Movies + TV

Literally the Best Thing Ever: Girls

Thank you, Lena Dunham, for making me feel like I will, eventually, be OK.

Mild spoilers for the first three episodes.

I wish Lena Dunham were a stuffed animal, or a Polly Pocket, or something else that is small and easy to carry around. Not because she is precious, or adorable, but because she, with her creator-of-the-new-show-Girls-ness, has become my security blanket. She is, thankfully, neither precious nor adorable, and Girls, which airs on HBO on Sunday nights (and the first ep of which is on YouTube), does not have a quirky, indie tone. It is simply HILARIOUS, and the characters are sometimes clever, but they are also sometimes embarrassing, sometimes stupid, sometimes assholes, etc. It’s funny for the familiarity of its seemingly unnecessary filler words and recognizable mannerisms. It’s poignant because it doesn’t moralize, but brings comfort just by presenting prototypical characters and making them feel less cliché, and less lonely. It’s important because it is a TV show on a big cable network that is run by a 25-year-old woman pulling from her own experiences and telling her own stories.

When we first tried contacting Lena to do something for Rookie, HBO told us they weren’t comfortable with such an adult show being promoted to teenagers. (We were eventually able to reach her directly, and she wrote this fantastic piece for us about the first time she had sex.) With respect to HBO, I honestly think this is the perfect show to promote to teenagers. It’s realer than anything I’ve seen thus far about what my life is just about to be. The characters are not perfect role models—they make mistakes and have shitty boyfriends and say the wrong things. But collectively, they represent a more realistic version of the whole being-a-young-grown-up thing than anything we’ve seen yet, and in my opinion, that’s a much healthier expectation to plant in YOUNG, IMPRESSIONABLE MINDS than the illusion that figuring out who you are and what you care about and what you do about that will be easy.

Girls premiered last night, but I was able to preview and save the first three episodes a couple of months ago, and I’ve watched each of them all at least 10 times. I have turned to them at four AM while lying in fetal position on my floor, and at normal times of the day while hanging out with friends and being excited that we can finally share a show that is about women and their friendships and relationships and things but that doesn’t make you feel like you’re watching some corny, vapid piece of turd you should feel ashamed for enjoying. Girls is one of the few mainstream things made for women that don’t have to be some kind of guilty pleasure, the way I have gotten used to apologizing whenever I admit that I own Music and Lyrics on DVD. (I am sorry.)

Normally I’m protective of my security blankets because I don’t want the things I turn to in crucial moments to mean ANYTHING to ANYONE ELSE. But Girls is a kind of security blanket I’m excited to share and to see other people obsess over and relate to, and to see having an influence. Yes, it is mainly about four privileged white girls—but it’s also about their having to get over many of the privileges they’ve always taken for granted. This should not be the only show about, by, and for women on television—other voices can and should exist at the same time that this one does—but Girls is a generally positive thing in this world that I would rather watch than a show about women and their stories as told by men. The tone and attitude of Girls feel totally new for TV. The show is not Sex and the City or Friends. It doesn’t have me fantasizing about a fabulous apartment and a collection of expensive pumps and a social world based on money and sex. It has me really just wanting to be OK with myself—you know, the thing you’re left with once you realize that the other stuff is all just aspirational.

But I don’t love Girls because it helps me justify my less attractive qualities. It’s, well, inspiring, too. While, like I said, the characters are not perfect role models and they make mistakes, they also have moments of personal growth and triumph. Last week, I told a girl who’d written to our “Just Wondering” column about loneliness that the key to basically everything in life, from the admittedly simplistic point of view of someone who is barely 16 years in, is to strike a balance between Liz Lemon and Stevie Nicks: meaning having humility about one’s flaws, and the ability to turn those “flaws” into something powerful. On Girls, Lena Dunham does exactly that. Her character, Hannah, says this: “My second-biggest baggage is that I just bought four cupcakes and ate one of them in your bathroom.” But she also says this: “No, I have not tried to lose weight, because I thought I’d have some other concerns in my life.” She starts a late-night self-pity party by putting on “Get Well Soon,” but reconsiders the cause of her self-pity to be something kind of adventurous and intriguing and moves on to “Dancing on My Own.” Then her roommate comes home, and they dance to it together, and hug. I promise you that this does not feel cheesy. Or “quirky.” Or like the two of them are about to kick off their high heels and dish about men, comparing ex-boyfriends to certain kinds of yogurts or candles. It feels totally sincere. It feels like I will, eventually, be OK. Even without a Lena Dunham stuffed animal. (I would still love one just for entertainment, however.) ♦

• missblack April 16th, 2012 3:07 PM

YESYESYESYESYES I have been looking forward to this show for SO long!!!!! I love Lena Dunham!!!

aaaahhhh!!!

Little&Trivial

• Laia April 16th, 2012 3:10 PM

GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS

my only complaint is that the half hour feels too short. i just LOVE IT so.

• mayaautumn April 16th, 2012 3:11 PM

yup,i love this,

• Claire April 16th, 2012 3:17 PM

Every time I see “Literally the Best Thing Ever,” I imagine Chris from Parks & Rec saying “literally”…

• emilyland April 16th, 2012 3:18 PM

For another perspective: http://thehairpin.com/2012/04/where-my-girls-at

• Tyknos93 April 16th, 2012 5:20 PM

Thank you for THIS link. I was about to leave a similar comment, but I didn’t want it to come of bitter or angry.
      I really wish I could latch on to this show…I love 30 Rock and Liz Lemon’s character. I loved Tiny Furniture. It nice seeing women with the wit of Woody Allen, but it sucks that none of them at least look like me. In the pilot there were maybe two PoC??? In what I think was BROOKLYN? I mean I knew there isn’t much cool programming for women, but I kinda hoped a channel like HBO known for edgy award winning shows would step it up and show they some of the different sides to many “Girls”.
      Sigh… There’s always Ugly Betty reruns and Awkward Black Girl. I will watch the next few episodes maybe it will get better. So far I’m not impressed.

• Tyknos93 April 16th, 2012 5:28 PM

sooo many typos. sorry.

• Tavi April 16th, 2012 5:48 PM

I really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing.

• CeciliaCecilia April 16th, 2012 8:49 PM

DID YOU NOTICE THAT LINDSEY WEIR’S MOM IS HANNAH’S MOM?!

omg it just hit me. and i can’t post another comment.

• ale April 16th, 2012 6:46 PM

i love this article! and i love lena – the characters she has created are relatable in the what-am-i-doing-with-my-life-and-why-can’t-i-stop-this-anxiety sense. the actors that portray the characters have executed them so well… but boy do i wish, as a multiracial teen, that one of ‘em looked like me.

• MissKnowItAll April 16th, 2012 3:18 PM

Gah, so mad right now. I put it for recording on my DVR but my brother recorded over it with the amazing race. What is this injustice??????
    Sorry, I’m done ranting now. Can I watch it online because I really NEED to watch it now!!!

• The Worrying Kind April 16th, 2012 3:26 PM

YOUTUBE WHY ARE YOU SO MEAN TO ME? Because of me living in Sweden (That’s practically Narnia on the internet) I can’t watch this wonderful series and it makes me so sad… :’(
    Any fellow sad swedish girls out there to share my sadness with?

• Eliza April 17th, 2012 11:05 PM

Not Swedish but Indian! I can’t watch it too! This totally sucks, you know; it’s not like people in India don’t have a life! Hate not being able to share this security blanket. :(

• unefillecommetoi April 19th, 2012 4:59 AM

I know I’m from Mexico I couldn’t watch it either. I watched it on Cuevana. Only the pilot. I really liked it! I kind of expected more after reading this article but I still liked it a lot. I want to be like Jessa except for the selfish and pregnant part. Well, only the cute outfits and travel a lot part, actually. And her hair. It made me feel a lot better about the anxiety of growing up. And I feel like Lena Dunham could become a female Woody Allen.

• Jenny April 16th, 2012 3:35 PM

Ugh, so good.

• Flower April 16th, 2012 3:38 PM

Really want to see this!
    I am so behind on movies.
    Flower x

• starcollector April 16th, 2012 3:40 PM

Oh my goodness. I haven’t watched this yet, but my mind is SO READY to receive it now. Watching the episodes back-to-back tonight. Awwwww yeah!

China Lily

• indigosunday April 16th, 2012 3:45 PM

I am crying, because I don’t get to watch this. Don’t hurt me anymore

• moonflower April 16th, 2012 3:52 PM

I will be watching this, I forgot TV existed since I got this laptop.. Oh and Tavi, I watched your TedxTeen speech a couple of days back, and it was genuinely beautiful! I’m so inspired.

• A Fox In The Snow April 16th, 2012 4:01 PM

youtube won’t play it in my country :(

• violette April 16th, 2012 4:08 PM

well, I couldn’t phrase it better, so:

• Anaheed April 16th, 2012 4:08 PM

To everyone asking if they can watch it online — first ep is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DOrQfvq9RfM0. And if you can’t watch YouTube I’ve heard that HBO.com is gonna stream episodes a couple of days after they air? Not positive about that though.

• Laia April 16th, 2012 5:15 PM

Yes! HBO is streaming the first episode online starting today.

• Ludo April 16th, 2012 4:09 PM

I really hope this show can become the new thing. I’m so sick of people squealing about shows like Gossip Girl when stuff like this is out there. The boyfriends are so funny, when they’re making out on the couch and he bites her lip… xD

• Shophopper April 16th, 2012 4:12 PM

I just saw the first episode and absolutely loved the sincerity of the show. I love that the characters are self-absorbed without any shame to it (aren’t we all?), I love the awkardness, I love the uncertainty, I love the ambition and the dreams. Even though I’m a twentysomething in what seems to be a different universe, I feel like I can totally relate to the feel of the show. Everyone is kind of messing it up, but it’s okay, you know?

(By the way, I have a DVD of Music & Lyrics as well. It’s shuffled away between La Dolce Vita and A Room with a View. Maybe some of their sophistication will rub off on it. :))

• Shophopper April 16th, 2012 4:13 PM

And to all my fellow foreign sufferers, I have one word for you: torrent.

• callie April 16th, 2012 4:22 PM

yeah i just watched it on that watchseries website but the sound was like 4 seconds ahead of the video the entire way through. so annoying. but it was still good, so it must be amazing when you can actually see them saying things in real time.

• megantron April 16th, 2012 10:35 PM

Yup, planning on torrenting all my shows (even though it’ll take hours with the crappy network here) until I get back to the United States.

• eggzonable April 16th, 2012 4:18 PM

I loved Harper Simon at the end and awkward anal sex scene — so funny. Great show! I hope it will go on like that.

• violetfairydust April 16th, 2012 4:30 PM

Would be nice if there were women of color in it too.

• whodatgal April 16th, 2012 4:31 PM

when I saw this title I mas stupid enough to think you were talking about girls as in those awesome females in the world. Then I started getting confused when I read it! Haaha :)) By the way Tavi, I have the DVD ‘Music and Lyrics’ too? Does this mean I will die in an eternal pit of un-coolness? :/

• taste test April 16th, 2012 6:36 PM

I did the exact same thing!! I read the first line and I was like “spoilers? about what? is tavi predicting the future now?” then I read the first paragraph and realized it was a tv show. I was a little disappointed- a post about why girls rock could have been pretty cool.

• Anaheed April 16th, 2012 6:46 PM

This whole site is a post about why girls rock.

• taste test April 16th, 2012 11:22 PM

anaheed- that is very true! (I’m just going to post this here and hope it doesn’t look weird because I can’t reply to your post)

• willow April 16th, 2012 5:04 PM

This looks and sounds pretty cool, but I’m sad about yet another show that doesn’t have any significant, positive, non-stereotypical women of color characters. Especially considering the fact that it’s set in NYC, which is such a diverse place. -sigh-

• Caitlin April 16th, 2012 5:23 PM

YES, I was so excited for the premiere, especially since I recently watched Tiny Furniture. I’m 22, and very much in the post-college what-the-hell-is-going-on-here phase. I mean I still claim to strangers that I recently graduated college (to find some excuse for the lost look on my face), even though it has been over a year. But this show makes me feel like I’m in good company, and that there is no need to excuse this girly face.
    Also, I have been reading Rookie since it’s birth but I sometimes feel a need for some supplemental source of comfort, an EXTRA security blanket (if you will-please-thank you tavi), because I’m in a slightly different phase of life. I now have found that in GIRLS. Lena Dunham’s writing is brilliant and her characters are relatable human beings and not alien creatures with alien comforts. Rookiemag+GIRLS= ELECTRIC security blanket.

• megantron April 16th, 2012 10:29 PM

Agreed so hard! I’m also in that same phase of life (lost look and everything) and while I love Rookie, it’s not like I’m still in high school. I mostly read the articles saying, “mm HMM” and wishing that this had existed years ago. So I’ll give Girls a chance because the whole 20-somethings-trying-to-jumpstart-their-life aspect really appeals to me. I only wish that it weren’t so white, lol.

• kendallakwia April 16th, 2012 5:52 PM

I am really not ok with the lack of women of color.

• thelittlepotato April 16th, 2012 6:14 PM

right? a show about privileged white women on hbo…how new and different :(

• suburban grrrl April 16th, 2012 5:55 PM

I thought I’d never fall in love again and then POP goes my heart (POP goes my heart. . .)

I can’t tell if I love that song ironically or sincerely. . .

• Audrey April 16th, 2012 6:06 PM

The Band Girls is better ;)

• chilljill47 April 17th, 2012 1:27 AM

LOVE THE BAND GIRLS WITH A BURNING PASSION GAH

• unefillecommetoi April 16th, 2012 6:18 PM

god i want to watch this show! i’d never heard of it, but i read what lena wrote on that rookie article and i loved her!

• koolkat April 16th, 2012 6:23 PM

I own Music and Lyrics on DVD… I think it’s next to the first three Twilight movies, so I’m beyond help… ;)

This show sounds really good! I can’t wait to watch it!

• maddzwx April 16th, 2012 6:26 PM

I love this show! Of course, I’ve only seen the first episode, but I can’t wait for the next!

• ale April 16th, 2012 6:50 PM

i enjoy the authenticity of the show and have such high respect for lena but i felt a little lost while watching. i share similarities with the characters, which resonated deeply, but i’m quite saddened and frustrated that there are no poc on the show.

• Anaheed April 16th, 2012 7:56 PM

This is a good interview w/ Lena where she addresses a lot of the stuff you guys are commenting about: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/04/09/lena-dunham-girls_n_1411470.html

• starsinyourheart April 16th, 2012 7:58 PM

i LOVE this show! watched it for the first time today, i am so in love.

• CeciliaCecilia April 16th, 2012 8:07 PM

just saw the pilot and can i say that i am like, in love with lena dunham’s character? i have her voice in my head narrating my life at the moment.

• Kristen April 16th, 2012 9:13 PM

I read about it in The New Yorker, and had been meaning to watch it! Thanks for reminding me!

How many episodes have aired so far though? Does anyone know if there’s anything past episode 1 on the internet?

• Anaheed April 16th, 2012 9:23 PM

Only one has been on yet — it aired last night.

• back2thepast April 16th, 2012 9:15 PM

Tavi already said in the article that she is aware that it is a show about “4 privileged white girls”. It’s just a great show. Try watchin it for the wonderosity and not for the sport of trying to spot out all the women of color.

• willow April 17th, 2012 12:42 PM

“The sport of trying to spot out all the women of color”? That’s kind of condescending. There are countless TV shows that again and again refuse to cast people of color, or if they do cast them they are tropes and stereotypes. We have the right to call that out, and I for one will call it out every time I see it, because I’m sick of it. Girls looks like a cool show that I’ll probably enjoy, but just because something is cool and enjoyable doesn’t mean it can’t be constructively criticized. I’m glad that Tavi addressed it, but we are allowed to voice our opinions also, yeah?

• back2thepast April 19th, 2012 10:10 PM

Yeah, sorry if I came off as a bit… bitchy. I love this site cuz everyone is allowed to share opinions in a safe environment, I tend to get protective of Rookie though haha my apologies

• dearmia April 16th, 2012 9:35 PM

Oh, man! I saw GIRLS last night and it was sooo gooood! Like you said, it’s something I could relate to. It wasn’t cheesy or like any other show about women. BUT I wish it was more than half an hour! It left me wanting SO MUCH MORE uuggghh. Oh well, we got next week.

• Amaris April 16th, 2012 9:45 PM

I find it interesting how this show just premiered yesterday and it’s gotten so much backlash in the past 18-24 hours.
    I’m happy Rookie did a positive review on it, because truth be told I’m liking the show so far as well. But it really made me look at my own future and our generation. I mean the show is almost too real. Although I’ve only seen the first episode I could see myself in Hannah, Marnine, and a little bit of Jessa. It freaked me out a little.

• Kristen April 16th, 2012 9:59 PM

Yeah, its definitely of us and our generation. Yesterday, my dad had this long talk with me about how I need to realize that he will not support me after I graduate from college. He and my mom always talk about our “Entitlement Generation.” But I know that I will need to get a job and fend for myself… which is why I was kind of surprised that Hannah still expected her parents money.

• kiarra April 16th, 2012 10:09 PM

Yeah! as much as I wanted to be excited for this show, I was also disheartened by the only PoC in the pilot, which were a tech savvy Asian and an optimistic “magical Negro” homeless man. Let me tell you, it’s already tough being a quirky black girl, but it’s even tougher not seeing other QBG’s (or non-white characters) on funky shows like this. (did I just say funky? I totally did.)

• Amaris April 16th, 2012 10:32 PM

I feel you. I feel like I can’t relate to the Girls characters on a “emotional” level but definitely not physical. I’m a black female as well but I’ve come to terms, that I won’t find anyone who at least looks like me on a major network not playing a stereotypical role. Am I happy with that? Of course not. But I’m not gonna freak out about it because are any of us really surprised? I mean look at SATC. The only significant black person was Blair Underwood and then Jennifer Hudson in the movie. Then you have Friends and all of those other city based sitcoms like Will & Grace and Seinfeld. Not a whole lot of color going on there either. Plus, HBO shows aren’t really known to bring people of color to forefront expect for maybe (but not really) in True Blood and Boardwalk Empire.

• Tyknos93 April 16th, 2012 11:10 PM

There was the Wire, No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and The Corner with majority PoC casts, but most of them didn’t challenge the tropes already in place.
        There are lots of great webseries and indie films that are quite the opposite of what’s on TV. It’d be cool if more people could see these images too.

• espressoslut April 16th, 2012 10:35 PM

Tiny Furniture is also life-affirming and great (and on Netflix Instant)

• teenager April 16th, 2012 11:03 PM

NEEEED to watch this! On my to-do list for this week… And I know exactly what you mean with protective-ness of the security blankets!

• ghostlightshow April 16th, 2012 11:40 PM

I watched it on youtube and it was SO GOOD. Like, it was actually funny and way more realistic than most TV shows seem. So awkward, so real. I wish I got HBO….

• insteadofanelephant April 16th, 2012 11:52 PM

i was SO excited to watch this, but studying and magazine styling totally took over my sit-on-the-couch-and-get-fat time. no, really.

instead of an elephant

• Inggrid April 17th, 2012 12:45 AM

Because acknowledging its exclusivity of POC totally validates it!!!!

• breeTHEg April 17th, 2012 1:24 AM

This show was sooooo good and really intriguing. Even though I had to catch it on youtube due to my mother’s refusal to buy HBO -_-, I really loved how it was funny but remained realistic at the same time. I would definitely recommend this show to any teenage girl/young woman. Lena Dunham is a kick-ass genius for this!

• rayano-banano April 17th, 2012 3:30 AM

How did you watch the first 3 episodes so far Tavi? I’ve only been able to find the first online

• Gerlin April 17th, 2012 7:10 AM

I am yet to watch the show but it looks very promising! Good to see a lot of discussion going on here though.
    There’s something else I wanted to address that I noticed in the trailer. There’s several quotes from media and the one from Variety says “Lena Dunham is a more awkward, fatter version of Tina Fey…”. Seriously? I was pretty offended reading this. First off, as always, they’re comparing women to each other and second: calling her ‘a FATTER version’. Wow yeah that’s totally relevant. Saying that in itself I thought was pretty bad but what I don’t understand at all is that they used that quote for the trailer?!

• Chelsea Jade April 19th, 2012 12:27 AM

I feel as though Lena Dunham would have green-lit the use of that quote to tickle her own funny bone.

• EnidEnvy April 17th, 2012 8:24 AM

i was really pumped to watch this show, but i don’t know as if i like it. you are 24 and you have been out of school living on your own for two years on your parents dime? and now that they are putting their foot down and telling you to get a job you are going to throw a hissy fit? boo hoo. i cannot sympathize with a character who is nothing but a spoiled brat. i want to see more episodes. maybe it will grow on me.

• bluecircus April 17th, 2012 9:20 AM

Ever since I watched the amazing Tiny Furniture I have been waiting for Girls to hurry up and air already. And as I finally got to watch the first episode last night I somehow KNEW that it would (and should) be a Literally The Best Thing Ever on Rookie, which is also literally the best thing ever.

I am 22, just finished uni, and I cannot get over how much Girls speaks to me, how I can relate to everything in Hannah and her friend’s lives (except the rich parents thing. I wish!). I love that it shows things that you would never see on any other show, but they are exactly what happens in real life. Like the whole ‘relationship’ between Hannah and her boyfriend, specifically the anal sex scene! I think depicting these real things on TV is so important, for teenagers who are wondering what life will really be like when they are out of school and ‘grown up’, and especially for those of us who are going through the same thing and wondering “is this normal?!”.

Another thing I love is that the actresses look like real people, not all skinny, ‘conventionally beautiful/hot’ clones. I look remarkably like Lena Dunham, and it is so nice to see someone on TV who I can relate to in a physical sense, and who is so comfortable with her body. This of course is not the same as the huge lack of WOC in popular TV shows for women, and I totally agree that people of different ethnicities should be featured more prominently in Girls, and especially not as the stereotyped characters they have been.

Anyway, essay over. Just wanted to express my love for this show. And Lena Dunham. And Rookie!

• Buglet86 April 17th, 2012 12:48 PM

Thank you Lena Dunham for making me realize that the fact that I specifically avoided having a lot of “girlfriends” was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. LITERALLY the best thing ever?! Do you know what that word means? This show unabashedly glorifies the vapid, entitled behavior that I know for a FACT runs rampant through my generation. And the fact the generation coming up under me watches this show and says “Oh em gee!! Its like totes the most awesomest thing eva! Literally!” *Cringe* We are in for a rough next few decades.

Me, I am a 25 year old girl who moved to New York when I was 19. I saved up before I moved but my parents were ready to help. For a while I hit a rough patch and they ended up helping a little too much for how old I was getting. But here’s the thing, when they brought up that they really couldn’t afford supporting me anymore, I was mortified and apologetic. I didn’t say “No, keep giving me money so I can continue to not grow up and make sacrifices (like getting a paying job while you’re “interning” like most people are forced to do) Do you have any idea how much stronger we would be as a society if more parents would do what this girls did? Forcing people who should already be well on the way to adulthood become more self sufficient? The fact that her first reaction when waking up in her parents hotel room after making a complete and utter fool out of herself, was not to call her mother to see where they had gone, but was to order room service and then ask if she could still charge her parents card for it filled me with such rage. If the fir

• Buglet86 April 17th, 2012 12:50 PM

…first episode is any indication, I don’t think this show is going to be bad, I think its going to be dangerous.

• CreatureLagoon April 17th, 2012 7:26 PM

I honestly couldn’t get past two minutes of the pilot. I don’t give a shit about a white girl whining about having to get a job for once.

• caro nation April 17th, 2012 8:15 PM

I love Lena, I love Tiny Furniture, and dear lord do I love Girls, but this show does not make me yearn for 20′s… AT ALL. All the characters are morose and maudlin, and sometimes rightfully so. They have no ambitions, they’re relationships, lifestyles, and environments are painfully bleak and abstruse, and they’re dispositions are disheartening. Even the production design is bleak and cringe-worthy, with all those muted colors. Not to say that I don’t love this show to death and even consider it tantamount with Woody Allen’s oeuvre, but.. COME ON. I do give it props for the realism, if that’s what I’m going to be doing at twenty something.

• caro nation April 17th, 2012 8:16 PM

It gives of the same vibes as Young Adult, no?

• abillionjennifers April 19th, 2012 12:00 AM

YEss!! Girls and Young Adult go together like like a tacohut. Both kind of grossly appetizing.

Yeah, it sort of scares me that younger girls are looking to this show as something that speaks to them so profoundly. Telivision is really hurting for some realistic women (flaws and all.)

What do I know, I liked watching Pepper Ann in my early twenties.

• Adrienne April 17th, 2012 10:12 PM

I really want to watch this! I didn’t read the article due to spoilers, but when I find the time I’ll definitely Hulu it!

Fun fact: one of the actresses is the daughter of Brian Williams (news guy on NBC) and she was in the same secret society as my older sister back in college! They knew each other!

• Mariann April 18th, 2012 3:00 AM

I literally thought this was not that great. To be honest my problem with this is that, it seems the point of the show is for girls relating to these situations and actions, when actually only SOME kind of girls can relate to it. More like, it made me feel not wanting to be like them, you know? I don’t think it’s ok to be spoiled and not accomplish much at 24 with a college degree or whatever. I don’t want to end up in a pseudo relationship where the guy does not care for me, and I know that the whole point is that the main character is not ok with this either, but does nothing because she is different but not trying to be? I don’t know, but it didn’t appeal to me at all. Not even some of the quirky dialogues or that forced character who is way much into Sex and the City. Actually the parents were a lot of fun, but that’s about it. (Also I feel in great pain because Bored to death was cancelled and they put this? :cry: )

• Chelsea Jade April 19th, 2012 12:10 AM

guttural joy

• chancentrate April 20th, 2012 8:55 AM

Hey Tavi!

I haven’t quite worked out how I feel about it myself, but I just wondered if you were planning to address the issue of race within the show? I’m sure you’ve come across the shitstorm on the internet about the lack of diversity on display in Girls and I just wondered if you have an opinion on it? As I said, I’m still forming mine, there’s several takes on it –
    A modern program that is sold as unconventional and realistic shows 4 young girls and their group of friends in a huge metropolitan ethnically diverse city as having absolutely no ethnic minority friends/acquaintances aside from 2 pretty stereotypical representations (based on the first episode at least). This is bad.

OR Lena Dunham has deliberately portrayed these characters as having no ethnic minority friends to further show how insular their world is and how narrow minded they are despite their supposed liberal leanings. This is a realistic portrayal.

OR As (sadly) realistic as it may be to show that, wouldn’t it have been nice if a show like this in which so many barriers are being broken in terms of representation of females could jump the final hurdle and maybe have a brown girl who breaks convention and is not a doctor but is just like the other girls because people like that exist?

And so it goes on.
    I dunno, it’s a complex issue and I’d love to hear Lena’s take on it as she’s so far only given a rather vague response to it and otherwise ignored it. In the meantime, I’d love to know what the Rookie team thinks.

Thanks!!!

• amelia April 21st, 2012 6:29 AM

the race issue is a bit of a dealbreaker for me.

• lula April 22nd, 2012 8:01 PM

hi i loved girls. i don’t know, it seemed relateable and real and, i mean, i’m fourteen, not twenty, and i’m in the most redneck town in texas, not in new york, and my parents still buy me nylon every week and they pay for my lunch at school and just about everything else, i’m not broke and without a job, but i think the characters are easy to empathize with and they’re not like any others i’ve seen on television (and that’s probably because my guilty pleasure is real housewives of new jersey and i invested about a million hours into that show last summer and nothing else but whatever) and i really, really like it.

p.s. my mom would die if she knew i watched girls and am anxiously awaiting tonight’s episode

• WaterLogged April 24th, 2012 11:16 PM

I don’t know. I’m just not on the Girls bandwagon. To me, any show that ignores the existence of minorities is a big problem.

Edit: I actually just realized the *only* minority was homeless man that asks for money. Nice.

• Rose April 25th, 2012 5:12 PM

I have been completely obsessed with Lena Dunham ever since I saw tiny furniture. I’m overjoyed she got her own HBO show!

I don’t completely understand why people are so upset by the lac of minority’s.
    Obviously they could have been more inclusive, but at lest TV is letting us see something a lot more realistic then gossip girl!

• Mariann April 26th, 2012 9:52 PM

Well, I think it is because it’s supposed to be realistic and honest about girls in the mid twenties in this day and age. And it concerns me too the lack of diversity these shows are portraying, especially the if they are new and with a lot of promo like Girls.

• emleng7 May 14th, 2012 7:19 PM

IN LOVE WITH THIS SHOW

• princesskitty June 14th, 2012 2:42 PM

I find Hannah a completely unlikable character(hello, she made a rape joke??!) yet i still can’t stop watching. My number one guilty pleasure at the moment,

• YangHaizi July 2nd, 2012 8:15 AM

So, on your recommendation, without reading this article I took up watching Girls last night about 8..couldn’t stop until I finished the entire season, had three hours of sleep and got up for work..I don’t remember watching anything anything this real on TV!

• Isinbaevaa May 14th, 2013 2:41 PM

*Hands down best show* CANT WAIT FOR SEASON THREE.