Fun

Literally the Best Thing Ever: Daisies

Best flower? Yes, best flower.

I strongly feel that daisies are literally the best thing ever. I don’t think they’re the prettiest flower or the best smelling (roses in both cases), yet they have such magnitude. WHY, I would like to know, as I plaster daisy stickers all over all of my crap. Or, to phrase it like a comedian performing standup for an old folks’ home, WHAT’S THE DEAL WITH DAISIES?

Let us look to those who have loved them before me. I am told they were important, as much as a flower can be important, in the ’60s and ’70s. Here are Marianne Faithfull and Pamela des Barres, looking cute.

Look at this scene from Harold and Maude that makes me cry a little. (Ignore Maude’s remark about sunflowers for the sake of the strength and emphasis of my argument.)

And the movie actually called DAISIES, which has all the whimsy you would want in a movie with that name.

Then you have the cartoon versions of daisies, which were big in the ’60s/’70s but which adorn many of my school supplies from the early 2000s.

This is a handsome bathtub.

This is Winnie Cooper with her folder.

These are some barrettes and erasers I have.

Skip ahead to the ’90s, and Drew Barrymore is really into wearing daisies in her hair at photo shoots and awards shows and things. I cannot deny the appeal of Asteraceae when they’re worn with that smirk of hers!

There are other random daisy moments that hold personal significance for me, like, this picture of Sarah Michelle Gellar, or this hat of Dionne’s from Clueless.

BUT WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? I googled it, and someone on Yahoo! Answers said this:

I did, rbd_fan8ellipsebecauseihaveapretentiouslongnameformyyahooaccount, and it brought me to you. Could it be that daisies are really just cute and pretty and widely acknowledged for being so? Probably. And so, I adorn my shelves, my head, my folders, with daisies. Roses are too romantic, orchids are too sesssssual, sunflowers are too brown. Daisies are easy to doodle. The tacky dyed ones look purposefully tacky, and the pretty natural ones look like they belong on a calendar about life’s simple pleasures. DAISIES FOR PREZ IN 2012. ♦

• Hunter April 11th, 2012 11:04 PM

I can’t wait for infinite spring vibe daisy chain rituals!

• starcollector April 11th, 2012 11:08 PM

My boyfriend really ridiculously resembles Luigi… you know, like Mario’s brother (He also resembles rooftop-era George Harrison, but that’s beside the point). Whenever we have an anniversary or it’s my birthday or he just wants to be nice he gives me a daisy or a bouquet of daisies, because he calls me his Daisy (you know, the chill yellow-and-purple princess, Luigi’s girlfriend). We actually dressed up as Luigi and Daisy a couple years ago for Halloween.

Anyways, I got all sappy and smile-y when I read this article because daisies have such special meaning to me right now–besides the fact that they’re pretty! So yeah, thank you. :)

• caro nation April 12th, 2012 8:14 AM

That is so is so sweet I think I’m going to disgorge some daisies.

Also, I love your blog’s California Dreamin’ aesthetic (that’s just what I call things that remind me of California), it makes me nostalgic for Los Angeles.

• starcollector April 15th, 2012 10:37 PM

Aw thanks, dude! Funny enough I’m often pining for Los Angeles!

• Moxx April 11th, 2012 11:11 PM

Hmm. I’ve pretty much always thought of daisies as soft and tragic, and finally a bit bland or empty (if a flower can be considered empty).

I blame The Great Gatsby.

• marimba_girl April 11th, 2012 11:42 PM

So true. But I also feel kinda bad for her. She lacked the necessary “living in the real world” skills that would have enabled her to leave both Tom and Gatsby. Don’t mind the analysis, I’m writing my critical paper but somehow got distracted…

• caro nation April 12th, 2012 8:19 AM

Daisy bored me to DEATH. She was just so COY. Maybe Carey Mulligan will maker her a bit more sultry or sharp-witted or enigmatic, things I always wanted Daisy to be. How could Scott write such a tiresome character with such an vivacious wife?

ZELDA FITZGERALD 4 LIFE.

• Chloe Elizabeth April 12th, 2012 2:18 AM

I thought of Gatsby too.
      Daisy and daisys are kinda one in the same to me now.
      Something innocent and white on the outside, tragic on the inside, and all over pretty but simple.

• CC April 12th, 2012 12:02 PM

Oh god, that just brought back totally depressing memories from reading The Great Gatsby… Such a good book though.

• feebee April 11th, 2012 11:12 PM

I’m going to a school next year whose mascot is the “fighting daisy!” :)

• Marie April 11th, 2012 11:14 PM

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS POST ALL DAY

LAWD I FEEL THE SAME TAVI. That is all I wear in my hair/buy/want on anything. Also you should see this ring I just got! I will buy all my daisy stuff in two’s now and send to you in a big daisy package. 90′S DAISY DREW 4 EVER!!!!!!!!!

• Jenn April 11th, 2012 11:23 PM

YES, YES, YES, DAISIES ARE MY FAVORITE FLOWER FOR THE 60S/70S/90S NOSTALGIA AND GENERAL PRETTINESS AND UGH JUST YES.

• PrinkaSaras April 11th, 2012 11:24 PM

i can’t believe you write about DAISIES! this is my eternal favorite flower in the whole universe! thank you thank you so much for writing this, Rookie!

• KinuKinu April 11th, 2012 11:24 PM

AH SOO AWESOME.Daisies were always my favorite flower.I don’t why….they are just so awesome.Great article,Tavi :D

• hellosailor April 11th, 2012 11:25 PM

Here’s what Google told me:
    “DAISY flower meaning – Innocence, Loyal Love, I’ll Never Tell, Purity”

“According to an ancient Celtic legend, daisies came from the spirits of children who died at birth. To cheer up their parents, God sprinkled the flowers all over the earth. This legend is the reason why daisies have the meaning of innocence.”

“There is an old English saying that spring has not come until you can set your foot on twelve daises. Dreaming of daisies in the spring or summer is good but if in the fall or winter it is bad luck.”

Who knew? I just love them too

• anonymouse April 12th, 2012 7:54 PM

Haha! It’s not spring until you crush a dozen children’s spirits!:]

• ShawnaElizabeth April 11th, 2012 11:41 PM

Don’t forget the ability to pluck the petals in whimsical games of they love me they love me not!

• SweetThangVintage April 12th, 2012 12:10 AM

Yes! And I love dyed daises too. And those flowers that look like dyed daises BUT THEY AREN’T! Those are my favorite.

• vile_violet April 12th, 2012 12:22 AM

I just went to Hobby Lobby(a craft supply store) and saw a two foot tall fake colored daisy. It was pretty cool actually.

• Tyknos93 April 12th, 2012 12:24 AM

Hey I saw Daises too, after seeing gifs all the time on Tumblr. My favorite flowers are chrysanthemums and poppies I even named my puppy Chrys.

• sequoia April 12th, 2012 12:27 AM

ugh daisies are perfect!!!!!! so glad one of my nicknames is daisy :) :)

• Susann April 12th, 2012 1:05 AM

I love Marc Jacobs’ Daisy perfume! :)

• Marlena April 12th, 2012 1:17 AM

YESSSS!!! Daisies are my absolute favorite (especially when they’re in sticker/eraser form!) <3__<3

• Adrienne April 12th, 2012 1:20 AM

Yes!!! I don’t have one favorite flower, but daisies are definitely one of my faves! This sounds weird but I love the texture of their petals…. Oh and I love making daisy chain bracelets and crowns and such. :))) AND That bathtub is the best thing I’ve seen!

• ToriLynne April 12th, 2012 1:49 AM

I cannot tell you how much I love this! Daisies have always been a huge part of my life. My nickname, a ring I never take off… everything in my LIFE! I named my blog after daisies simply because I can’t think of anything that represents me better! And this post does that as well. Thanks, Tavi!

• LittleMissE April 12th, 2012 2:17 AM

I especially enjoyed the picture of Sarah Michelle Gellar ;D And I agree: daisies are PHOSHIZZ the best flower.

• brianna April 12th, 2012 2:44 AM

i LOVE daisies.
    love the remark about sunflowers…..too brown :D

ah call me crazy, but in the future i want a guy to propose to me with a room filled with yellow daisies….just like in that one episode of Gilmore Girls (i still love that show).

• elizabethscourt April 12th, 2012 3:31 AM

Hey, I can’t believe I see reference to Czechoslovakian movie ‘Daisies’ on Rookiemag!!!! It’s so nice to see something from the little country you come from in your favourite magazine :)

• Anaheed April 12th, 2012 3:38 AM

We’re gonna talk about it again on Monday!

• FlorenceEyre April 12th, 2012 10:47 AM

Oh dear god, I am from Slovakia and I can´t believe you mentioned it! And I love Rookie so much! (Elizabethscourt: Slovensko alebo Česko? :))

• mayaautumn April 12th, 2012 3:43 AM

ilovedaisies:O
    for some reason they’ve always like ‘been in my life’….i guess I’ve just loved this flower forever. do they do flower birth sign things? ’cause if they do, mine would be a daisy :) …i hope…

• kavalier April 12th, 2012 3:44 AM

Daisies have been my favourite flower since forever. I grew up with a cat called Daisy, and when I was little I learnt there was a flower called that too and that was it for me. Though my baby’s not with us any more, daisies are still my favourite flowers :)

• natalie49 April 12th, 2012 5:02 AM

WILD DAISIES – Bub Bridger

If you love me
    Bring me flowers
    Wild daisies
    Clutched in your fist
    Like a torch
    No orchids or roses
    Or carnations
    No florist’s bow
    Just daisies
    Steal them
    Risk your life for them
    Up the sharp hills
    In the teeth of the wind
    If you love me
    Bring me daisies
    Wild daisies
    That I will cram
    In a bright vase
    And marvel at

• Daisy April 12th, 2012 6:58 AM

I literally can’t believe this, i just woke up panicking because i’ve got a project on daisies due in on monday and have done nothing. THIS IS PERFECT TIMING, i really needed a push in the right direction! x

• oriGINAlity95 April 12th, 2012 8:05 AM

I was tickled pink to see Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper among this display of daisy awesomeness! Winne just oozes daisies! And The Wonder Years is all about transformation, so perfect!

• MissKnowItAll April 12th, 2012 8:22 AM

sucks to be allergic to daises

• MechaMech April 12th, 2012 10:37 AM

Whoa, I’m not particularly interested in daisies but last night I had a dream that featured one. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!!1

• laurenblossom April 12th, 2012 11:14 AM

Tavi, we are clearly the same person. I keep a Jack Daniels vase of daisies in my room at all times as it improves my mood. LOVE THEM.

• CC April 12th, 2012 12:07 PM

Ahhh, YES YES YES DAISIES since I just bought some fake ones to make my own DIY flower crown. Daisies are def my favorite flower, though I don’t really know why either. But I kinda want to get proposed to one day with a daisy ring… Hahaha, a girl can dream.

• Ottilie April 12th, 2012 12:33 PM

This post was calling to me! I remember one of my first daisy chains in a field that is now a parking lot. Ahh Nostalgia, concrete covered nostalgia.

• Nishat April 12th, 2012 1:08 PM

I like the irony of “check online” – as if yahoo answers wasn’t “online” already? I guess it’s more polite than ‘jfgi’ (which I’m told stands for just f***ing google it, but I’ve never actually used the phrase)

• Flower April 12th, 2012 1:13 PM

rookie is so good for bringing back memories. when i was little my friend and i used to have daisy picking competitons.
    also, i love today’s bg. that ,ovie changed my life.

• Isobel-cat April 12th, 2012 2:45 PM

this is actually so true!! I feel like I’ve spent the majority of my life finding comfort from particularly daisy-fied patches in fields. I even went through a phase of eating them in order to gain their beauty and power (it failed) but AAH THIS IS THE BEST ARTICLE EVERRR!

• Hanaa April 12th, 2012 3:55 PM

I love that you included Sarah Michelle Gellar. She was a babe adorning flowers and butterflies in her hair on the Third Season of Buffy =)

• blini April 12th, 2012 3:55 PM

oh my god I love Sedmikrasky so muchhh! it makes me want to flop around wearing a floral circlet and stare vapidly at the furniture

• lavendersparrow April 12th, 2012 5:27 PM

I love Harold and Maude. It’s one of my favorite movies. The movie is very heartfelt and meaningful. Everyone should see it. It has some really great fashion in it too!

• neenah April 12th, 2012 5:48 PM

I really love the days of Drew when she wore daisies in her hair. I also enjoy that pic of her and Rose MacGowan because it looks like Drew is about to throw down, or at least yell a smart, snarky comment at some hater :)

• ssharonn April 12th, 2012 5:52 PM

can there be a Rookie article on Azealia Banks? Because she is literally the best thing ever.

• ladylaurenia April 12th, 2012 8:30 PM

There’s this pic of my mom in the ’70s with an afro and bell-bottom jeans in a field of DAISES. It’s so beautiful it looks like it’s straight from a magazine. Now you left me no choice but to find it! :) <3

• ivoire April 13th, 2012 12:29 AM

SEDMIKRASKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dayzee April 13th, 2012 9:42 AM

Tavi, i can see through this. I know that really, you love Daisies because Daisy is my name, and i am amazing and cool and stylish and pretty and stuff.

Don’t deny it! Everyone loves Daisies because of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

styledynamite.blogspot.com

• Ginny April 13th, 2012 10:43 PM

Oh my god Harold and Maude HERE COME THE TEARS

• vanguardinspace April 14th, 2012 12:21 AM

I made a crown of daisies, and want to be able to wear it as an accessory, but it falls apart so easily. Any ideas on how to get the flowers to last a while longer and not be so delicate?

• Bren April 14th, 2012 7:51 PM

Oh, oh oh! Pushing DAISIES. (RIP)
    Which was an amazing show that had absolutely nothing to do with the flower, but their photoshoots always had at least one picture with one of the cast members and a daisy.
    There’s a particular one of the beautiful Lee Pace laying down on a field of daisies, while holding out one daisy himself. Sigh.

• EveyMarrie April 14th, 2012 10:06 PM

I wish I could agree but I’m allergic to daisies XD Not the best thing for me haha

• caro nation April 18th, 2012 7:16 PM

PUSH TH’ LITTLE DAISIES AND MAKE ‘EM COME UP

• maddzwx June 18th, 2012 8:56 AM

Daisies =awesome. Courtney love chillin in that picture? Awesome.

• Savvy June 26th, 2012 7:17 PM

But but but… what about Pushing Daisies?

• pansycakes June 3rd, 2013 2:57 PM

I dont know what it is about daisies, but i love em! I always have… enough so that i tattooed a daisy on my wrist ! Awesome article <3