Style

How to Look Like Juliet

A DIY for an angelic hairstyle that would make a Capulet proud.

Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet (1996) is a movie rife with visual inspiration, from the set design to the crazy bright Catholic imagery to the wild floral Hawaiian shirts worn by Romeo’s gang.

This past Halloween I was inspired by Claire Danes’s angelic costume-party get-up and threw on a pair of feathered wings and styled my hair into my own take on Juliet’s halo look. The hairstyle I created that night was my inspiration behind this video tutorial, and I hope you guys are into it. It’s the perfect hairstyle for days when you’re feeling a little dreamy, and it’s super-easy to do, too.

Here I am last Halloween with my wings and wild angel hair. I added a salt spray for texture and teased the ends a bit with a fine-tooth comb.

Now you’re ready to fall in love with the offspring of your family’s mortal enemy. Just don’t stab yourself, please! ♦

• flowerchild49 February 16th, 2012 11:24 PM

love me! love me! say that you love me!

• Kathryn February 16th, 2012 11:26 PM

so lovely! I recently cut off 10 inches of hair and now it’s very short, but this would still work, right?

• ravenflamingo February 17th, 2012 9:04 PM

I think it would look super cute short, it would be kinda like Alexa Chung’s hair.

• Annelalala February 16th, 2012 11:31 PM

Preeeettty! I wish my hair was long enough :/ I got a pixie cut 2 years ago and it has only just now passed the ‘awkward-grow-out’ stage and is down by my shoulders.

Ahh, someday, I will have hair enough to try this :)

• hazeleyedgirl February 17th, 2012 7:17 PM

I am in EXACTLY the same situation, except my hair is past my shoulders now. I almost cried with happiness when my hair was long enough to put up with chopsticks again :)

• Chloe Elizabeth February 17th, 2012 12:08 AM

I am obsessed with braids right now! Always loved them, but I think Katniss Everdeen may have reincarnated my love. Always looking for a new braided look! Thanks!

• Adrienne February 17th, 2012 12:17 AM

Woah… this is so pretty! My hair is in layers right now, so my hair sticks out whenver I braid it haha! But I’ll grow them out (eventually…) ;)

• ivoire February 17th, 2012 12:23 AM

reading romeo and juliet at school right now y’all

• salomeforever February 17th, 2012 1:19 AM

My hair’s in a weird grow-out phase (was a pixie cut a year ago), and I do crazy, haphazard french braids wherever they’ll fit while my hair’s a bit damp and then hairspray them. I usually wear them for about 2-3 days, they get messy and pieces stick out but i just keep spraying and occasionally tucking as the day goes on. It looks very tough girl/sweet girl and i’m loving it, and when i finally take the braids out i have crazy almost-crimped hair. Don’t be afraid of the sticky-outy pieces! I never did braids because they frustrated me, but once I gave up on them being perfect I found they look really really cool!

• Susann February 17th, 2012 1:44 AM

Hannah, you’re so pretty! And that hairstyle is lovely :)

• Lotta February 17th, 2012 4:10 AM

Ok, i’ll do it if it means Leonardo DiCaprio will fall in love with me….

• Ellie February 18th, 2012 8:57 PM

RIIIIIIGHT? Same here…

• Dayzee February 17th, 2012 5:16 AM

ahh so lovely! I can’t do this with my hair because it is short and really curly, I usually can’t do hair tutorials anyway.

• sarahbeara February 20th, 2012 3:41 PM

yeah i hate that soo much. curly hair is such a burden sometimes

• evee February 17th, 2012 5:26 AM

Wish I hadn’t cut most of my hair off last summer so I could try this! :(

• erin February 17th, 2012 9:08 AM

she braids like lightening! this hairstyle is so pretty, but I cannot fathom how she braided her short little bangs. I still haven’t gotten the hang of braiding my bangs, even now that they’re as long as my face!

keepingupwithunstuck.blogspot.com

• CassieLea February 17th, 2012 9:14 AM

I love the way this looks but my hair is too short! Btw, what do you use on your skin (products/moisturizer)?

• rosiesayrelax February 17th, 2012 9:17 AM

a very imaginative halloween costume, i must say! I think I’ve been a cat for the past 4 years.

• anikeiko February 17th, 2012 10:52 AM

Very nice. Miss Hannah has a clear advantage and head start with her good looks and hair!

• Kate February 17th, 2012 11:45 AM

This is kind of random, but I don’t think I’ve ever read a negative comment on Rookie. It must be because we are all awesome happy people who eat cakes made of rainbows.

• Ellie February 18th, 2012 8:59 PM

Duh. Have tried the new rainbow cakes from the Emerald City? I heard the Wizard and Wonka collaborated, so they’re like, heavenly.

• ReneeRevolution February 17th, 2012 12:18 PM

So adorable! I might have to try this today. Too bad center parts look weird on me >_<

You've also quite impressed me with your bangs braiding skill. I've yet to master that! :)

• katieeleanor February 17th, 2012 12:41 PM

this is the best thing i’ve ever done to my hair ever, THANK YOU ROOKIE

• Hannah February 19th, 2012 4:16 PM

So glad to hear it! :)

• KayKay February 17th, 2012 1:44 PM

I love it, it’s so pretty! I’m definitely gonna try this tomorrow and hopefully my french braiding skills will have improved by then :)

• smilingrottenflesh February 17th, 2012 3:45 PM

I can’t decide which part is my favorite, the LOTR reference or the bit when she picked up that lamp to show the braiding clearer. <3

Excited to try this look out with my crazy curls. Braids are my go-to technique whenever my hair and I have creative differences, I'm sure other curly-haired folk can empathize. I've never braided along my temples before though – thrilling new territory!

• Lascelles February 17th, 2012 4:05 PM

I always thought they copied the 1968 version with a braided crown, halo instead of… whatever is on Olivia’s head :D Claire’s hair covered her ears slightly less too, which I think did not work. I guess it’s looks less old fashioned? Then, really what’s the point? Center, mid bang part, cover ears, braid in the *back*. That’s Juliet for me. Braid is family, formal. That’s why I think she slowly looses it through the films, after the party. I hope Hailee Steinfeld gets it right in her new film.

• MissKnowItAll February 17th, 2012 4:41 PM

Does this look come with Leonardo Dicaprio as well? If so then count me in :)

• Allison February 17th, 2012 4:56 PM

Super cute! I bet this would look awesome with some little ribbons braided in, or some flowers tucked behind your ears. Or both! Dreamy overload!

• Pemmsan February 17th, 2012 7:14 PM

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. This site is really starting to scare me. I literally thought about Juliet and how she dresses/looks in Baz Luhrmanns movie this morning, and I haven’t thought about that for three years. HOW DO YOU KEEP READING MY MIND??

• Pemmsan February 17th, 2012 7:18 PM

Oh and I used to be obsessed with how to make Juliet’s halo-hairdo (again, telepathy) soo pretty!

• Hannah February 19th, 2012 4:16 PM

I love reading peoples’ minds! ;)

• koolkat February 18th, 2012 6:21 PM

that was claire danes?! I remember watching that film in english class a few years ago and in the part where they are doing… stuff this guy in my class passed out :P

• Hannah February 19th, 2012 4:15 PM

haha that’s hilarious!

• Ellie February 18th, 2012 9:00 PM

LOVELY. <3

• lazyeyelid February 20th, 2012 5:24 AM

this is great! Thank you for the tutorial! I seem to always miss the point where you should stop adding new sections of hair to the braid though. Hopefully it’s something that comes with practice.
    You have amazing eyes!

• mishka February 22nd, 2012 9:36 AM

love this, and it is the first tutorial for french braiding that ever actually explained how to do it in a way i understood!!

i would love to see a tutorial on how to use a hair straightener to curl your hair. i’ve heard it’s possible but keep ending up with strange big crimps.

thank you!

• Julianne February 23rd, 2012 3:28 PM

I’m dying to cop your angel look. What luminizer/foundation is that that makes your skin so glowy? And is that a berry lipstain? I must know!!