Everything else

Editor’s Letter

March 2012: Exploration

One of Joseph Cornell's wonderful boxes.

Hey, Rookies! Welcome to March. Do you have your PHYSICAL ACTIVITY HATS, GOING OUTSIDE SHOES, and DOING THINGS TAPE MUSTACHES all ready and set for this month of EXPLORATION? I do! For March brings spring fever, and with the third quarter of school really dragging along, I am ITCHING to get moving on things—on LIFE. I just spent the past three months holed up in bed on Netflix, debating every night whether to rewatch Sharpay’s Fabulous Adventure or Bratz Kidz: Sleep-Over Adventure. Now that I feel educated on adventures, I just want to go out and have my own, you know?

We’ll save the rest of this issue for college and careers and outer space and the deep sea, though. Right now, school doesn’t end for months, and the ideas of the outside world and life after youth feel so abstract. At this moment I would like to deem spring fever as the time to explore the surroundings you’ve got. When you feel physically isolated from the rest of the world, you have to make your own.

There’s something to be said for nights spent alone in your room listening to music and sulking; for Friday afternoons that somehow pass both too quickly and too slowly, when you and your friends walk around the whole time waiting for a new street to appear where you’re sick of seeing the same ones you’ve passed every morning on your way to school. ’Cause you might go home for dinner and realize that you guys didn’t do anything, but you talked for a long time and found yourself relating to people in a way you hadn’t for a long time. You might start watching a movie alone at home at night because you feel distant or lost, and realize by the end that you’ve found a little piece of yourself in the characters, and feel connected to the world for a brief moment.

There’s something magical going on when your own world might be the only one you know, and you hold on to the things that you love extra hard, the bands and movies and books and friends. Hating everything (euphemism for “hormones”) kind of makes every emotion and experience more intense, and it means you’ll identify with a band or movie or book or friend in an especially strong way that I am told there’s not enough time for it once you’re an adult.

If you want a change of scenery but know that summer camp won’t start for months, you have to create it yourself. Take different routes to and from school; if you walk through alleyways (DURING THE DAY ONLY PLEASE AND ONLY WIDE, SUNNY ONES AND OH MAYBE WITH A FRIEND), houses you’re used to start to look different and telephone lines become interesting and new dimensions seem to appear. Seek out places that don’t look like your own town. If you walk along the patch of grass by the highway, you might be able to convince yourself you’re anywhere else, or in a place you’ve created far from neighborhood you know.

Try to keep a diary. Keeping up with it is easier and less daunting when you remember that not everything has to be super-good writing or incredibly profound—just try and keep an unedited stream-of-consciousness going throughout it. No formatting necessary, just throw everything in there, wrappers and clippings and napkins and notes.

A more convenient way to collect clippings, photos from magazines, and other random things you enjoy, might be to start a Tumblr. Just don’t get sucked into spending all your time on it—you gotta DO something with the inspiration you accumulate, or else you’ll feel all groggy and lazy again. If you’re sick of how you dress, keep an eye out for clothes that remind you of the images that have caught your eye and your heart, and you’ll create your own style by feeling like you’ve internalized and made part of yourself all the things you really love through these clothes that hold personal references and memories.

Absorb everything and go through phases of different interests and identities and come back to yourself with whatever stayed in your mind all along. It’s scary and exciting and through this next month it might feel necessary. Then, once the time comes for the final frontier, you’ll have an especially unique way of taking it all in.

To quote the dog from Sharpay’s Fabulous Adventure: supposedly cute head tilt to the side.

Love,
Tavi

• moonchild March 1st, 2012 3:04 PM

OH MY GOD JOSEPH CORNELL! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

• moonchild March 1st, 2012 3:11 PM

Yeah. I feel such strong emotions when listening to Joni Mitchell, so on the bus I always listen to her music and it makes me feel like I’m NOT on my way to math class, but instead I’m running through a beach town or winking at people on the streets of Morgantown… I guess it’s my way of having an adventure without moving (yeahhhh I’m pretty lazy.)

Gwen

• moonchild March 1st, 2012 3:13 PM

Also, hehe sorry to keep replying to my own comment, but what is teh theme for next month? It still says exploration… is it just not being announced yet?

Thanks :)

• Lauren March 1st, 2012 3:24 PM

Do you see the Exploration graphic, Moonchild? It should be there!

• moonchild March 1st, 2012 3:30 PM

Yeah… I just meant the spot where it asks for submissions, I thought that usually on the first day of the month it says what to submit for the NEXT month…

But maybe I’m wrong! :) Is it going to be announced later? yeah… I’m probably totally off… haha

• Anaheed March 1st, 2012 4:16 PM

Next month is Transformation!

• Libby March 1st, 2012 3:24 PM

he’s amazing. We had to do an art project the other year, researching & recreating the work of an artist, and I read a fantastic book, A Joseph Cornell album by Dore Ashton. It’s well worth finding a copy of!

• Narnie March 2nd, 2012 12:08 AM

YES! I got so excited when I saw the picture!!!

• Tabea March 1st, 2012 3:06 PM

I think it’s a good topic!

• Libby March 1st, 2012 3:08 PM

I love Sharpay’s Fabulous Adventure! I watched it, home alone on New Year’s Eve. Yep.
    And I’m ready to get lost in my hometown.

• Marguerite March 1st, 2012 3:46 PM

hehe – i was watching ponyo by myself – i hate ponyo (no offense mr miyazaki)- all the characters are really weird

• Ana March 1st, 2012 3:10 PM

im already feeling the spring fever! and i know how you feel about being cooped up with netflix

• Susann March 1st, 2012 3:13 PM

I can’t wait for this month’s issue! Exploration sounds promising ;)

• Kathryn March 1st, 2012 3:15 PM

Yay! I’m excited for this month’s theme. and HOW IS FEBRUARY ALREADY OVER?? Has it already been 6 months since you guys started? crazy

• Kathryn March 1st, 2012 3:17 PM

also, I wish I had spring fever already. there’s like a million feet of snow outside here in minnesota. ughh

• Naomi March 1st, 2012 3:21 PM

tavi this is perfectttttt <3<3<3

• Narita March 1st, 2012 3:31 PM

This is already SO GOOD. I’ve been ‘enjoying’ the I Am Fourteen And Not Famous, Therefore I Am Wasting My Youth blues lately, for which I totally blame Disney Channel and their kind-of talented kiddies. Also, I’m bored out by where I live. It’s a small island and everyone knows eachother and the most exciting thing that happens here is when the water is low and I have to wait three hours until the ferry can bring me home which is totally not cool. Also, since I am considered weird, people here don’t like me because they’re not used to anything.

Long story short: more than ready to explore the Boring Depths Of Doom And Seas And Sheep.

• Nishat March 1st, 2012 3:52 PM

Oh my goodness… try the “I am 18 and have to study for average school exams/am not famous yet/my boyfriend lives on another continent” blues! I’m sure you’re doing great things for a fourteen year old! You sound extremely eloquent :-)

• mayaautumn March 1st, 2012 3:37 PM

Im really looking forward to this months theme! I have been inspired by exploration and expedition recently so this is really apt:D

• zoeah March 1st, 2012 3:44 PM

BEST THEME EVER. I just did an art project on Joseph Cornell and his work is so wonderful- it’s not overly self-focused in the way a lot of art is. Also, my best friend and I have this thing about going on adventures and exploring. Our favourites are spontaneous ones on school days without telling a soul.

• missblack March 1st, 2012 3:47 PM

Oh my God I am so ready to have adventures so I have decided that Finally, This Spring I am GOING to get my driver’s license. And I fully wish that I was going to summer camp like in Little Darlings because summer camp is just supposed to be so…awesome.

Little&Trivial

• Maddy March 1st, 2012 3:48 PM

wouldn’t “hormones” be a euphemism for “hating everything”? my english teacher is pregnant and that has definitely started to apply! should be a good month/theme! except we here in NE are having our first snowstorm…so much for spring

• Thepunkrocker March 4th, 2012 4:37 PM

ya. they’re having TRANSFORMATION as their next theme I think

• Giulia Lain March 1st, 2012 3:50 PM

That’s the best theme ever. That’s one of my favorite things in the world: exploration. I can’t wait to see all the posts ♥

• Nishat March 1st, 2012 3:50 PM

I am SO ready for the dinnertime post today. BEST kind of exploration ever is thrifting. I’ll probably have to read it tomorrow because dinner in the U.S. is the middle of the night here. Rookie is so North America :’)

I can’t complain though! I love this and I am so happy that Rookie is written, curated, created, etc. by such young, intelligent girls. I think we really need more of that. I am not really ever in the mood to read Justin Bieber interviews by 30-something year olds asking about how girls fawn over him. Not that there’s anything wrong with that (it’s just not my thing.)

This is also the most creative zine-y thing ever. I love the DIYs and the photography posts the most.

That’s enough from me. I’m excited for this month! Also, I have so seen Sharpay’s Fabulous Adventure (and I’m 18!)

• young_shields March 1st, 2012 3:52 PM

Hey,

is it still cool to send in submissions, or a little late?

Cheers,

Claire

• Alienor March 1st, 2012 3:55 PM

aahhhhh let’s do this then !

• macipisi123 March 1st, 2012 3:59 PM

rubber ring rubber ring rubber ring rubber ring

• taste test March 1st, 2012 5:24 PM

I don’t know how this relates to anything but it is the best smiths song ever so yay! :D

• macipisi123 March 1st, 2012 5:39 PM

the bit about identifying with art had that playing in my head (:

• youngfridays March 1st, 2012 4:10 PM

So excited for this month! Only yesterday I jumped out of my window to go for a walk around my neighbourhood, adventures here I come!

faithmrljak.blogspot.com

• Sorcha March 1st, 2012 4:10 PM

Stoked.

• andy March 1st, 2012 4:27 PM

i ride my bike on this one path and i always see new things and it’s all very interesting. this whole “exploration” theme is COMPLETELY what my brain has been like ever since the weather has been showing me some mercy.

• Lascelles March 1st, 2012 4:27 PM

“Bratz Kidz: Sleep-Over Adventure”

…not what I expected. It’s different. I will give it that :D

• Hunter March 1st, 2012 4:35 PM

i can’t wait for my adventures to and fro my room and basement :) i wish i could channel sharpay more often though in this Big Ol’ World.

• ellaronnie March 1st, 2012 4:47 PM

Can’t wait for spring to come! All winter I’ve been waiting to finally explore the mysterious railways I found just before the first snowfall last year. Looking forward to this month.

• taste test March 1st, 2012 5:01 PM

eee I am so excited for this month’s theme. it seems like it will be awesome.

I will hold on to my irrational hope that there will be something about urban exploration. even though it’s kind of dangerous and kind of illegal. I would write about it myself, but I don’t have much experience, so it would be pointless.

• Pashupati March 1st, 2012 7:38 PM

WOW. I don’t know who you are but I thought the same thing! <3
      I've only "explored" bunkers, which is or is not illegal depending on which one. In fact, I got into what I thought was another "not accessible" bunker from another one, though it's complicated to explain in words. (I didn't think bunkers worked like that, in fact!)
      It was great for the "ah, I'm in a bunker, so cool, like in a movie, I'm kewl, holy shit I'm scared, wow, I was in a bunker!" thing going on in my head. There were few objects, too, and some seemed to have been thrown in recently by other people entering in the bunkers. I hoped to find really old, WW2 era stuffs and, a thing I'm sure of, is soldiers didn't drink Orangina. (plus, cans weren't like that before the 80's)
      Though, I think I only explored the allowed bunkers, because there were stuffs written on the wall, the only thing was that it was at night.
      There is kind of a respectable number of bunkers where I live which is awesome.
      Maybe it's illegal, but it depends where and Rookie already talked about illegal drugs, so I guess it's not a problem.
      Ok, I should go back there and bring my camera.

• taste test March 1st, 2012 11:20 PM

a WW2 bunker? that sounds so cool! so was it underground? also, I cannot believe you did it at night. I could never do that. I would freak out. I am so happy there is someone else who likes this here, I was afraid people were going to comment and be like “urbex is dumb and you make me sad.”

the one time I did it, it was the least explorer-y thing ever. it was an accident. I was in a thrift store with a friend and we found a staircase. the second story had been empty for a long time. I took pictures with my ipod like a boss. the building was built in the 1910s and it was a school once. and oh my god, it was full of STUFF. I think the thrift store used the first two rooms as storage, and as you went further back you hit the school’s old junk. it was surreal. we found stuff like a whiteboard covered in equations, an unopened box of juicy juice from the 80s (yum), paint cans from the 50s, a door leaning against the wall, and a giant plywood rainbow. and then we went further back and we found a bathroom and as we got closer we realized it smelled like death. literally. it smelled like something was, uh, decomposing. that was freaky, so we got the fuck out of there after that, haha.

but it was awesome. I look at pictures of abandoned buildings a lot because I think they’re pretty, and when I was up there I kept thinking “oh my god this exists” because it felt like I’d stepped into a picture.

• MissKnowItAll March 1st, 2012 5:02 PM

I’m exploring this month by attempting to play tennis.

• mangachic March 1st, 2012 5:03 PM

I can’t wait for the space parts…wait was I just imagining things or did Tavi say that obsession in social circles would be in this month? how would that relate o: or maybe I’m just mixing everything up

• jess March 1st, 2012 5:14 PM

You’re spot on with the tumblr comment, Tavi. Unfortunately for me, I’ve been sucked into it beyond, what feels like, no return.

• Laia March 1st, 2012 5:30 PM

SO into this month!
    LET’S DO THIS.

• ai-ai March 1st, 2012 5:35 PM

This kind of woke me up. Which actually isn’t a very good thing since the time is 0.32 here and I should be sleeping soundly right now… But this winter has been a weird lump of watching retro anime instead of doing homework and feeling guilty about it but doing it anyway. Now I feel like I could actually get things done be alive and explore! And this made me start a tumblr, which will surely help me get inspired with stuff! I’ll just have to be careful not to get too addicted.

• Hedwig March 1st, 2012 7:43 PM

You know what you guys should do? (cause I’m to lazy to even begin thinking about thinking of doing of thinking) Start a treasure map exchange network!! Where rookies that live near each other exchange treasure maps by mail or email.

• Limey March 1st, 2012 7:57 PM

Wow I’m so so so excited!
    And I love the Cornell boxes. At my school there’s an art class called “Mixed Media” and in Winter Quarter we make our own Cornell boxes!

• Julianne March 1st, 2012 9:10 PM

This post aligns amazingly with where I am in my life right now. I associate spring with a certain kind of high school nostalgia that is very very very important to me, for various reasons. Anyway, last week I started to collect all these things that are important to me and synthesize them into my spring look, for their “personal references and memories” and how they stand out to me like Tavi said. I started a Tumblr for them, went to a secondhand store looking for things that aligned with them, and I can’t wait to start dressing more daringly, as a testament to all these things that I love. :)

• Nomi March 1st, 2012 9:20 PM

omg yes i love this theme
    i live in nyc and its the best thing ever to go exploring in the not-so-touristy neighborhoods, like the lower east side or harlem or especially flushing

• Emilie March 1st, 2012 9:30 PM

Oooooh I lurve this month’s theme!

• isadora March 1st, 2012 9:37 PM

I guess this is my favorite theme so far

• ivoire March 1st, 2012 9:40 PM

i wish i could send something in but i have nothing. i never explore (except for the internet)

• marit March 1st, 2012 11:22 PM

Wow I love exploring and I can’t wait for this month! It sounds awesome. I’ve got my doing things tape mustache all ready to go:) (also: I definitely need to stop spending so much time on tumblr and start actually using the inspiration! Thanks tavi)

• Adrienne March 2nd, 2012 12:08 AM

Awesome! I look forward to this month. :)

• Jace March 2nd, 2012 1:20 AM

I’ve decided to explore the outdoors more than usual this month. This means I’ll be walking, OUTSIDE, to the mailbox.

• Izzy March 2nd, 2012 6:24 AM

this looks to be the best month ever!

• Anna March 2nd, 2012 1:10 PM

I love this. Everything you just said <3

• phiely March 3rd, 2012 11:24 AM

This is such an inspiration! It’s springtime, folks, let’s move on! :)

• Coconut Bible March 3rd, 2012 4:05 PM

This was beautiful and just put words on how I felt this past month. So, just letting you know, Tavi and the world, that I’m looking forward for this month of March! Let’s explore!

Much Love, Laure
    ps: Rookiemag is amazing,

• Thepunkrocker March 4th, 2012 4:30 PM

this is exciting because i am into sci-fi and robots and astronomy and HOW THE INTERNET HAS SPOILED OUR ADVENTURE TRAVEL.

• PussyGalore March 5th, 2012 5:34 AM

Dear Tavi,
    I wanna be your best friend
    be my revolution
    x

• annamalous March 7th, 2012 4:52 PM

uh, tavi, i think you might have been exploring my brain. haha. everything you said really resonates with me… thank you sooo much!<3

• cambieheartsyou March 8th, 2012 11:01 PM

• Tiffany March 11th, 2012 1:25 AM

i always look forward to reading your editor’s letter every month!!! perfect writing.. witty yet meaningful at the same time

• ellebee March 19th, 2012 10:04 PM

i am in Argentina….fall is just starting.

but happy to know somewhere in this world, someone will be enjoying Spring soon.

much love from Bs.As.