Style

Because You Can

Sporty, easy, layered looks to meet an early spring.

With apologies to my winter-bound friends in the Southern Hemisphere, it is currently spring up here north of the equator, and IT IS SO WONDERFUL I AM FREAKING OUT. The other day I went to the farmers’ market, where I spied the first magnolia blossoms of the season, and I was so stunned to see COLORFUL THINGS ERUPTING FROM TREES that I just stood there, slack-jawed and gawking, as delighted and confused as a caveman with an iPhone.

Clockwise from top left: via Born in Flames, Vanessa Jackman, and Fashion Spot.

If it’s getting warm where you are, too, then I invite you to join me in throwing off our winter armor! No more for us the donning of overcoats, the doubling of tights. Let us turn our attention to a simpler way of dressing, suited to windy early-spring days and hikes through thawing parks. We’ll dress simply in tawny browns and olive greens, saving the acid-bright colors for later, when we’re sure this whole spring thing isn’t a fluke. For now we just wanna wear something comfy and easy, remember the feel of the sun on our skin, throw a sweater and a sandwich (crucial sandwichspiration here) in a knapsack and go exploring, even if we don’t go far. Spring is the best because it makes even the slushy streets and soggy grass of our own neighborhoods feel new again.

Clockwise from top left: Blog Lou, A Curious Fancy, Tomboy Style, and Vanessa Jackman.

Photo: Turned Out by Maya. Cheap Monday Holly T-shirt, $35, Weekday. Jean shorts, vintage. Buy vintage or new: $45 at ASOS, $17 at Forever 21. Olive backpack, $38, Army Navy Shop. Camo hat, $15, E4hats. Over-the-knee socks, $3, Forever 21. Vans Old Skool sneakers, vintage. Buy new, $55, Zappos. Pocket Outdoor Survival Guide, $10, Amazon. Burt’s Bees Sunblock Stick, $10, Lovely Skin. Spanish trail mix, make your own.

• herdinthehalls March 29th, 2012 7:04 PM

I like this. This is cute.

Unrelated: But I giggled at the Harold and Maude background.

• neenah March 30th, 2012 4:17 PM

I too giggled at the Harold and Maude background. Maude is my model for how I want to be when I’m old.

• FashionHauties March 29th, 2012 7:07 PM

Love! I am soo dressing like the last picture tomorrow. Helplessly rugged :)

• aliceee March 29th, 2012 7:23 PM

this is so lovely!! perfect for slushy sunny days. I’m heading into winter, but that just means it goes below the eighties, so this is still perfect

• missblack March 29th, 2012 7:33 PM

OH, YES. Overall shorts are on the top of my ‘MUST WEAR ALL SUMMER’ list.

Little&Trivial

• ravenflamingo March 29th, 2012 7:47 PM

I’ve been so stumped about what to wear lately and this article is like an answer to my fashion prayers. THANK YOU!

ravenflamingo.tumblr.com

• nia March 29th, 2012 8:06 PM

Harold and Maude background basically cements my love for Rookie for the rest of eternity.

And an excuse to buy over-the-knee socks! Yayy!

• KinuKinu March 29th, 2012 8:11 PM

awww SO AWESOME!!! I adore the girl with the yellow socks and GORGEOUS haircut.Yay for warm weather…..it wasn’t really cold here in Florida,but at least I no longer get really annoying sneezles :)

• lxa March 29th, 2012 9:12 PM

I just had a flashback of putting on my favorite article of clothing in preschool: overalls. I must go buy some!

• purplebabaushka March 29th, 2012 10:01 PM

unrelated but I <3 harold and maude- it's soo amzing!!!! I cry every time!

• Mishapunk March 29th, 2012 11:51 PM

This is too cool.
    I’ll deifinitely be going on a cute hike or nature walk with some friends:)

• thedoctorhastwohearts March 30th, 2012 12:45 AM

*Unrelated* I’m not entirely certain about this but I followed the sandwichspiration link and an ad popped up on the page, which is perfectly fine. But once I exited out of the ad it lead to a completely different site. On the new site it said something about danger & I think it might have been scanning my computer. 0,0 It might have been just my computer or maybe I clicked something wrong but I wanted to throw that out there in case it is dangerous.
    Sorry to be a buzz-kill :p

• Anaheed March 30th, 2012 12:47 AM

Are you sure you didn’t accidentally click ON the ad when you thought you were exiting the ad? Because the site that’s being linked to is perfectly safe — it’s just New York Magazine’s food blog.

• thedoctorhastwohearts March 30th, 2012 1:06 AM

That’s probably what happened, I just didn’t want to ~not~ say anything and then someone else say something happened and I could’ve prevented it because I’m neurotic like that :p Sorry

• Anaheed March 30th, 2012 1:21 AM

No apology necessary! I really do appreciate it when you guys point out glitches and typos and problems, so we can fix them.

• Hannah. March 30th, 2012 1:09 AM

Quuick I have to dress like this before it gets too cold! Thanks for apologising. :)

• neenah March 30th, 2012 4:18 PM

Most excellent! My favorite early spring look has always been a light sweater and and shorts. Currently in love with Boden’s cricket sweater and cutoffs:)

• Adrienne March 30th, 2012 6:34 PM

Oooh love this! I really like the first outfit and the one with the overalls. :))))))

• Dayzee March 31st, 2012 9:40 AM

nice article, i love the inspiration! but, um, I’m still going to wear acid bright colours 24/7, thank you very much. haha

• Ben April 1st, 2012 3:02 PM

It’s still cold here. but i like the outfit with the overalls and oversized cardigan! Like I really love it! It’s awesome!

• allyishere April 2nd, 2012 3:29 AM

thank you for acknowledging that on the other side of the world we’re heading into crazy cold times.
    often i feel we are forgotten.