Fun

Literally the Best Thing Ever: Outer Space

(Also literally the scariest and most beautiful thing ever.)

Illustration by Minna

Far beyond Earth exists a void of never-ending darkness and celestial bodies. It has the potential to be the scariest place ever or the most amazing place ever. It’s called outer space and it’s fucking awesome.

Outer space is so beautiful! It’s filled with misty plasma clouds, swirling galaxies, and millions and millions of stars. Space is so mesmerizing that it’s served as the muse for some of the greatest directors, writers, and musicians of all time. What would musical artists like Air, the Chemical Brothers, and M83 be without outer space? It’s been explored in classic movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Fifth Element, and Star Wars. Designer Christopher Kane made outer space the theme of his 2011 resort collection, spawning dozens of knock-offs.

It’s not surprising that so many people are inspired by space. It’s a blank slate for our imaginations. We have no idea what aliens or planets beyond our galaxy look like, but ever since the Renaissance humans have been dreaming up all kinds of possibilities. Haven’t you been dreaming about space too?

Think of all the planets we haven’t explored yet! The Kepler spaceship has spotted 2,321 potential planets in our galaxy so far—that’s just a fraction of the hundreds of BILLIONS of planets that scientists believe are inside our ONE GALAXY. And scientists say there could be 100 billion galaxies! Are you really freaked out yet, because I am, like, really freaked out.

But just think of all the aliens we haven’t met yet! Why haven’t they contacted us? Forty-six of the potential planets Kepler’s seen are in the “habitable zone,” meaning liquid water could exist on them, which means, who knows, ALIENS!? And 10 of those habitable-zone planets are near-Earth-size. What if each of those 10 planets is an identical copy of Earth and, like us, they don’t have the technology to call up another planet? Or maybe those planets support bloodthirsty monsters who have been plotting their attack on Earth for centuries! Or, like the History Channel show Ancient Aliens explains, aliens descended on Earth thousands of years ago and helped the Egyptians build pyramids and the Aztecs build temples and, essentially, were the inspiration for all religious icons that descended from the sky? I know that sounds totally ridiculous, but you have to watch Ancient Aliens to understand that it’s TRUE, IT’S ALL TRUE.

Outer space really is the greatest. Sometimes I’ll look up at the moon and get this intense realization that humans have walked on it. I mean, seriously?! We, HUMANS, have traveled to space! It is an accepted fact, old news, stuck in the history textbooks. But when you really concentrate on that idea, the idea that we have the means to travel into outer space and are working on traveling farther and farther into it, it is just mind-blowing. Wow. Now that is literally the best thing ever. ♦

• missblack March 20th, 2012 11:11 PM

Outer Space has terrified me since I was six years old.
    But still, it’s so MAGICAL that I can’t help but love it, too.

Little&Trivial

• Lily March 20th, 2012 11:17 PM

Outer space is so cool. I love it. ’2001: A Space Odyssey’ is my favoritest book ever!

• Laia March 20th, 2012 11:19 PM

YES ON OUTER SPACE AND 5TH ELEMENT AND ANCIENT ALIENS.

everything.everything.everything.

• Kyle March 20th, 2012 11:21 PM

outer space and ~inner space~, both terrifying, both everything there is

• Skatapus March 20th, 2012 11:33 PM

Can I share an absolutely incredible site with you all?

It’s has actual transcripts of the conversations from a bunch of space missions. Finally find out what exactly it is that they all talk about up there! :D
    A warning though, you may waste hours reading through all of these.

• Tyknos93 March 21st, 2012 12:16 AM

Your link is brilliant.

• I.ila March 21st, 2012 11:36 AM

Oh my goodness I just read the Apollo 13 transcript that link is so cool.

• Ren March 21st, 2012 1:15 PM

Five hours, not wasted. THIS IS INCREDIBLE

• sabrina March 21st, 2012 2:14 PM

wow, this website is awesome!

• KinuKinu March 22nd, 2012 12:22 PM

Thanks for that link.I bookmarked it cuz it’s COOOOOOL

• Mags March 20th, 2012 11:47 PM

I am literally obsessed with space. And the more I think of all the endless possibilities, the more I freak out that my head might explode. It is definitely the best thing ever, EVER.

• starcollector March 20th, 2012 11:54 PM

Outer space is an absolutely frightening concept. But looking at pictures of it is marvelous. One day, they’ll have one of those “Planet Earth” specials about outer space where they’ll take a camera up in space and film crazy stuff happening! They’d call it… “Planet… Not Earth”. Oh I’m too too funny.

• Tyknos93 March 21st, 2012 12:13 AM

Why Rookie must you have excellent taste in music, movies, guys and everything else? It’s like Wal Mart for the young female mind. I mean that as a compliment… I would be bored to tears at my middle of nowhere university if not for you.

• Maggie March 21st, 2012 12:14 AM

What color is the universe?
    (around minute 4)

• Susann March 21st, 2012 1:57 AM

Mind-blowing. Exactly!

• whodatgal March 21st, 2012 2:45 AM

I’m really sorry, but I can’t even read this really! The universe and space and nothingness is the scariest thing on Earth (or outta Earth) to me! I can’t bear the idea that once I die there will be no more. Forever and ever. I hate being bored and I hate being lonely. This is probably a brilliant post though! GO ROOKIE!

• MissKnowItAll March 21st, 2012 8:45 AM

When I was 7 my mom took me to a planetarium and it was literally the most scariest thing I’d ever seen. Whenever I looked up I was constantly afraid of being sucked up into the black nothingness of the space. I eventually ended up loving everything about space. My parents even named a star after me for my 15th birthday.

• jess March 21st, 2012 11:47 AM

I always tend to get freaked out when I think too much about the Universe. I mean, yes, it’s all magical and mysterious and, just, mind-blowing. Imagine if our entire existence, the whole Universe’s existence, is that we were sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure.

• NavyAndTeal March 21st, 2012 12:30 PM

Thank You Thank You Thank You For This Post!!! Space Is The Thing That Amazes Me Most So I Knew It Would Definitely Come Up In Rookie’s Exploration Month! Christopher Kane Is One Of y Favourite Designers Because Of The Ideas He Has… That Resort Collection Was One Of My Favourite Things That Year And I Adored How It Transended So Many Different Spces And Places… And Usually I Hate Rip-Offs!!! Thanks Again

Andrew
    NavyAndTeal

• KinuKinu March 21st, 2012 1:04 PM

i ♥♥♥♥ Space.I’m a little bit of a sci-fi junkie.Fifth Element was a genius movie and (OF COURSE) Star Wars Is a classic-genius movie.I think you cannot even begin to think about space without thinking of Star Wars.
    Space is never ending.There is an infinity amount of space never to be explored yet….and maybe humans will never be smart enough to create the technology to travel to the never ending end of space.I don’t know……Maybe I think about this stuff too much……Have any of you girls watched Sliders ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliders
    I LOVE THIS SHOW SOOO MUCH IT’S AWESOME AND IT’S GREAT!!! If you haven’t it’s on Netflix.GREAT SHOW ♥♥ :)

• sabrina March 21st, 2012 2:09 PM

I find space so mind blowing. The fact the universe is infinite completely baffles me, it just keeps on going. We are pratically nothing in relation to the WHOLE universe. Every time we study space in a physics lesson our whole class gets completely mind blown, its such an amazing thing. Oooh..and one really cool fact about light in space. If it was physically possible to look at the earth from millions of light years away, at this moment in time we’d see dinasours roaming the earth. How awesome is that! Not even light can keep up with the vastness of our universe, its just such an amazing thing.

• rodmila March 21st, 2012 2:21 PM

wow! this is the story of my childhood… In the 90s was really really popular all the things about aliens, and I remeber when I saw the films of a “real autopsy of an alien” I freaked out, for real

I was really really scared to see what was going on under my bed or getting in to dark rooms, affraid to find and white alien with a huge head watching at me

• Ben March 21st, 2012 6:15 PM

I love space and totaly agree! It’s so scary and amazing! It’s like impossible to even wrap your mind around infinate space that gose on forever! How’s that possible! I also love the deep sea! This monthes theme is awesome!

• RachelNoelle March 25th, 2012 11:57 PM

Space is terrifyingly fascinating.

• emilybot July 10th, 2012 9:27 PM

Here’s my insane, occasionally on-topic blog about manned spaceflight: http://asonlynasacan.tumblr.com/

There’s a lot of us space fans out there :)