cheerleading), and now I kind of wear them under everything, because I pretty much wear dresses and skirts every day. Not just the short ones, either. I live in a windy city, you never know what that maxi skirt is gonna do.

• WillowD July 6th, 2012 12:46 PM

This is so totally relevant; I’m so going to invest in some bike shorts this year. To hell with leg insecurities!!

• maddzwx July 6th, 2012 7:10 PM

I have scars and cuts on my legs and I wear long pants. ALL SUMMER LONG. In LA. Yeah, I’m fucking hot, but terrified of anyone seeing my legs.

• Nikilodeon July 7th, 2012 1:33 AM

yes! love your body and wear what you want! :) loved that last couple of paragraphs. this reminds me of european fashion. not all europeans are THAT gorgeous, but their confidence enables them to look totally awesome no matter what they wear, whether they’re fat, short, normal, tall, etc. i really look up to european women and how they dress, actually. they just seem to be so carefree about their clothing choices.

• Phie-lilbee July 7th, 2012 3:49 AM

I just back from a particularly sweaty 4 days in Paris and chaffing was the bane of my existence there, ah If seen this 5 days ago

• hollyhotdog July 7th, 2012 7:57 AM

thankyou for this, bike shorts! What a great idea! I don’t suffer from chafing, but I have this paranoia of there being a breeze that flashes my granny knickers to everyone. Now I just gotta find somewhere in the UK that sells bike shorts…

• nicholo94 July 9th, 2012 5:25 PM

This article is awesome Krista! I thought i was the only person with this problem too! I feel like because of my body type i cant wear what i want, but now i cant wait to!

• firstcomestherain July 13th, 2012 5:32 PM

This article is amazing! Thank god for Rookie!

• Maradoll Mynx July 16th, 2012 11:29 AM

I ADORE this article. I, too, have been fretting all summer long. I’m short. Like 5’1. Shorts make my legs (which are uncharacteristically short, even for my bod) look like stumps. However, I like shorts. I want to wear them. This article, unlike many others on the subject, does not deny this problem. It just says “f*k it.” And I’m like, “yes~basically!” So THANKS AGAIN, Rookies :)

• hollypop July 17th, 2012 6:46 PM

I used to feel the exact same way, until I saw Nicki Minaj and her thighs, and she totally rocks them. She’s short and she’s curvey and she looks so good. Someone who’s so in the mainstream. The same goes for Beyonce as well, the most sassy person in the world.

I’m finally only getting comfortable enough with myself to say ‘hey this is me, and I don’t care what you think about me, and that my thighs touch when I walk’.

• Caty Cat July 30th, 2012 10:41 AM

great article , i don’t think it is the problem with me , because i know i have got to proud of myself although i’m not so pretty

• malifera August 1st, 2012 2:19 PM

Pro-tip: Vitamin E oil between your thighs.
    I had a skin problem and I used it for a while before I realized my thighs no longer hurt when they rubbed together.
    I’ve heard deodorant works too.

• TessaTheTeenageWitch August 14th, 2012 7:31 PM

In my family chaffing is called “The C Word”. I don’t even know.

But after playing 2 games of netball and your all sweaty and icky, IT FEELS LIKE YOUR LEGS ARE BEING ATTACKED BY A MILLION TINY DEMONS. Thanks for talking about this… for some reason it has become unspeakable.

• Narita September 5th, 2012 12:43 AM

Ugh. Is it normal when the tight-rubbing fuckfest/massacre/torture also happens when wearing trousers? Mostly around my period. Having an usual 5 am – 5 pm school day, it’s KILLING!

• ClaraMaurer September 10th, 2012 12:22 PM

Im not the only one with the tights-rub-problem ? This will change MY life !!!

• Bonellafun October 8th, 2012 4:14 PM

ugh this made me feel so much better. sometimes when i get my period my thighs rub and it hurts like a bitch, I always thought i was the only one with this problem, but this makes me feel soooooooooooo much better.

• Hannah Rosen May 9th, 2013 4:08 PM

I had the same A-HA moment when I realized other women had this problem too!

You may want to check out Thigh Society. They are shorts made SPECIFICALLY for this problem, and they are awesome.

Link here: http://www.thighsociety.ca/

• Rosa-Bones May 23rd, 2013 11:02 AM

Oh! Great article! Very cool! Now I’ll go swimming in my 50′s Pin-Up-style bikini. :D