You Asked It

Gillian Jacobs Is Here to Help (Again)

There were awkward sexual encounters and drunken hookups to address!

Gillian Jacobs Is Here to Help (Again) from Rookie on Vimeo or YouTube.

If you have a question about ANYTHING IN YOUR LIFE for the Rookie staff and friends, please send it to youaskedit@rookiemag.com.

• rosiesayrelax June 7th, 2012 3:08 PM

i wish i could vomit worlds…

Rosie Say Relax

• julie vee June 7th, 2012 3:17 PM

Gillian Jacobs is great. This is my favorite Rookie advice video so far.

• missblack June 7th, 2012 3:36 PM

Hahahaha I love it when she says “feelin’ spicy” it’s so funny :D

Little&Trivial

• puffytoad June 7th, 2012 3:43 PM

So, don’t get drunk around guys who like you because they might take advantage of you in that state. Um, cool.

• Charlotte June 7th, 2012 4:32 PM

uh, i don’t really think that the question that was asked, or the way that gillian answered it were implying any ‘taking advantage’ at all. I think that in the context of the question, both the question-asker and the guyfriend she hooked up with when they were both drunk were both consenting, the question-asker just considers it a bad decision, but a DECISION nevertheless. While i DO take some issue with the whole “don’t get drunk and hook up with guys who you don’t want to date” (because assuming every drunken hookup is going to become a relationship is pretty unrealistic/not everyone wants a relationship from a ‘hookup’, drunk or otherwise), i think that assuming that something about the situation in the question was non-consensual is a pretty serious accusation that is kind of unfair and unwarranted.

• Emilie June 7th, 2012 7:50 PM

I agree with Charlotte.

• puffytoad June 7th, 2012 8:20 PM

I’m not talking about the specific situation the asker was talking about. Gillian went a step further and said that you should generally avoid getting drunk around boys who like you. To me that sounds like a classic victim-blaming attitude.

• puffytoad June 7th, 2012 8:51 PM

I guess my main problem with that bit of advice was the part about boys who like you being “ticking time bombs” that women need to watch out for by policing our behavior. I’m not saying that this specific case was assault of any kind, just that it seems Gillian Jacobs thinks the onus is on girls to watch out for these “sensitive” boys because they can’t be responsible for their own behavior.

• Anaheed June 7th, 2012 9:10 PM

I think anyone who likes you unrequitedly is a ticking time bomb that goes off when alcohol is added! Not that they become a violent PREDATOR, but just that those feelings are gonna COME OUT in one way or another. That’s what I think GJ was saying, too.

• puffytoad June 9th, 2012 10:23 AM

I don’t think alcohol makes someone a violent PREDATOR, but many people already happen to be one and might wait for the OPPORTUNITY to be eviiiille. Anyway, I’m fascinated by y’all’s perspective and I wrote a 2000 word diary entry about it.

• anisarose June 7th, 2012 3:53 PM

while those questions were not at all applicable to my very non-typical teenage life, i really like gillian jacobs and i now know that i have been incorrectly pronouncing her name!

• lylsoy June 7th, 2012 7:04 PM

hi anisa rose I just joined your blog!!! love the nail-art you do :) xoxo gossipgonzesse.blogspot.com

• Natalie. June 7th, 2012 5:07 PM

What an awesome, awesome babe!

• Cruicked June 7th, 2012 5:24 PM

She is so awesome.

• Adrienne June 7th, 2012 5:50 PM

Ahhh you’re so amazing, Gillian. I found this pretty helpful!

• Sterling87 June 7th, 2012 5:57 PM

AH she is beautiful and that is rockin advice.

• katrinaexplainsitall June 7th, 2012 6:01 PM

alskdjflk Gillian Jacobs is flawless oh my god.

• Kathryn June 7th, 2012 11:38 PM

I really want Gillian to be my older sister or my awesome cousin or something

• Ira June 7th, 2012 11:54 PM

What great heartfelt thoughtful advice. Adults should emulate this person.

• hopefulpower June 8th, 2012 1:22 AM

Love this advice, thank you :)

• Marlys June 8th, 2012 3:26 AM

I love you, Gillian! you’re so pretty on TV (and vimeo) that I never thought about the possibility of you being a loser in high school. you’re the best.

• Abby June 8th, 2012 8:01 AM

“But if you can vomit worlds, that’s pretty cool, and I’d say, get nervous as often as possible.”

I love her ahaha.

• Eliza June 9th, 2012 3:31 AM

I know that I said this in the last video, too, but I LOVE HER!

• princesskitty June 11th, 2012 1:38 PM

This made me feel old haha

• pch June 13th, 2012 4:56 PM

I really, really like her so I don’t want to take issue with this but it did bother me that she seemed to be placing the blame on the girl for the guy’s desires. Kind of telling her she is responsible for how he feels and should moderate her behaviour in order not to encourage him.

• Johann7 July 6th, 2012 12:39 PM

I interpreted this as falling under the general advice, “Don’t be a dick.” If you know someone is in love with you and you’re not really into them, it’s a dick move to take advantage of that person’s feelings just to get off for a night, whatever the genders of the people involved. I think people DO have a responsibility to moderate their behavior so as not to hurt other people when they know that’s a likely outcome. Ignoring predictable and hurtful outcomes of our behaviors because they might get in the way of selfish interest isn’t okay.

Flip the situation around – say someone you’re totally in love with and have been hanging out with FINALLY takes the plunge and hooks up with you, only to tell you the next day that it was a huge mistake and they’re really not into you. That sucks, no? Suggesting that the person you’re infatuated with should have had some consideration for your feelings and maybe not hooked up with you isn’t blaming them for your feelings, it’s suggesting that we shouldn’t simply do whatever we want without considering how our actions impact others. This goes equally for men and women (and anyone who doesn’t identify as a man or a woman). Granted, people tend to be able to get over that sort of thing, but it’s still not nice. If one is just looking to hook up without any strings, that’s fine, but one should do so with other people who are interested in the same thing.