Dear Diary

April 4, 2012

The universe is up to something.

Katherine

Freshman year, this new kid named Sam joined our grade. After my first class of the day, I saw my brother and was all, “We have this new kid. His name is Sam and he seems pretty cool and talks like Sam Weir when Sam Weir says ‘Hey, Cindy.’” And my brother was all, “I know, I saw him first.” Then I probably said something along the lines of, “No, I did. I’m going to class.”

For me, he was just one of the dozens of people I’ve met whom I’ve always wanted to be friends with, but never actually got to talk to that much. With those people, I generally just admire from afar, wondering what we’d do if we were friends. He hung out with my older brother, though, and I remember riding around our neighborhood on scooters and going to the park one or two times. One night, he disappeared for about 15 minutes. Just as we were starting to wonder where he went, he returned with DELICIOUS CUPCAKES that people had been passing out from a FREE CUPCAKE bus. Basically, I only have cupcake- and scooter-related memories of this kid. Both good things.

Two years later, Sam moved far, far away. The last time I talked to him was over Facebook chat. He told me that the best part of moving to North Carolina was that the tap water tasted better.

Well, anyway, a few nights before prom, Sam called this dude, the one who told my friends he was going to ask me to prom but changed his mind (hereafter known as Flakeasaurus Rex—but no hard feelings, seriously). Sam said he was coming to town on Saturday for his spring break. Flakeasaurus was all, “OMG, you should come to prom with us.” So Sam and Flakeasaurus talked to my friend Alexa about it, and Alexa called me, and then Sam called me, AND THEN IT WAS AGREED UPON THAT WE SHOULD PARTICIPATE IN THE FREAKY HIGH SCHOOL RITUAL THAT IS PROM.

I guess I was kind of nervous at first. Our conversation on the phone was pretty painful because of me. There were many pauses. Also, I asked what happens at dances, to which he replied, “Well, we’ll probably take pictures with a group and go to dinner afterwards. Then we’ll go to the dance. That’s pretty much what happens.” No shit, Katherine. I thought the whole night was going to be me asking stupid questions like that and him having to endure them knowing that I cannot hold an entire conversation with a peer without freaking out and shouting things like, “Just leave me alone” or “Why do you want to know what I did last weekend, are you making fun of me?”

While we were taking pictures, Sam, Flakeasaurus, and I were talking, and Sam told us that he was wearing his running shorts underneath his suit. He told us about moisture wicking and how it prevents him from sweating too much. He added that he forgot to wear an undershirt, so he guessed he might sweat through his shirt a little. He said something along the lines of, “I just wanted to brief you on how my perspiration was going to be throughout the night.” That made me not-so-nervous. We could talk about perspiration. It was going to be OK.

And it was OK. In fact, it was great. It was great because Sam is great. It was great because I didn’t assign any extra meaning to it like I do with everything else. I just went and forgot about feeling like a loner, and forgot about having to be all cynical around my peers, and just allowed myself to feel like this was a good thing. In a weird way, going to prom helped me move on from thinking that going would be a sign of approval from my peers and feeling like it was just this stupid little dance that no one would shut up about. Because it’s neither of those things. It’s just something that’s there if you want to go but isn’t essential. We had fun. We dressed up and danced and went to bed just before the sun came up. By that time I was tired from laughing and smiling and dancing and BEIN’ A TEEEEEEEEEN. ♦

1 2 3 4 5

• FashionHauties April 4th, 2012 7:11 PM

Katherine, that was actually hilarious. I wish something odd like that would happen to me for prom. Instead I’m going to church prom with friends. :/ haha

• MissKnowItAll April 4th, 2012 7:17 PM

I just want to take this minute to say that I have so much to thank Rookie for. Reading and learning from you guys has been the best thing in the world for me.

• Juniper April 4th, 2012 7:54 PM

Amen.

• Abby April 5th, 2012 3:23 PM

I would post this on every single article if I could (if they wouldn’t block me for trolling ha). I’m so glad that I found Rookie at this time in my life, and I’m going to keep reading it in college next year and after that. Rookie is amazing. Thank you, I love you guys.

• Abby April 4th, 2012 7:17 PM

1) That sugar glider is probably the cutest thing I’ve seen in a week. Well, except for all the kitten videos I watched earlier because of the room cleaning article’s link.

2) I think the slowed-down voices at the end of the Michael Jackson ghost video are scarier than ghosts.

• Ruby B. April 4th, 2012 10:11 PM

EVERYTHING ABOUT IT IS TERRIFYING

• Yellie April 4th, 2012 7:33 PM

Naomi, what you’re feeling describing is pretty much how i feel right now. For so long everything was so dark and I’ve finally got some hold over my emotions but it feels so fragile. It’s so confusing and scary because feelings just happen, and at any moment i think i could just be sucked back under.

• Jes April 4th, 2012 7:46 PM

SCORE ONE FOR KATHERINE!!!

• Juniper April 4th, 2012 7:53 PM

Can I just say I love all you guys.

• OlyGirl_LAWorld April 4th, 2012 7:55 PM

Katherine! I’m so happy that prom turned out the way it did for you! Also, super jealous that you discovered the key to high school social situations WHILE STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL. Damn. But! Even though I am an adult, I am lucky enough to get a second-chance prom every year in college (HOLLA USC QUASA’s Second Chance Prom!!) I’ll be keeping your awesome experience in mind as I trash it up this weekend ;)

ps this year’s theme is Zombie Prom. I know.

• MissKnowItAll April 4th, 2012 8:07 PM

When I read the theme for your prom i totally thought “OMG WIZARDS OF WAVERLY PLACE!!!”

• meghanj April 4th, 2012 8:24 PM

YAY PROM!!!!! prom here isn’t for a few months and am I completely 100% silly and a loser if I make a mix CD called “PROM??????????” and give it to a cute boy and run away?

I don’t even want a prom date really what are you doing to me, high school…….

• mariaantoniavs April 4th, 2012 8:33 PM

haha, Ruby you’re dad’s awesome!! I love reading your stories, they always make me laugh!!!

• Maddy April 4th, 2012 8:52 PM

Donkey orifice is an interesting insult. I was wondering what the “idea” was behind the journals. Is it so we can see other people’s teenage existences and relate? Are there ever going to be new diary-writers? (Not that you guys aren’t great!) I would very much like to read a diary from Minna, as this collage is though-provoking for me. And also to explain the salted floor.

• KinuKinu April 4th, 2012 9:19 PM

I loved all of them ♥♥♥ These are so cool.ROOKIE RULES ♥♥

• dianeisnotmyname April 4th, 2012 10:11 PM

Naomi- as someone also recovering from anxiety, I’ve found that writing down three good things that happen every day can help when I’m having either a really good or really bad week. It seems like you are good at focusing on the “little things” like nature, so just remind yourself of those when you’re sad. (Of course, it’s not that simple as I’ve found but little things right)! Also, for me, it was actually a blessing in disguise when I was surprised by my period. My anxiety typically gets so much worse when I am PMSing, and when it doesn’t it means I’m making progress! Your PMS doesn’t seem too bad if you could sit out and chill and relax whilst not realizing the hormonal chaos taking place in your body. (of course we’re two different people so our situations could be different, but optimism right?)

Dylan- I also love that feeling of being on top of the world after people screw you over. There’s a great sense of accomplishment through that that I can identify with. This weekend is my “crushboy’s” (as in former thing that’s no longer a thing basically like the song Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye) birthday as well and I don’t know what to do.

• missblack April 4th, 2012 11:03 PM

Awwwww Katherine I am SO HAPPY FOR YOUUUUUUU!!!!! (Sam sounds awesome!!!!)
    You have officially given me hope for my life. :D

Little&Trivial

• meanjellybeans April 4th, 2012 11:26 PM

Katherine, the chain of events leading up to you and Sam going to prom together sounds like the kind of thing I dream up when things aren’t going my way. The fact that this happened, and went well, for that matter, is awesome and makes me very happy for you.

Also, a guy who volunteers a perspiration forecast sounds about your speed. That sounded insulting. It wasn’t meant to be, I wasn’t trying to say that you are all perspiration-y or that you can only get guys with significant amounts of perspiration. I just meant he sounds a little offbeat. Whatever you know what I meant bye.

• Bella April 5th, 2012 2:04 AM

I haven’t even read the full articles, but the fact that the new kid sounded like Sam Weir when he says “Oh. Hi Cindy” makes me so so so so so so so happy.

• Maddy April 5th, 2012 2:35 PM

Naomi- I feel your pain! Not literally, now, but recently yes. I got stabbed in the leg on Sunday with a fencing weapon which is dull but still managed to scrape and horribly bruise me through my pants. And I had my period at the same time. Bruise buddies! Hopefully it’s feeling better :)

• Hannah. April 5th, 2012 5:21 PM

Naomi – don’t get creeped out. But you have incredibly cute feet. :)

• Naomi April 5th, 2012 6:19 PM

not creepy!!! i like my cute feet :)
      (apart from my poorly toe atm)

• isabellehungryghost April 6th, 2012 8:11 AM

hahahaa! ruby! this is gorgeous!

• Mom April 6th, 2012 6:29 PM

i’m happy when you are happy. burst out laughing at the little critter flyin.

• Dylan April 7th, 2012 12:41 PM

Imagine it flying into your face