Fun

Road Trip Diary: Week One

More fun than should be allowed.

I’m writing this on night four of the Rookie Road Trip. So far we’re on “Boyfriend” play #18, fart #9 (SBDs not included), and pee-from-laughing-too-hard #1. Now that I’ve made us seem like the most unattractive bunch of people ever, listen to these details of our lives!

Poop graffiti (not ours).

Friendship bracelets (also not ours, but we wish!)

The tour started on Monday at Littlefield in Brooklyn, NY. The airplanes carrying me and the Canadians (Petra, her boyfriend, and her sister) were delayed, so we were an hour late to the venue, coming straight from the airport and smelling like what I can only describe as sunshine bouquets of Meryl Streep ambrosia roses. Before I got there, Hazel, Emma, and Jenny read aloud pieces they’d written on this here ole Rooks, and Supercute! played the theme song they wrote and recorded for us way back in our first month. Once I got there I did a DIY onstage of my bitchface tutorial, throwing in an improvised “YOLO” to show that I am in touch with da kidz.

Supercute! performing like bosses. Photo by Hazel.

Delicious vegan catering from Babycakes.

Bitchface lessons. Photos by Anaheed.

Hazel being a rock star. Photo by Anaheed.

After the show, our awesome readers milled about, and I got to meet most of them. I was so psyched to learn that many of the girls I was talking to in groups had come alone and only just met each other and became friends. WOOHOO, FRIENDS.

Photo by Anaheed

Photo by Anaheed

After a staff get-together at Laia’s, we loaded the van and left in the morning for Philadelphia, stopping along the way to contemplate buying pink shirts with cosmopolitan glasses on them that said “WHO LET THE GIRLS OUT?” at a rest stop in New Jersey. I honestly don’t remember what we discussed on that first drive of our three-week-long trip, because it already feels like it’s been a month, in the best way. I hung my “Wild Heart” banner in the window and we predicted then that by the end of the trip, our van (named Greased Lightnin’ by Hazel) would be covered by glitter and crumbs.

Jamia, Amy Rose, and Laia. We are lucky ducks for knowing and working with such stellar huggers.

Van decor from nice.etsy.com. Photo by Hazel.

Petra and me dancing to “Unwritten” at a rest stop; photo by Hazel.

In Philly we went to Long in the Tooth, per suggestions from readers. It turned out to be one of the best stores I’ve ever been to. They had a rad collection of records new and used, a rack of locally made zines and music, and an insanely MAGICAL bin of cheap old magazines and books that I’m used to crying over for being $40 apiece on eBay. The guy at the register asked us if some kind of event was happening and said that he’d never seen this many women in the store at the same time. The woman working there said she hadn’t seen this many women in the store ever.

Photo by Anaheed

MAGICAL BOX OF MAGIC.

Being around music helped break the ice and made it easier to bond over the same interests, and I found myself in a conversation about religion with two readers, Jamie and Julia, that suddenly got supes deep. After a little while, we all headed over to the park in Rittenhouse Square, sat in a giant camp circle, introduced ourselves, talked about fashion and feminism and Heathers vs. Party Girl (verdict: Heathers), and crafted banners. I had my portable record player, so we put on the Violent Femmes record that Anna (Petra’s sister) had just bought and let the Angela Chase song of freedom ring.

Photo by Anaheed

We then took a group photo that ended up looking like a cult led by Petra with all of us as her wives:

Photo by Petra

After getting some Shake Shack, we hopped back into Greased Lightnin’ and headed to Pittsburgh to sleep. It was super late and the diners were few, but we were starving. We tried Outback Steakhouse, but a woman working there closed the doors just as we walked up, causing me to plead, with watering eyes, “WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE US?!” She gave me a look of sympathy and said, “I don’t know?” There were definitely some VIPs still hanging around who we saw through the window, so eff you, Outback! Excuse me while I write on your Facebook wall like a grandparent.

We then tried Kings, who generously stayed open a little late to fill our stomachs. On the way to the bathroom I noticed a wall of Memorial Day cards. Someone had signed theirs “Knarf.” Knarf has become the mascot of our trip. Knarf is just the man. No question.

After a night of Gchatting friendly messages like “’sup bitch ;P” at Hazel from the bed right next to hers in our hotel room and staring at her till she noticed (she never did and I gave up), we took Greased Lightnin’ to Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams in Columbus, OH. This was a smaller group, and we had a nice little room to ourselves in the back, where we discussed pressing issues such as Jeni’s delicious weird flavors, our temperamental teachers, and One Direction.

Sup bitch ;P

Photo by Hazel

Photo by Anaheed

Photo by Avery Hunsberger

The youngest girl there, Isabella, was 13, and her dad dropped her off and then waited, standing outside across the street for two hours until it was over. When he picked her up, Anaheed whispered to him, “Isabella is awesome,” and he whispered, “Isn’t she?” and then my heart died and was reincarnated as one the size of a quadruple cheeseburger that got ketchup squirted on it in a smiley face.

Isabella. Photo by Anaheed.

Isabella's dad waiting outside in 80-degree weather. Photo by Anaheed.

The group picture this time ended up looking like an old class photo:

Photo by Hazel of a photo by Petra

We wanted to go to the Salvation Army afterwards but our app brought us to the Salvation Army offices, and we all felt dumb for being so dependent on technology. We instead used the time to take photos of my roller skates, which I don’t know how to use—Anaheed and Anna had to help me along like a giant baby, or the physically manifested female version of the concept behind Big. Later we each got our own 13-inch pizzas at Harvest Pizzeria due to starvation and disregard for “health,” and we arm-wrestled.

Hazel won.

At some point a giant shadow of Jesus was cast by a cardboard cutout on the triangular church across the street, and it was sorta super eerie. Back at the hotel, I continued to cyberbully Hazel.

Photo by Tavi

This morning we all wore matching red-and-white gingham like a picnic-blanket dweeb cult, and stopped at Starbucks, where a cashier I assume is named Knarf remarked, “This is some District 9-level shit.” Yes, Knarf. Yes it is.

Photo by Avery Hunsberger

The drive in Ohio was beautiful, with lots of woods and farms and creeks, accompanied by the Drifters and Buddy Holly. While on the highway we saw a sign for the National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation and couldn’t help taking a quick detour to see what this SHRINE business was. There were a handful of beautiful churches all facing one another, and every house looked like the one from Carrie, and there was a FOUR-PERSON WATER FOUNTAIN.

Photo by Anaheed

Then we gals got together in our matching outfits with my record player and vinyl Carrie soundtrack while Petra took good, creepy photos, which will be up in August.

Photo by Avery Hunsberger

When we got to Ann Arbor we met everyone at Pinball Pete’s arcade. We broke the ice with a name game, then discussed with some readers the trials and tribulations of Rayanne Graff. Then we played games for a while, before walking several blocks to Krazy Jim’s Blimpy Burger to eat. It was 100 dumb degrees outside, and worse inside, and I’m sorry to our Ann Arbor visitors that we didn’t think about weather conditions or going to a place with air conditioning!

Photo by Anaheed

Photo by Avery Hunsberger

Photo by Avery Hunsberger

Photo by Avery Hunsberger

The burgers were delicious nonetheless, and we took a group photo that kind of looks like driveway photos from prom.

We road trippers and a few of Hazel’s friends then headed to a river to swim and try to not think about the leeches scene from Stand By Me. We listened to the American Graffiti soundtrack on the record player and daydreamed of Knarf.

Photo by Zac Zellers

Team Amurrrikuhhh.

In search of frozen yogurt, we stopped by a huge mall, but all the stores were closed, so instead we went on rides made for five-year-olds.

Back at our hotel, I made Anaheed accompany me down the hall to demand that the Canadians (Petra & her slaves) give me the food I’d bought earlier in the day, which somehow ended up in their room. We hissed and clawed at their door until Petra and Anna opened it to fling a blanket out at me. A few seconds later, they did the same with an ironing board. Then, handfuls of tampons. I think this is exactly the kind of thing Kerouac always envisioned.

SUPER IMPORTANT FASHION ART AVANT-GARDE PHOTOGRAPHY BY PETRA COLLINS

I didn’t want to write this for every meet-up, because I don’t want it to get so repetitive that it sounds insincere, but seriously, thank you times a million to everyone who was able to come out, and for giving away such precious memories for our shrine. We have the best time working on Rookie, but so much of the credit for what makes it good goes to our readers, for your comments, ideas, and submissions. To get to meet and talk with the people whose opinions shape the site was really just thrilling. We were honored to hear that Rookie has meant something to people, too, and I might’ve teared up a few times? Even with the incredible community we have online, doing anything on the internet can feel like shouting into a black hole, and knowing that our site found its way to someone’s eyeballs, and meeting a bunch of strangers to talk about it with, is immensely reassuring. You’ll have to put up with a heartfelt paragraph like this from me every week, because there’s too much love I’m feelin’ right now, and it needs to be acknowledged after all these people came and acted like their best selves.

That’s another thing: no one at these get-togethers has tried to act cool or over it, people are enthusiastic and unashamedly nerdy and I love that. Remember to check the Road Trip Itinerary to see where and when to meet us next! ♦

• moonchild June 29th, 2012 3:05 PM

HOLY HELL IT’S ME AND CHARLOTTE!

• moonchild June 29th, 2012 3:09 PM

Um, also? I posted a long comment before but it was on an old post so I don’t think many people saw it so I’M AGONNA POST IT AGAIN.

Rookie Roadtrip: New York Edition was flippin AWESOME! Tavi, you’re so sweet and so absolutely easy to talk to! I hope you like my amulet thing (?) (what?) and yeah. The end. Although I kind of wish I gave you my blog name because what would be cooler than having TAVI read your blog?! (http://under-a-bridge.blogspot.com/) (WHAT? I’M NOT SHAMELESSLY SELF PROMOTING! PSHHHTTT.)

Anaheed, you are such a lovely person. There is nothing more welcoming when you are nervously excited than a beautiful woman in a silk lounge top hug you without warning! <3 *internet love*

Amy Rose, you are a totally bitchen’ dude/bro/man! #soupdumplings (need I say more?)

I didn’t really get to talk to Petra or Hazel, but you both seem so cool, as well as the band SUPER CUTE WHO WERE (in Charlotte’s words) SUPER CUTE.

Lastly, it was so wonderful to meet other readers! This group was so welcoming and everyone was so approachable and stylin’ and wonderful! Shoutout to all my new friends from That One Weird Girl In The Green Turban/Headscarf Thing. Yeah. And thank you for the waffle!
      Love,
      Gwen

• Tavi June 29th, 2012 3:12 PM

I’m so glad you had a good time! We were so worried since it was our first and estimated to be our biggest. But you too were so easy and fun to talk to and I LOVED the amulet and am trying not to eat it. It’s so funny now to realize you’re Moonchild! I love your blog and the girl love goin’ on with Charlotte there. Thanks for coming to the event and for being rad :)

• moonchild June 29th, 2012 3:15 PM

No. no no no no nonononono TAVI GEVINSON DID NOT JUST SAY SHE LIKES MY BLOG WT FLUB.

• Laia June 29th, 2012 3:27 PM

“beautiful woman in a silk lounge top”

omg best description.

• katrinaexplainsitall June 29th, 2012 3:12 PM

oh my god this looks so fun. I looooove the bitchface tutorial and I need to see it in real life. Now I MUST go to LA stop.

katrinaspice.blogspot.com

• ferrris June 29th, 2012 3:14 PM

Loving this so much! Thank you Rookie! Wishing I was there. Awaiting more awesome photos. Lots of love, Samantha from Manchester UK x x x x (@sammehxo)

• Susann June 29th, 2012 3:16 PM

Aaah, that sounds and looks so amazing! I wish I could be there too :)

Fashion in Pepperland

• Fortune_Goddess June 29th, 2012 3:19 PM

Oh my god my picture is up here! And my dad’s! :D I can’t believe it. My dad will be really really happy and I’m so stunned that, like, I’m ON ROOKIE thank you guys so much for coming to Columbus, honest to god. You just about made my life, all of you. :)

• TheGreatandPowerfulRandini June 29th, 2012 5:28 PM

Your dad is awesome.

• Anaheed June 29th, 2012 7:57 PM

Isabella!!!! HI!

• TessAnnesley June 29th, 2012 8:32 PM

YOUR DAD IS THE BEST PERSON

• AliceinWonderland June 30th, 2012 2:56 PM

Hey! Glad to see there are fellow young’uns reading Rookie out there! I too am thirteen but can’t go to any of the meetups unfortunately so… :( That’s a major bummer.

• HollinsCollins August 6th, 2012 1:46 PM

OHMYGOSH Isabella, IT IS SO COOL.
      Sorry to gush so much, but I’m 13, too and I’m uber-happy to be relating to someone MY AGE WHO LOVES ROOKIE, TOO.

• Gabby June 29th, 2012 3:19 PM

my heart feels so warm and fuzzy after reading this. i love you guys and rookie and that you exist and care about your readers and awwwwwww. seriously.

outback steakhouse is at the bottom of the chain restaurant food chain, in my book. CRACKER BARREL OF CHILI’S WOULD NEVER HAVE SHUT THE DOOR ON YOU.

• Ilona June 29th, 2012 3:20 PM

Please please come to england

• mollywobbles June 29th, 2012 4:04 PM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

• RhiaSnape June 29th, 2012 4:47 PM

like pretty pretty pretty pleeaase??

BY THE WAY
        any of you english rookies who havn’t got the message, CHECK THIS OUT

xoxo

• dandylioness June 29th, 2012 5:53 PM

i WISH i could be at this- I used to live in Manchester but now I’m living in Berlin- there’s no way I can make it! Are there any other European/ Germany/Berlin rookies out there??

P.S. If Kate Nash does show up at the london one I will die disappointment! You’re all so lucky!

• back2thepast June 29th, 2012 10:48 PM

Ugghhh I don’t have facebook but I’m leaving on a trip to the UK on Tuesday and I’m staying there for two weeks! OMG I muust have info about thisssss

• Tyknos93 June 29th, 2012 3:22 PM

It all looks so fun I could die.

I wish there was stuff in Atlanta/Georgia/THE SOUTH. poo-poo.

• caro nation June 29th, 2012 3:50 PM

We have stores and festivals! I wrote you long list of stores and venues and whatnot on the Ooga Booga article.

We Atlantans need to stick together.

Stuff happens down here, really.

• Tavi June 30th, 2012 12:59 AM

I would love to do a road trip down south! Know that we chose the cities from the demographics survey we had a couple months ago. But seriously, exploring the south and southwest especially is a sorta dreeeeeam of mine, and it’d be rad to meet all you guys too. Hopefully we can do this again somehow and change up the route.

• TheAwesomePossum June 30th, 2012 1:19 PM

Come to Florida! There are repetitive looking houses and palm trees and blue skies and C. Madeleine’s! (aka the best vintage store ever. It’s ridiculously expensive but it’s like an incredibly well curated museum of 20th century clothing) Oh, and lots of what I imagine to be creepy people in cartoon character costumes at theme parks!

• Tyknos93 July 1st, 2012 4:14 PM

I didn’t mean to sound all naggy. Like Caro Nation said, there’s tons of stuff to do. We’d love to have you guys down here too!!!

• EmilyJn June 29th, 2012 3:23 PM

This makes me very excited for our London Rookie meet up in two weeks! (could we submit a post like this about it?)

• Calla_Lily June 29th, 2012 3:25 PM

Glad you guys are having so much fun! I feel like shit, cause I live like 2 hours away from Chicago (and Ann Arbor for that matter) and I can’t make either cause I can’t get a freakin RIDE! sadface.

• Laia June 29th, 2012 3:25 PM

BEST EVER. BRINGIN MAGIC TO THE WORLD.

I <3<3LOVE<3<3 YOU ALL.

• Libby June 29th, 2012 3:26 PM

This is brilliant!
    There’s a meet-up in London for us British Rookies but my mother won’t let me go because apparently “no one will turn up” and I’ll be “alone in Hyde Park”. So living vicariously through this.

• isobele June 29th, 2012 6:19 PM

Where abouts in the UK are you from? :)

• witchbaby June 29th, 2012 3:28 PM

WHY DO I LIVE IN ENGLAND. WHYYYYYYYY.

• Marie June 29th, 2012 3:31 PM

“and then my heart died and was reincarnated as one the size of a quadruple cheeseburger that got ketchup squirted on it in a smiley face.”

I LOVE YOU TAVIBOO

• Aurora June 29th, 2012 3:33 PM

I wish there was stuff in Florida or Georgia! Y’all should do this every summer, and give the south some love next time! I wish I could be there, you guys are some of my biggest role models <3

• caro nation June 29th, 2012 3:47 PM

……….. Can I swear?

Because I’m mad.

FUCK.

Sorry. I’m acting like you ladies are the monarchs of a teenage imperial cult.

A NOMADIC teenage imperial cult.

Tavi would make a KICKASS Pharaoh/Emperor.

That would be cool.

But then I would never be enlightened. Because I’m STUCK here in the SOUTHEAST.

…..WITH NO SPIRITUAL GUIDANCE, YOU GUYS.

NONE.

FUCK.

• guiltfreedonut June 29th, 2012 3:52 PM

I had the best time meeting with all of you in New York! I was super nervous but everyone was so friendly.

Tavi: Sorry for being really creepy with the whole book signing. I’m kind of mortified. But we’re still twinzz for lyf, right? PS. Loved the “yolo.”

Petra: Thanks for taking a photo with me because how cool is it to be in a photo with your fave photographer? Still dying.

Anaheed: Why are you Literally The Coolest Person Ever? I’m so glad you’re going to do another “Up All Night” and I may just have to hang out at iHop more often now.

Amy Rose: You were so freakin’ friendly and your flower crown was INCREDIBLE.

Emma: Thanks for introducing me to everyone! And sorry to post the photo where your eyes are closed but you look super pretty anyways :).

I LOVE ROOKIE. I’m attempting to make one of the Rookie friendship bracelets pictured above this weekend!

Oh, and I wanted to post my blog on here because I’m just that nerdy but I got all nervous that if you were going to read it it had to be a good post so I linked it to one of my favorite posts. (Oh my god I need to stop talking, like now.)

• moonchild June 29th, 2012 4:31 PM

I like this post! Overalls are totes cool :) And I think it was rude that the writer of that article took a picture of a woman’s butt to put as a graphic. I mean, that woman’s butt PROBABLY doesn’t want to be there. (on the website, not on the woman lolz)

Love,
      Gwen

• anindieeducation June 29th, 2012 3:56 PM

I am so jelly, please come to England, we need some more Rookie to brighten up the land of the grey.

anindieeducation.blogspot.co.uk

• guiltfreedonut June 29th, 2012 4:03 PM

Oh, and Jenny: Your reading was so good I got CHILLS.

• pppiaa June 29th, 2012 4:10 PM

I just recently got into the habit of waiting for 3:02, 7:02, and 11:02 to read the new Rookie article and I’m just here to add to the immense love everyone has for you guys.

I wish I lived up north instead of down in the swamp full of gnats that is Miami,Florida because it looks like you guys have so much fun just being girls in the best way possible.

:-)

• Dayzee June 29th, 2012 4:10 PM

I hate you all because I’m jealous.

• Jessica Vixenelle June 29th, 2012 4:14 PM

I am dying over how lovely and stylish all of the readers are! I am crossing my fingers to still be able to make it to the LA meet up!

• superkat June 29th, 2012 4:20 PM

Us Canadians need some love too .. I am so jealous of you all!

• samk June 30th, 2012 4:38 PM

Yes, I agree!! I know you guys can’t go EVERYWHERE…but come to Canada!! PLEASE??!!!

• Petra June 29th, 2012 4:24 PM

I love that you went Carey, Ohio. I grew up in a house in the woods just outside of that town. I’ve heard a few times that it has the most churches per capita, as well as the most practicing witches per capita.

• Montgomery June 29th, 2012 4:28 PM

So amazing. That’s all I can say. I went to the Ann Arbor one and to say it was hot is an understatement. I have lupus and the sun is so bad for me but I was having so much fun I barely even noticed. Rookie Mag makes me feel all good inside and I am honored to have met all of the girls.

• Blou June 29th, 2012 4:28 PM

Tour looks so amazing! I really want to go to the Seattle meet up, but have a class that day that won’t end untill late afternoon. How long are you guys planning on staying at the Vera Project? I hope I can at least drop by!

• Alexia S June 29th, 2012 4:34 PM

Oh my goodness, I am so, so thrilled to have met you all in columbus! I thought it would be weird because I was a bit older, but I am literally so proud of how much you inspire people of all ages and all backgrounds. It is obvious how hard you all work and it has absolutely payed off.

I totally want to work towards and live in a society where we can all be more open and honest about equality, sexuality and gender and and feel not just comfortable, but thrilled with who we are as individuals. I think you all perpetuate those ideas as a huge source of shared perspectives. So THANK YOU Rookie creators, editors, contributors and readers for being brave and honest and for just, you know, being you.

Oh, and um, Anaheed? You are SUCH an amazing woman. Thank you for being so awesome and such a great role model. I left hugely inspired and motivated to keep working towards doing amazing things in my own life!

• Anaheed June 29th, 2012 7:53 PM

Alexia! I loved talking to you! And I’m SO excited about this new ~phase of your life~. GOOD LUCK and ENJOY IT SO MUCH.

• Kathryn June 29th, 2012 4:34 PM

I am SO jealous! If you are watching Moonrise Kingdom at the Omaha stop and feel a breeze but the windows are shut… that is my soul.

• mayaautumn June 29th, 2012 4:46 PM

woah yeah yay woah.
    amazing.
    wish i could be there so much right now :( hey-ho.
    it just looks like so much fun and I WANNA BE THERE!!!!!!
    oh well, there’s always next year!??

• linnea June 29th, 2012 5:04 PM

So.. this roadtrip seems like it’s FULL OF AWESOMENESS!!! And I am kinda (definitely!) wondering when/if (youhafftooo) you’ll cross the big blue sea and come to Sweden? Tavi you’ve got Norwegian roots.. come over to Europe bring your awesome girls and hang out with us cool peeps here in ye ole candinavia! ;)

Rookie is The best spot on the internet out of all the things that are out there. Oh yes, I said it. :)

Love & Kärlek from me!

• linnea June 29th, 2012 5:06 PM

Haha oops.. Candinavia xD Maybe my swedish sweet tooth is showing off a bit too much? It should of course be Scandinavia. Piis Aut!

• TamponAngel June 29th, 2012 5:11 PM

Ahh! This looked like soo much fun. I actually was going to go visit y’all at the New York stop (I live in the marvelous city of Albany) but I couldn’t get my mom to drive me so I tried to hitch hike. WEIRDEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE. I have officially learned to not hitch hike EVER AGAIN because I will totally get screwed over again.
    Meh.
    Anywho, I really enjoy the poop graffiti cuz hey I like poop (then again who the hell doesn’t like poop). I actually have a banner in my room that says “Poop”.
    i hope the rest of your trip is as awesome of that of Beavis and Butthead’s in “Do America”

Roma
    (Sartorial Tampon Queen)

• guiltfreedonut June 29th, 2012 5:51 PM

Oh my goodness. Hitchhiking!? Intense. Maybe Grease Lightnin’ would’ve picked you up?

• KinuKinu June 29th, 2012 5:18 PM

All of the rookie readers look like awesome people to hang out with.I’M SO JEALOUS OF ALL OF YOU.I wish I could go.

• ArtemisCadeau June 29th, 2012 5:38 PM

I’m so envious of all the american Rookie fans for actually getting a chance to see the Rookie Crew.
    Next summer, You should make a Europe version including a Scandinavia visit so there’ll be a chance of you stopping by Denmark PLEASE!

// LOVE KIRA, a scandinavian fan ♥❀

• Peanutpug June 29th, 2012 5:47 PM

This looks like it was the best fun. I love in Ireland but I wish I could have been there!

• manic depressive dream girl June 29th, 2012 5:50 PM

oh lord. WHY is this not happening where I live and WHY do i have to work when it is happening? because i would totes road trip TO the road trip.

oh, that’s right. because i would probably faint and die from all the awesomeness. and that would be mildly embarrassing.

• gogobionicgirl June 29th, 2012 5:51 PM

This road trip looks so cool!I love looking at all the twitter updates!

• gogobionicgirl June 29th, 2012 5:51 PM

Oh yes, and next time come to TEXAS!

-ambar

• ladyjenna June 29th, 2012 6:52 PM

YESYESYES, if you do go to Austin, it is the most Rookie-ish area. I will walk there if I have to.

P.S. Can someone share a picture of Anaheed so we can see what she looks like?

Just realized how creeperish this sounds.

• Ben June 29th, 2012 5:58 PM

I’m so SO exited to meet you all in Portland! It’s really cool te see what you all are doing and I love reading about it! Also I recognized Charlotte and was really exited because we both follow each other and comment on our blogs! I’m exited to see the pictures you took at the shrine, but why do we have to wait for August?

• Dylan June 29th, 2012 6:01 PM

OPE, HERE IT COMES, I’M TEARING, I’m at work supposed to be working on things but my boss is out of the room so here come tearlings

• isobele June 29th, 2012 6:16 PM

This makes me so happy! Its really lovely to see so many awesome people in one place. It kinda sucks that im in the uk, but you guys look so cool I dont even care. And Knarf? hilarious XD It reminded me of the time me and my friends were on a school trip in Germany, and whilst on a cable car ride we were yelled at by several german kids shouting ‘MENGO’ and holding up the spock hand sign. I still have no explanation for this

• JessicaMae June 29th, 2012 6:36 PM

Please please PLEAAAAAAAAAASE come to Georgia :((((((((((

• nice-etc.com June 29th, 2012 6:39 PM

tavi! a friend just emailed me to say that she spotted my Wild Heart banner on your post..not only on your post I should say, but in your tour van! How awesome! You’ve made made my day. Maybe you remember how I mentioned that I’d like to get involved with Rookie at some point (I was planning on soon)..shortly after we talked, totally out of the blue, I got sick and now I need a kidney, ha! not tryin to be a bummer but trying to say that it’s so cool you took your banner on this trip because now I am a part of Rookie in a little fun way. So cool. Also, last year this same time my bf and I did a road trip from here, Chicago, to SF and then LA. so yeah I was in SLC on 4th of July last year, just about where you are! Glad you’re all having a blast! xo

• ladyjenna June 29th, 2012 6:53 PM

Oh dear a KIDNEY! That is no laughing matter

• Tavi June 30th, 2012 1:01 AM

OH gosh Caitlin, I was worried when I saw that update on your Etsy page! It’s so nice to hear from you! I will get back in touch! And add your credit to this post!

• Alexism June 29th, 2012 6:43 PM

Oh pretty please come to Toronto next summer mayhaps? Pretty please with a maraschino cherry on top!

• ladyjenna June 29th, 2012 6:55 PM

Or go to Buffalo!! Then the Cookies (canadian rookies) can come too.

• Simone H. June 29th, 2012 6:49 PM

I’ve been secretly reading Rookie for a while now, never daring to comment (or maybe just too lazy to register) and I’m sooo jealous !! It seems so awesome, everyone seems so awesome and why don’t I live in America ?! I must be the only Belgian reader ! It’s not like you’re ever going here to come here ! But if you go to England someday, I’ll definitely beg my parents KISSING THEIR FEET CRYING ON MY KNEES (not sure if it will work, though).

• sequoia June 29th, 2012 7:13 PM

aldsjflksdjflsj!!!!!!!
    I am so f-ing excited to meet up with you gals in portland!!!

• skydivingseagull June 29th, 2012 7:19 PM

GOOD GOD, CAN IT PLEASE JUST BE THE MIDDLE OF JULY ALREADY, THE WAIT IS KILLING ME!

• donovan June 29th, 2012 7:21 PM

I shall sit here and wallow, for you are coming no where close to the suburban wasteland that is Fairfax, Virginia. ;~;

• firewalkwithme June 29th, 2012 7:21 PM

Why why WHY do I live in Finland?! Finland is all crappy because we don’t have anyone like the Rookie folks who are all awesome and do fun stuff like road trips and who would actually be worth abandoning my usual isolate-myself-from-the-real-world and avoid-social-situations mentality. Reading the post was great fun though, I think I’ll make my own imaginary road trip.

• Elizabete June 30th, 2012 4:39 AM

Oh, come on Finland is awesome! You have soo many stylish people, hel-looks, Moomin world, lots of fancy goth shops, super cafes and just generally Helsinki rocks – have been there twice.

• June 29th, 2012 7:32 PM

Hey Rookies,
    It was awesome to meet you all at littlefields :)
    Tavi: You are such a huge inspiration to me and you were so unbelievably sweet! You are awesome, I Love you (not in a creepy way)
    Amy Rose: You rule!!!! It was awesome when we started saying the same things, LOL! Your outfit was awesome and it was so great to meet someone so confident and happy
    Anaheed: You were so sweet and welcoming from the second I walked in, it was great to meet you
    Petra: You were just as gorgeous in person as you are online ;) It was so cool to meet you
    And last but not least I want to say it was literally the coolest thing ever!!! I met my idols, listened to one of my favorite bands, ate delicious cupcakes and met tons of kindred spirits!! Thank you for everything Rookie
    sorry this is so long…..

• June 29th, 2012 7:44 PM

I just realized that I forgot to mention Hazel, so here goes:
      Hazel: Unfortunetlly we didn’t get to talk much but I loved your outfit and the piece you read ;)

• Monica June 29th, 2012 7:40 PM

I wish I was less shy so I could muster up the guts to go to the meet up near my city! Oh well, regardless, I hope you all are having fun :)

• June 29th, 2012 7:55 PM

you should go its worth it, trust me

• bethleeroth June 29th, 2012 7:42 PM

I’m just going to go ahead and add to the cacophony of sad Georgians pleading PLEASE come to the southeast next time!

• Sea goddess June 29th, 2012 7:47 PM

aweee this is soooo RAD!
    im so jellly of everyone who got to go!!
    <3!

• Whatsername June 29th, 2012 7:47 PM

SOO MUCH JEALOUSY. I wanted to go to the New York meetup so bad but I was busy that day :C
    Loving the fluffy blue hair in the back of that one group photo. And holy shit Tavi you look like a freaky ghost or something in the picture of the hotel hallway, it’s fucking awesome.

• FlorenceEyre June 29th, 2012 7:56 PM

OOMMMMGGG i dont know what to say

Oh god! I just came home from Saki and I have to say that it was just amazing! Everybody was really friendly, music & zines were awesome and I cant wait for book!

Tavi and Hazel and Alice and Meagan and everybody else: THANK YOU SO MUCH that I coul take part on such incredible, perfect and everything!

Slovak Dora

• FlorenceEyre June 29th, 2012 8:08 PM

And, by the way, what was the name of that newspaper which gave us that papers to fill?
      sorry for such stupid question

• Anaheed June 29th, 2012 10:47 PM

It was Chicago Magazine.

• FlorenceEyre June 29th, 2012 11:33 PM

Thank you really much!

• TessAnnesley June 29th, 2012 8:31 PM

SO CAN I JUST BE BEST FRIENDS WITH ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE WHO READS ROOKIE (AND WHO CAME TO THESE MEETUPS) OR

OMG YOU GUYS
    ISABELLA’S DAD (makes my heart sing becuase my dad would do that for me too, yay for amazing dads)
    ICECREAM
    ZINES
    ARCADE GAMES
    I LOVE ALL OF YOU

also Tavi’s swimmers are just like mine.
    d-e-a-d.
    bye back in my cage now

• smfitz12 June 29th, 2012 8:32 PM

Ugh Rookie, ugh, ew, ugh i love you guys so much and i’m going to reread this a few more times and pretend I’m part of the group. Tavi, ugh, you. ugh.

• Tara June 29th, 2012 8:47 PM

this was so wonderful to read! the rookie road trip is going along magically. reading about it is making me want to road trip in the near future. also all the readers are incredibly cool. I can’t wait till you come over here to LA. it’ll be swell.

• keezey June 29th, 2012 8:49 PM

Ahhhh!!! I’m so jealous! Why can’t you guys come to Atlanta?

• Leana June 29th, 2012 8:56 PM

Hey Tavi, Its Leana, I’m the awkward chick that gave you the zine All Good Things Have Names. Just wanted to know what you think of it!

I had a lot of fun at the New York meet up, I met a bunch of cool people. Glad to see you guys are safe and having fun :3

• Eryn June 29th, 2012 9:25 PM

For my birthday, which is in a week, I am pleaaadddiiiinnng for a trip to Seattle to meet up with you guys AND I REALLY HOPE MY DREAMS COME TRUE cause I’ve already bought you guys a present and I just love you so much more than I can bare and I REALLY am hoping to see you in Seattle, this all looks like so much fun and I’d love to decorate headbands/adorn crowns with you all because I LOVE YOU.
    That was one sentence.

• MadelinelovesLouReed June 29th, 2012 9:25 PM

ROOKIEMAG, YOU’RE COMPLETELY IGNORING THE SOUTH, AND DON’T IT MAKE MY BLUE EYES GREEN? (You know, like, intense, drool-inducing jealousy, not some crazy-ass mutation) Please, please, PLEASE come to the south! Like, at least Atlanta! I could totes make Atlanta. Or Asheville. Or maybe just my microscopic village of Cateechee, South Carolina. Please? You all could sleep on my floor and we could take turns reciting lines from Heathers and listen to Blue and Electric Warrior and talk about how cute Tom Hanks is in Big. Pretty please? I LOURVE ROOKIE.

• maddie June 30th, 2012 2:00 AM

I feel you, pal! I live in Georgia! An itty bitty tiny town right smack dab in the middle of Georgia!

• juliette June 29th, 2012 9:49 PM

This looks so amazing, I wish I was in the US right nooow!
    I particularly enjoyed your encounter with the confused/sympathetic lady at Outback

• Sssophiabh June 29th, 2012 9:51 PM

Ahhh ok so I had the best time at the Brooklyn meet up! It was so amazing to get to meet so many cool rookie readers (in amazing outfits) since none of my friends really read it. This seriously needs to happen again next summer cause it was da BOMB!! (and freaking out cause my photo’s on here)

• Jacklyn June 29th, 2012 10:06 PM

UUUGGGGHHH! I totally wish I could have come to Ann Arbor! That’s soooo close to me. But sadly I live on the Canadian side of things and you need a “passport” to cross the border or something like that. Damn…

• Adrienne June 29th, 2012 10:28 PM

I’m praying that I will be available to meet up with you guys in san francisco!!!! You guys seem so darn awesome, but I’m super shy so that’s kinda awkward. http://theaverageasiangirl.blogspot.com

• Anaheed June 29th, 2012 10:45 PM

Please come! Shy people welcome.

• back2thepast June 29th, 2012 11:07 PM

Ahhh I literally cried when I found out that you will be in my city TWO DAYS after I leave for Europe for eight weeks. My heart hurts so bad right now!!!! Is the RookieReaders meet-up in UK a for reallzz thang?? Cuz if it is I will drop to my knees and praise tha Lord

• youarebananas June 29th, 2012 11:09 PM

ah this looks so amazing! i really wanted to make the philly meetup but i was camp-counselor-ing all day…totesss there in spirit though

• The Dress Collector June 29th, 2012 11:22 PM

So jellin of the people who went! Rochester has a lot to offer (hint hint wink wink)

• neener June 29th, 2012 11:45 PM

Hey Rookie Gals!
    I really wanted to come to the Columbus meetup and I made a mix CD for you guys! However, I was unable to go (boooooo) , is there any way I can still send it to you?

• Ellie June 29th, 2012 11:55 PM

So upset I missed the Chicago shop because of SUMMER SCHOOL. Will you guys do this again next year? :)

• Anaheed June 30th, 2012 12:52 AM

We have no idea if we’ll be able to, but we’d like to!

• kirsten June 30th, 2012 12:01 AM

i like how when you roll over the first picture, there’s a tag that says “bitchfacevan”. best. so excited for you guys to come to seattle!!

• hatchbuddy June 30th, 2012 12:14 AM

Aw, I wish I could have gone to one, this looks wonderful!

• Lulu June 30th, 2012 12:28 AM

Aussie Rookies – WE NEED TO DO A MEET UP!!! I feel so islandy :\

• paige.xo June 30th, 2012 11:53 AM

I could totally do an Aussie meet up. I’m from New Zealand, but I’m sure I could hitch a plane across the ditch and muster up some family to stay with. ;)
      Seriously, some one organise it and I’ll be there. I love rookie. Its literally the best thing ever.

• dramallama July 3rd, 2012 12:24 PM

do it- I would totally go :) I need to know more aussie rookies :(

• Gabriela S. June 30th, 2012 1:35 AM

Soooo jelz of all these girls! Come to Manila next year!!!

• maddie June 30th, 2012 1:59 AM

eeeek! Even though you all aren’t coming through Georgia, reading this gave me the warm fuzzy feeling as if I was actually there! Please continue to keep all of us trapped in the south updated! What you’re doing is fantastic.

• whodatgal June 30th, 2012 3:22 AM

Ugh i am so superduper JEL. mndkjvklfvd and I feel so outta the ROOKIE community. meh. BUM

THIS LOOKED SO AWESOME BY THE WAY! PLEASE CONTINUE WITH THE INTENSIVE UPDATES. IS THERE A VIDEO HMMM? ;)

And to Lulu: can we do this famous Aussie meet up at christmas time?! That would be awesome. Because I go every 4 years to see ALL of my relatives and I’m going this year for a month. And I’m so excited to bring my polaroid AND TAKE UNDERWAter (under da sea under da sea) PHOTOS and all the settings will be so different to here in dismal London and then we can submit photos TO ROOKIE!! muahahahaha. i live in England, I know what islandy feels like :’(

• Devon Wolf Sings June 30th, 2012 3:22 AM

Uhghguewuhgjavrdsg I’m moving to Boise in September but right now I’m five hours awayyyyyyyyy and this makes me so sad. Gah. This looks like such a blast.

• Levon June 30th, 2012 3:22 AM

Literally every one in every photo is so fashionable, I can’t stand it.

• Izzie June 30th, 2012 3:50 AM

Worst time to be English.

• whisperedglasswords June 30th, 2012 5:01 AM

You look like you’re all having so much fun! I’m jealous of the people who get to go to the meetups though….and currently disappointed. You guys stop in LA a mere week before I take my trip there! Life can be rather unfair. -_- Wish you guys could have been able to stop in Hawaii (where I live)! But, I also understand you probably don’t have the funds to do so. Curses to living in the most remote island in the world! I really wish there was a group of Rookies here so we could do a sort of island-hopping get together thing! But that’s probably not quite as feasible as I might wish either, considering we have no Rookie staff living here (to my knowledge anyways). Sigh….

Well, have fun on the rest of the trip you guys! Maybe one year my wish of you visiting Hawaii will be granted! *fingers crossed*

• whisperedglasswords June 30th, 2012 5:02 AM

*Islands. Plural. :P

• Pixie June 30th, 2012 6:40 AM

the last pic – ya lookin’ like lad from The Exorcist!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Emma S. June 30th, 2012 8:41 AM

Angela Chase Song of Freedom 4 Ever. Love love love you guys. xoxo

• Lucille June 30th, 2012 8:44 AM

oiewurmoiv gzewomnxcizrewocn zrwtcomweruzxocmezwcpontz rnwoztemqzcimnuvzwncoizexmorueqcmt I’m gonna cry now in the corner of my room!Why am I not there?!??!??! I’m jealous now!
    Hope you all are having lots of fun! thank you for posting all these pictures, to bring us little spirit of rookie roadtrip!
    xo, L.

• ohmytuesday June 30th, 2012 8:46 AM

I’m so jealous; any chance you guys will have an Asia tour? ): Come to Singapore!!!

• Nikilodeon June 30th, 2012 10:02 AM

omahgawd petra, lovin the gingham bra top! where did you get it??

• paige.xo June 30th, 2012 11:25 AM

I want to go! I am so jealous. You guys all look so cool and pretty and interesting and mature! But sadly, I’m stuck in the middle of winter on the other side of the world, being all tragic and stuff. Sigh. Have fun for me

• Lois June 30th, 2012 11:32 AM

Oh my god, I am so jealous! You guys looked like you had so much fun! You have to come to England ok?!

• maren June 30th, 2012 11:59 AM

there is a german musician who calls himself knarf rellöm (that’s his name spelled backwards, wow!!). maybe it was him who signed the card.

• jennbx June 30th, 2012 12:24 PM

I love all these recaps! Will you guys be posting the LA schedule anytime soon?

• KittyBatGirl June 30th, 2012 12:58 PM

Since I have very few friends (because I have cats and books to keep me company, usually) I’ll be showing up at the San Francisco meet up by myself. Even though social situations make me uncomfortable, I can’t tell you how excited I am to meet you guys and fellow Rookie readers!!! In other words, my excitement for the meet up totally trumps my fear of being socially awkward.

• TheAwesomePossum June 30th, 2012 1:50 PM

This is making me cry because there is no way I can come to any of these. It just looks so amazing!

• DElle June 30th, 2012 3:03 PM

I wanna write for you guys more than I want pancakes right now (a LOT); are you still reviewing submissions while you’re on the road?

• Anaheed June 30th, 2012 8:07 PM

I don’t have time while we’re traveling, but I’ll pick it back up when we get back home.

• Annie92 June 30th, 2012 3:24 PM

THIS IS THE BEST ROOKIE POST EVER!
    wish I could go…

• bellagirl June 30th, 2012 3:49 PM

This sounds like it’s been amazing! If only you could come to Hawaii

• rock-itpop June 30th, 2012 5:08 PM

Oh man. That looks like a ridiculous amount of fun. I really wish you guys were coming up to Alberta during this road trip, I’d lovelovelove to meet Tavi and the rest of the Rookie gang.

• John June 30th, 2012 5:45 PM

For the Omaha meet-up on Monday, I just wanted to let you girls know that Lisa’s Radial Cafe is like an hour’s walk away from Film Streams. Just trying to help since the weather here is so humid

• Unicourtney June 30th, 2012 5:50 PM

eek can’t wait for you gals to come to LA!

• mar9ar3t June 30th, 2012 6:29 PM

Gaaah!!! This looks like the absolute best thing ever!!!! I want to go hang out with you guys so bad! I’m going to go cry because I live in stupid new england.

• Jenn July 1st, 2012 4:08 PM

Me too! Hopefully next summer they’ll come? I mean there’s lots of cool things in New England for cool people to enjoy it’s just getting the cool people to get up here!

• rebasaurusbex June 30th, 2012 7:30 PM

It was so great to meet you guys at Saki yesterday I hope the buttons I made were to your liking! Also, I lost my button maker (heartbreaking) so if you saw it anywhere lemme know. Tavi- my parents just about killed me when I got home for not giving you their love because they are HUGE fans of yours and now they are standing over my shoulder making me tell you guys to turn up 93.1 fm in the van! (they happen to run/DJ on that station…and now you know how i know annie c). when you told me you cried to taylor swift and listen to the dream girls soundtrack i practically whizzed my pants because of how real and totally unashamed you were – something i sincerely respected and admired of you since you didn’t even try to be this snobbish “hipster” (HOLD AWN since when did that word start meaning a snotty too-cool-for-school person with a handlebar mustache and an instagram and not a style of children’s fruit-of-the-loom underpants?? because i still identify hipsters as undies that gave me wedgies all through 3rd grade) but a real live HUMAN! because yes i like to listen to records and shop at thrift stores and wear my grandmother’s old pajamas as nightwear but DAMMIT GIRL’S GOTTA JAM AND TAYTAY AND BEY UNDERSTAND THAT EVEN WHEN MY FRIENDS AND MOTHER DON’T. now im going to a party and going to blast LISTEN in front of everyone and when all the dirty glares get fixed on me i’ll yell TAVI UNDERSTANDS MY NEEDS. so thank you. the next time your at a concert let me know! theres a shocking lack of teens at most backstage functions & we have loads to talk about.

-becca, with luhv

• Tavi June 30th, 2012 8:30 PM

NO EXACTLY THANK YOU. i don’t want to have any guilty pleasures, if something makes me happy then it’s good enough for me and should be good enough for anyone who wants to be a friend and not a snub! (unless it’s like, harmful, or drugz, but we’re talking about POP MUSIC.) also thank you for the cry against “hipster”‘s appropriation by everyone when it was only ever meant to be undies.
      tell your parents thank you! and go blast Listen at your party and i will hear your ‘rents on the radio! and thank you a TON for the buttons, we all love them!! meeting you and speaking with you was a delight.

• rebasaurusbex July 1st, 2012 11:24 AM

YOU ARE READING MY MIND. nowadays if someone ever really uses the word hipster they mean it in a weird and condescending tone like “oh what so you’re like hiiipppstterrr now?” (especially on the north shore. gag me soccer moms) or if people do perceive you to be that pair of undies and all of a sudden you show up to school in a sweatshirt and flipflops society freaks out and unsubtly yells at you that you cannot do that because that is not who you are (to them) so then you feel like you have to be perfect everyday to keep that reputation but everyone knows that flipflops are comfortable and sweatshirts are warm and like i said, HIPSTERS GIVE YOU WEDGIES. it’s like it’s more socially acceptable for those kids to do drugs than for them to acknowledge justin bieber’s existence (although to many shrieking tweenagers, he is a drug) and justin bieber is probably a very nice young man that obviously just wants to be my boyfriend so why is it shameful to not hate him? and those people who take pride in their condescending tones of hipness-judging probably only fart in sealable plastic bags and order white rice at an all-you-can-eat asian buffet when people like us will dine on all the wonderous noodles and potstickers galore and not have wedgies. obviously i strongly dislike wedgies. i won’t rant your ear off anymore you guys deserve to enjoy this groovy time together that i’ll be gazing at from afar all the while! thank you for everything!

• Tavi July 1st, 2012 7:09 PM

best paragraph ever

• July 1st, 2012 7:13 PM

thank you for saying EXACTLY what I’m thinking

• FlorenceEyre June 30th, 2012 8:52 PM

Message for Petra: Happy namesday from Slovakia (it has been already yesterday, sorry!)!!!!!! Keep on making so beautiful photos!

Slovakian Dora
    PS: I know that inthe USA you don`t celebrate it, but in Slovakia we do :)

• Isabellla June 30th, 2012 11:53 PM

plz come to Australia so that i can hug you all and make you vegan brownies! (✿◠‿◠)

• courtneyloveskurt July 1st, 2012 5:40 AM

You are getting verrrry sleepy. You want to take another road trip. You want this road trip to make a stop in Missouri, preferably St. Louis, though I will accept Kansas City. This is all you desire, because you know that there is someone there that you want to meet. When I clap my hands three times you will make this come true.
    *CLAP CLAP CLAP*
    Yesssssssssssssssssss.

• bohemianlady_ July 1st, 2012 8:42 AM

Woah! Too bad almost no-one in Italy ever organizes something like this ~ I don’t usually like to meet people /especially the ones I don’t already know/, but knowing that you all are so open towards everyone’s uniqueness I would feel like at home while talking/joking/playing with you. Does any Rookie fan live at Winchester? I’m going to attend the Winchester College of Boys this Summer for two weeks /fyi: I’m a female/. It would be just so great to meet. Uh, and I would love to get Rookie penpals, of course ~

• Veganpop July 1st, 2012 11:22 AM

Thank you for calling Ohio beautiful! I was worried that you’d be bored by it when you said you were coming to Columbus.
    Also, I wish I could’ve gone! I live in Cincinnati and didn’t have a ride!

• Stienz July 1st, 2012 1:42 PM

You guys couldn’t steal a plane and fly over to South Africa? As far as I know it’s just me… But there are also lions and the big 5 and stuff?
    I love everything you’re doing:)

• leonie July 1st, 2012 3:20 PM

you have to come to europe sometime, it’s so disappointing that i was in the us last summer and not now (i would come again, but tell this my parents…)

• Franckswife July 2nd, 2012 2:43 PM

J’ai vu sur l’article annonçant le road trip qu’il y avait une ou deux françaises qui souhaitait organiser une rencontre à Paris ! Je vais tout de suite leur proposer de créer un groupe Facebook nous aussi ! :)

RASSEMBLONS LES LECTEURS FRANCAIS DE ROOKIE ♥

• Franckswife July 3rd, 2012 6:07 AM

I saw in the first post about the road trip other french readers, and they talk about creating a facebook group as the british readers did, so here it is : https://www.facebook.com/groups/253662214743905/ ! Come, come, I feel lonely…

• leonie July 3rd, 2012 7:50 AM

i would join you, but i have no facebook and my french is très terrible (i’m living in the german part of switzerland and learning french in school – during the lessons i use to sleep…) sorry…

• Jenn July 1st, 2012 4:03 PM

Hey Tavi! So jealous of all the Rookie readers that get to meet you and fabulous gang and each other and do all the great things you’re all doing! But PLEASE enlighten me where did you get that perfect black swimsuit? I need it in my life (hopefully for me it’s not vintage ah)

• Tavi July 1st, 2012 7:07 PM

It’s my sister’s! She got it at Delia*s.

• clairem July 1st, 2012 5:20 PM

crying about how awesome this post is all the way from ireland. wish i could go, this looks amazing!

• July 1st, 2012 9:24 PM

Tavi:where did you get that gorgeous red and white gingam dress?

• Tavi July 1st, 2012 10:14 PM

my friend grew out of it and gave it to me, but the tag says it’s H&M!

• July 1st, 2012 10:44 PM

cool thanks ;)
        It was awesome to meet you on Monday at Littlefields, you are such a huge inspiapration to me and I just wanted to thank you for creating this magazine and just inspiring me everyday, thank you so much :):)

• infinitely16 July 1st, 2012 9:37 PM

you guys are actually the coolest people, i want to live your lives

• skylerpaige July 1st, 2012 10:50 PM

My friend and I went to the chicago meetup at saki, and no one talked to us or welcomed us, we didn’t get what we were supposed to do and everyone was already cutting magazines. We awkwardly looked at records for a few and enjoyed the shannon and the clams over the radio before taking off…remember to greet people and make them feel a little less awkward, or chances are they’ll do what we did and leave. Maybe it was cause we’re in our mid twenties and not our teens? I don’t know, but I was bummed. I read your mag daily and enjoy the articles, etc even as an adult!

• Anaheed July 1st, 2012 11:10 PM

I’m so sorry this happened! I tried to greet everyone who walked in — I must’ve been wrapped up with something/someone else when you entered. I wish you’d come up and said something, but I get that that’s not always the most comfortable thing to do. Again, sorry sorry.

• skylerpaige July 2nd, 2012 1:25 PM

No worries..just a suggestion for future meetups. Seemed like everyone was having a good time…we tried to ask a few people what was up but I think they were confused store employees. Ah well, next time!

• SarahCat July 2nd, 2012 12:19 AM

This looks like the absolute best time that could ever be experienced! To go to a Rookie Roadtrip meetup would be a dream. But alas… Canada.

• ladyserendipity July 2nd, 2012 8:13 AM

This looks so awesome, I hate living in the U.K ¬.¬

• ale July 2nd, 2012 12:33 PM

oh how i wish i could be apart of the festivities. i’m so glad everyone is having a good time; you all rule.

• bellaugly July 2nd, 2012 12:57 PM

cannot believe you girls were right around the corner from my apartment (the record shop in Philadelphia) and I didn’t know about it! I always pee in that bathroom stall at Barnes & Noble (“poop spelled backwards is poop!”) so at least there is some consolation.

• Sharon August 9th, 2012 3:59 PM

there really has to be another philly-rookie meetup soon SIGH

• RebucaDiBecco July 2nd, 2012 2:27 PM

I went to the Philly meet up and it was so great! Everyone was just really happy to be there and no one was a snob. I wish I would’ve met such a friendly group of intelligent, weird, extremely relatable girls when I was younger. I’m 22 and it would’ve helped so much to know there was this community of girls who encouraged and praised individuality like this. I hope every girl who needs it gets a chance to discover Rookie because it’s so inspiring! Thanks!

/gush

• tiffy July 2nd, 2012 2:30 PM

guhhh everything looks so fun. i am a little bit impressed by the amount of style all crammed into one space! wish i could have joined (but i think i’m a bit too old?? ha). safe travels! xx

• Franckswife July 2nd, 2012 2:34 PM

Penpal thing, penpal thing, quick, quiiiiiick !

• tinyglasstears July 2nd, 2012 2:42 PM

I’m so excited!!! I can’t wait for L.A. which will be MANY KINDS OF AWESOME i’m sure :)

• Kaleidoscopeeyes July 2nd, 2012 11:37 PM

How to go be likable and interesting and not socially awkward at events hosted by totally cool people.
    Oh shit this isn’t google.

• maddzwx July 3rd, 2012 2:53 AM

I desperately want to go, but I feel kind of terriefied to go alone.

• maddzwx July 3rd, 2012 2:54 AM

*Terrified, damn it!

• theflavoulitx July 3rd, 2012 1:18 PM

this is so awesome!! you guys need to come down to DC at some point!!

• jjdactyl July 7th, 2012 9:11 AM

i live in philly, but i was camping when this happened, so i had no idea that you were all in my backyard. what a bummer! it looks like you’re having the best, most awesome time, though. i hope the rest of the trip is just as fantastic. (:

• smashedtiara July 7th, 2012 3:01 PM

awww, i wish i had known about this! it looks like i really missed out on some fun!

• pusupulu July 12th, 2012 4:20 AM

I’m seriously concidering buying a plane ticket and couch surfing my way to your roadtrip to meet you and to feel alive. Next year.

These pictures and everything look so amazing. Meeting ACTUAL REAL LIFE TAVI who showed me the way to the wonderful Rookie-Land and meeting the people who write the most helpful articles and make me feel like there’s a place where I fit perfectly is just.. I can’t believe that THIS is actually HAPPENING somewhere in the world. For a girl from Finland this is just.. impossible.

Stuff like this happens only in America. Where you don’t have public healthcare because you’re worth staying alive only when you’re living the american dream. (And public healthcare is a HUGE step towards socialism…) THAT IS WHAT I THINK ABOUT TO STAY UNENVIOUS of your thrift stores and cool places and high school culture and everything that media makes seem so AMAZING. Thinking of the serious stuff helps me keep my feet in the sky and my head in the stars.

I hope I’m not giving an impression of a crazy person. But to cut a long story short: I’d like you to visit scandinavia. But then again I don’t, because we don’t do roadtrips the way you do them in the states. So I’m sticking to the couch surfing plan.

this comment is such a mess.
    i just really like rookie. like love like.
    it’s a thing that works.
    and helps.
    and helps you understand all this that is happening in your life when you’re seventeen and still almost as clueless as when you were twelve.

• jenelle_ July 30th, 2012 11:55 AM

Aww this makes me truly sad and happy at the same time. When I wanted to be at the SF meetup, I was in LA, and omg…this looks so fun, and inspiring, and happy, oh and it warms my heart! Please tell me this is happening again next year! Also, I’d love to help out wiht any accomodations and tour biz next time as well! DSFlkasdjlfasdl; awesomeness…just pure, awesomenss.

• vvk97 May 31st, 2013 11:36 AM