Music

Friday Playlist: Hanging Out With Abed Nadir

Cool. Cool cool cool.

Community’s Abed Nadir loves Greendale Community College and his study group, but he needs to retreat into his world of pop-culture references every so often just like any socially confused lover of Netflix (see also: most of us at Rookie). Here’s a playlist of songs from his pop-culture vocabulary to escape with in your dreamatorium or pillow fort when real life just doesn’t cut it. Cool. Cool cool cool.

Illustration by Minna

• Hannah. June 1st, 2012 11:22 PM

Abed! My soul brother.

• iridescence June 1st, 2012 11:26 PM

O my gosh i love community! Abed and Troy are my favorite!

• sedgwick June 1st, 2012 11:32 PM

omg finally know the song that abed was humming in his horror story!! good find! such good humming.

• Adrienne June 1st, 2012 11:38 PM

Aaaahh I love community and Abed!!! And Britta… duh-DOY!

• Serena.K June 1st, 2012 11:38 PM

I just legitimately jumped in my seat and gasped OH MY GOD…I really love Abed. This playlist is perfection.

• camila June 1st, 2012 11:56 PM

This playlist is perfection. Abed is perfection <3

• earthling June 2nd, 2012 12:37 AM

I just made this account to say that you guys are officially the most awesome people ever. I seriously almost started screaming when I saw the picture of Abed.

• itsmyparty June 5th, 2012 7:17 PM

I know!! Rookie has everything I love!!

• Clairebearscare June 2nd, 2012 12:41 AM

I’m in love with Abed.
    And Community.
    And this playlist!

• Zoe with two dots June 2nd, 2012 2:02 AM

I freaked out when I saw the picture, then had to wait torturous hours until the article appeared (I live in Australia, time difference)
    I love love love Abed, and this playlist is amazing

• .Leah. June 2nd, 2012 2:29 AM

This playlist made me so happy. And the fact that the Cougar Town theme is on it makes is completely perfect.

• .Leah. June 2nd, 2012 2:29 AM

And the Friends theme song. Now this is perfection squared.

• dramallama June 2nd, 2012 4:16 AM

pretending to study in front of my parents and trying desperately not to dance

• summerspellz June 2nd, 2012 6:47 AM

TROY & ABED IN THE MORNING!!!

• moonchild June 2nd, 2012 10:46 AM

Hey Rookie! Kind of unrelated, but what is the new theme that I should send in stuff for? The box on the side still says paradise. Thanks! And love you to pieces!

Love,
    Gwen

• Tavi June 2nd, 2012 10:50 AM

We’re leaving Paradise in for now ’cause we still need some more stuff for this month, but if you wanna get thinking about next month, the theme is Freedom.

I wonder if I should just start posting in my editor’s letter the same stuff I send all of our staff when it’s time for their monthly pitches. Here’s what I sent everybody for Freedom:
      July’s theme is Freedom, especially summer-specific freedom, and all the combined privileges and responsibilities that come with growing up. References include Adrian Tomine, Harmony Korine, Spike Jonze, Yo La Tengo, Pavement, Basketball Diaries, Reality Bites, KIDS, Doug Aitken, Mark Borthwick, Galaxie 500 (the song “Strange” especially), Beach House, Juergen Teller (overexposed natural light stuff, not FLASH stuff), Cass Bird, River’s Edge, Todd Hido…but I really don’t want this to be a NINETIES month, it’s just that there are so many good visuals from that time that fit what I’m thinking about, parking lots and sleepovers and stealing shopping carts and barbecues and biking and fast food and gas stations and misty mornings and all-nighters and basketball and getting lost and sneaking out and coming home when it’s light out…I feel like all of those things exist in a vacuum of first tastes of freedom you get as a teenager that’s sort of independent of time or geography.

So far we’ve done a lot about the world you create in an isolated way, in your own backyard with your imagination or out of tangible things or with a best friend, but this month is more about the world you grow into and try to make your own…I love/hate Yo La Tengo’s Summer Sun because most of the music I listen to makes me feel like I’m somewhere else, but YLT just sounds like home…not in a cozy or nostalgic way, just cause it makes me think of everything I see on the way to school and all my friends and feeling both really empty and really emotional? I don’t know how that works into our content but I guess this month is more about a feeling than a movement or subculture or style or decade or anything.

• dearmia June 2nd, 2012 12:07 PM

Dick Dale hahah yesss!!!!!!

• rroseselavy June 2nd, 2012 4:09 PM

Troy and Abed <3
    EXTREMELY COOL. Cool cool cool.

• timelady June 3rd, 2012 11:26 AM

Troy and Abed in the moooorning! I love Community, and Abed is pretty much my favorite. He’s cool. Cool cool cool.

• Bren June 3rd, 2012 2:47 PM

Yes. Community. This show has absolutely saved me. And Abed is amazing.

#sixseasonsandamovie!

• RhiaSnape June 3rd, 2012 4:57 PM

awesome

• Tasya June 4th, 2012 4:09 AM

YES. SO PERFECT.

• Chimdi June 4th, 2012 11:12 PM

I really, really love this site

• valeria June 4th, 2012 11:44 PM