Style

Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?

Inspiration from our favorite intrepid explorers.

I’ve always loved, LOVED movies about a group of kids having an adventure, especially if they end up saving the world, whether it’s literally THE WORLD (Super 8), or the one they reside in (The Goonies). Hell, even if it’s just a personal exploration or a curious mystery, I love it. So let’s take some fashion inspiration from these young explorers and pack a lunch, fill up our canteens, and go on a search for buried treasure—or at least do some geocaching.

Clockwise from left: dress, $69, Urban Outfitters; swan necklace, $17, Lulu’s; dress, $179, Urban Outfitters; swan flats, $34, Urban Outfitters; flower headband, $45, Loulou Loves You.

In Picnic At Hanging Rock (1975), a peculiar group of early 20th century schoolgirls mysteriously vanish while exploring an ancient volcanic mass on Valentine’s Day. It was directed by Peter Weir, who’s also responsible for Dead Poets Society, another intense coming-of-age film. The girls’ frilly white dresses and the frequent swan imagery give the movie a dreamy-yet-disturbing ambiance that makes it ideal for a double feature along with The Virgin Suicides. I suggest throwing a picnic with your girl gang and dressing up in cream-colored outfits, telling each other secrets, and making more flower crowns—but this time, add some pieces of amethyst for that mystical steeze. Just don’t go exploring any strange rocks, please.

Clockwise from top left: bomber jacket, $60, Topshop; palm tree top, $52, Topshop; intergalactic leggings, $55, Nasty Gal; lip print flats, $50, ASOS.

I have to be careful not to let this paragraph turn into a 10-page essay about The Goonies (1985), because I love it so much. It was difficult picking only one character from this group of treasure-hunting misfits whose style I wanted to analyze. Should it be Mouth (played by Corey Feldman) with his Purple Rain shirt and Members Only jacket? Or how about Mama Fratelli, who seems to be imitating Faye Dunaway’s look in Bonnie and Clyde, but with a goth twist? After much debate, I made the unexpected choice of Chunk, which ended up making a lot of sense because his outfit is the most interesting: a brightly-colored Hawaiian shirt, plaid pants, and a red windbreaker. WHAT A BOLD MIX! Now, I did not want to be too literal and throw down a Tommy Bahama shirt with grandpa plaids, so I instead visualized what the Female Chunk might wear, incorporating his print- and color-mixing fearlessness. I am so into this look.

Clockwise from top left: boys polo, $8, Target; Mexican Coke; vintage taper jeans, $178, Levi’s; glasses, $14, Fred Flare; black leather Converse, $65, Zappo’s.

In Stand By Me (1986), four friends go on a quest to find the body of a missing boy. It takes place in the late 1950s, when the all-American “greaser” wore cuffed Levi’s and Converse sneakers. On days when I shun my many dresses and put on the only pair of jeans I own, this is the look I like to go for (sans all the railroad track dirt). You can imitate the classic bad-boy style with some cuffed jeans, a fitted polo tee (choosing one from the boys department adds extra authenticity), and some high-top Chucks. For a shout-out to Teddy Duchamp (Corey Feldman again!), put on a pair of black-rimmed glasses—they look cute on practically everyone. Make a playlist of all the oldies you want to sing along to, and you are good to go.

Clockwise from left: plaid shirt, $13, JCPenney’s; jacket, $50, ModCloth; corduroy pants, $90, Saks Fifth Avenue; sneakers, $40,Keds; vintage name bracelet, $16, Urban Outfitters.

Elle Fanning’s character in Super 8 (2011) has such a sophisticated look for a 13-year-old. But, at the same time, her style is casual, which is a good thing, seeing as she has to dodge flying debris and extraterrestrials throughout the movie. In one scene, she wears corduroy pants, which I have always dug, especially if they have a ’70s flare. Pair your cords with a fitted flannel top and one simple, pretty piece of jewelry, like these vintage name bracelets from Urban Outfitters. (So bummed that they don’t have my name, but check to see if they have yours!)

Clockwise from left: dress, $50, ModCloth; coat, $63, YesStyle; romper, $70, ModCloth; vintage binoculars, $39, Etsy; blue saddle shoes, $79, Bass; cherry flower saddle shoes, $129, Rachel Antonoff for Bass; wicker cross-body bag, $98, Dillard’s.

Moonrise Kingdom! It’s the movie we’ve all been waiting for! Sam and Suzy are young sweethearts in lurve who decide to run away together. Director Wes Anderson’s younger characters are always unique and precocious, so we can expect them to possess a wardrobe just as idiosyncratic. This takes place in the ’60s, which explains Suzy’s perfect collection of Peter Pan collar mini-dresses, knee socks, and—wait a minute, that’s what YOURS TRULY wears in 2012! OK, yes, I am biased because these mod outfits look like something straight out of my closet, but they’re nonetheless adorable. It’s so much easier to find vintage-style dresses nowadays and ModCloth has tons of them. Wear them with knee highs, saddle shoes, and a sweet little pea coat with a detachable capelet to keep warm in the storm. ♦

• Toria Crux March 15th, 2012 7:15 PM

Love it all! Oh, and they did NOT have my name. (Tessa) or my sister’s name. (Abby)

• Tessa March 16th, 2012 3:22 AM

(YAY! A fellow Tessa!)

I cannot wait for Moonrise Kingdom and I effing love The Goonies outfit. Loved what you styled based on the films. Rad post.

• tessatalkalot March 18th, 2012 2:23 AM

There’s more of my kind? We should start a club.

• Fortune_Goddess March 15th, 2012 7:22 PM

Okay, I cannot even believe it. My TWO FAVORITE MOVIES. SUPER 8 AND STAND BY ME. I love you, Rookie. You’re the love of my life. I cried at both of them.

• Tara March 15th, 2012 7:29 PM

I always get secretly happy when I see Picnic at Hanging rock stills. this is because Irma, the curly haired brunette who is on the far right of the second still second row, is my mother. Perhaps that’s added to my fondness of the film despite the fact that it is simply everything I love (Victorian girls! pretty dresses! eerie music! psychological thrills)

I love stand by me and the goonies with fiery passions. and super 8 has a great edge. I am dying of excitement for moonrise kingdom. I can’t count the number of times I’ve watched the trailer…..

• Marisa March 15th, 2012 7:40 PM

Your mother is beautiful!

• moonchild March 15th, 2012 8:40 PM

HOLY SLDKFJLSDKF! ARE YOU SERIOUS??

**no… I’m severus.. sorry. just hadda put that out there.**

Gwen

• Tavi March 15th, 2012 10:25 PM

that’s bonkers!!!!! no wonder you’re so magical

• Tara March 15th, 2012 11:41 PM

aw thanks. yes she’s beautiful isn’t she? over winter break she showed me her copy of the script that she collaged the cover of with article snippets and photos (it’s so rookie-esque. I think if rookie was around when she was a teen she’d have been an avid fan)

• ivoire March 16th, 2012 2:11 AM

WHAAAAT. thats so amazing. omggggggjggssyjjn

• Anaheed March 16th, 2012 5:13 AM

This is now my favorite Rookie fact. Wowza.

• Marie March 16th, 2012 4:03 PM

OMG that’s so cool!!!!!!!!!!

• KinuKinu March 15th, 2012 7:32 PM

Wonderful!! I loved Elle in Super 8.
    the goonies= best movie ever!!
    I went to the Urban Outfitters website for the bracelet(mindlessly).My name is Safiya.Duh,they are not going to have that :)

• missblack March 15th, 2012 7:33 PM

OMG Corey Feldman with those glasses and the black t-shirt!!! Please God let me be as cool as him.

Little&Trivial

• Yellie March 15th, 2012 7:36 PM

Sweet! Oh, I had to smile when i saw the babyruth, oh Chunk! :)

• MissKnowItAll March 15th, 2012 7:40 PM

GOONIES!!!!
    I love that movie so much it brings tears to my eyes. The Sandlot was also very amazing.
    Another suggestion is Spirited Away and Kiki’s delivery service. Both are in cartoon form but I simply love both of these movies so much.

• Kathryn March 15th, 2012 7:44 PM

these are all so awesome!

MOONRISE KINGDOM! MOONRISE KINGDOM! MOONRISE KINGDOM!

• ellaronnie March 15th, 2012 7:46 PM

I wish boys dressed like they did in Stand by me today.
    And speaking of The Goonies, I’ve always thought Martha Plimpton is one of the prettiest people ever.

imaginenonsense.blogspot.com

• SunshineJilly March 15th, 2012 7:47 PM

OMGosh, Marie!
    I, too, own the exact same wardrobe complete with peter pan colors, colorful tights/knee socks, and mini dresses.
    LET’S BE FRIENDS!
    I LOVE NEW FRIENDS!
    LET’S ALL BE BEST FRIENDS!
    (I love Rookie so so much. Notably, I am a 23 year-old woman who find herself on this “teenage girl” website regularly, but I relate to it so often. You’re all wonderful, beautiful human beings!)

• starcollector March 15th, 2012 10:46 PM

Totally agree with this. Let’s have a global Rookie get-together complete with Wes Anderson movies, Sofia Coppola as a guest speaker, arts-and-crafts, and a high school dance! Okay? Okay.

• yankee bayonet March 15th, 2012 7:56 PM

‘Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?’ by Joyce Carol Oates — such a great short story

• smalltrade March 15th, 2012 7:58 PM

i love this solely for its title. “where are you going, where have you been?” is one of my absolute favorite short stories. i’m gonna scroll up now and read the post, which i already know i’ll love! thanks!

• impromptulove March 15th, 2012 10:55 PM

Oh my god, right? I wrote my favorite-so-far literary analysis paper on this story last year. So much wow.

I would be interested in a fashion shoot inspired by that story, given that there is no glamorization of creepy rapey abductiony stuff.

• Marjainez March 15th, 2012 7:59 PM

OMG Marie – amazing text & the whole idea!!
    + I AM D-Y-I-N-G TO SEE MOONRISE KINGDOM!!!! (wes anderson for life)

• themagicpomegranate March 15th, 2012 8:13 PM

This is brillant! I never realized how dope Chunk’s style is! I NEED those leggings. <3

• KinuKinu March 15th, 2012 10:17 PM

BRILLIANT AREN’T THEY???

• preachypreach March 15th, 2012 8:16 PM

moonrise kingdom is going to be the best ever.

• darksideoftherainbow March 15th, 2012 8:32 PM

Oh my goodness…I’m so dying to see moonrise kingdom! I canNOT wait. Love the style pics you chose for it!

• Flossie March 15th, 2012 8:46 PM

I’d give my own grandmother for a pair of Rachel Antonoff Bass saddle shoes (sorry, Nan) but they’re nigh impossible to get in Australia. The Bass website doesn’t deliver internationally, and I know some styles sometimes pop up on sites like Modcloth and freepeople but it’s never the full range and shipping is exorbitant.

Does anyone know any other websites or ways of getting RA Bass saddle shoes to Australia? Help me out here, or my grandmother gets it! (sorry Nan)

• carofine March 15th, 2012 8:55 PM

The Goonies was my favorite movies growing up! I never would have thought that I would read a fashion how-to inspired by it. I love this article! There’s so many adventure movies I need to see.

• Abby March 15th, 2012 8:56 PM

AHHH I need those pink saddle shoes. SO MUCH. Not that I would ever shell out so much for them… okay… maybe I would… but not until my parents won’t find out, because they’d kill me. Also, the dresses at the top are so preeeetttttyyyy….

• sarahissomewhere March 15th, 2012 8:57 PM

I love adventure movies! Some of my personal favorites up there <3 Feelin a deep need to dress like Chuck now.

• Amy Rose March 15th, 2012 9:11 PM

OH MY GOD that second outfit is perfect. Someone showed me The Goonies for the first time this summer and my mind was blown apart. Also, this fucking song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scu81EW4UC8&feature=related

• Pashupati March 15th, 2012 9:20 PM

There are all sort of shops/stores for tourists in my city which make similar name jewelry for not-so-much-money I guess, but I think old jewelry with other persons’ names are more interesting (because you imagine the other person’s life, etc.)
    Thanks for making me discover geocaching!

• Adrienne March 15th, 2012 10:10 PM

Oh my Morgan Freeman. I was just looking at those galaxy tights on the Topshop website the other day, and spotted those swan flats at UO last month! I was literally drooling. And I must have those lip flats from Asos…

Oooh and also, I’m kind of obsessed with that Goonies look. And Elle Fanning. Plus, I can’t wait for Moonrise Kingdom!

• starcollector March 15th, 2012 10:34 PM

Let me just say MOONRISE KINGDOM jslkfalskafsa i’m so friggin’ excited. I saw the trailer in the previews once and I started freaking out and yelling “BEAUTIFUL! BEAUTIFUL!” to no one in particular.

• DitzyMo March 15th, 2012 10:36 PM

I’m so pumped for Moonrise Kingdom!

• Tavi March 15th, 2012 11:02 PM

i feel like the month moonrise kingdom comes out, our entire theme will just have to be MOONRISE KINGDOM, with a different picture of wes anderson’s face as the background every day

• Tara March 15th, 2012 11:42 PM

can you please do that
      please

• caro nation March 15th, 2012 11:54 PM

Wes having a snack.

Wes jokes around awkwardly with the Coppolas! Oh Roman, you card!

Wes combing his perpetually disheveled hair.

Wes, watching reality television. He’s not ashamed, he’s got a BA in Philosophy! It’s satirical statement on the bourgeoisie.

Wes, is that dad’s belt?

(If actual pictures of Wes performing any of these actions are nonexistent, ASK PETRA TO STAGE A LOOKALIKE CONTEST because she has been missing from Rookie and I miss her.)

• FlorenceEyre July 3rd, 2012 11:33 PM

Do it do it do it. I recently saw it and I’ m gonna watch it (at least) 785 times. If your

• queserasera March 15th, 2012 11:23 PM

love the goonies & stand by me! GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE!

• caro nation March 15th, 2012 11:57 PM

KATE WINSLET/JULIET HULME/ANNE PERRY IS LOOKING FORWARD TO MOONRISE KINGDOM AS YOU CAN SEE.

• costumegirl March 16th, 2012 12:43 AM

Lovely artical, perhaps you should interview the Costume Designers that designed the costumes for those characters looks that have become iconic & why the made the choices that you so admire?

Goonies- Richard La Motte
    Super 8 -Ha Nguyen
    Picnic @Hanging Rock- Judith Dorsmun
    DPS- Marilyn Matthews
    Virgin Suicides-Nancy Steiner
    Bonnie & Clyde- Theadora Van Runkle
    Stand by Me- Susan Moore
    Moonrise Kingdom-Kaisa Walicks-Maimone

• TessAnnesley March 16th, 2012 1:28 AM

I had a heart attack when I saw the trailer for Moonrise Kingdom – the whole sixties-mod-Peter-Pan-collar-peacoat is what I wear SO often! And the saddle shoes! And Stand By Me! AND ROOKIE IS THE BEST!

• Sea goddess March 16th, 2012 2:33 AM

Oh Lord, rookie this is by far one of my fav posts you guys done. Its absolutely perfect i really like all the outfits, and yes movies of kids on adventures is the best, i still wish i could do all the things they do !

• Susann March 16th, 2012 4:02 AM

Moonrise Kingdom sounds like something I HAVE to watch!

• heybabyitwasalright March 16th, 2012 4:20 AM

It needs to be said- What about HARRIET THE SPY!? If I have a ‘style icon’ than Harriet is it.

• TAUA March 16th, 2012 6:59 AM

I think my heart just exploded because of that Goonies outfit. It is lovely.

• NavyAndTeal March 16th, 2012 10:07 AM

I really loved this article! When ‘they’ say “they don’t make films like that anymore!” It’s these films -that you dream about for the rest of your life and wish your group of friends acted like the certain group of friends in the movie – that ‘they’ are talking about

• sttefaaa March 16th, 2012 10:23 AM

Elle Fanning! Shes awesome and I loved her in super 8!

• Saraleebread March 16th, 2012 12:10 PM

OH THIS IS BY FAR ONE OF MY FAVORITE POSTS. I Wish I had a wardrobe that was complete with all of these outfits! And plus anything complete with Stand By Me is an A+ in my book. :D

• RockHatesMiriam March 16th, 2012 3:06 PM

ohmygosh!!! I need all of theese clothes in my life, and matching outfits for all my friends so I don’t have to wish that my real life friends looked/acted like movie characters…

• Hayley March 16th, 2012 3:59 PM

oh my gosh geocaching sounds amazing thanks for introducing me to it.

• isabellehungryghost March 16th, 2012 4:41 PM

im so into the third look!

• WanderlustQueen March 16th, 2012 7:20 PM

I do love this gorgeous post, but I mist comment on Rookie’s endorsement of the brand Urban Outfitters.

Co-owner/founder/and Chairman Richard Hayne is ultra-conservative and has contributed money to a few anti-gay, anti-choice politicians including Rick Santorum.

More recently the company came under scrutiny in it’s home state of Pennsylvania where local artists and craftspeople in Philadelphia have noticed shocking similarities between their work and what’s found on UO store shelves.

All I’m saying is that in order to truly make a statement with fashion you have to stand behind and support the brands you wear! We’re all rad ladies, I’m sure if we tried we could find just as many adorable vintage-inspired pieces elsewhere.

• Kaleidoscopeeyes March 16th, 2012 11:56 PM

WHAT? A post by Marie and know z’s in place of s’s? Everything I know is wrong!

• Marie March 17th, 2012 2:38 AM

I’M SAWRE I JUST GOTSTA GO WIT DA FLOW

• Casey March 17th, 2012 1:03 AM

Soo stoked for Moonrise Kingdom, and Super 8 was superb! I adored Elle Fanning, and the filmography was amazing!

• whodatgal March 17th, 2012 8:50 AM

Omigod Omigod Omigod I love this so much. Apart from the goonies, before ROOKIE I knew nothing about all those american teenage girls movie’s like the virgin suicides and picnic on hanging rock exectera…THIS IS AMAZING- and you’re Mum was in it?!!?! (TO Tara Niami) WOWZER. Sometimes I wish I was an american like my fellow Rookies! All well.

Marie you are awesome.

• Tara March 18th, 2012 12:37 AM

yes! Karen Robson! she’s the loveliest!

• winkmonster March 17th, 2012 2:08 PM

elle fanning is my fave actress and i loved her look in super 8! good job at interpreting her style!

• winkmonster March 17th, 2012 2:10 PM

favorite actress. my bad.

• Hayley March 18th, 2012 3:29 PM

I can’t wear shift dresses! Could we feature something else in the style post, please?

I know that other people have no say in what I wear and I am ‘allowed’ to wear whatever I want, no matter what Cosmopolitan says. That’s not the issue. It’s just that I have big hips and shift dresses squeeze and ride up and uh…I basically hate them. They look nice on models?

• KusterBeaton March 18th, 2012 5:28 PM

You forgot about Now & Then! Some great 60′s stylin’s in that movie. Plus it’s just a great movie, with a great soundtrack.

• breakitdown March 19th, 2012 6:21 PM

Time Bandits.

• TheTreeWitches July 3rd, 2012 4:06 AM

I wish I could dress like the cast of Stand By Me… sadly I don’t think I’m cool enough to pull it off…

• takethreestepsback April 2nd, 2013 1:02 AM

After the fact, but I always get so excited to see ‘Picnic at Hanging Rock’ as style inspiration for Rookie girls because I live locally to Hanging Rock!
    That’s so exciting about Tara’s mum being in the film!